Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persona 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Yeah I found both de and fr grand before. Should have been here yesterday.
    What a bummer.

Does it say which carrier they are using?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Xenji wrote: »
    Does it say which carrier they are using?
    Not that I can see, just says Fast Delivery the seller was Amazon themselves.
    Edit : ASENDIA_FLAT :( not looking good

Not that I can see, just says Fast Delivery the seller was Amazon themselves.
    Edit : ASENDIA_FLAT :( not looking good

At this point and the length you have been waiting with Asendia to deliver it has probably gone missing just going on personal experience and plenty of other users here, although had two games turn up from them 7 weeks later that Amazon had refunded.

At this point and the length you have been waiting with Asendia to deliver it has probably gone missing just going on personal experience and plenty of other users here, although had two games turn up from them 7 weeks later that Amazon had refunded.
    Bummer.
    So hopefully I get refunded, anywhere to check for it? Always look on PriceSpy but nothing, just showing only a pre order.
    Really don't fancy going digital but it's not looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Amazon.com has the steelbook edition for 74 or 75(with shipping included) since i got my refund i was thinking of maybe buying it but Im afraid of customs. Anyone know how much they would charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Bummer.
    So hopefully I get refunded, anywhere to check for it? Always look on PriceSpy but nothing, just showing only a pre order.
    Really don't fancy going digital but it's not looking good.

€40 on www.videogamesplus.ca inc shipping for a US PS3 copy. Their shipping is pretty fast and usually gets past customs without charge.

cinnamony wrote: »
    Amazon.com has the steelbook edition for 74 or 75(with shipping included) since i got my refund i was thinking of maybe buying it but Im afraid of customs. Anyone know how much they would charge?

Amazon.com orders have you prepay customs avoiding An Posts additional handling charge. If it gets through customs without charge the fee will be refunded.

Amazon.com orders have you prepay customs avoiding An Posts additional handling charge. If it gets through customs without charge the fee will be refunded.

Hey thank you so much :) is there any chance I'll get Asendia since I'm paying shipping do you know?

Hey thank you so much :) is there any chance I'll get Asendia since I'm paying shipping do you know?

Amazon.com usually use DHL for international shipping iirc, haven't ordered anything there in months. Last thing I ordered was the Fist of the North Star complete dvd collection (21 discs) for $25 back in July.

Rightstuf in the US use Ascendia for European shipping and never had a problem with them, although they do provide tracking unlike Amazon for which I've also had issues.

Amazon.com usually use DHL for international shipping iirc, haven't ordered anything there in months. Last thing I ordered was the Fist of the North Star complete dvd collection (21 discs) for $25 back in July.

Rightstuf in the US use Ascendia for European shipping and never had a problem with them, although they do provide tracking unlike Amazon for which I've also had issues.

Yeah DHL would make more sense as the shipping costs $21.

Right! I'll probably do it just need to decide between steelbook edition on Amazon or Normal edition on videogames.ca or wait a little longer :pac:

• Advertisement

€40 on www.videogamesplus.ca inc shipping for a US PS3 copy. Their shipping is pretty fast and usually gets past customs without charge.
    Really? I never had fast postage from CA but they do usually have great prices.
    If Amazon.com pay up front for custom fees / import whatever it is, that sounds great.

Yeah DHL would make more sense as the shipping costs $21.

Right! I'll probably do it just need to decide between steelbook edition on Amazon or Normal edition on videogames.ca or wait a little longer :pac:

Thats $21 including the customs charge, shipping is $5.99.

Really? I never had fast postage from CA but they do usually have great prices.
    If Amazon.com pay up front for custom fees / import whatever it is, that sounds great.

VGP offer DHL and UPS options as well for shipping, so you could get it in 2-3 days.

Oops didnt realize most of it was customs aha :O

So which seller would you guys recommend? Amazon or the canadian one?

Oops didnt realize most of it was customs aha :O

So which seller would you guys recommend? Amazon or the canadian one?

I have never had any custom issues with VGP, they say on the package it is just a small toy, they have free worldwide shipping at the minute so for the PS4 version it would cost €54 and you would have it in 10-12 days, or you could use the DHL service and have it in 2-3 days but it would be €76.

I have never had any custom issues with VGP, they say on the package it is just a small toy, they have free worldwide shipping at the minute so for the PS4 version it would cost €54 and you would have it in 10-12 days, or you could use the DHL service and have it in 2-3 days but it would be €76.

Thanks a million! I have no issue waiting 2 weeks as I wont be finished college yet anyway. Just want it to get here this time really :D aha I'll check out my cart then!
    Edit: Bleh not eligible for free shipping! Ah well no problemo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

As somebody who has never played a JRPG before (well besides one FF game), I am really enjoying this. I knew I would enjoy the real-world interactions, exploration etc but I am surprisingly enjoying the combat as well (I could never take to FF combat), and managing your HP/SP is tough but a good bit of fun also. Still lots of areas where I'm not 100% on such as fusions (only done the first one, still doing the first palace), but I'm getting the hang of it.

I do find the restrictions on what you can do in the real world a bit annoying. For example, I left the first palace to regenerate HP/SP, but before going to sleep wanted to make a coffee to use for the next visit, but it wouldn't let me cause I was too tired :/ Or I can only make 2 lockpicks but then need to sleep (or even the fact you can't enter your room without progressing to evening time). I get the design behind it, but still slightly frustrating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Benzino wrote: »
    As somebody who has never played a JRPG before (well besides one FF game), I am really enjoying this. I knew I would enjoy the real-world interactions, exploration etc but I am surprisingly enjoying the combat as well (I could never take to FF combat), and managing your HP/SP is tough but a good bit of fun also. Still lots of areas where I'm not 100% on such as fusions (only done the first one, still doing the first palace), but I'm getting the hang of it.

I do find the restrictions on what you can do in the real world a bit annoying. For example, I left the first palace to regenerate HP/SP, but before going to sleep wanted to make a coffee to use for the next visit, but it wouldn't let me cause I was too tired :/ Or I can only make 2 lockpicks but then need to sleep (or even the fact you can't enter your room without progressing to evening time). I get the design behind it, but still slightly frustrating.

I've been saying it for years but FF games have very poor combat systems compared to the very best jrpgs and this puts people off the genre. Persona games and it's parent franchise shin Megami Tensei are right near the top and put that series to shame.

As for your other problem. In a wold were everyone wants to get all the achievements and do all the side quests you just need to relax. Accept the fact that you can't do everything in a playthrough and do the best you can. It's a far more enjoyable game once you accept that and it's hiw I play western rpgs as well. Just accept your mistakes and accept the fact that your are the one in control of the story and not the designer.

In terms if fusions. Always fuse to get higher level demons. It's not pokemon. Demon's cap out and you are better off with high level demons than sticking with low level ones and getting murdered because it takes forever to level up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I very much believe not being able to do everything is a fundamental part of these games' identity and appeal, I do find it maddening how often Morgana says 'let's not do that tonight'. Sure, finite time is one of the key elements of the Persona alchemy, but I think the more explicitly artificial restrictions - often with no good reason - are a bit irritating in this one. Minor thing (and may ease off in the late game), but a noteworthy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Later on you can get an ability that lets you do activities in the evening even if you've been in the Metaverse that day.

As for the whole 'Morgana sending you to bed' thing- it only really happens during story sequences. Basically the game is structured into linear story sequences between the palaces, and then you have a few weeks of doing whatever you want, then another story sequence after the deadline date. So if you think of those weeks inbetween palaces as extended story cutscenes where you are just watching events unfold until gameplay opens up again, it makes more sense. It's just more obvious here because the game gives you control in your room in Leblanc pretty much every single night of the game, even if you can't do anything- it would be a bit less jarring if they just skipped to the next day through cutscenes and maybe gave you a save prompt instead.

As for my own little review of the game- it's excellent, of course, and has great gameplay, polish and aesthetics. But personally I prefer the cast in Persona 4- there was a real sense of strong and lifelong friendship being created, that I felt from the Investigation Team. With the Phantom Thieves, because everything is so serious and the plot is a lot more 'event-heavy', the team doesn't really get developed as much. Kind of exemplified by how they don't share an Arcana as a whole, like how the Fool Arcana worked in previous games. Thematically the Phantom Thieves make perfect sense of course, and it works perfectly in the game, it's just I personally prefer the more 'friendship-oriented' feeling P4 had.

A few other nitpicks:
    • why is there no non-straight romance? I didn't like any of the girls(I ended up romancing Ohya because she would at least be a bit of a fun fling), but I would have loved to romance Yusuke, despite not being gay myself.
    • 'Queen' gets a disproportionate amount of screen time, lines, and development compared to everyone else. It's annoying.
    • 4th Palace onwards spoilers :
      I don't like how the group treats Futuba as a project to fix, can't put my finger on it, but the way they take turns spending time with her to force her to be 'useful' for them is kind of creepy. In general I don't like Futuba anyway, she is stupidly OP plotwise, and as a depiction of social anxiety or awkwardness she is ridiculously unrealistic.
    • 5th Palace spoilers :
      Morgana's little mini arc of leaving the party is just dumb.
    • the plot is a bit 'black-and-white', there is no real nuance- the villains are just irreedemably evil people
    • the 'rebellion against society and adults' thing doesn't really connect with me personally, I think it's a bit cringey, but I understand it
    • in general the game might actually be a bit too long for its own good, frankly. I feel like there's at least one Palace you could drop without much hassle, and in terms of the pacing of the story, it's a bit stretched. I beat the game at just under 70 hours, but I read very quickly, skip through voiced scenes as soon as I've read the subtitles, and use guides for puzzles or dialogue choices- I can totally understand how some people are getting to ~100 hour first playthrough. That's a hell of a lot of time to invest in a game
    • there's the general Persona problem where while the games are about making friends, managing your time, and generally living life to the fullest, if you're playing a JRPG for 100 hours you are not doing any of those things, which is a bit disconcerting.

So yeah, it is still a 10/10 game, and for some people it could easily be their favourite game of all time, just personally the story and characters don't hit me on the wavelengths that I personally like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I like how much more useful status effects feel in this game even compared to P3 and P4. Technical attack bonus are handy for enemies with no or difficult to achieve weaknesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 monsterhunter

95 hours later... Finished this masterpiece! Got the 'true' ending too. Played about 15 minutes of NG+ and think I will leave it for a few months before tackling again.

95 hours later... Finished this masterpiece! Got the 'true' ending too. Played about 15 minutes of NG+ and think I will leave it for a few months before tackling again.

95 hours in and I am just on the 4th palace.

Still didn't find a copy. Hoping my friend will send me one from abroad instead. Too paranoid to order from France or Germany incase I get that crowd again. UK hasn't it still.

Still didn't find a copy. Hoping my friend will send me one from abroad instead. Too paranoid to order from France or Germany incase I get that crowd again. UK hasn't it still.

There are a few GameStop stores that currently have stock of the PS3 version if one is nearby.

https://www.gamestop.ie/StoreLocator/Index?productId=62065&variantType=New

There are a few GameStop stores that currently have stock of the PS3 version if one is nearby.

https://www.gamestop.ie/StoreLocator/Index?productId=62065&variantType=New
    Thanks loads! It's in my local, not feeling the best tonight but hopefully I'll be able to stroll in tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

95 hours in and I am just on the 4th palace.

You must be doing a huge amount of grinding if that's the case? Frankly I'm surprised that's even possible. I'm on the fourth palace and have only put in around a third of the time you have, and feel there's a lot of restrictions on the likes of Mementos that would make it hard to actually spend much more time to get to the point I'm at... I'm not rushing, nor am I trying to collect every single Persona along the way, but yeah that seems like a whole lot of time for the amount of game you've played!

You must be doing a huge amount of grinding if that's the case? Frankly I'm surprised that's even possible. I'm on the fourth palace and have only put in around a third of the time you have, and feel there's a lot of restrictions on the likes of Mementos that would make it hard to actually spend much more time to get to the point I'm at... I'm not rushing, nor am I trying to collect every single Persona along the way, but yeah that seems like a whole lot of time for the amount of game you've played!

I think it is more due to the fact I have been getting distracted and leaving the game running, it is just not holding my attention as much as previous entries have, not that I am not enjoying it, but it is draining at times.

My MC is only level 30, and I am about half way through the 4th palace, thankfully I have not needed to do any grinding yet, I have probably been investing too much time with social links as I have around 13-14 unlocked already and improving my skills to get certain ones to unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'm about 44 hours in and at the fourth palace. I tend to let the days count down closer to the deadline to allow me to improve my social links, unlocks skills and do mementos requests. I haven't started the 4th palace yet, but there are 9 days left so it's the next thing for me to do now.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, I find there is no grinding to it and your characters seem to level yup at a nice pace (my main character is 30). I do tend to ignore some aspects, like trying to get the Persona requested by the twins (dunno where to look for them) and using the blank cards, but it doesn't seem to be hindering my progress. I can't see me playing this a second time though considering how long it takes!

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    I'm about 44 hours in and at the fourth palace. I tend to let the days count down closer to the deadline to allow me to improve my social links, unlocks skills and do mementos requests. I haven't started the 4th palace yet, but there are 9 days left so it's the next thing for me to do now.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, I find there is no grinding to it and your characters seem to level yup at a nice pace (my main character is 30). I do tend to ignore some aspects, like trying to get the Persona requested by the twins (dunno where to look for them) and using the blank cards, but it doesn't seem to be hindering my progress. I can't see me playing this a second time though considering how long it takes!

All of the Personas required for the twin are obtained through fusion. You will need to either inherit or use a gallows execution to obtain the required skill.

Advertisement