Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persona 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

megaten wrote: »
    I enjoyed Persona 5 but the summer months definitely had pacing problems. Not as bad as Persona 3 where almost nothing happens until the end but its still an issue.

At least you are implying it will get better... Only at end June though..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cina wrote: »
    it's probably the most polished, rounded and brilliantly crafted JRPG I've ever played.

Do you think some day you'll play a game you actually like or will you just be miserable forever? :)

I was talking about the translation quality. No need to be a smart arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I was talking about the translation quality. No need to be a smart arse.

M'bad!

Yeah the English voices were crap.

If I do play it again I think I'll do Japanese with subtitles (is that even possible?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cina wrote: »
    M'bad!

Yeah the English voices were crap.

If I do play it again I think I'll do Japanese with subtitles (is that even possible?)

Atlus usually don't offer it, not sure if they changed that for Persona 5.

I don't mind the English voice actors, it's more the actual dialogue and text. It's like they machine translated the text and then just tidied it up where there's no flare or personality. Atlus are top of the pile when it comes to localisation and P5 is a big step backwards from P3 and 4 which were pretty much the barometer for how to localise a difficult project well.

I'm pretty sure Atlus even said they rushed the translation of this one to get it out as quick as possible.

You can download the Jap voice pack from the psn store but as far as i know you have to start a new game to change the voices. I may be wrong there though, I didn't try particularly hard to change them

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Atlus usually don't offer it, not sure if they changed that for Persona 5.

I don't mind the English voice actors, it's more the actual dialogue and text. It's like they machine translated the text and then just tidied it up where there's no flare or personality. Atlus are top of the pile when it comes to localisation and P5 is a big step backwards from P3 and 4 which were pretty much the barometer for how to localise a difficult project well.

I'm pretty sure Atlus even said they rushed the translation of this one to get it out as quick as possible.
    Yeah I know what you mean. I only played P4 on the Vita, years after its original release and I was blown away by the standard of voice acting and dialogue in it. P5 was a big letdown in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm OK with the VA

Just the dialogue is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

You can download the Jap voice pack from the psn store but as far as i know you have to start a new game to change the voices. I may be wrong there though, I didn't try particularly hard to change them
    Nah man you can change it in the Save menu AFAIK

I must try that next time I play. I quite like the English dub but it's always nice to have the choice :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I played with Japanese voices from the start, and I reckon reading slightly off dialogue is probably a tad better than hearing it. Still, the game’s writing is definitely weak, both in translation and through the source material: the conversations are reliably overlong; every plot point or potential subtlety overtly and insistently explained; and the whole script just short of the sort of character seen in the earlier games.

I’ve said before I’d love to see the next game more radically mix up the formula as IMO it’s grown stale in Persona 5 despite the things it clearly does well. I think a departure from the visual novel style to a sharper and, well, more visual storytelling approach would be one change I’d love to see, albeit maybe wishful thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

When does this actually kick off? I've been playing for 6-7 hours and it still feels like I'm in a tutorial. Currently in Kamoshida's palace, going after his heart.

I'm enjoying it so far but I want a little more freedom. Like when you're in the bedroom and try to go downstairs, I get "I should go to bed".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

J. Marston wrote: »
    When does this actually kick off? I've been playing for 6-7 hours and it still feels like I'm in a tutorial. Currently in Kamoshida's palace, going after his heart.

I'm enjoying it so far but I want a little more freedom. Like when you're in the bedroom and try to go downstairs, I get "I should go to bed".

It opens up a good bit after the first dungeon, but unfortunately you'll have to deal with Morgana being an ass about that the entire game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I thought the first arc was the best to be honest, if your not enjoying it now I'm not sure if you'd enjoy the rest?
    Its not like the basic gameplay loop changes later on or anything.

megaten wrote: »
    I thought the first arc was the best to be honest, if your not enjoying it now I'm not sure if you'd enjoy the rest?
    Its not like the basic gameplay loop changes later on or anything.

I disagree there. The game takes a solid 15+ hours to really open up and get going properly, and doesn't turn into a great game until maybe 25-30 hours in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

One of the lads at work has this for the last while and has clocked up 50 hours so far, thinks it would be right up my alley (anime, crazy). I do like the look of it, and thankfully you can pick the Japanese audio, but I was never a fan of turn based games. I checked a few videos, and it doesn't look too bad in comparison to others* but I'm still unsure. It's currently €25 for the Ultimate edition and I'm tempted to get it tomorrow. Can anyone sway me? Never played one of these before, so do I need to research 1-4 first?

* I didn't mind the turn based in South Park: Stick of Truth but hated the 'lanes' of Fractured But Whole. Which is this more like?

One of the lads at work has this for the last while and has clocked up 50 hours so far, thinks it would be right up my alley (anime, crazy). I do like the look of it, and thankfully you can pick the Japanese audio, but I was never a fan of turn based games. I checked a few videos, and it doesn't look too bad in comparison to others* but I'm still unsure. It's currently €25 for the Ultimate edition and I'm tempted to get it tomorrow. Can anyone sway me? Never played one of these before, so do I need to research 1-4 first?

* I didn't mind the turn based in South Park: Stick of Truth but hated the 'lanes' of Fractured But Whole. Which is this more like?

Might as well for the updated edition next year at this stage. They're all standalone though in the same world (3-5 at least). It depends on what you dislike about turn based games but battles in Persona tend to be very quick especially once you've know all the weaknesses for enemies in a specific dungeon. Only think I'd say is go at your own pace and don't rush yourself since a typical play through is 90 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Persona 5 is a solo game. Plays very well too and probably has one of the most stylish UIs I've ever seen in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah the game was a treat to play, its the only persona game ive played. I played with the English voices and they are great, great voice cast. My only complaint about the game is its too long, took me over 100 hours to complete, but did a good chunk of the side stuff also, but yeah, too long which is hardly a complaint really.

The soundtrack is incredible from the get go, i find myself still listening to songs still from the soundtrack. It also has multiple difficulty choices, so if the combat gets too grating/annoying for you, you can just bang it on easy and hammer through the story.

Awesome. Good to hear the the battles can be quick, and I may drop it to easy if I find my interest waning. I'll probably pick it up, hopefully it will be a game I can actually get into, having a dry spell of interest lately!

Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's a very good game but the cat drove me up the fúcking wall. Had to pack it in around September (in-game, you follow a school year calendar) because of it. I've never hated a character in a game to that extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is being added to PlayStation Hits on the 28th June but only in America. You'll be able to buy it on the us psn for 20 dollars but i think it's just the standard edition.

Awesome. Good to hear the the battles can be quick, and I may drop it to easy if I find my interest waning. I'll probably pick it up, hopefully it will be a game I can actually get into, having a dry spell of interest lately!

Thanks folks!

Persona is a RPG that does turn based battles right. I'd wait for the updated edition though.

Would the extra stuff not be released for this when it comes out, or specific to the updated edition? My mate really thinks this is a game for me, so he has me more or less buying it (after the recommendations here too that it's good).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Would the extra stuff not be released for this when it comes out, or specific to the updated edition? My mate really thinks this is a game for me, so he has me more or less buying it (after the recommendations here too that it's good).

From what I've learnt, it wont be a DLC addition, you would have to buy that version of the game again in order to play it. Which is a pain in the arse really for those who have already payed/played the main game, its a common thing with Persona games by the look of it, so ill just hang on in the future.

The new version of the game will introduce an entirely new team member, dungeon, music, social interactions, a third semester!! among other things..

Normally id say **** it and go play the one thats out now, but it might actually be worth hanging on for the new version, considering how much they will be adding.

There are other similar games you could play in the mean time that are just as good if not better, im playing through Tales of Vesperia at the moment (which is great) and also picked you Dragon quest 11 which is meant to be incredible. Also have my eye on Tales of Berseria.. All of these would be similar to P5 in alot of ways, just not set in our modern world during school :D:pac:

Cool, may wait. But then again, at 100 hours for the average playthrough, and I'm usually a slower player anyway, I think I may get sick of it before I finish, unless it really does click with me. But yeah, maybe I'll wait just to be sure. Will the new one be full price I wonder? €25 for the ultimate edition seems like a good deal right now, but I suppose it did come out nearly 3 years ago, and this is not a Nintendo console/game!

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    This is being added to PlayStation Hits on the 28th June but only in America. You'll be able to buy it on the us psn for 20 dollars but i think it's just the standard edition.
    Good to know I played on PS3, wonder if I can do cloud save cross over to ps4 even if I buy it from the US though
    its mainly for royal I wanted to bring it over

Cool, may wait. But then again, at 100 hours for the average playthrough, and I'm usually a slower player anyway, I think I may get sick of it before I finish, unless it really does click with me. But yeah, maybe I'll wait just to be sure. Will the new one be full price I wonder? €25 for the ultimate edition seems like a good deal right now, but I suppose it did come out nearly 3 years ago, and this is not a Nintendo console/game!
    I always get sick of it eventually and take a break to play some like platform we or puzzles games for awhile. Way too long for to stick to altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Currently just shy of 20 hours into this game. Just about in the
    third palace

I have to admit I have it on the safe difficulty as I don't have the time to be grinding away, although it has ruined the a part of the game as expected!

I don't know, this game keeps pulling me back but I can't say that I am enamored with it. I loved Catherine so I presumed I would love this but its a very different game.

While the art style is very funky, the whole thing has a very childish feel to it. Although, some of the themes raised are most certainly adult, so its quite the dichotomy.

I think I will keep going but I doubt I will push it to 70+ hours, especially if the story starts faltering.

I don't think any of the problems you have now will change over the course of the game. The only thing I'd say is that you shouldn't have to grind in persona (not 4 and 5 anyways) but on higher difficulties you can lose progress from unlucky battles (around 20mins maybe). I played Persona 3 Portable on easy and I think it hurt my experience with it.

• Advertisement

Currently just shy of 20 hours into this game. Just about in the
    third palace

I have to admit I have it on the safe difficulty as I don't have the time to be grinding away, although it has ruined the a part of the game as expected!

I don't know, this game keeps pulling me back but I can't say that I am enamored with it. I loved Catherine so I presumed I would love this but its a very different game.

While the art style is very funky, the whole thing has a very childish feel to it. Although, some of the themes raised are most certainly adult, so its quite the dichotomy.

I think I will keep going but I doubt I will push it to 70+ hours, especially if the story starts faltering.
    The first 20 hours are arguably the weakest of the entire game so I would stick with it if you got this far. It's a really slow burner, definitely takes a good while to get going but once it does it's fantastic.

You really shouldn't need to grind on normal difficulty anyway. As long as you explore all the dungeons and fight all the enemies you come across you'll be fine. It's more about picking the best team and personas for different situations rather than trying to powerhouse your way through enemies by being over-leveled. Most dungeons are doable in a single in-game day (up until before the final boss) if you're clever about them.

Advertisement