Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persona 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

If you're thinking of playing others first, I heard people having trouble going from 4 back to 3. If you decide to play the others I'd stick with Portable P3 and not PS2 P3 if you do, portable let's you control party members.
    They both took me about 90 hours they're pretty long but I didn't feel it much, took a break every now and again to play platforms.

Nice, by portable i take it you mean PS vita?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

I had a way to remember them but forgot it, like garu - gale

I spend a lot of time in the dungeons to level up and ended up memorizing the base words

Agi = Fire
    Garu = Wind
    Bufu = Ice
    Zio = Electricity
    Hama = Light
    Mudo = Darkness

Then anything that contains a form of those is an upgraded version of that skill!

Also I think I saw that Persona 5 is going to reintroduce the ability to negotiate with demons, that will be interesting :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really hope this game borrows the SMT4 fusion system, it was a massive improvement on what went before. So much more user friendly.

Anyway, did anyone really think this would be anything less than amazing? Even outside of Persona Atlus have been pumping out incredible RPGs that embarrass the likes of Square and **** like Ni No Kuni.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

nix wrote: »
    Nice, by portable i take it you mean PS vita?
    Older, PSP but you can get it on the Vita. I think the girls playthru is harder, I'm sure it says "for more experienced players" or something. Someone will correct that if it's wrong.
    I've played it twice so if you get stuck feel free to ask me, there's a general JRPG thread around.
    Edit : buffs and debuffs (raising your attack and weakening the enemy) are important in the games I found it more in these than other games.
    cinnamony wrote: »
    I spend a lot of time in the dungeons to level up and ended up memorizing the base words

Also I think I saw that Persona 5 is going to reintroduce the ability to negotiate with demons, that will be interesting :)
    Oh I know by now after P3 Fes, P3P, P4 and SMT4 but a simpler one for Nix to remember. They've the list there.
    I loved the negotiating in SMTIV even when it was annoying, it was more funny especially when you think you're being clever and you're caught out :pac:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really hope this game borrows the SMT4 fusion system, it was a massive improvement on what went before. So much more user friendly.

Anyway, did anyone really think this would be anything less than amazing? Even outside of Persona Atlus have been pumping out incredible RPGs that embarrass the likes of Square and **** like Ni No Kuni.
    I havent played SMT4 but now you got me intrigued as I didnt like the fusion system in previous Persona games.

Honestly I believed in my heart that this game was going to be amazin :v but I never expected to see people calling it better than Final Fantasy because it seems the consensus is nothing can ever beat FF (though I personally prefer Persona) Atlus is just incredible tbh :v
    Older, PSP but you can get it on the Vita. I think the girls playthru is harder, I'm sure it says "for more experienced players" or something. Someone will correct that if it's wrong.
    I've played it twice so if you get stuck feel free to ask me, there's a general JRPG thread around.
    Edit : buffs and debuffs (raising your attack and weakening the enemy) are important in the games I found it more in these than other games.

Oh I know by now after P3 Fes, P3P, P4 and SMT4 but a simpler one for Nix to remember. They've the list there.
    I loved the negotiating in SMTIV even when it was annoying, it was more funny especially when you think you're being clever and you're caught out :pac:

The female protag isnt more difficult but it is different from the male protagonist which is why they recommend you play the female version after you play the protagonist :). Let me just say though I prefer the female protagonist, her speech choices can be so cheeky sometimes and she has a really lively personality. Also if you do 2 playthroughs with her you get a special ending which I dont think they have for the male.

Oh sorry I thought you were trying to remember them :v
    Oh yeah I feel the same way about the negotiating ability (from playing early persona games) and when you try to seduce them or something (cant remember what its called)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I havent played SMT4 but now you got me intrigued as I didnt like the fusion system in previous Persona games.

Honestly I believed in my heart that this game was going to be amazin :v but I never expected to see people calling it better than Final Fantasy because it seems the consensus is nothing can ever beat FF (though I personally prefer Persona) Atlus is just incredible tbh :v

Final Fantasy is great and all but it's hardly the greatest collection of JRPGs around. It's just the most well known in the rest. Plenty of people consider others games well ahead of that series, although FF Tactics is legitimate best game ever material.

Anyway, I loved SMT4 but it's no Persona 3 or 4 beater. They really did do a fantastic job of the fusion system though, no more selecting and cancelling fusions to get the right combination of fusions and full family trees of every demon you've made. Really made the process a lot less complicated.

The female protag isnt more difficult but it is different from the male protagonist which is why they recommend you play the female version after you play the protagonist :). Let me just say though I prefer the female protagonist, her speech choices can be so cheeky sometimes and she has a really lively personality. Also if you do 2 playthroughs with her you get a special ending which I dont think they have for the male.
    SMT4 took me 60 hours getting neutral first try by fluke, it's not as long and probably 30/40 if you get law or chaos. Definitely worth a play if you have a 3ds.

Ah! I wasn't too far off, there was a reason. I loved the fem MC, it's so much better in social links to be called your own name imo, I could finally be with Akihiko. I didn't know there was another ending, as much as I love it I haven't the time for a third P3 playthru, I'll YouTube it instead. Thanks for that.

I wished P4 had a fem MC for Golden it's a real missed opportunity to show the characters in different light, Nanako with a big sister, it'd be great.

I wonder if P5 would do a Fem MC down the line.

Just for a bit of fun, what's everyone's favourite Persona tracks? We can get back on topic Tuesday :pac:

I picked this, but it was close between that, Way of Life and Changing Seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Juriga

That's a really hard one but for me its probably Pursuing my true self, just cause it reminds me of how stylish the intro was and was the first thing i ever saw about the game.

I'd say it changes pretty often though what my favorite is but Changing season,During the test and i'll face myself are amazing not even talking about the anime OP's etc...

Really really like some persona 5 songs but i won't spoil any titles or anything just in case someone wants to remain spoiler free to even that extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Would this be the type of series i could just jump into or would you need to have played others? Looks great and would like to give it a go.

• Advertisement

Would this be the type of series i could just jump into or would you need to have played others? Looks great and would like to give it a go.

Each game takes place in the same world but the stories are totally self contained. There's always small references to older games but nothing that will leave you lost and confused.

If you do jump in (and you really really should) shin megami Tensei games are tougher than other JRPGs and require you to use a lot of tactics than normal. Status buffs and debuffs can be massively important for bosses and far more effective than wasting you time with grinding levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

The game looks fantastic and I'm tempted to splash out on Day 1. However I still don't 'get' JRPGs and, more significantly, I already own Persona 4 Golden! So I'd be mad to spend more money when I already have such a critically acclaimed Persona game sitting there looking at me.

Without trying to derail this thread, have you any advice for someone starting that game for the first time? What difficulty is best for someone new(ish) to turn-based JRPGs? Should I refer to a guide much or just play it blind?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Paleblood wrote: »
    The game looks fantastic and I'm tempted to splash out on Day 1. However I still don't 'get' JRPGs and, more significantly, I already own Persona 4 Golden! So I'd be mad to spend more money when I already have such a critically acclaimed Persona game sitting there looking at me.

Without trying to derail this thread, have you any advice for someone starting that game for the first time? What difficulty is best for someone new(ish) to turn-based JRPGs? Should I refer to a guide much or just play it blind?

Thanks.

I would try to hack it on normal, if this proves to difficult I would drop the difficulty.

Persona has one of the more involving combat systems and as mentioned, buffs and debuffs will help you more with harder enemies than trying to grind a couple of levels.

If you look at yesterday's posts nix kinda already asked that, if it's not enough ask again :)
    Thanks.
    Starting P4 Golden? Check cinnamony posts about the magic, I would say to make your party's social link as priority, it helps in battle. If you need more help go over to the general JRPG thread. Spoiler free guide if you need help, YouTube comments ruined it for me and it really took the impact off.

I'd advise not playing with a guide as it will slow things down and lessen the enjoyment I f the game. If you are having trouble with a boss check one up or want to unlock all social links then its a a good idea but using one to try and get everything is not going to be enjoyable. Just start it knowing you will have to miss some social link scenes and enjoy it for what it is.

Also stick with it. Persona 4 takes a notoriously long time to get started so give it a few hours before you give up. That and the first major boss is a baptism of fire (blocking negates weaknesses, very important here!)

Juriga wrote: »
    Really really like some persona 5 songs but i won't spoil any titles or anything just in case someone wants to remain spoiler free to even that extent.
    Thanks! I'm trying to go in as blind as possible, I did it LoZ BotW, played it at a friends and it was so amazing not to be like "oh I read about x, I saw in a video by y" I only knew what it looked like. It was like being a kid, going to your friends house and they've a new game and you don't know anything about it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thanks.

You may have already started but if not I'd say play on easy. The dungeons are the least fun part of the game so just make them easy for yourself imo.

As for using a guide it'll totally suck the fun out of it. This took me ages to get over, I restarted the game twice because I thought I was doing my social links wrong, and on the third time I was able to finally let go and just go hang out with whatever characters I wanted and liked. You can't max everything in one playthrough anyway. So no don't use a guide.

New Persona 5 Collaborations with Artemis Kings, Princess Cafe, Ikebukuro Marui -

http://personacentral.com/new-persona-5-collaborations-artemis-kings-princess-cafe-ikebukuro-marui/
    on the third time I was able to finally let go and just go hang out with whatever characters I wanted and liked. You can't max everything in one playthrough anyway. So no don't use a guide.
    I know that feeling too, didn't restart just let it go. I think Sun is usually a good story. For P3 chariot gives you a great summon at max makes the end game easier, I don't think there was something like that in P4.
    In P4 I actually didn't even link with Naoto I just watched it on YouTube it was a pity. Maxed Sun, Chie, Kanji, Tower, Moon, Hierphant, Justice, Hermit.

Actually Hermit/Fox is so good to get up in P4 because it helped in dungeons didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Have this on order from The Game Collection, hope they stay true to form and post it out tomorrow! Means my weekend will be sorted!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Final Fantasy is great and all but it's hardly the greatest collection of JRPGs around. It's just the most well known in the rest. Plenty of people consider others games well ahead of that series, although FF Tactics is legitimate best game ever material.

Anyway, I loved SMT4 but it's no Persona 3 or 4 beater. They really did do a fantastic job of the fusion system though, no more selecting and cancelling fusions to get the right combination of fusions and full family trees of every demon you've made. Really made the process a lot less complicated.

Oh that sounds soooooo much better! I spent so much time in P3 and P4 messing around with the fusions to get either certain monsters or monsters with certain skills, especially for the quests. So headwrecking... :confused:
    SMT4 took me 60 hours getting neutral first try by fluke, it's not as long and probably 30/40 if you get law or chaos. Definitely worth a play if you have a 3ds.

Ah! I wasn't too far off, there was a reason. I loved the fem MC, it's so much better in social links to be called your own name imo, I could finally be with Akihiko. I didn't know there was another ending, as much as I love it I haven't the time for a third P3 playthru, I'll YouTube it instead. Thanks for that.

I wished P4 had a fem MC for Golden it's a real missed opportunity to show the characters in different light, Nanako with a big sister, it'd be great.

I wonder if P5 would do a Fem MC down the line.

I looked it up and was like "Well damn..." cause I don't own a 3DS :( ahaha I guess I'll have to watch a playthrough of it, at least its better than nothing!

Actually funny story about names, I usually name my characters their official name but when I played persona for the first time I went the male route but gave him my own name, I have a really girly name and it was hillarious to see them calling him that :pac: :pac:
    Akihiko was my bae too btw, on that topic I cannot believe you can date Ken! :eek:
    You're welcome! Its just a nice addition tbh nothing extravagant!

I think so too!! Many fans have been asking for an FemMC and a cannon for the FeMC from P3P but its unlikely apparently, it would be super cool if they suprised us down the line!

Also for favorite Persona soundtrack its too much of a hard choice so...

Favorite opening:

Favorite indoors song:

Favorite walking around the school song :pac: :

Favorite after school song:

Favorite ultimate battle song:

Sorry guys I couldn't contain myself :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Are there any persona games on the PS3 worth playing?

Not too keen on splashing out on a vita to play 3 :cool:

nix wrote: »
    Are there any persona games on the PS3 worth playing?

Not too keen on splashing out on a vita to play 3 :cool:
    You can play P3 and P4 they should be in the PS2 section. You won't be able to control your party much in that P3, I've played i that way first, it's not impossible, Portable is just less frustrating. You could probably get a PSP though too, I got one for e60 the second version, it's a lot lighter than the first one that came out.

I looked it up and was like "Well damn..." cause I don't own a 3DS :( ahaha I guess I'll have to watch a playthrough of it, at least its better than nothing!

Actually funny story about names, I usually name my characters their official name but when I played persona for the first time I went the male route but gave him my own name, I have a really girly name and it was hillarious to see them calling him that :pac: :pac:
    Akihiko was my bae too btw, on that topic I cannot believe you can date Ken! :eek:
    You're welcome! Its just a nice addition tbh nothing extravagant!

I think so too!! Many fans have been asking for an FemMC and a cannon for the FeMC from P3P but its unlikely apparently, it would be super cool if they suprised us down the line!
    Hopefully you can find a good playthru of SMTIV not some annoying jerk.

I knew someone that had an Irish name, can't think if it but I thought it was a girls name lol. I called my P3 character Shou
    it means to soar, how lucky was that huh!?
    , in P4 I picked the default name.
    I'd love if they did more with the girl MCs in future.

Aki is so bae, I'd meat him at the beef bowl any night lol jkjk. Ken social link was too weird, I just mashed a and even when I gave rude replies, he liked it! Ugh it was worse then! Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Was going to wait and see if Argos would stock it, but seeing the lack of availability online has me concerned. Might just get it on GameSeek tonight, seems to be the only place that still has it.

17621942_1332919090135958_3301016779761092354_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=f463ef0b90d74b806045122e38ff0cd4&oe=5995D5B3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Benzino wrote: »
    Was going to wait and see if Argos would stock it, but seeing the lack of availability online has me concerned. Might just get it on GameSeek tonight, seems to be the only place that still has it.

Amazon France seem to still have stock of the TYH edition for €80,edit:now sold out. GameStop will also be selling the standard edition for €70.

Are you looking for a PS4 version? I said a few pages back I got the SMH version only for the goodies it's PS3 I want.

Hopefully you can find a good playthru of SMTIV not some annoying jerk.

I knew someone that had an Irish name, can't think if it but I thought it was a girls name lol. I called my P3 character Shou
    it means to soar, how lucky was that huh!?
    , in P4 I picked the default name.
    I'd love if they did more with the girl MCs in future.

Aki is so bae, I'd meat him at the beef bowl any night lol jkjk. Ken social link was too weird, I just mashed a and even when I gave rude replies, he liked it! Ugh it was worse then! Ugh.

There's this youtuber he's quite popular for his Persona/SMT playthroughs so I'm watching his, I must admit that opening scene was funny :pac:

LOL that would be so hillarious, everyone with their Japanese names and then suddenly Saoirse or something :pac::pac:
    lmao but I guess he did soar tbh
    That would be so so cool her personality was so kick ass and I loooove her Japanese VA!
    You kinda do when you get to level 10 of his relationship ;)
    RIGHT??? I actually saw a lot of players who chose to date him and I was like what the foooo??? He was the biggest let down for the FeMC playthrough gaaah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Are you looking for a PS4 version? I said a few pages back I got the SMH version only for the goodies it's PS3 I want.

Ah, I actually ordered it not long after my post, sorry!

• Advertisement

There's this youtuber he's quite popular for his Persona/SMT playthroughs so I'm watching his, I must admit that opening scene was funny :pac:

LOL that would be so hillarious, everyone with their Japanese names and then suddenly Saoirse or something :pac::pac:
    lmao but I guess he did soar tbh
    That would be so so cool her personality was so kick ass and I loooove her Japanese VA!
    You kinda do when you get to level 10 of his relationship ;)
    RIGHT??? I actually saw a lot of players who chose to date him and I was like what the foooo??? He was the biggest let down for the FeMC playthrough gaaah
    Oh good, you'll miss out in Persona Q not having a 3DS as well and SMTIV Final, I still have to play them myself though.

It was a downer, thanks bae makes up for it (actually got a figure of him after P3P lol), Sun is such a fantastic social link too, cri evrytiem lol. You reminded me of this picture.

47f986ca9ec1595849354088b09a64c7ed503308d832380cf2ffbd9d7f0e3aa2_1.jpg
    Ah, I actually ordered it not long after my post, sorry!
    That's okay! I'll shift it somehow :) staying positive lol. Glad you got it sorted, hopefully won't wait too long.

Advertisement