Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persona 5

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I would try to hack it on normal, if this proves to difficult I would drop the difficulty.

Persona has one of the more involving combat systems and as mentioned, buffs and debuffs will help you more with harder enemies than trying to grind a couple of levels.
    Starting P4 Golden? Check cinnamony posts about the magic, I would say to make your party's social link as priority, it helps in battle. If you need more help go over to the general JRPG thread. Spoiler free guide if you need help, YouTube comments ruined it for me and it really took the impact off.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd advise not playing with a guide as it will slow things down and lessen the enjoyment I f the game. If you are having trouble with a boss check one up or want to unlock all social links then its a a good idea but using one to try and get everything is not going to be enjoyable. Just start it knowing you will have to miss some social link scenes and enjoy it for what it is.

Also stick with it. Persona 4 takes a notoriously long time to get started so give it a few hours before you give up. That and the first major boss is a baptism of fire (blocking negates weaknesses, very important here!)
    You may have already started but if not I'd say play on easy. The dungeons are the least fun part of the game so just make them easy for yourself imo.

As for using a guide it'll totally suck the fun out of it. This took me ages to get over, I restarted the game twice because I thought I was doing my social links wrong, and on the third time I was able to finally let go and just go hang out with whatever characters I wanted and liked. You can't max everything in one playthrough anyway. So no don't use a guide.

Thanks for the replies. I chose the normal difficulty in the end. I might regret it when it gets a bit grindy but I think that's preferable to having a game that's too easy.

I'm 6 hours in and really enjoying it. The localisation is excellent. I see what you mean about a guide sucking the fun out of it. I'm just doing my own thing, learning as I go along.

In terms of 'buff and debuffs', does that refer to a Persona's ability to weaken/strengthen an enemy/ally for a few turns? I'm sure it gets more complicated than that but is that the general idea? Weaken my enemy, strengthen the party, then attack the enemy's weakness with my most suitable Persona/skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Paleblood wrote:
    In terms of 'buff and debuffs', does that refer to a Persona's ability to weaken/strengthen an enemy/ally for a few turns? I'm sure it gets more complicated than that but is that the general idea? Weaken my enemy, strengthen the party, then attack the enemy's weakness with my most suitable Persona/skills?

That is exactly what buff/debuff means. As for your last question that usually only relates to bosses, where guarding their big attacks is also essential. If you attack every enemy with magic you will run out very quickly, use physical attacks on the weaker enemies that you know you can stomp when you have levelled up a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you have to use one buff/debuff prioritise agility. If the enemy can't hit you they can't damage you and give you extra turns. Buffs/debuffs are really only for bosses. Normal enemies you want to take out before they get a chance to act or do major damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Order on the way. Postman should be dropping it off tomorrow!

Great, still no sign of Base shipping their orders. Hopefully they start fulfillment tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Oh good, you'll miss out in Persona Q not having a 3DS as well and SMTIV Final, I still have to play them myself though.

It was a downer, thanks bae makes up for it (actually got a figure of him after P3P lol), Sun is such a fantastic social link too, cri evrytiem lol. You reminded me of this picture.

47f986ca9ec1595849354088b09a64c7ed503308d832380cf2ffbd9d7f0e3aa2_1.jpg

That's right! Gotta watch those too once I'm done :p

He really does and his voice actor has such a soothing tone! I gotta say he's really goofy sometimes, that tape of him you can find in the control room :pac::pac:
    I always maxed out the Sun link during the playthroughs, it is so so sad :/
    LOL that is to funny! The look of pride on Ikutsuki :D

OH YOU ARE SOOO LUCKYYYY!!! eeeeek totally not jealous :pac:

I pre-ordered mine on Amazon and have never pre ordered a game before so no idea when I'll have it. gaaaaaaaaah dyiiiiinnnnggg of jealousy!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only ordered mine today. Getting it from Zavvi as amazon are sold out totally. Don't mind if it's late considering I've Nier, Dark Souls 3 DLC and Zelda to play as well!

Only ordered mine today. Getting it from Zavvi as amazon are sold out totally. Don't mind if it's late considering I've Nier, Dark Souls 3 DLC and Zelda to play as well!

The TYH is once again available on Amazon France for ~€90 inc shipping. All EU copies are in English with subs for the continental languages.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B01K7KRP6Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1490980386&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=fire+emblem+echoes&dpPl=1&dpID=51p4HCa2wuL&ref=plSrch

The TYH is once again available on Amazon France for ~€90 inc shipping. All EU copies are in English with subs for the continental languages.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B01K7KRP6Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1490980386&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=fire+emblem+echoes&dpPl=1&dpID=51p4HCa2wuL&ref=plSrch

Balls, ah feck it. I'm too sick today to change my order :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

My special edition arrived today and i can't play it ......because Zelda.

The steel-book is the nicest one I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Been hearing great things about the Zelda game but I imagine its only for Nintendo?

I'm trying to finish Uncharted 4 in between breaks from doing my assignments so that once I'm done with all my work I can start Persona. That said I'm not rushing it, its an incredible game!
    Kylo Ren wrote: »
    My special edition arrived today and i can't play it ......because Zelda.

The steel-book is the nicest one I've seen.

Its a pity the controller skins are not included it would look beautiful having my steel book with my persona controller damn it :pac:

cinnamony wrote: »
    Been hearing great things about the Zelda game but I imagine its only for Nintendo?

Only for Nintendo but it's an incredible game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

17637045_1392890854067587_5892081000395901655_o.jpg?oh=10da5d40e50b4c676042e31de435c58b&oe=595648D2

17637076_1393856107304395_6483835674637575921_o.jpg?oh=61406cf725305e83731dac71f61ea9af&oe=5952A1FF

cinnamony wrote: »
    That's right! Gotta watch those too once I'm done :p

He really does and his voice actor has such a soothing tone! I gotta say he's really goofy sometimes, that tape of him you can find in the control room :pac::pac:
    I always maxed out the Sun link during the playthroughs, it is so so sad :/
    He's a great VA, the video is the best part xD it's too cute.
    Have you see the P3 movies yet?
    I still need to see the others, I only saw the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

F*ck. Royal Mail have let me down. Won't get it til Monday now

F*ck. Royal Mail have let me down. Won't get it til Monday now

Still no dispatch notice from Base for me. At least the order has switched from pre release to pending in their system meaning it is currently being processed.

Thehut are couriering mine to me for Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Order still has not gone to preparing for dispatch from Amazon, looking like it could be Tuesday, was hoping to have it on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

I preordered the TYH edition on Amazon, due to ship Monday and arrive Fri/Sat, which is fine by me, I need to study during the week anyway. My problem is that after Spotify auto-renewed my sub this morning I no longer have enough money on my card for it (broke student problems), and the earliest I can get to the bank is Monday. What do I do? If I deposit the money Monday morning will I get it a day late? If I switch to a different credit card will I lose my preorder? I've been sitting on my preorder since August and I'd hate to lose it.

If this game doesn't snap me out of my kpop obsession nothing will. I need my new wife Makoto in my life, though how she'll stack up against Chie, Akihiko and Mitsuru is unclear.

(Also, no-one has mentioned Master of Shadow, Master of Tartarus, Deep Mentality or Deep Breath. Shame on ye.)

• Advertisement

I preordered the TYH edition on Amazon, due to ship Monday and arrive Fri/Sat, which is fine by me, I need to study during the week anyway. My problem is that after Spotify auto-renewed my sub this morning I no longer have enough money on my card for it (broke student problems), and the earliest I can get to the bank is Monday. What do I do? If I deposit the money Monday morning will I get it a day late? If I switch to a different credit card will I lose my preorder? I've been sitting on my preorder since August and I'd hate to lose it.

If this game doesn't snap me out of my kpop obsession nothing will. I need my new wife Makoto in my life, though how she'll stack up against Chie, Akihiko and Mitsuru is unclear.

(Also, no-one has mentioned Master of Shadow, Master of Tartarus, Deep Mentality or Deep Breath. Shame on ye.)

Switching the card for payment on Amazon won't affect the order. Are you an AIB or BOI customer, if you are and have a nearby atm lobby there may be a lodgement machine. If you deposit cash into one of AIB or BOIs machines it is immediately available for use.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

Switching the card for payment on Amazon won't affect the order. Are you an AIB or BOI customer, if you are and have a nearby atm lobby there may be a lodgement machine. If you deposit cash into one of AIB or BOIs machines it is immediately available for use.

That's what I was going to do, but the closest ATM lobby is half an hour's drive away and I have no means of transport. To be safe I think I'll talk a parent into letting me use their card. The things I do for Persona!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

For some reason I picked standard shipping on my Amazon order (just normal steelbook).

Bawls.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Should have mine Monday :3

• Registered Users Posts: 37 PowerTaxi

Preload done. Let's go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I was eyeing up a copy on amazon.co.uk, then realised today its a PS3 copy and they dont have PS4 copies in stock.

Will this be in stores on tuesday? Argos? am i fooked?

I'm dying for a good new turn based JRPG, im pining for one since FFX :(

nix wrote: »
    I was eyeing up a copy on amazon.co.uk, then realised today its a PS3 copy and they dont have PS4 copies in stock.

Will this be in stores on tuesday? Argos? am i fooked?

I'm dying for a good new turn based JRPG, im pining for one since FFX :(

GameStop are stocking it at €70, you should at least be able to get it there.

GameStop US still have TYH edition copies at $115 inc shipping, expensive seeing as its ex vat but they're the only ones with stock unless you want to try Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I will never buy a game from gamestop on release, €70 is a crazy price..

I usually buy new games these days from argos or smyths, but only if their price is around 50.

nix wrote: »
    I will never buy a game from gamestop on release, €70 is a crazy price..

I usually buy new games these days from argos or smyths, but only if their price is around 50.

€70 is the rrp, its the same price on PSN. Argos may still get it in though as it is listed on the UK site, catalogue number is 521/2288.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I've really fallen for Persona 4, so much so that I have Persona 5 pre-loaded and ready to go (although the actual purchase was made while under the influence last night)!

That's the good news. The bad news is that I'm getting my ass handed to me by Yukiko. The combat and strategy is just so new to me. I really should have started it on easy. So I'm gonna put it aside for now. Two Persona games on the go at the same time will be too much, do I'll fire up 5 on Tuesday and then hopefully come back to Golden in a few months.

Advertisement