Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rice Bridge

Options
  • 26-09-2013 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭

Seriously? Five changes of the lights to get from Dooleys?:eek: Green showing down the Quay for just 25 to thirty seconds. And why were the bus bays removed at Bridge Street outside the Bridge hotel? An ideal lace to unload without interfering with traffic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

The issue on that bridge is the right hand turn towards Bilberry from the bridge its fu*king fair annoying people turning that way and holding up all the traffic. I really hope with all the works on the Quay that they might do something productive on that end of the Quay to sort out the issues there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Agreed......that turn right there is an absolute disaster and completely screws up the traffic flow.

Some people do try to let traffic by but a lot of people don't. I come over the bridge every night and its not uncommon to have only one car come off that lane at a traffic light change. Absolute disaster!

Its some disaster in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Whatever changes were made to the light sequence on the bridge over the summer along with the roadworks by the bridge hotel have meant the mornings coming from Ferrybank dual carraigeway are a nightmare and likewise coming down summerhill between 5 and 6

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hobo!

They might do something to make it easier for cars turning right onto Bilberry, because they plan to make Mary Street one way towards the Bridge Street junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Take away the lights and put a roundabout there, would move traffic much faster from all directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Is it all a ploy to drive traffic over the toll bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not a ploy its just the way things have been since year dot and mainly down to the fecking Bilbery exit/entrance. All traffic bar trucks should be compelled to go the long way round - Gracedieu and Quarry Road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

mike65 wrote: »
    Its not a ploy its just the way things have been since year dot and mainly down to the fecking Bilbery exit/entrance. All traffic bar trucks should be compelled to go the long way round - Gracedieu and Quarry Road

The big problem with that is that you will increase the volume of traffic through heavily populated residential areas - which the Council, I would presume, are anxious to avoid.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Is it all a ploy to drive traffic over the toll bridge
    Ultimately it is. But unless the toll is made affordable people won't use it. To use it twice a day, five days a week, just to go to and from work, would add €1k net onto your yearly motoring costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

7upfree wrote: »
    Ultimately it is. But unless the toll is made affordable people won't use it. To use it twice a day, five days a week, just to go to and from work, would add €1k net onto your yearly motoring costs.
    Can't say I agree that it's ultimately the council's plan to drive people to use the toll. The toll is ran by a private company, so it's not going to benefit the council to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its probably too big an undertaking but if one side of the bridge could be extended out then you could have three lanes for traffic going into town, that wouldn't fix the lights but it would mean no queuing behind the one bloke who is turning right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

^ I was thinking the same, if they're going to cut the lanes on the quay down to 1 each way, then there will be no need for 2 lanes coming onto the bridge from the Bridge Street side, and there will be only 1 lane coming down Bridge Street (as far as i can tell), so it would make sense to make coming towards Bridge Street from the bridge into 3 lanes, possibly from the lift to the lights. Bridge.

Can't say I agree that it's ultimately the council's plan to drive people to use the toll. The toll is ran by a private company, so it's not going to benefit the council to do so.

It will be of benefit from a traffic management perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

The traffic turning right off the bridge are probably heading to places like Industrial Estate & WIT. Why would they be made travel unnecessarily through areas like Summerhill, Keanes Road, Griffith Place and other parts of City causing further delays for everyone? A properly constructed right turn off the bridge has to be doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

The traffic turning right off the bridge are probably heading to places like Industrial Estate & WIT. Why would they be made travel unnecessarily through areas like Summerhill, Keanes Road, Griffith Place and other parts of City causing further delays for everyone? A properly constructed right turn off the bridge has to be doable.

Looking at the current layout of works I reckon the Bilberry traffic will have a dedicated filter lane on the bridge, possibly then with the bridge bound bridge st and the quay traffic being corralled / reduced to a single lane joining the bridge/then expanding back to two lanes once on the opening span to accommodate a filter lane for Bilberry. ( you can see bridge street is already reduced with the brewery side now incorporating a large curve as if to align traffic to the left lane on the bridge), this fits in with the council's plan to widen the Bilberry road from the bridge through to the Carrickpherish road

I wouldn't agree. You will simply divert it to people in Bowefield, Gracedieu, Blackberry Fields, and Ard Cluaine. Make the bypass cheaper for everyone. Problem solved.

I was going to suggest putting a roundabout there but seen as most people cant use them it could make the problem worse.

Advertisement