Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harvery Norman Sale

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Never understood why they buy in Console games. They're the last place I'd look for them.

At least Fifa 13 is five quid cheaper than 14 probably will be with Gamestop next week ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This "sale" is a load of sh*te to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

Has there ever been a time when there hasn't been a sale on in Harvey Normans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

pricing must have only went active today cos fifa 13 is €28 on that page now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xpletiv

In general, how good are HN sales prices? Im looking a nice new corner couch but cant work out if they are cheaper than DFS or Ikea. Anyone with any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

NetNinja wrote: »
    They're a bit like DFS. They do the same kind of carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Tradnuts

I'm not sure,
    I've been watching this for a while in various places, and 799 is the general price, so its here for 699 in the HN sale.

So i might be making a purchase this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭dirtyden

xpletiv wrote: »
    In general, how good are HN sales prices? Im looking a nice new corner couch but cant work out if they are cheaper than DFS or Ikea. Anyone with any other suggestions?

For furniture I have never found them particularly competitive. For electronics they have the occasional good deal. I have found the ezliving stores to be the best for price, and decent quality on furniture in the Cork area, also really good customer service.

HN are not bad though either, but certainly not the best from my experience price wise.

dirtyden wrote: »
    For furniture I have never found them particularly competitive. For electronics they have the occasional good deal. I have found the ezliving stores to be the best for price, and decent quality on furniture in the Cork area, also really good customer service.

HN are not bad though either, but certainly not the best from my experience price wise.

One great thing about HN and electronics is that if you show them that another store is cheaper then 9 times out of 10 they will price match and still throw in a free cable or something else small. I know that just after Chirstmas my dad bought a new TV there and when I told them the currys price the salesman went off and checked it online and came back to say that he couldn't price match as Currys had it on sale but he'd knock the price down so that there was only 50 euro in the difference. Well worth it considering just how good HN are to deal with problems. Brought a TV back and they gave a replacement till the issue was fixed and when the company couldn't figure out what was wrong HN instantly offered money back or a new TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

Happy with them because they are ten times easier to deal with than Currys. They go out of their way to help and there's no quibble with refunds or faulty items. heir price for the TV in question was cheaper than Currys nonsale price.We had a TV with Currys that was sent back twice to be fixed and on the third time there was a fault they went out of their way to try and get out of offering a replacement. Took threats of going to the small claims court before they would offer a replacement of an identical TV. Maybe it's just me but for the sake of 50 euro I'd rather deal with the company who have repeatedly gone out of their way to solve any issues and not tried every trick in the book to get out of honouring their legal responsibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Surprised they didn't knock off that 50 quid. I've yet to have them not price match, and I've been in there plenty of times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This "sale" is a load of sh*te to be honest
    Exactly, the trick is to advertise some very good limited cash offers then hope people will turn up with cash in their pockets for same when the offers are gone make sure people spend their cash on something else :)

Soarer wrote: »
    Surprised they didn't knock off that 50 quid. I've yet to have them not price match, and I've been in there plenty of times!

It was a sale price in Currys and as such you can't expect them to always price match in situations such as that. To be honest 9 times out of 19 they'll price match and then throw in a few things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I only place I would by electronics is from DID. Its Irish owned and they dont exploit that at all. They are far cheaper than Currys and HN and offer good customer service and will actually give you a bargain

You know you are in a reputable shop when they arent pushing credit and "insurance" like their is no tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Happy with them because they are ten times easier to deal with than Currys. They go out of their way to help and there's no quibble with refunds or faulty items. heir price for the TV in question was cheaper than Currys nonsale price.We had a TV with Currys that was sent back twice to be fixed and on the third time there was a fault they went out of their way to try and get out of offering a replacement. Took threats of going to the small claims court before they would offer a replacement of an identical TV. Maybe it's just me but for the sake of 50 euro I'd rather deal with the company who have repeatedly gone out of their way to solve any issues and not tried every trick in the book to get out of honouring their legal responsibilities.

I'd have to disagree on Currys customer care and after sales services based on my experience. Bought a fridge freezer from them around 6 months ago on behalf of my mother. It needed to go into a space that was pretty restricted both height and width ways. Sales girl was very thorough in measuring them, writing out dimensions, prices and talking me through them.

Went to Harvey Norman. Cant say they were unhelpful as never actually called on any of the sales staffs assistance. I have no doubt the guy would have done the same as girl had did in Curry's if I required, I just didn't ask. Currys were definately more competitively priced on their models. Thought it might balance out a bit if Harvey Norman were to chuck in free delivery of the fridge freezer as Currys were charging €20. Wishful thinking as Harvey Norman were charging €40 for delivery.

Fridge freezer from Currys was delivered a few days later as arranged. The delivery guys weren't actually Currys people, rather a courier company they employ. Wasn't there when it was delivered but mother said they were very professional. Removed all the packaging and carried it away and set it up for her. They advised her to leave it sit for a couple of hours before turning it on. They also carried away the old spent fridge freezer for disposal.

When she opened it she thought there was a shelf missing in the fridge. She rang me at work to tell me so I went into their store that evening. They were a bit surprised it was the case. Nonetheless they gave me a shelf out of a display model. The guy was very helpful. He had to make a couple of phone calls about it to check it was ok to do so. He made sure I was happy leaving the store.

As it transpired there wasn't actually a shelf missing but the two were stuck in at the top where my mother didn't spot the second tray.

Went into Harvey Norman a few times for a browse around. Its obvious to me they don't sell any crap anyway but I think they are pricey. EZ Living appear to sell equally high quality furniture and although pricey too (you went get high quality furniture for a pittance) they aren't as pricey as Harvey Norman.

Next time we need a bit of furniture for the house or some electrical product I'll probably go into Harvey Norman for sure but something tells me will probably end up buying in Currys/ Ez living or another local retailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I'll just mention also darko that I feel quite often good or bad customer care experience is down to the specific store or even the specific employee you deal with. A good and most especially a bad customer care experience will leave a lasting impression with you but it may not always (also may) be representative of the organisation as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Definitely just luck of the draw so. HN screwed me over a few times before and never had a problem with currys. The HN crowd drove me feckin nuts a few times! Just ordered the PlayStation with them recently enough cause they were the only place to get one on early release. I'm not holding my breath for it tho, the staff were clueless about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i bought all my stuff in currys on HP and paid off before the balloon payments kicked in....but i hated the 'talk' every time

no...i don't want payment protection

no...i don't need insurance...it won't fall off the wall

no...i don't want extended warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Picked up a 32 gb usb stick for €17 (was €34), not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Tradnuts wrote: »
    I'm not sure,
    I've been watching this for a while in various places, and 799 is the general price, so its here for 699 in the HN sale.

So i might be making a purchase this weekend

Start with offering €600, you'd be surprised you might be able to knock a few euro off even if its 20...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

In fairness to the last sale, I got a decent logitech wireless kb + mouse for 20 quid and a ethernet home plug for about 30 I think, its not bad for computer stuff at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Anyone ever buy a bed from them?
    Was looking at a king size orthopaedic base and mattress there today for 999 euro delivered.
    Seemed a good price,but we havent shopped around.They were willing to give 10/24 or 36 months interest free.
    Is there a catch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

Was looking at a king size orthopaedic base and mattress there today for 999 euro delivered.
    Seemed a good price,but we havent shopped around.They were willing to give 10/24 or 36 months interest free.
    Is there a catch?

I bought 2 beds off of them. Bought a superking solid oak bed and mattress. Big hassel getting it. First one was cracked but they figured it out in the warehouse. 2nd one they ordered got lost on delivery. Nearly 20weeks before i got it. But they gave me a huge discount because of the hassel

Bought a double bed off them aswell with matress got it at a great price aswell because the issue above. Think there customer service is very good when things go tits up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Is there a catch?

Yup bought a king size orthopaedic bed from them, got a super price, two and a half years on its the best thing I bought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Plascebo wrote: »

My god I remember buying a 128mb USB stick for 50 quid and thought it was the dogs boll*cks! Fcuk I'm old :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

Any good deals on a 32 inch plus LCD or led tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭matchthis

Plascebo wrote: »

What type? Is it fast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Is there a catch?
    For genuine bargains on beds check out bigMickey.ie (no joke!) There's a thread on it here in bargain alerts. We bought a bed and mattress from him 3 years ago and it was the best investment ever!! And paid €250 less than the same bed and mattress in HN

I find HN to be quite expensive in general, especially on furniture and bedding. It's not bad quality, but not always as great as the price would lead you to believe. We got a great sofa, Irish made and to our specifications and measurements from a local supplier for a very reasonable price. Obviously couldn't get a made to measure sofa in HN but the closest thing to it was considerably more expensive (nearly €1000). For a mass produced item from a company who buy in large quantities I couldn't see the justification in the large price difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

matchthis wrote: »
    What type? Is it fast?

Link here

http://www.harveynorman.ie/sandisk-32gb-cruzer-blade-usb-memory-key.html

Does me perfect as I just use it for watching movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

i.e. very slow

any decent tablets therE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

People in Ireland don't get this because a lot of stores have come to offer no wiggle-room at all on prices - but HN want you to haggle. If you pay full whack, grand, but they've factored a bit of leeway into pricing and they're happy to knock a few quid off. They must have it figured that they make more money by doing this than they lose by those in the "caveat emptor" band simply walking away.

The whole online revolution and how cheaply stuff can be bought on the web seems to have stopped people from even trying to haggle in chain-stores.

I've probably spend about six grand in HN in the last few years between 2 laptops, a PC, flatscreen TV and a few other bits - and I genuinely can't remember the last time I paid full price for anything worth over €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

Am I missing something? FIFA 14 is just under €55 at GameStop...

Faith+1 wrote: »
    My god I remember buying a 128mb USB stick for 50 quid and thought it was the dogs boll*cks! Fcuk I'm old :eek:

My first "pc" had 4mb RAM, which I upgraded myself to 12! 3 strips of 4mb each!
    Actually that was my second. My first had two 5" floppy drives, with the DOS operating from one!

Back on topic, Little Island have a table with stand alone speakers at 75% off. They the Philips Fidelio Sound Ring reduced to around €80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

sdeire wrote: »
    ...but HN want you to haggle. If you pay full whack, grand, but they've factored a bit of leeway into pricing and they're happy to knock a few quid off. They must have it figured that they make more money by doing this than they lose by those in the "caveat emptor" band simply walking away....

That makes no sense, they are not going to get people in the door to haggle if their prices are too high.

Irish consumers don't shop around enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

jma wrote: »
    Am I missing something? FIFA 14 is just under €55 at GameStop...

fifa 13 was €28 for the weekend in HN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

One great thing about HN and electronics is that if you show them that another store is cheaper then 9 times out of 10 they will price match and still throw in a free cable or something else small. I know that just after Chirstmas my dad bought a new TV there and when I told them the currys price the salesman went off and checked it online and came back to say that he couldn't price match as Currys had it on sale but he'd knock the price down so that there was only 50 euro in the difference. Well worth it considering just how good HN are to deal with problems. Brought a TV back and they gave a replacement till the issue was fixed and when the company couldn't figure out what was wrong HN instantly offered money back or a new TV.

I would have to disagree with this - been in the market for a good TV - found quotes in a shop up North and online .... went into HN asked could they match the price (it was €200 cheaper to have the TV delivered from Belfast) - HN said they only price match within 30miles of the shop - when I told them their website says it'll match online quotes, I was told we cant compete with up north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

one they ordered got lost on delivery

How can you lose a bed? :eek:
    I was told we cant compete with up north.

In fairness to HN, they can't compare with other "countries".
    You could say it's €500 cheaper in China etc.
    My first "pc" had 4mb RAM, which I upgraded myself to 12! 3 strips of 4mb each!
    Actually that was my second. My first had two 5" floppy drives, with the DOS operating from one

Half the posters are now heading for google to see what a 5" floppy disk is!

especially that there was no such thing as 5" one :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Corkbah wrote: »
    I would have to disagree with this - been in the market for a good TV - found quotes in a shop up North and online .... went into HN asked could they match the price (it was €200 cheaper to have the TV delivered from Belfast) - HN said they only price match within 30miles of the shop - when I told them their website says it'll match online quotes, I was told we cant compete with up north.

I went into HN to buy a flat screen tv, the salesman said it was 700 for the tv then you need this special stuff to clean the screen and a tv stand, some insurance maybe a dvd player etc. :rolleyes: By the time he was finished the total was €1200 :eek: I left without it went over to soundstore and bought a tv for €570 delivered no messing and no add on's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

okidoki987 wrote: »
    How can you lose a bed? :eek:

In fairness to HN, they can't compare with other "countries".
    You could say it's €500 cheaper in China etc.

Half the posters are now heading for google to see what a 5" floppy disk is!

but the price including delivery from up north (which is easily drivable in a day) - and HN claim to match online quotations .... online quotes can very well be from china - but they (HN) would factor in the cost of delivery etc, in my case they wouldn't even try to match it, why advertise that they will match online quotes ...when they wouldn't !!

Also on a sidenote..... as we had been watching the TV price over the past few weeks, in HN the TV was priced at €1550 for the last month and then last week (Wed) I was in the same shop and the TV was priced at €1600 ..... just BEFORE the big sale ....on the website now ...the TV is prices at €1649.

Samsung F8000 (40inch) .... so that makes my saving at least €250(excluding delivery cost from HN) ... would recommend people shop around instead of going to HN in future (I know we will)

A lot of big name stores hard sell everything try to inflate the order than add a warranty based on the overall price.
    Any discounts they offer are usually built into the inflated price, so you're not getting a deal at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    especially that there was no such thing as 5" one :P

Wrong. There was.:pac:

What mainstream 5" disk was there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Back on topic, I think for furniture EZ Living and bigmickey.ie are the best value. Very impressed with the couches Ive seen there. HN seem to be overpriced for their couches.

Wrong. There was.:pac:

5.25" yup. and 8" before that. but there wasn't a 5" one ;P

5.25" Was still floating around when I was in college. But I never saw a 8" one. Those 5.25" ones were very prone to magnetic interference. Couldn't put a walkman near one.

Was on the phone when I posted about the 5" disk. Obviously it was a 5.25", but I was to lazy for the whole thing!
    Predecessor of the 3.5", then the zip disks, then...

Diskless....

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

I wouldn't buy in Harvey Norman. A few years ago I went to HN to buy a LCD tv (cash). I stood at counter for about 5 mins unnoticed then I went to a salesman myself to ask about TVs. He 'entertained' me for about 20 seconds before disappearing and not returning. I saw him as I was leaving serving a male custmer. I am female and happen to look a lot younger than I am. I went next door to DID where I bought my TV and where the salesman actually took me seriously. I then went back into HN, went to the manager, showed him my receipt from DID and said their salesman had lost them a sale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement