Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The magic roundabout to be....well ahem to lose its magic.

Options
  • 26-09-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

See this from Mid West. Can't believe that there is an actual admission of inconsistency. Agggghhhh well it only took +10 years.

Work Gets Underway Next Week to Standardise Roundabouts in Castlebar

Created on Thursday, 26 September 2013 09:57
    roundabout.jpg
    Work will get underway next week to standardise roundabouts in Castlebar.
    Local Sinn Fein councillor Therese Ruane says the development is very welcome as she has lobbied Castlebar town council for over two years now to change the roundabout system in the county town.
    The Mayor of Castlebar Noreen Heston told Midwest News this morning that she’s delighted with the change, and said she had also lobbied extensively for the development and had invited driving instructors into the council chamber in the past to outline to councillors the confusion the present roundabout system was causing.
    The present system doesn’t conform with the national standardised format for roundabouts.
    Cllr Ruane claims that it’s a road safety issue and the changes will make Castlebar a safer location for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

About time

The dublin road one does my nut with straight on on the right hand side.

But the next one on towards westport with the road sign in your line of sight as you enter it is just silly. Again with right hand side being straight on. Much worse every time there is an election and all the councillors/TD's decide to place their mugs high on that sign post and block all view of the road just when you need it.

I predict many accidents as Castlebar older residents try to get to grips with correct roundabout use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

someone's woken up.........

i can supply some white paint free if they'll supply the labour for proper lane markings at these roundabouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

About time indeed my one and only road rage incident was at a castlebar roundabout.

Lets hope the sort out the slippery surface at the cathal duffy roundabout as well. The oil spin signs have been up for weeks!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Hallelujah.

My strangest experience in Castlebar was coming in from the Dublin road - one of the few roundabout approaches that's done correctly - the car that had been following me went into the right-hand lane, and tried to go straight. He had to brake to avoid me when I went straight, then proceeded to honk and gesticulate angrily at me all the way to the next roundabout. Muppet.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Hallelujah.

My strangest experience in Castlebar was coming in from the Dublin road - one of the few roundabout approaches that's done correctly - the car that had been following me went into the right-hand lane, and tried to go straight. He had to brake to avoid me when I went straight, then proceeded to honk and gesticulate angrily at me all the way to the next roundabout. Muppet.

Pretty the same as my incident. The fact no one bothers to indicate at roundabouts in Castlebar doesn't help matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Arist

irishgeo wrote: »
    Lets hope the sort out the slippery surface at the cathal duffy roundabout as well. The oil spin signs have been up for weeks!
    Living in Castlebar for 4 years and that roundabout has always been a problem. I think they put up oil spill signs in response to every accident while the problem is not oil its the road surface as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Arist wrote: »
    Living in Castlebar for 4 years and that roundabout has always been a problem. I think they put up oil spill signs in response to every accident while the problem is not oil its the road surface as you said.

Station Road is due to be resurfaced week after next, can't quiet remember if this includes the roundabout, will look into it further and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ron jambo

Only one magic round a bout Walkinstown, be in right lane for exit, head down, fukit.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Great news!! I hate the roundabouts in Castlebar, so many drivers are confused with the conflicting rules and so many others use the left lane on to go straight on at the roundabout where you are supposed to be in the right lane to go straight - and not by accident, I regularly see cars getting impatient in the queue in the right lane and slipping lanes to take their chances.

starting tomorrow , its going to traffic carnage, think ill nip in through town it might be quicker.

• Advertisement

starting tomorrow , its going to traffic carnage, think ill nip in through town it might be quicker.

Yes, but alot of the work will be carried out during the nights, can't wait...

and the roundabouts are definitively getting sorted.

Yes, but alot of the work will be carried out during the nights, can't wait...

and the roundabouts are definitively getting sorted.

mayo co co working at night. :eek:

mayo co co working at night. :eek:

Mayo co.co. not directly involved.

Mayo co.co. not directly involved.

Traffic chaos this morning. Traffic backed up to Harvey Norman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Quelle Surpris....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Ahhhh come on now.... Was on the M4 near Reading in the UK a couple of weeks ago, long term roadworks... tailback of 11 miles!! Took over an hour to get through...... Few hundred metres to Harvey Norman is bearable if they sort the roundabouts out. :p

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    Ahhhh come on now.... Was on the M4 near Reading in the UK a couple of weeks ago, long term roadworks... tailback of 11 miles!! Took over an hour to get through...... Few hundred metres to Harvey Norman is bearable if they sort the roundabouts out. :p

TT

it didnt bother me as i was going out of town.:D

Necessary evil I suppose!
    Luckily the rouadabout itself will be night time only.

Necessary evil I suppose!
    Luckily the rouadabout itself will be night time only.

Surely they are making the roundabout smaller. It's massive at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

If you think driving is bad at roundabouts in Castlebar come into Ballina!

Its real eye opener:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Arist

They are killing Cathal Duffy's roundabout right now! Come and look. I might sell tickets on my balcony.....

Arist wrote: »
    They are killing Cathal Duffy's roundabout right now! Come and look. I might sell tickets on my balcony.....
    get a webcam up:D

diversion and road closures in place.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Are them diversions there during the day? 100% chaos there tonight, truck trying to go down spencer street and blocks all traffic going both ways... wish they thought that out!!!

yop wrote: »
    Are them diversions there during the day? 100% chaos there tonight, truck trying to go down spencer street and blocks all traffic going both ways... wish they thought that out!!!
    Was just down there and it's not too bad, big work going on though. Road reopens at 7 in the morning but expect closures Thursday and Friday night also.

I thought they would be pulling out the brick work part but that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

In Castlebar they finally get the roundabouts correct and in Claremorris they screw things up at the traffic lights at the junction of Main street and Kilcolman Rd.

They have, in the last week or so, put arrows on the road so that now if you're coming out of town and you want to go straight ahead, up the old Knock Road, you go in the outside lane behind traffic that's waiting to turn right for Aldi or the McWilliam Park hotel ! whilst traffic wanting to turn left for Castlebar has the inside lane all to itself.
    And, likewise, if you're coming down the old Knock Rd and want to go straight ahead into town you have to be in the outside lane behind traffic turning right for Castlebar.

What is wrong with these people!! I can only assume that the person/people that made this decision has/have never driven a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

How's this progressing, especially at Cathal Duffys and up at the Topaz/Mulroys filling station?

How's this progressing, especially at Cathal Duffys and up at the Topaz/Mulroys filling station?

they seemed to have remarked all the roundabouts with standard road layout but it be careful out there. some drivers seem to be a little confused and are all over the place trying to change lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

they seemed to have remarked all the roundabouts with standard road layout but it be careful out there. some drivers seem to be a little confused and are all over the place trying to change lanes.

As bad as it was before its like Wacky Races today :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

It would be nice if they put up some signs warning that the layout had changed, was nearly caught out in the old right / new wrong lane at Cathal Duffys roundabout this evening.

Advertisement