Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap doctors visit

Options
  • 26-09-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hey people, I've heard through the grapevine that there's some doctors surgery that only charge 30 quid as opposed to 50 for a visit. Is this true? If so anybody know where?

Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

There used to be a place in Douglas, near the East Village that opened Thursday to Saturday only (I think) and advertised themselves as a quick and cheap option for 'quick hit' issues such as prescriptions and repeats, work certs etc. I just googled them and the website is a deadlink - perhaps they closed down? Someone on here will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 savvy lady

I don't know of any that only charge 30 euro. I think the average is 55. My GP charges 55, and I get a good consultation. Sometimes its better to pay the going rate if you feel you are getting good advice, instead of calling you back for another 30 euro. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fiona_242

Does anyone know any doctor that charges less than €50 for a repeat prescription, I left my old doctor 2 years ago because she never did anything for me and she just printed out my repeat prescription and signed the bottom of it and wanted €50 a pop for it every 3 months, she would not give me the prescription for 6 months, she did nothing for that €50 never took my blood pressure or asked me how I was, just took it and expect the fee for a 5 min consultation once every 3 months I left!
    Is there any cheaper GP around? or are they all greedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fiona_242

Please note I am in Galway City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Fiona_242 wrote: »
    Please note I am in Galway City

This is the cork city forum, doubt you will get what you need here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

My Mrs was handed a leaflet the other day for the Cork Express Medical Walk-in Clinic (I have no connection to them - in fact I haven't used them so I can't comment on the service.)

However, their tel no. is 021 436 0100. They're in St Patrick's Woollen Mills in Douglas. Mon - Fri 1000 - 2100, Sat & Sun 1400 - 2100. The leaflet says 'No appt necessary'

A Standard visit is €35. They offer other services etc also.

I'm not advertising for them, so if a Mod feels this info is inappropriate, then please delete or amend as you see fit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I got the same flyer looks decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Fiona_242 wrote: »
    Does anyone know any doctor that charges less than €50 for a repeat prescription, I left my old doctor 2 years ago because she never did anything for me and she just printed out my repeat prescription and signed the bottom of it and wanted €50 a pop for it every 3 months, she would not give me the prescription for 6 months, she did nothing for that €50 never took my blood pressure or asked me how I was, just took it and expect the fee for a 5 min consultation once every 3 months I left!
    Is there any cheaper GP around? or are they all greedy!

Big assumption on my part but if it's for something like the pill would you be better off (financially) using Lloyds online doctor or your local chemist?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

My gp is the bells surgery on Shandon street and i've never had to pay for a repeat prescription. Just phone the secretary and order it. Very easy. Gp is a little gruff but a bloody good gp in my opinion. 0214301745
    His visit charge is 50

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I got the same flyer looks decent.

So I ended up breaking my hand and paid them a visit. (Not on purpose :p)
    Doctor was very nice and helpful, no hassle getting the certs for work and was genuinely interested in how I was recovering.

Very good service and would recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Hey people, I've heard through the grapevine that there's some doctors surgery that only charge 30 quid as opposed to 50 for a visit. Is this true? If so anybody know where?

Any help is appreciated

South Terrace Medical Center. Dr. Weetos (not his real name but you'll know what I mean if you go there!) charged me €30 for the first consultation, no charge for a repeat prescription (it was left at reception) and €10 for a subsequent short consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

blindsider wrote: »
    My Mrs was handed a leaflet the other day for the Cork Express Medical Walk-in Clinic (I have no connection to them - in fact I haven't used them so I can't comment on the service.)

However, their tel no. is 021 436 0100. They're in St Patrick's Woollen Mills in Douglas. Mon - Fri 1000 - 2100, Sat & Sun 1400 - 2100. The leaflet says 'No appt necessary'

A Standard visit is €35. They offer other services etc also.

I'm not advertising for them, so if a Mod feels this info is inappropriate, then please delete or amend as you see fit.

I used these guys yesterday and I must say I was glad I did. The doctor I saw was very pleasant and thorough. I told her the idea of a lower priced walk-in GP service (especially in Douglas) was very convenient. She used to practice in the States and planned to open such a service here years ago.

There is plenty of parking in the woolen mills now as they have re-arranged the area where the used car dealership used to be. It is however pay-and-display parking but at €1 per hour it's worth it for the convenience when you're barely able to walk :(

It's good to see fresh new ideas bringing some competition into the GP market.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mmmads

I use the services of Express Medical in douglas often. They are very reasonable and you dont need to have an appointment. Most importantly, both the doctors at Express medical listens to your problems and are never in a hurry to get you out.

I would highly recommend them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cjay728

Hey,

Another option is GPNow inside in Union Quay, i joined them just before christmas and find them excellent. The doctor is lovely. Good to see cheaper alternatives, i would never pay 60 euro a visit anymore, i just cant afford it anyway, not when i have to bring my son to the doctor a few times a year to check his asthma

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement