Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 New York - 2014

• 26-09-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Me (M) and a friend of mine (M) are thinking about doing a J1 in New York next summer. Accommodation seems to be a bit pricey. Based on older forums, sharing an apartment with other Irish students seems to be the best option. We are unsure about sharing with someone we don't know.

Has anyone done this before that could advise us?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭iamyourending

Hey Jimboree, a friend of mine and I (both male) are both thinking of heading to New York next summer on a J1 too!

But we've never been before either, so I can't help with your questions :(

What part are you thinking of going to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Jimboree wrote: »
    Me (M) and a friend of mine (M) are thinking about doing a J1 in New York next summer. Accommodation seems to be a bit pricey. Based on older forums, sharing an apartment with other Irish students seems to be the best option. We are unsure about sharing with someone we don't know.

If I were you, I'd stay clear of New Jersey if you intend to stay there. Hurricane Sandy made a big mess over there and they aren't exactly open to business for J1 students for now. Have you tried Brooklyn? They are the cheapest and it's best if you don't stay in Manhattan as it's extremely expensive in terms of cost of living. Or maybe Queens if you want to stay in a safer place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jimboree

Hey Jimboree, a friend of mine and I (both male) are both thinking of heading to New York next summer on a J1 too!

But we've never been before either, so I can't help with your questions :(

What part are you thinking of going to?

Hi,

Yeah, it's a bit difficult alright. What kind of accommodation are you looking for?

As for areas, we're looking towards Brooklyn or Queens. But we're open to other options.

Have you found any good sources online?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

Well lads, me and another 2 lads are going over on a J1 to NYC aswell but i havent a clue of prices. do ye no anything about sponsorship over there to get the visa for cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cwalsh95

Fully set now on doing J1 next summer in New York will be my first time on a j1 was just thinking of starting a thread so whoever's in the same boat as myself can share tips regarding accomodation and whatever might try and get a facebook page together also if there's demand cheers!

• Advertisement

Was thinking of doing new york next summer myself could be going alone yet just wondering if any of ye would be up for sharing! have heard good stuff about woodlawn and woodside as regards accomodation manhattan seems expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Larkinage

I'm also looking to do a J1 in New York next Summer. It looks like my mates aren't up for it though. I'd have no problem doing it alone but I'm just worried about the cost of accommodation. Im 18 and in my first year of college, also unemployed. Can anyone tell me how much i'd be looking at spending all in all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dredre93

Jimboree wrote: »

Hey, me and two girls are doing the j1 too! We're unsure of sharing with randoms as well but asking around it seems like its the only option for small groups . We're thinking ocean city , NYC or San Fran:):) .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 J12014

I am also planning on going to New York this summer on a J1, but most likely Long Island somewhere!
    I am going with one other friend and looking to get in contact with people hoping to share accommodation!
    We are 21&22

• Registered Users Posts: 4 J12014

Me and my friend are also planning on going to New York, possibly Long Island (although we are not set on the location) we are looking to get in contact with people to share accommodation with seeing as there is only 2 of us!

I have heard of a lot of people meeting up here at home ahead of time to see if sharing suits!
    Anyone planning on doing the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

I'm also planning on doing a j1 this year, It's a toss between New York or Boston for me. I'm also going on my own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 finnci

dredre93 wrote: »
    Hey, me and two girls are doing the j1 too! We're unsure of sharing with randoms as well but asking around it seems like its the only option for small groups . We're thinking ocean city , NYC or San Fran:):) .

Hey seeing as youre the only one who has mentioned San Fran here, me and my 2 friends ( 1 girl , 2 guys ) are 90% going to San Fran.

From what I've heard Berkeley is the place to stay for students / J1s. Prices are lower but even at that its pretty common for groups to share

Am thinking myself or going somehwere in the bronx or queens seems cheaper than manhattan itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

ill be going to nyc aswell, made no accom plans or anything as of yet though

heading to nyc alone , will probably need to share with someone accommodation aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JACKtipp1

well lads, im thinking of going myself , in the middle of it at the minute , unsure what to do, My friend is asking me to head over with them, there not really sure of where they're going thats not the problem tho, im a non drinker , and would prefer to go with people in the same boat , wondering if there is anyone thinking the same, pm me.

JACKtipp1 wrote: »
    Hey lads im 21 and in my third year in UCC looking at going on a j1 for the summer. Couple of my friends are on to me about booking at the minute, thing is I dont drink and I was wondering is there any people in the same boat who are thinking of heading over would be interested in trying to sort something out,

pm me anyway let me know what ye think

cheers

whats wrong with going with someone who drinks abit? (aslong as they dont binge drink), unless you're trying to avoid falling off the wagon or something....
    just it'll be tricky to find an irish person going on a j1 who doesnt drink haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dutchy1991

Well lads 2 males from waterford both 22 going the 20 th of may if we got 8-10 people in a house/appartment rent would be dirt cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 13 eoghanmac

well lads ,yeah heading over for the summer to New york most likely alone so is anyone wants to share accommodation send me a mail(don't really care where)!I hear night life is good and getting jobs is easy just send out cv's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Have you tried Brooklyn? They are the cheapest and it's best if you don't stay in Manhattan as it's extremely expensive in terms of cost of living. Or maybe Queens if you want to stay in a safer place?

It's the other way round. Brooklyn (except some parts) is safer and pricier than Queens, much closer to Manhattan too. Queens is meh, as a last resort!

I'm also going to NYC in 2014, there's two of us so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Dutchy1991

right think theres,7 people here now will we,all share accomodation in the bronx,queens maybe manhatton if we can afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 13 eoghanmac

im definitely up for that..we get a facebook group going?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kazzers

Me and one of my friends are heading to New York this summer. I went to Chicago last year and New York the year before so I'm plenty experienced. :) Lived in the Woodlawn area in New York and its ideal for the j1, its a bit outside the city but it's a major Irish area and they look after their own as long as you don't wreck the joint.. It also has the Aisling Center nearby for Irish in case youre having trouble with anything.. Sharing a house or apartment with loads of other people is the best job, as long as you're sly about it, you'll get away with it no bother. I lived with 13 other people in an unfurnished 2 bed apartment in Chicago last year and the landlord was a bit of a bitch but other than that we got on grand. Theres a pile of Irish pubs and restaurants on McClean Ave. in Woodlawn where you could possibly get a job, but mainly for going out they're good craic.. If you manage to get a place near there you'd be sorted. Woodlawn is near Gaelic Park as well for anyone going for the GAA.. The subway is near McClean Ave and goes all the way downtown for $2.50, instead of getting the "fancy" train which is $7.50.. You can get a 7 day pass for $30 if you get a job downtown and it's the red line which goes all night (I think :/ ). Woodlawn is definitely a thumbs up for me, will probably head to that part again this year. Just if you've never been on a J1 before, be prepared, the first week of the J1 is possibly the worst week of your life when trying to look for accommodation and jobs, but the rest of the summer more than makes up for it.

Sorry meant to say as well that there was 7 girls in our group that went over originally and we moved in with 5 girls and 2 guys that we never met before and we got on so well, it's hit and miss when living with randomers, but you can't be scared of it cuz you just have to remember, the more of you there are, the lower the rent :)

sounds good the more the merrier! ye all wanna set up this facebook page so?

well kazzers theres a j1 new york 2014 page give it a gawk plenty more of us in the same boat as ya!

well lads heres the facebook page for the group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421930974706436/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421930974706436/ facebook page for j1 new york 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jackhego

Hey guys, Me and my friends were also planning to go to New York for the summer. Two of us are actually citizens so we have family that live in Queens, Midtown and Woodlawn. I would recommend heading to Woodlawn as its a good spot all the Irish community are really lovely and the Aisling centre of Mclean is a great place to get the Irish students jobs. We are looking to share a house or apartment too there will possibly be three or more of us and we will be there from May till August if anyone wants to share we are all college students in different cork colleges. And for any people that are under 21 ID's can easily be purchased downtown if you know where to get them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 la_mcgarr

Looking to do a j1 in the summer with a bit if luck, looks like I'm doing it alone though so I'm looking to share with a few others.. Hoping to go to San Fran or New York, they seem to be the best pick.. Completely lost about where to start but want to get the ball rolling, anyone interested pm me :)

• Advertisement

la_mcgarr wrote: »
    Looking to do a j1 in the summer with a bit if luck, looks like I'm doing it alone though so I'm looking to share with a few others.. Hoping to go to San Fran or New York, they seem to be the best pick.. Completely lost about where to start but want to get the ball rolling, anyone interested pm me :)

if your going to NYC, we have a fb group setup,
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421930974706436/
    best look there for others going to NYC

Advertisement