Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 New York - 2014

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

For anyone whos been before,do ye have any thoughts on what age would be best to go at? As in would you be better off going at 20/21 rather than 18/19,or is there any difference really?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kazzers

Anonymou wrote: »
    For anyone whos been before,do ye have any thoughts on what age would be best to go at? As in would you be better off going at 20/21 rather than 18/19,or is there any difference really?
    Would definitely recommend waiting until 21 because it is a lot less hassle, not just for going out but a lot of places won't hire waitresses that are under 21. I wouldnt say "don't go" if you're 18/19/20, you'll still have a great time, fake IDs are easy come by if you know where to get them

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Hopefully NY is on the cards for me and a friend this year aswell. My question is, what are my job prospects given that I'm 20 and have no experience?

Past 3 summers have yielded no work for me in my home town (not for lack of trying). I'm not doing nothing again this year. Getting worried that my lack of experience will be a problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stephenj12014

Any couples heading over looking to share accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nickyb93

I am going over and have accomodation in woodlawn and hopefully work sorted as I seem to have thousands of relations over there. I know this sounds great but hoping to split from the cousins after a few weeks. Is there many going alone? Where is the best place to meet felllow J1ers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Sam St

Hi there, I'm heading over with my pal to NYC, we're both 21 when there, interested in sharing that enormous rent ? Looking to have a good time too! So the best roommate possible is one that isn't a dry****e haha! Talk soon, S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

hey sam, theres a group....https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421930974706436/

im also looking to share, probably go to woodlawn

Hi Shane, good to hear from you! I deleted my Facebook 2 weeks ago, so I haven't been ignoring the fb page haha but my good friend Jack is going to join the group, so would you mind if you could accept his invite or however it works..

haha i did the same until i started college, everything to do with societies is on there now so hard to delete.
    im not the admin, but i think people get accepted fast enough

let me know if you have any plans for sharing anyways, im heading over on my ownn so im looking for people to share with

Hi Shane, both of us are from Dublin, do you want to meet in person to sort this accommodation out? I'd just like to get it out of the way before I start my exams. And in case you were wondering, no I'm not a creepy old man pretending to be a college student haha, sound good ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 floydowen

Me and two other lads, all 22, booking New York this week hopefully. Where in New York you thinking of going?

Sam St wrote: »
    Hi Shane, both of us are from Dublin, do you want to meet in person to sort this accommodation out? I'd just like to get it out of the way before I start my exams. And in case you were wondering, no I'm not a creepy old man pretending to be a college student haha, sound good ?

sorry to respond so late, didnt see the message till now, yeah sure, just let me know when your thinking? and where?

also i didnt think that until you said it haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

It was 2001 when I did my J1, so quite some time ago now :-)

We found best accommodation was in Queens (Sunnyside, Woodside). Right on the 7 Subway line, so handy for getting into Manhattan.

Rent was expensive even back then too. There were 5 of us paying around $600 each per month in rent (I think it was just over $3,000 pm). Good times, but some rental places will be wary of renting to J1ers, so be warned. Best thing is to stay in a hostel for the first week or so. Find jobs and then an apartment. Manhattan will be just too expensive....

Have fun! Wish I was doing it all over again! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lucylou92

Wooooooo party time in NY! I've my visa and flights booked but none of my friends are going, doing this totally alone so I'm definitely up for living with any of yee haha I'm 21, from Kildare!

im trying to organise a place, welcome to join me and possibly 2 others (theyre still sorting visas, but looks like theyre going)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lucylou92

shane9689 wrote: »
    im trying to organise a place, welcome to join me and possibly 2 others (theyre still sorting visas, but looks like theyre going)!
    Yeah sure add me on Facebook anyway an keep me updated :)https://m.facebook.com/lucy.coogan.31

• Registered Users Posts: 8 greasemonkeyd4

Hey Guys, Im planning on going on a J1 this summer...my mates arent up for it so trying to get a group. Iv been to New York in Summer 2012 on holidays with the lads and I can say that I wouldnt reccomend NYC as its very hard to get jobs, very expensive socially and cost of living etc. i met loads of irish students there on J1's (some who had to sleep on the subway and central park) due to knot finding jobs and the expenses etc...they were getting their parents everyday to transfer money on 365online, however i heard that places liek Boston, Cali are more J1 friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

Are ye all using usit to get your j1

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lauraplunk1

Hi :)

Me and two friends (girls) are heading over to NY this summer too. We are currently looking for accom in Woodlawn, apparently it's full of Irish and great craic. Anyone thinking of heading over there? We are flying on the 29th May! Can't wait :)

Really? That's mad! My friends went there last year and got great bar and restaurant work and were making upto 170$ a day! Suppose it just depends really! Were going back over anyway and living in Woodlawn. Can't wait! Boston is meant to be great craic aswel, that would defo be my second choice! :)

• Advertisement

Hey Lucylou92,

Congrats on deciding to go alone! You'll have a great time, my friend went alone last year had an unreal time and is bringing us all back with her this year! I'm going with two girls and living in woodlawn! They are playing football over there, so they will prob have accom sorted (hopefully I can just bunk in with them) but if you are on your own, come be our friends haha We're all 21, i'm from carrick on shannon, one girl is from Tipp and the other Meath :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Salubriously

Hey all,

I typed J1 accommodation into google and this thread came up. Just wondering if any of you are still heading over to NYC? Myself and my mate (both male) are heading over on a J1 on the 25th of May. We have mates already over there on the one year graduate programme who said they'll help us out with regards to accommodation but I just thought I'd comment on here to see what you other J1'ers are planning on doing? Is there a facebook page or something to go on to??? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

Hey all,

I typed J1 accommodation into google and this thread came up. Just wondering if any of you are still heading over to NYC? Myself and my mate (both male) are heading over on a J1 on the 25th of May. We have mates already over there on the one year graduate programme who said they'll help us out with regards to accommodation but I just thought I'd comment on here to see what you other J1'ers are planning on doing? Is there a facebook page or something to go on to??? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Well man, ya there are two that I'm aware of https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421930974706436/ & https://www.facebook.com/groups/700609683317125/
    One for NYC and one for Woodlawn which is an Irish community in the Bronx. I went two years ago and had an unbelievable time in Woodlawn. Me and my buddy went over and stayed at his sisters gaff for a week. During the week we found our own spot although it was hard enough. We're heading back this year(with a different lad) so I think the best bet is to stay in a hostel and then look over there. I don't really think anyone looking now for house accommodation will be able to find a place come May. We will be playing Gaa for a team over and we're also looking to see will they put us up for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Salubriously

sdowling04 wrote: »
    Well man, ya there are two that I'm aware of https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421930974706436/ & https://www.facebook.com/groups/700609683317125/
    One for NYC and one for Woodlawn which is an Irish community in the Bronx. I went two years ago and had an unbelievable time in Woodlawn. Me and my buddy went over and stayed at his sisters gaff for a week. During the week we found our own spot although it was hard enough. We're heading back this year(with a different lad) so I think the best bet is to stay in a hostel and then look over there. I don't really think anyone looking now for house accommodation will be able to find a place come May. We will be playing Gaa for a team over and we're also looking to see will they put us up for the summer.

Sound man cheers for that. I'll defo check out them links. I owe ye a pint ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CiaraMoro

Hey, myself and another girl are heading to NY for the summer. Have no accommodation sorted just yet, thinking of living in either Brooklyn or Woodlawn. Interested in living with a group of people who are up for the craic and also to lower rent. Get intouch if intereste or PM me :)
    Ciara

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

hi! we are two guys doing the same...we are happy to share...but we are booking student accom for the first week or two to get sorted!! <mod snip> pm poster for email

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kitty_anne

Hey I currently have job sorted for 6 weeks in Manhattan from the end of June, until mid August, stuck for accommodation atm wondering if anyone is in need of another person in booked accommodation or is just interested in sharing! Brooklyn or Woodlawn would by ideal! I'm under 21 unfortunately but definitely still up for the Craic! Anyone interested please PM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hi everyone, I'm looking to split some accommodation in the first week of June (4th to the 7th) I'm only stopping off in New York but happy to chip in half of the accommodation costs.

Either way, I'll probably be booking something so if someone reads this in a few weeks feel free to PM me. I'll update this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057211120

Advertisement