Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords CC Rainbow Sportive

• 27-09-2013 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Swords CC Rainbow Sportive, This Sunday, 29th September 2013.

Sign on at 8am, ride at 9am.
    Think you know North County Dublin?
    Well this route will confirm it and afterwards will give you a few idea's for that testing Sunday run in the middle of winter. It will cap off the cycling season on the day the best in the world compete for the coveted Rainbow Jersey of World Champion. After the spin why not have a shower, some refreshments and watch the climax of the race on the big screen?

There will be 3-4 different groups with varying average speeds. In each group will be a road captain who will ensure everybody stays together and at the predicted speed so all participants have a safe and enjoyable spin on the route.

The hills included in the Sportive are as follows...
    The Bog Berg (The legs know why) (from the Bog up to Walshestown and down to 5 cross roads)
    The Nags Heads from the 5 cross roads.
    The Man-o-war
    From Ballough to the Man O War
    Ardla (from the bridge at Skerries ) ( from Bridge to Ardgillen gates)
    Bellewstown to Snowtown Cross (a little lumpy) ( Left at the Apple Green to the crossroads, left and over to snowtown)
    The Jack Stones
    Alp d'Bellew (tightens on some of the corners at the top)
    The Coombes Connor (a classic and as wide as a flandrian lane, Paul Deans can confirm)
    Hill Town (Up to the middle of the race course)
    The Naul Telegraph (Straight up)
    The Bog Berg (from Walshestown back down to the Bog).

Entry fee is €20 if you pay on-line or €25 if you pay on the day.

http://www.rainbowsportive.eu/

Route: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/297379680 we call it "The Dinosaur"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Don't Forget:

"10 min post ride massage available on Sunday for €5 from Kevin of Natural Healing Ireland"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

could ye not make it a bit harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

lennymc wrote: »

They tried but ran out of hills, and the World Champs coverage starts at 2.15pm on BBC 2, so have to be back in Ring Common Centre by then.

lennymc wrote: »

That's just the FIRST Lap! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ian_rush

Signed up to this before checking the route. Knew it was hilly but this is cruel and unusual punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

ian_rush wrote: »
    Signed up to this before checking the route. Knew it was hilly but this is cruel and unusual punishment.

3 or 4 different groups leaving at the start at different Ave speeds and loads of bail out points along the way so all is well :)

greenmat wrote: »
    3 or 4 different groups leaving at the start at different Ave speeds and loads of bail out points along the way so all is well :)
    Already have about 5 bail out points in mind. Might even leave the car at the bottom of bellewstown, if I don't need it to get home I can charge for sticky bottles.

Well that was tough! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

One of the most painful I've done anyway. 1700 meters of climbing over 130K. Well run and thanks to the lads at Swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

For my first ever Sportive, that was interesting, hill after hill after hill after hill!!!!!

Given I had to commute there and back today, I had nothing left in me by the time the b*stard of a headwind home was done with me.....

Distance
    199.8km (screw that the Garmin said 200km when I stopped right outside my front door!!!)

Elevation
    2,044m

Moving Time
    07:18:24

Calories

A very well run day and the motor bike definitely helped with the B group I was in!
    Well done to all riders too
    As much as I hate to say it, roll on next year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i cycled by hilltown (up at bellewstown racecours) on my own cycle earlier, good few lads outside a camper van....

looked like fun. hahaha. yeah right :)

Some Good Photo's up on the club website... re-live the Pain! :)

http://www.swordscc.com

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Many thanks to the Swords crew for putting on such a cracking event. That was great, challenging route, with lots of tough little hills, hard roads and good helping of wind. Can still feel it in my legs today. Unwinding and watching the Worlds afterwards was the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Before the pain...

273820.JPG

Well and truly slap bang in the middle of the pain...

273821.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

Seen ye all pass Chateau Wav yesterday.Ye could have stopped and gave me a hand with the painting.Good day for it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They came past Beasty Demesne also, but no-one stopped off for the cake ...:(

... which means more left for me:D

Took this one as I was heading out for the spin...

273873.jpg

One of the group...

273872.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    They came past Beasty Demesne also, but no-one stopped off for the cake ...:(

... which means more left for me:D

I'M OUTSIDE YOUR GAFF.
    OPEN THE DOOR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Were the entire Irish team out of the Worlds by the time ye got to the bar?

Already have about 5 bail out points in mind. Might even leave the car at the bottom of bellewstown, if I don't need it to get home I can charge for sticky bottles.

Had to use one of my bail out points. Legs went completely after about 80km when cramps set in even earlier than expected. Getting a wasp sting on the tongue at the food stop didn't help either. Still had great day and big thanks to the b leader for the coaxing along and good advice

• Advertisement

Had to use one of my bail out points. Legs went completely after about 80km when cramps set in even earlier than expected. Getting a wasp sting on the tongue at the food stop didn't help either. Still had great day and big thanks to the b leader for the coaxing along and good advice

That b leader is a current National Champion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

I got stung on the hand too at the food stop with the B group but sucked up the moaning once I heard about you getting it on the tongue! Its one of the strangest places I've heard of a wasp sting I'll say that :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That "B" leader has something to answer for by the looks of it ...:)

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    That b leader is a current National Champion!

I understand that was a prerequisite. Sure I saw Cav walking up bellewstown with the c group.

Jocry wrote: »
    I got stung on the hand too at the food stop with the B group but sucked up the moaning once I heard about you getting it on the tongue! Its one of the strangest places I've heard of a wasp sting I'll say that :)
    Was initially thinking it was the worst body part to get a wasp sting on but on reflection downgraded it to number 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Sounds like a great day. Has anybody got this on Map my Ride as the Dinosaur on the Garmin is great put it's hard to figure out some of the turns etc. Am planning on heading up this way and tackling this version of the Hell of the North

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Sounds like a great day. Has anybody got this on Map my Ride as the Dinosaur on the Garmin is great put it's hard to figure out some of the turns etc. Am planning on heading up this way and tackling this version of the Hell of the North

Am thinking of a re run of this sometime soon....if interested
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84988432
    A different kinda 'Hell' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

bcmf wrote: »

Whenabouts?

DD Mikasa wrote: »

Have you tried the Garmin "player"? It tracks the route from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

bcmf wrote: »

Sounds good bcmf, we need proper driving rain this time to compliment the pavé and give a real L'Enfer du NCD feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Nope, will look into it, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Whenabouts?
    Not sure yet. Will start a new thread in a day or two. Want to schedule on a Sun when there is no cross on.
    Inquitus wrote: »
    Sounds good bcmf, we need proper driving rain this time to compliment the pavé and give a real L'Enfer du NCD feel to it.
    Absolutley. I want rain for this. Can you imagine the mess?
    Anyway I better stop hijacking the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭calistro

Resurrecting this old thread instead of starting a new one.

Anyone from the Swords club on here know if this is being ran again this year?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Nope, not on this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭calistro

Cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement