Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband - Down Time between switch from Eircom

• 27-09-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hey all,

Recently switched my parents over to Sky Broadband from Eircom and the Sky box came yesterday but they are telling me that Sky said it will be next week until its activated. A week?? Anyone having the same issues? Can they not use the Eircom service up until then?

As you can imagine, being without internet for over a week is not ideal.

Thanks for your help,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 offmeheadpal

does the eircom router still show a red internet light?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭JoeCole26

Hey OMHP,

All lights are green on the eircom router but unable to connect to wifi on iphone or computer??

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BaldyRua

Decided to change from Eircom to Sky as the sky deal was going to be 40Euro cheaper a month, ordered it on the 9th of the month, got the sky hub about 5 days later with an activation date of the 24th, guess what...it didn't happen got on to sky said it would be the 29th, again it didn't happen got on again 3 times to find out what the hell was happening, told it was a delay with their third party in connecting, still with eircom and have service but Sky are really taking the biscut now, 3 weeks after I ordered and nothing and it's like trying to get through to the secret service trying to get them only to be fobed off again and again, if I cancel I'll prob be left with no bb and have to get a new eircom contract for a crappy bb service, I'm not happy!! Any advice??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

BaldyRua wrote: »
    Decided to change from Eircom to Sky as the sky deal was going to be 40Euro cheaper a month, ordered it on the 9th of the month, got the sky hub about 5 days later with an activation date of the 24th, guess what...it didn't happen got on to sky said it would be the 29th, again it didn't happen got on again 3 times to find out what the hell was happening, told it was a delay with their third party in connecting, still with eircom and have service but Sky are really taking the biscut now, 3 weeks after I ordered and nothing and it's like trying to get through to the secret service trying to get them only to be fobed off again and again, if I cancel I'll prob be left with no bb and have to get a new eircom contract for a crappy bb service, I'm not happy!! Any advice??!

As long as you have service hold tough.
    There could be numerous reasons why you haven't been switched & it may not be all Sky's fault.
    You start messing with it & who knows what will happen.
    It would have been a different matter if you had no service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Marzal

ok my story: 2 months ago i canceled eircom fiber and ask for sky unlimited broadband.. biggest mistake of my life. received sky router within 4 days with date on it when it should start to work (which was another 3 days ahead).. after 3 days no connection (no smiley led on on router).. since then they "escalated" each week another technical issue with 5 days to fix it.. happend 9 times!!!!! after 8 weeks guy from EIRCOM came to check it in house and later he called me that my line is fiber and sky offers adsl (really ? news for a technical team??) and it is just a matter of switching it..another 5 days.. so after 2 MONTHS without connection yesterday the happy smiley led turned on and i was able to connect.. but hell: connection speed is 1MB!! ping fluctuates 170-800ms, upload 0.1MB!!! i was with eircom on 25MB/s and same speed was promised by sky csr.. i have checked sky web and it says that it will take 24-48 hours to increase speed so its highest possible and reliable.. will wait till tomorrow and then on monday will cancel it if no progress happens.. csr are great tho have to admit, really trying to explain etc.. but the result so far speaks for itself.. feck sky for now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Marzal

forgot to mention that i was yesterday complaining to my friend about it and was told that his dad works for eircom.. he said if you leave eircom for another provider you are left on last places on their list with technical issues... mayb its actually eircom problem..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Marzal wrote: »
    forgot to mention that i was yesterday complaining to my friend about it and was told that his dad works for eircom.. he said if you leave eircom for another provider you are left on last places on their list with technical issues... mayb its actually eircom problem..

Well, you hit the nail on the head. Eircom will drag their heels for as long as possible when asked by any of the other providers to carry out any function. Their modus operandi is Eircom customers first, the rest can wait. Of course they can now hide behind the guise that all their techies are busy installing efibre around the country.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Well, you hit the nail on the head. Eircom will drag their heels for as long as possible when asked by any of the other providers to carry out any function. Their modus operandi is Eircom customers first, the rest can wait. Of course they can now hide behind the guise that all their techies are busy installing efibre around the country.:(

Not true. At all. Eircom Retail buy service from Wholesale, as do the rest. The field guys are just as slow for everybody.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Marzal wrote: »
    ok my story: 2 months ago i canceled eircom fiber and ask for sky unlimited broadband.. biggest mistake of my life. received sky router within 4 days with date on it when it should start to work (which was another 3 days ahead).. after 3 days no connection (no smiley led on on router).. since then they "escalated" each week another technical issue with 5 days to fix it.. happend 9 times!!!!! after 8 weeks guy from EIRCOM came to check it in house and later he called me that my line is fiber and sky offers adsl (really ? news for a technical team??) and it is just a matter of switching it..another 5 days.. so after 2 MONTHS without connection yesterday the happy smiley led turned on and i was able to connect.. but hell: connection speed is 1MB!! ping fluctuates 170-800ms, upload 0.1MB!!! i was with eircom on 25MB/s and same speed was promised by sky csr.. i have checked sky web and it says that it will take 24-48 hours to increase speed so its highest possible and reliable.. will wait till tomorrow and then on monday will cancel it if no progress happens.. csr are great tho have to admit, really trying to explain etc.. but the result so far speaks for itself.. feck sky for now!!

Sky do not offer the fibre broadband. Switching from fibre to Sky Broadband is a backward step! Service would be much slower!

Advertisement