Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanently Banned from Cycling for Posting Spam

Options
  • 27-09-2013 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've been permanently banned from Cycling for posting Spam which I think is a bit ridiculous.

Having looking at a thread which a few people had been enquiring where to get a Garmin Edge 510 I mentioned that I had some and the price.

This was one post and I was only providing info to the members, it was on topic.

If I am to get banned for this I would urge you to ban the other members that listed company names and prices and website links, promoting these companies, how do I know they are not the owner.

If I said my friend had these rather than myself would that be a ban-able offence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

To be fair, you didn't mention it, you posted just that you had multiple units for sale and quoted a price. The first rule in the Cycling forum charter reads:
    1. Cycling Adverts
    There is a dedicated subforum (Cycling Adverts) for selling bikes and cycling paraphernalia. Read its rules and use it.

So you definitely broke that rule and it definitely was spam. When you're the one doing the selling, it's not providing information, it's advertising. And from your post, you couldn't have posted that in the Adverts forum either because you're selling multiple items which is against their charter:
    No commercial selling – boards.ie do not make a profit from its users; neither will any other company. If you wish to engage in commercial interaction, please contact adverts.ie. The Consumer Information Advertisements Disclosure of Business Interests Order 1984 (Republic of Ireland) requires all advertisements from persons selling goods in the course of a business to make that fact clear. This requirement applies whether the advertiser is acting on his own behalf or for some other person in the course of whose business goods are to be sold.

No "dealers" of any kind - if you purchase any items in quantity, with the sole intent of bringing them here to resell, you are a dealer, by our definition.

So if you want to advertise as a business, email hello@boards.ie and pay for the advertising space. Showing up in the forum and on your first post breaking the first rule of the forum and appearing to do so for commercial reasons; that's sufficient to warrant an immediate ban. I'm not seeing anything in your defence here that would warrant an overturning of that ban.

As to other people's actions, that's irrelevant for the same reason that "but Garda, everyone else on the road was speeding too" isn't going to get you out of a ticket.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

GavFriday wrote: »
    I've been permanently banned from Cycling for posting Spam which I think is a bit ridiculous.

It appears that there has been a mistake made here. You were banned from Cycling when in fact you should have been sitebanned for spamming. I have now rectified this error.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement