Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First date for over 40's

Options
  • 27-09-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi there everybody looking for some advice please...met a really nice woman and we're having our first date on Sunday, she has youngish kids so needs to be home earlyish so it's an afternoon meeting and no drinking...looking for suggestions for where to go in the city center for lunch or dinner, I'm thinking a hotel or somewhere quite but not too quite....ideally a lunch meeting so we could also have time to do something else like the liftey boat thing (can you pay cash on this or by cc only) if you know....or I'm open to any and all suggestions, doesn't have to be a meal it could be anything as long as it's fun.

Can you offer me any suggestions please, btw I haven't been on a first date in 22 years :-o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I can't think of anything off-hand, but just want to wish you all the best. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

40now wrote: »
    Hi there everybody looking for some advice please...met a really nice woman and we're having our first date on Sunday, she has youngish kids so needs to be home earlyish so it's an afternoon meeting and no drinking...looking for suggestions for where to go in the city center for lunch or dinner, I'm thinking a hotel or somewhere quite but not too quite....ideally a lunch meeting so we could also have time to do something else like the liftey boat thing (can you pay cash on this or by cc only) if you know....or I'm open to any and all suggestions, doesn't have to be a meal it could be anything as long as it's fun.

Can you offer me any suggestions please, btw I haven't been on a first date in 22 years :-o

How about an afternoon tea? Somewhere like the merrion or the shelbourne?

Could be a bit pricy or not really your style though, but it's one suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

How about a coffee date? Accents cafe on Lower Stephen Street (I think, off Georges Street) has a lovely atmosphere for a date. They do sweet treats too and the coffee is great. Lovely comfy sofas and that so its great to sit and chat, and you never feel obliged to leave or like you are taking up room. I think that'd be a great date :-) just make sure its open on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Odessa do a good brunch, might be worth checking out.

Or you could wander around the Chester Beatty museum and then have lunch in the cafe there which is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

If you have a car then a nice drive into the hills is always appreciated. The Glencree Centre just above Enniskerry provides food and is near Dublin http://www.glencree.ie/site/find_us.htm An interesting place too. Timbertrove nearby has a very cosy cafe http://www.timbertrove.com/find--contact-us-2-w.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Gravale wrote: »
    If you have a car then a nice drive into the hills is always appreciated.

I wouldn't appreciate this on a first date, especially if I didn't know the person too well :eek:
    For something different, maybe icecream & hot chocolate in Murphys on South William Street.
    If you are looking for a coffee shop type place, Accents or Fixx on Dawson Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Gravale wrote: »
    If you have a car then a nice drive into the hills is always appreciated.

Hi Larry :D

Town and surrounds will be full of Hurling fans tomorrow afternoon probably, so be careful about traffic and/or places that normally might be quiet not being tomorrow especially.

What about a trip to the Avoca shop in Wicklow, it't not too far, food is decent and you might find something interesting to pick up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP check out the attached link to see if there is anything on in Dublin that might be worth a wander around, for example there is a food/music festival in Farmleigh on Sunday, there is another event on in Stephens Green (all free too btw)

http://www.dublineventguide.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What part of Dublin are you in? If you are anywhere around the Northside, or even a bit further away, here's something a bit off the beaten track.

Newbarn Farm

It's a working farm, with a shop - and a lovely restaurant/cafe kind of thing, the food is actually really good, and it's a little bit different.

If she has young kids she might also appreciate the cheap farm fresh vegetables available in the shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Odessa is always great, and Avoca on Suffolk street do a great lunch. You could go to the little museum of Dublin after maybe, if you still have time. Or just walk around the green.

• Advertisement
Advertisement