Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pheasant Count

Options
  • 27-09-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Well lads just over a month to go to the 1st of November.

I've been out and about lately with my English setters and they are covering serious amounts of ground but the number of birds I am meeting is after decreasing :confused:. Hopefully this isn't the case in your area but just wondering if people are meeting many pheasants?

There were some rumours from neighbour gun clubs that some hens had second clutches but don't know if that is even possible??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Starting to notice a few clutches here and there
    Seeing a good few cocks around club land but not as many as i usually see.
    Then again theres a lot more tillage spread afar around the permissions so thats what i have it put down to

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Loads of Birds this year have noticed some very large Birds mixing with the released birds from the pen this year, so there last years Birds;), looking good and seen many a clutch I reckon more birds this year.the weather this year gave them all a great chance to recover from the rain in 2012.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mikeyboo

was out in the bog with the dogs the other day and met 4hens,not a single cock to be found :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lastin

This year was a good breeding season but you must remember it will take a few years to build up numbers from the disaster that was last year

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

rattled 2 fine cocks 2day down the farm with the dog. I'm wondering how many birds would you get to say an acre and 20 acres of wild pheasants I do not release any birds but do alot of vermin control in the area alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭shotie

mostly realeased birds im seeing not many real wild pheasants around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

ace86 wrote: »
    rattled 2 fine cocks 2day down the farm with the dog. I'm wondering how many birds would you get to say an acre and 20 acres of wild pheasants I do not release any birds but do alot of vermin control in the area alright.

I think it depends on the type of land you have. A nice mix of tillage and old meadows will hold a lot more birds than say just plain silage or rushy ground.

On the subject of numbers I've seen more birds on the local game conservancy land in the past week including wild broods than I saw the whole of last autumn. Definatly the fine weather of the past few months has helped survival no end compared to last years washout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

but the number of birds I am meeting is after decreasing

Pheasant populations remind me of the the stock market, pops and drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mikeyboo

FISMA wrote: »
    Pheasant populations remind me of the the stock market, pops and drops.
    HAHA thats prob the best way to discribe it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

I am covering a good bit of ground, and while seeing some I am not so confident. Most I meet are hens or the odd young clutch. But not in great numbers.

But I do think its still very mild, and in my experience you don't see decent numbers until it gets a fair bit colder. Bring on a few nights frost and they we can see how the summer faired out.

Lads don't forget keep at the vermin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭shotie

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    I am covering a good bit of ground, and while seeing some I am not so confident. Most I meet are hens or the odd young clutch. But not in great numbers.

But I do think its still very mild, and in my experience you don't see decent numbers until it gets a fair bit colder. Bring on a few nights frost and they we can see how the summer faired out.

Lads don't forget keep at the vermin.

thats very true and a bit of rain wouldnt go to far either id say alot of birds a moving around trying to find a water source alot of the pools of water around have all dryed up now.

Advertisement