Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent wants references from my visitors?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

djimi wrote: »
    Nothing, legally. Im sure the PRTB would have a field day if the landlord tried to terminate the lease based on this nonsense.

I'm wondering what the estate agent/landlord said would happen to the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Complain to the PRTB definitely. That's a given.

The request for references, has it been made in writing? If not, ask for it in writing, explaining why the request has been made and details on how any data collected belonging to third parties (your girlfriend, other visitors) will be treated in accordance with the Data Protection Act. That it will not be shared with others, etc.

If he doesn't furnish you with such a request in writing, yet brings the matter up again verbally, then you should send him a query in writing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Before you do all this, have you actually explained to the LL and agent the situation? The LL may just be under the impression that someone else has moved in, and therefore is requesting references (as I would if someone moved in who was not on the lease...:I want to be sure I know and am comfortable with who is living in my house). Incidentally, if it were a gf/bf moving in I would be happy to just leave it be, or it were explained it was someone staying over now and then it wouldn't be an issue, but how would I know if I wasn't told?

Are you sure the LL knows the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

It could be neighbours trying to make life difficult if you are prone to having parties etc - not anti social but just run of the mill in your 20's kinda stuff... Otherwise it seems very very odd
    Maybe try to make peace with them or tone it down

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP is renting the entire house, so if they have such silly requests, ensure they give them to you in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Before you do all this, have you actually explained to the LL and agent the situation? The LL may just be under the impression that someone else has moved in, and therefore is requesting references (as I would if someone moved in who was not on the lease...:I want to be sure I know and am comfortable with who is living in my house).

If I was renting an entire house, and subletting was allowed in my lease and I decided to sublet a room or half of my bed to someone, then I would tell you to put your request for references into a very dark, place where there is very little sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If I was renting an entire house, and subletting was allowed in my lease and I decided to sublet a room or half of my bed to someone, then I would tell you to put your request for references into a very dark, place where there is very little sunshine.

It would be very unusual for subletting to be allowed as part of the lease; the norm would be for a lease to specify that subletting is forbidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I've never seen a lease where subletting is permitted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It would be very unusual for subletting to be allowed as part of the lease; the norm would be for a lease to specify that subletting is forbidden.
    This would also explain why a LL would ask for reference for somebody if they thought they were moved in. Also looking for a rent increase.

I know LL who have given discounted rent for one person to move into a house. If they moved somebody in they would be breaking the lease and I would expect to increase the rent as if no discount was applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    This would also explain why a LL would ask for reference for somebody if they thought they were moved in. Also looking for a rent increase.

I know LL who have given discounted rent for one person to move into a house. If they moved somebody in they would be breaking the lease and I would expect to increase the rent as if no discount was applied.

It doesnt explain why they thought that someone was moving in though. Surely any rational person would ask the question first rather than just make wild assumptions and start asking for references etc?

• Advertisement

It doesnt explain why they thought that someone was moving in though. Surely any rational person would ask the question first rather than just make wild assumptions and start asking for references etc?
    Any rational LL wouldn't believe their tenant and believe the neighbour whom they probably know longer.

I gave you a logical reasoning do with it as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

so things are still new and it would be ridiculous of me to ask her to provide references so she can visit my house when the subject of us living together has not even been approached yet!

You should ask here for references before she moves in for sure!! but for your own peace of mind not the landlords.....

You never know she may be a bunny boiler! :D

Ah No I Jest. That is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Any rational LL wouldn't believe their tenant and believe the neighbour whom they probably know longer.

I gave you a logical reasoning do with it as you please.

I'd be very slow to believe neighbours especially when they own their houses.
    People are very odd and If a neighbour takes a dislike to you, it's a problem.

Anyway what right does anyone have to spy on anyone else? would it be okay for the tenant to go to the landlords neighbours and ask questions about him?

And I do understand the hassle that some landlords are put under, but those that listen to neighbours are usually the amateurs, the same ones that don't register with the PRTB.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

And I do understand the hassle that some landlords are put under, but those that listen to neighbours are usually the amateurs, the same ones that don't register with the PRTB.

And if a neighbour makes a complaint to the PRTB about a tenant then who is ultimately responsible??
    Answer - The Landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    And if a neighbour makes a complaint to the PRTB about a tenant then who is ultimately responsible??
    Answer - The Landlord.

I understand what you're saying but many complaints Neighbours make are ridiculous especially in this country. I've been a tenant and a representative for a landlord in the past and some complaints I've heard have included...

He gets too many parcels...
    He doesn't turn the houselights out...as in the living room/bedroom lights.
    Her children are destroying my garden.... the woman didn't have any children!
    That's not counting the usual She's too many men visiting her.

Certain people here who own property are very snobby, add to that the moral attitudes of some and you're looking at a world of pain for both landlords and tenants.

I'd be very slow to believe neighbours especially when they own their houses.
    People are very odd and If a neighbour takes a dislike to you, it's a problem.

Anyway what right does anyone have to spy on anyone else? would it be okay for the tenant to go to the landlords neighbours and ask questions about him?

I have been at this a long time and you will get the nosey neighbour but as time goes on you can get a feel for the neighbours. You will know and have to deal with the neighbours more than tenants over time.

Most neighbours just want a quite life where as a tenant is often not bothered about the local community. It is just the nature of people. If a neighbour complained about every tenant then you know not to trust them but that has yet to happen.

I did have one guy who wanted to buy the house constantly complain about every tenants including ring the Gardaí saying there was drug dealing going on in the house. It took the 4th complaint before the Gardaí realised that it might not be true and the neighbour was ringing in these tips. They had a word with him and the tip offs stopped.

In my experience most neighbour complaints are valid and tenants often lie about stuff. I take a reasoned view like Judge Judy

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

I have been at this a long time and you will get the nosey neighbour but as time goes on you can get a feel for the neighbours. You will know and have to deal with the neighbours more than tenants over time.

Most neighbours just want a quite life where as a tenant is often not bothered about the local community. It is just the nature of people. If a neighbour complained about every tenant then you know not to trust them but that has yet to happen.

I did have one guy who wanted to buy the house constantly complain about every tenants including ring the Gardaí saying there was drug dealing going on in the house. It took the 4th complaint before the Gardaí realised that it might not be true and the neighbour was ringing in these tips. They had a word with him and the tip offs stopped.

In my experience most neighbour complaints are valid and tenants often lie about stuff. I take a reasoned view like Judge Judy

Sad attitude. Would hate to rent from you!

And in my long experience of renting not true.

At present I am being harassed by a neighbour who has a down on my landlord and covets the house I rent.
    His lies are legion.
    Thankfully my landlord knows this.
    OP; I feel for you and endorse that the PTRB is the way to go; Stay strong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I understand what you're saying but many complaints Neighbours make are ridiculous especially in this country. I've been a tenant and a representative for a landlord in the past and some complaints I've heard have included...

Who are you telling? I have gotten complaints that the garden is a mess sodrove down to look to find a couple of kids toys in the garden but nothing thatyou would even look twice at. I also get regular texts by the neighbours saying'the grass needs to be cut'.
    I did have one tenant who was a nightmare with severe anti-socialbehaviour and I am talking about blood all over the driveway here along withsmashing up the neighbours cars. I eventually got her out but the PRTB were nohelp and sided with her at every turn. I eventually got a settlement of €150despite her not paying rent and causing thousands of damage to the house. I wassubtlety threatened by the PRTB that if any part of the eviction process wasdeemed to be illegal that it would cost me alot of money.
    This person came with references btw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

pippip wrote: »
    I think you need a break, you already banned that poster :)

Doh- perhaps I do need a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Who are you telling? I have gotten complaints that the garden is a mess sodrove down to look to find a couple of kids toys in the garden but nothing thatyou would even look twice at. I also get regular texts by the neighbours saying'the grass needs to be cut'.
    I did have one tenant who was a nightmare with severe anti-socialbehaviour and I am talking about blood all over the driveway here along withsmashing up the neighbours cars. I eventually got her out but the PRTB were nohelp and sided with her at every turn. I eventually got a settlement of €150despite her not paying rent and causing thousands of damage to the house. I wassubtlety threatened by the PRTB that if any part of the eviction process wasdeemed to be illegal that it would cost me alot of money.
    This person came with references btw

That is not a threat simply a reminder of the law.

Surely the smashing of the car was a criminal offence .

• Advertisement

Rosier wrote: »
    Sad attitude. Would hate to rent from you!

And in my long experience of renting not true.

At present I am being harassed by a neighbour who has a down on my landlord and covets the house I rent.
    His lies are legion.
    Thankfully my landlord knows this.
    OP; I feel for you and endorse that the PTRB is the way to go; Stay strong

You pretty much have described the way to deal with neighbours complaints that I have said.

I didn't describe an attitude, I explained my experience. Given I have rented to over 100 people I would have more experience than you.

I would say every tenant has lied to me at some point. I don't argue with them about obvious lies as it is not worth it. People act like children when it comes to admitting fault. I don't think it is unique to tenants just human nature. I have had tenants claim there was never certain appliances (toaster, kettle, hoover) in places and I have had to show them pictures that they agreed were the property the day they moved in.

That is not a threat simply a reminder of the law.
    I can tell the difference between a threat and helpful information. You will find that the letter of the law is applied to the landlord whereas the tenant is given wide latitude.
    Surely the smashing of the car was a criminal offence .
    Indeed but there is a burden of proof issue. Anyway way off topic here. My point was that a good reference is not always an indication of a good tenant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement