Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Broken Home Button and Warranty Question

• 27-09-2013 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hey guys,

My sisters home button just went in her 5. She babies it and it's not any sort of water or drop damage, I really have no idea what happened, I drop my 5 daily and don't use any screen protectors or anything and haven't so much as a chip on it.
    I've enabled the onscreen home button for her now but I'm just wondering what the process is of getting it replaced.

She got it brand new last November, sim free from Apple, so I'm assuming it's still under warranty, I'm just wondering where I begin in contacting Apple to get it replaced for her.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Call AppleCare and they'll arrange a repair. Once it's within the 1 year limited warranty they'll give you 2 repair options if the Apple Store in Belfast is out of the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Hey guys,

My sisters home button just went in her 5. She babies it and it's not any sort of water or drop damage, I really have no idea what happened, I drop my 5 daily and don't use any screen protectors or anything and haven't so much as a chip on it.
    I've enabled the onscreen home button for her now but I'm just wondering what the process is of getting it replaced.

She got it brand new last November, sim free from Apple, so I'm assuming it's still under warranty, I'm just wondering where I begin in contacting Apple to get it replaced for her.

if it was bought through a network store (voda / cpw etc) then return it to them and it waill be sent to their authorized repair centre and replaced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

neilmulvey wrote: »
    if it was bought through a network store (voda / cpw etc) then return it to them and it waill be sent to their authorized repair centre and replaced

Nooooooooooo! Always send an Apple product back to Apple.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Nooooooooooo! Always send an Apple product back to Apple.

why? the process is the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

why? the process is the same

Always deal with apple, quicker and less likely to get hassle (for example creating a fuss about cosmetic damage that is not cause of your tech problem but still use it as an excuse to charge you for a repair).
    You can get advance replacement where apple sent you a new one before you return yours (€29 or free with apple care, t&c's) Apple generally replace within a week, with a shop repair you can be lucky if you have it back after a month...
    Apple don't fix your phone but replace it (so it's like getting a new one).
    Lastly it is often reported here that there aren't any apple authorised repairs in Ireland (although they'll claim they are).

• Advertisement

flyguy wrote: »
    Always deal with apple, quicker and less likely to get hassle (for example creating a fuss about cosmetic damage that is not cause of your tech problem but still use it as an excuse to charge you for a repair).
    You can get advance replacement where apple sent you a new one before you return yours (€29 or free with apple care, t&c's) Apple generally replace within a week, with a shop repair you can be lucky if you have it back after a month...
    Apple don't fix your phone but replace it (so it's like getting a new one).
    Lastly it is often reported here that there aren't any apple authorised repairs in Ireland (although they'll claim they are).

if you bring an iphone to network shop (including cpw) they are generally replaced if in warranty through the repair centre they use. I know several people who have done this with the same issue and they had the phone back the same week.

Apple only allow certain repairs on iphones such as camera/ear/loudspeaker to be done using replacement parts supplied by apple

The shops in Dublin who offer repairs on iphone screens are using non genuine components which void your warranty if you later return it to the shop you bought it from.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

if you bring an iphone to network shop (including cpw) they are generally replaced if in warranty through the repair centre they use. I know several people who have done this with the same issue and they had the phone back the same week.

Apple only allow certain repairs on iphones such as camera/ear/loudspeaker to be done using replacement parts supplied by apple

The shops in Dublin who offer repairs on iphone screens are using non genuine components which void your warranty if you later return it to the shop you bought it from.

No they don't. There are no authorised Apple repair centres for iPhones in Ireland. Anyone else opens the phone and the warranty is voided.
    Some places may replace a brand new faulty phone if they have stock, most don't. I don't know anyone that would replace a 5/6/12 month old phone in warranty with a new one.

whiterebel wrote: »
    No they don't. There are no authorised Apple repair centres for iPhones in Ireland. Anyone else opens the phone and the warranty is voided.
    Some places may replace a brand new faulty phone if they have stock, most don't. I don't know anyone that would replace a 5/6/12 month old phone in warranty with a new one.

For the last 3 months, apple have given the go ahead to do some warranty repairs and are supplying parts (camera, earpiece, loudspeaker, home key). That is 100% fact.

Vodafone, Meteor and CPW stores return iphones to one centre and they are swapped once they meet apple's criteria (in warranty, no cosmetic damage, no fake parts etc). But since June Apple have started to allow some repairs to be carried out and they are supplying parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Never, ever in a Million, Billion, Trillion years do this... ever. :eek:

Go to apple.ie/support look for iPhone support, pop in the detail and Apple will call you with in seconds.

Whilst filling in the details it will probably tell you you'll need to pay for tech support. Just tick the option that says something like you believe this to be a fault Apple will replace your phone for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

For the last 3 months, apple have given the go ahead to do some warranty repairs and are supplying parts (camera, earpiece, loudspeaker, home key). That is 100% fact.

Vodafone, Meteor and CPW stores return iphones to one centre and they are swapped once they meet apple's criteria (in warranty, no cosmetic damage, no fake parts etc). But since June Apple have started to allow some repairs to be carried out and they are supplying parts.

Although I've no doubt what you're saying is true, there are too many stories -including here on boards- where there were problems with repairs done through a shop. Maybe it's sometimes the shop's (staff) fault but it's a hassle non the less. Also I'd rather have the option to pay €29 and not be without a phone for even a day, let alone a week.
    As your story confirms, often they refuse or a repair or try to charge for one due to some (minor) cosmetic damage that has nothing to do with the fault. Lastly if I have the choice I'd much rather have a nice new (refurb) phone without a scratch on it then my repaired phone back. Not saying the shops way is wrong, going with apple is just better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

got onto apple about this on about monday i'd say, home button broken the same as yours. The one on "apple chat" said it was no problem and I'm getting a new one no bother, thank god it was on warranty! now I just need to get the box from An Post for sending my old one back before they get rid of it, registered post for you :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

diograis wrote: »
    got onto apple about this on about monday i'd say, home button broken the same as yours. The one on "apple chat" said it was no problem and I'm getting a new one no bother, thank god it was on warranty! now I just need to get the box from An Post for sending my old one back before they get rid of it, registered post for you :(

Apple normally send you the details including labels and box for the return via UPS?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

whiterebel wrote: »
    Apple normally send you the details including labels and box for the return via UPS?
    Always have for me.

They replaced my 5 last month and the new one came in a box which I then used to send the old one back. They give you a pre-paid UPS bag which you just need to send them within 10 days. Call UPS any time you're ready and they'll pick it up.

Never, ever, bring it back to the network shop. Why would anyone do this given the joy that is a Apple warrantly care, and the devious apathy that is most network care channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

As others have said OP when UPS bring the replacement you can give the broken iPhone back to the agent there and then make sure you put it in the box and seal the bag yourself mind.

Advertisement