Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Town of Runners - UCC

Options
  • 27-09-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭

Free showing of Town of Runners in UCC next Tuesday at 7m, info below.
    All are welcome to see the film Town of Runners (Followed by Q & A with film Director Jerry Rothwell) @ the SUAS 8x8 Film Festival - University College Cork - Tuesday, 1 October 2013 from 19:00 to 22:00 (IST) @ Boole 2. No charge - further details on film at: http://townofrunners-8x8-ucc-eorg.eventbrite.ie/ Pass on invite to other runners you think might be interested.

The 8x8 Documentary Film Festival presents students with the opportunity to explore key global issues in a way that challenges assumptions and perspectives, and inspires action for change. The series of free week–long festivals will run back to back on five University Campuses across Ireland beginning with NUI Galway on the 23rd of September, UCC (30th Sept to Oct 4th) and concluding in DCU on the 27th of October. See film fest promotional video on VIMEO: http://vimeo.com/73861835#at=0

Town of Runners is a feature documentary about young runners from Bekoji - an Ethiopian highland town which has produced some of the world's greatest distance athletes, including Tirunesh Dibaba, Kenenisa Bekele and Derartu Tulu. Bekoji holds few opportunities for young people beyond subsistence agriculture, particularly for girls. Only a small percentage of girls in the town will move from primary to secondary education and many will marry very young. The film tells the story of two young girls, Alemi and Hawii, for whom athletics offers the chance of a different life. Narrated by their friend Biruk the film follows their highs and lows over three years as they try to become professional athletes. Through their struggle, the film gives a unique insight into the ambitions of young Ethiopians living between tradition and the modern world.
    For further information please see http://www.townofrunners.com/

Edit: Just noticed you have to register in advance via the first link above but still free though.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Got this on DVD after missing it in the Lighthouse. Tis very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I've just discovered Amazon's "instant video" thanks to this. Sounds like it's well worth renting and watching for 2.99$

Don't know yet if it's restricted or what, will report back when I try renting it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Itziger wrote: »
    I've just discovered Amazon's "instant video" thanks to this. Sounds like it's well worth renting and watching for 2.99$

Don't know yet if it's restricted or what, will report back when I try renting it.

You can also get it on itunes I believe

Advertisement