Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancelled Sky, What Next?

• 27-09-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Just gave Sky 31 days notice of cancellation which expires the end of Oct. I had intended switching to UPC Horizon but having read the sticky on this forum I'm not so sure. We already have our phone and broadband with UPC and we're paying about €45 per month, we're also paying Sky €82, so by switching to Horizon we'd save about €50 per month. However, I don't want to do this and then have endless problems with Wifi coverage, or issues with the TV. We previously had our TV with UPC about 4 years ago but got rid of it after 3 weeks it was such a nightmare.

The other option would be to get a combi box with FTA channels and Saorview, and wonder if anyone else has gone this route and how it works.

We have a smart TV and a lot of what we watch is on Netflix, but we would want the facility to record programmes as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

first of all sit tight with Sky................thet will contact you........and even if you have to go a day or too without TV it could be worth it.

Re saorview/fta i'd say most of the posters on this site have gone thais route, me included.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

greyc wrote: »
    We have a smart TV and a lot of what we watch is on Netflix, but we would want the facility to record programmes as well.

What's the tv make & model?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

kooga wrote: »
    first of all sit tight with Sky................thet will contact you........and even if you have to go a day or too without TV it could be worth it.

Re saorview/fta i'd say most of the posters on this site have gone thais route, me included.

They've confirmed that it's cancelled but we can continue watching it until Oct 27th. Any suggestions on the best box to get and who to install it, don't think I'd be able to do it myself. We have the Sky dish but i assume we need some sort of aerial for Saorview.
    Peter Rhea wrote: »
    What's the tv make & model?

It's a Samsung, think the model no is UE40ES55, got it last Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

They've confirmed that it's cancelled but we can continue watching it until Oct 27th. Any suggestions on the best box to get and who to install it, don't think I'd be able to do it myself. We have the Sky dish but i assume we need some sort of aerial for Saorview.

re installation where are you based? i'm sure there is somebody good around where you are.

type of boxes are a matter of opinion, many on here use the ferguson aviva. I have a triax combo and an alma s2300 can't fault them. However there are many other boxes suitable for the enthusiast which i wouldn't be knowledge able on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Just gave Sky 31 days notice of cancellation which expires the end of Oct. I had intended switching to UPC Horizon but having read the sticky on this forum I'm not so sure. We already have our phone and broadband with UPC and we're paying about €45 per month, we're also paying Sky €82, so by switching to Horizon we'd save about €50 per month. However, I don't want to do this and then have endless problems with Wifi coverage, or issues with the TV. We previously had our TV with UPC about 4 years ago but got rid of it after 3 weeks it was such a nightmare.

The other option would be to get a combi box with FTA channels and Saorview, and wonder if anyone else has gone this route and how it works.

Wifi problems can happen with any provider, usual cause is interference from wifi devices near your house. The answer is to change your router to broadcast on a channel with less interference

• Advertisement

smee again wrote: »
    Wifi problems can happen with any provider, usual cause is interference from wifi devices near your house. The answer is to change your router to broadcast on a channel with less interference

We already have broadband with UPC and it's fine, but a lot of posters who've switched to Horizon seem to be experiencing problems especially with coverage in other rooms or upstairs. As the Horizon box contains the phone,TV & broadband, it means we'd be stuck with whatever coverage we get. The attraction of Horizon is that it would only cost an extra €30 per month, however I suppose buying a combo box wouldn't cost anything extra after the initial outlay.

kooga wrote: »
    re installation where are you based? i'm sure there is somebody good around where you are.

type of boxes are a matter of opinion, many on here use the ferguson aviva. I have a triax combo and an alma s2300 can't fault them. However there are many other boxes suitable for the enthusiast which i wouldn't be knowledge able on

We're close to Dublin so I suppose there's lots of companies around, just don't want to get stuck with a heap of rubbish as I wouldn't know whats decent or not. I'll look around and see what boxes they're offering and make a decision then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

The ES5500 can record to an external USB storage device, from its own tuner. Only has a terrestrial tuner though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

We already have broadband with UPC and it's fine, but a lot of posters who've switched to Horizon seem to be experiencing problems especially with coverage in other rooms or upstairs. As the Horizon box contains the phone,TV & broadband, it means we'd be stuck with whatever coverage we get. The attraction of Horizon is that it would only cost an extra €30 per month, however I suppose buying a combo box wouldn't cost anything extra after the initial outlay.

The problem there is that people shouldn't be depending completely on wireless to stream HD content, even with wireless "n". With the high speeds UPC offer the day has now come that's it's better to run cables to anything static, then you can easily add another AP to cover the areas without coverage.

Advertisement