Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet places to study?

Options
  • 27-09-2013 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of a good place to study in Dublin? By that I mean a quiet place to actually study without any serious distractions.

I had been using Costa Coffee (private room) but that thing is booked out like crazy. Their other quiet area has very poor lighting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bertie Bassett

Pearse Street Public Library has a dedicated study room upstairs which is pretty good. You need to book in advance and it gets busy around exam times but it should be ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SolitaireX

Invest in a decent set of noise cancelling headphones, study anywhere.

Step three: profit

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

SolitaireX wrote: »
    Invest in a decent set of noise cancelling headphones, study anywhere.

Step three: profit

Doesn't help if you are studying with someone and need to talk. But thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

If you are an alumnus of one of the 3rd level institutions in Dublin you can usually get a reading card and study in their libraries. Or you know ask someone for a lend of their card...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

There is/was a lovely little cafe on Dukes Street near Trinity College (near the junction with Dawson street) that I used to go to. Might be a Costa Coffee or a small chain, I forget. It was small (tiny) upstairs, but the basement room was amazingly snug and a place where I did most of my student for my 3rd and 4th year exams. Coffee, for a chain, wasn't bad, too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Didn't realise you needed to book Pearse St in advance. Is that new? I used it a few times when doing my Masters for distance learning, it was pretty quiet, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Central library in the ilac is good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Avoid the Ilac library. I used to be proper knackered after studying for a few hours. But I could do a day in Rathmines Library with no problem. I think its because there is no fresh air in the Ilac, its just central air which is extremely stale. Plus there was the odd junkie couple fight which isnt helpful.

Rathmines library has a fairly decent reading room upstairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

hfallada wrote: »
    Plus there was the odd junkie couple fight which isnt helpful.

Probably fighting over who gets the last copy of Junkie, by William Burroughs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Hobbes wrote: »
    Doesn't help if you are studying with someone and need to talk. But thanks for the response.

So you want a quiet study area in which you can talk? Kinda defeats the purpose no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

So you want a quiet study area in which you can talk? Kinda defeats the purpose no?

No. Depends on what you are studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I was in the Tea Garden on the quay at the weekend and managed to lose an hour in reading, no problem. Other people will talk, but there are different rooms in there and the overall atmosphere is quiet and relaxing so you should be able to tuck yourself away somewhere.

Advertisement