Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stopped at motherway checkpoint with only a Leaners permit

• 27-09-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42

So I was stopped today at a motorway check point unaccompanied and only holding a Learners Permit..and got a tellin off from a guard and asked me to produce my cert of insurance, and told me I could well be prosecuted,he then ushered me on to a side road and let me drive off.
    Now I know I am 100% in the wrong but I am just wondering what the will the consequences could or will be??

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Points, possible fine of up to €2,000, and possible time behind bars (up to 3 months). It will depend on the judge.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0415/world/l-plate-drivers-thousands-fined-for-going-solo-228374.html

Plenty of resources out there that show examples of the punishments given in different courts across the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Better check your insurance policy too, just your insurer has a clause like Axa's
    13 Driving Licence Conditions.
    No cover will apply under this policy for any driver who is not meeting the conditions of his/her licence/Learner permit. This includes conditions relating to the class of vehicle being driven, the requirement to be accompanied when driving under a learner permit or any other restriction or condition that may apply.

I'm not 100% sure if that means that you're insured but they can sue you for any payout (i.e. no law broken), or more seriously, that you're not insured at all while driving unaccompanied or on a motorway. I think the former but I suggest you clarify that with your insurer in case the latter applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

"stopped at motherway checkpoint with only a Leaners permit" Freudian slip? "Mammy, the bold man stopped me and frickened me! Boohoo, Mammy!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

+1 on that. Motorway checkpoints? More like getting spotted from a garda verge on the motorway and being pulled in. Thats not the same as a checkpoint.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure in case there were any recent amendments.

goz83 wrote: »
    +1 on that. Motorway checkpoints? More like getting spotted from a garda verge on the motorway and being pulled in. Thats not the same as a checkpoint.

I've seen checkpoints on the exit of a motorway, not on the mainline itself but near the "End of motorway" sign on the off-ramp near where it usually enters a roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

thats 2 faults there - driving unaccompanied and driving on a motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

mathepac wrote: »
    "stopped at motherway checkpoint with only a Leaners permit" Freudian slip? "Mammy, the bold man stopped me and frickened me! Boohoo, Mammy!"
    I immediately thought of Motherboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I've seen checkpoints twice on a motorway, both of which were on the M 1. Not ideal but there are some motorists who take chances on motorways on the basis that there won't be any checks so I guess there is a need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Once the checkpoints are on fairly straight sections you will notice them in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

To be honest if one is driving in a manner which doesn't allow time to stop for checkpoints/accidents etc (as we've seen recently) we probably need more check points not less.

120KPH is the limit, not the speed everyone should be traveling at. Flashing lights and big signs in the distance should trigger an application of the brakes until sure of what the hazard is.

Sorry to go on but I don't buy this argument of safety zones/cameras and checkpoints causing accidents. Lack of hazard perception, combined with lack of awareness of speed/non-compliance with speed limits is what causes accidents. I'm actually in favour of removing the speed limit on motorways completely, but jailing people who don't drive in accordance with road/traffic conditions. I think a couple of weeks in Mountjoy for using the mobile would focus the mind on getting a handsfree.

Advertisement