Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Toasties arent Great

Options
  • 27-09-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭

Whenever I make a toastie, the cheese seems to disappear, normal block of cheddar cheese, tried it with most brands now and it just turns into cheesy water and the whole thing turns out bland and unappetising.

What am I doing wrong? All the recipes online tend to be American style grilled cheeses but Im talking about the Irish pub toastie, proper kind of almost burnt cheese taste off it if you know what I mean, not the watery mess I make now, its weird cos I used to fire them out by the hundred when I worked in a pub and they were all perfect, any tips?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What type of appliance are you using to toast them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hmm that could be the issue, they get very hot and could completely melt the cheese.

Have you tried reducing the time they are in it, or toasting them on a grill?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh really? I was thinking not enough heat, maybe Ill try toasting them a bit before I add the cheese then, thanks.

Well if the cheese is dissappearing it would indicate it's being melted to nothing.

I just throw mine under the grill in the oven and they toast fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'd second doing toasties by grill. I used to do them on the George Foreman and always bemoaned the mysterious lack of cheese v the generous amount put on there at the start of the process! Grilling is the way forward when cheese is involved!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I prefer the grill too, because it gets so hot that it toasts the bread before the cheese goes to mush.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thargor wrote: »
    proper kind of almost burnt cheese taste off it if you know what I mean
    I fry cheese on a non stick pan, I lay it out to be the size of a slice of toast. I do normal toast in a toaster and then press it into the fried cheese, then wipe it around a bit so the cheese sticks to the toast.

If you put cheese on the bread the moisture in the bread cannot easily escape, and goes soggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

If I'm feeling like a fatty fatty fat fat I cook mine in a frying pan (I dry fry it though). It makes it easier to control the heat and is yummy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Aldi sell cheese toastie bags. Although it doesn't melt the cheese completely, it heats it and makes it soft and warm. It's no as good as the grill. But it's a lot quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i do mine in the pan as well on a medium heat, (buttered side out) and they always turn out perfect.

actually made them as a quick dinner last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

+1 to Vibe666. Buttered side out and a couple of minutes each side on a dry frypan. Sweet combinations work well this way too. Choc spread and banana...Mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I put the bread in the toaster and turn on the grill. I dice or grate a fair bit of my block of cheese onto a plate then for it. I then get my yummy ham, chopped spring onion, deseeded and diced tomato with salt and pepper ready. Toast pops and gets buttered, ham first and then add the rest of the stuff and add another extra bit of cheese to the top. I put both slices under the grill separately for a few minutes, small spread of mayo, put the slices of deliciousness together. Nice way to start the day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

is the cheese next to the bread, e.g. the order needs to be Butter, Bread, Cheese, Filling, Cheese, Bread, Butter.

Cheese oils will soak into bread and make nice and crispy.

Cheddar is also not a great cheese for melting. Provolone is the best if you can get it otherwise I like to use mozzarella in my toasties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Woshy wrote: »
    If I'm feeling like a fatty fatty fat fat I cook mine in a frying pan (I dry fry it though). It makes it easier to control the heat and is yummy :)

+1 for this. Works a treat each time. Reminds me I haven't had one for ages. I do put a little bit of butter on the outside of the bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mayo on the outside works well too. It is easier to spread on untoasted bread, and done more evenly. It goes a nice golden colour and a little like french toast due to the egg.

Those old sandwich makers that do the diagonal line are crap, reckon I chipped a few teeth on the rock hard parts they end up making.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

rubadub wrote: »
    Mayo on the outside works well too. It is easier to spread on untoasted bread, and done more evenly. It goes a nice golden colour and a little like french toast due to the egg.

Those old sandwich makers that do the diagonal line are crap, reckon I chipped a few teeth on the rock hard parts they end up making.

I love those bits. Compacted bread and crustified cheese. We need a drool smilie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

hardCopy wrote: »
    I love those bits. Compacted bread and crustified cheese. We need a drool smilie.
    Same! It's a nice, rock-hard variation in texture compared to the gloopy rest of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

The burnt cheese and crispy corners are the best parts!

My mother has a Morphy Richards one that's about 20 years old, and it's by far the best one I've ever come across. Any newer ones I've used don't get hot enough and they don't seal the sandwich properly, so all the cheese leaks out. You want some burnt bits, but you still want the majority of the cheese in the sambo, like! Also, buttering the outside is the cardinal rule, regardless of cooking method.
    BailMeOut wrote: »
    Cheddar is also not a great cheese for melting. Provolone is the best if you can get it otherwise I like to use mozzarella in my toasties.

Full-fat cheddar is an excellent melter. The general rule with cheddar is the more mature it is, the better it melts.

Wouldn't waste the calories putting mozzarella in a toastie, personally. Far too bland and with too high a water content. I like ultra-sharp cheeses in my toasties. A little wedge of St. Paulin or Port Salut on top of the sharp cheese does add an excellent ooze factor, though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Wouldn't waste the calories putting mozzarella in a toastie, personally. Far too bland and with too high a water content. I like ultra-sharp cheeses in my toasties. A little wedge of St. Paulin or Port Salut on top of the sharp cheese does add an excellent ooze factor, though :)

Nice! I mix a bit of mozz with my super-sharp cheddar. About 3 parts cheddar to 1 part mozzarella. Then you get the stringy goodness with the taste.

Must have mustard in my toasties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The George Foreman grill is great for toasted sandwiches - a bit of butter on the outisde of each slice of bread and away you go....mmmm would devour one now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

vibe666 wrote: »
    i do mine in the pan as well on a medium heat, (buttered side out) and they always turn out perfect.

Ditto.
    I'd put a light pan or pot on top of the sandwich for a bit of press, and try to make sure the cheese doesn't ooze out to the cooking pan.

Advertisement