Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good gift for a new baby in hospital

Options
  • 27-09-2013 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

My friend recently had a baby and he is a little unwell so will be in hospital for a while.I would really like to buy the two of them a nice gift but I'm not sure what would be useful or nice for them. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'd like anything from something that might be useful to something that would make my friend smile during a tough time.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but ye seem like ye might be the experts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If the baby is in the special care unit I don't think they will allow anything in there but the bare minimum needed. Really sick babies don't even wear clothes if they are hooked up to monitors.

Maybe just buy mammy something for now and get baby something when they are home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

maybe some baby books for them to read to the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks for the replies, I hadn't really considered that they wouldn't let anything into the special unit. I suppose I'll buy her something then instead for now and get him something when he comes home. Hopefully it'll be soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

A nice blanket is always useful and can be used for months (or years) whereas clothes only fit for such a short time.
    Maybe some nice hand cream or body lotion for mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 highflyer30

A bottle of perfume for the new mammy. I got a gift of the small bottle of jo Malone. Really loved it, lovely idea to give something to the mum after her hard work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

A bottle of perfume for the new mammy. I got a gift of the small bottle of jo Malone. Really loved it, lovely idea to give something to the mum after her hard work :)

Be careful with perfume. I personally didn't like to wear anything perfumed until my babies were at least six months old in case it irritated them.

Could you stretch to a voucher towards a breast pump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Be careful with perfume. I personally didn't like to wear anything perfumed until my babies were at least six months old in case it irritated them.

Could you stretch to a voucher towards a breast pump?

That's assuming the mother is breast feeding ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

January wrote: »
    That's assuming the mother is breast feeding ;)

True - she might not be or might not need it.

I assume the OP would ask though?

Vouchers towards anything are great - mother care or Dunnes or the online shops. Once born has good stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I don't wear perfume when I have babies either mostly so I smell the same to them.
    A boots voucher rather then a voucher towards a pump could be good.
    I remember a friend having a baby in the late 20 weeks and I went and asked on a premmie chat board what to buy for the baby as it was touch or go and was told sotry books as you are sitting there all day and need distractions and baby needs to hear your voice.
    The blanket idea is lovely,a friends mother made us a gorgeous patch work quilt and another friend crotched a small pram blanket and they have been used a lot.
    I know it sounds odd but if you cook or bak,cook stuff for her and freeze it and give it to her,with a baby in hospital their eating time is minimal and will be less when they bring baby home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

River dance for kids. Met the band, our kid loves them

http://www.thespeks.com/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Not sure what your budget is but these Baby Hoodies are brilliant. I'd imagine when baby comes out of hospital they'll need to be kept very warm, the blankets fit into the car seat with holes for all the straps. It means you don't need to fumble around putting coats or snow suits on small babies, esp if the baby was premature.

Www.morrck.com

They've really quick delivery to ireland. The one I have is the all season one it's a lovely soft fleece. Definitely recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

A really good quality blanket is something a child can hold onto for years. We got a lovely foxford one and its the blanket i will keep for my little one throughout the years.

I'm probably a little weird but I works but anyone something as personal as a breast pump. Alot of people (me included I guess) are private about how I feed my baby. I totally understand the practically of helping someone out with a very expensive item but it wouldn't be my choice of gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We got another nice present of a gorgeous soft blanket and comforter toy both personalised with the babies name and date of birth from www.vintagelane.ie . Lovely keepsake as well as practical.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The best gifts we got were a merino wool blanket which he still uses. Far softer than cotton and brilliant for babies - it doesn't overheat them. Its pricey though.

The other gift we got was a handmade patchwork quilt - like, months of work went into it, we were gobsmacked.

But, probably the best gift is hands on help. Fill their freezer with individual sized meals - spag bol, curries, soups, stews. It can be hard to cook properly for yourself in the early days, and more so if they are spending time with the baby they might eat on the run, and new parents need to eat properly.

If you or they are comfortable with it, offer to help with housework, so they can rest/spend more time with baby. Or get a shopping list from them and do their grocery shop, and bring it home for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

www.notonthehighstreet.com have the most beautiful baby keepsakes which can be personalised. I have to stop myself looking at that website or I'd buy everything on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

If there was someone else you could go in with (because they're expensive) the BEST present I ever got from my sisters on my first child was a doomoo.

http://www.littledreamers.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=157_290

my 3 babies lived in it for the first few months - they're designed so that they can sleep in them for hours in end because they provide the necessary support for the babies head and spine.

Anyway, couldn't live without it.

Advertisement