Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you think- Westie and Vets

• 27-09-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi
    A new vet opened up near me recently and I brought our westie there for his groom. They told me they do a full groom and I was happy with that. Now where I norm bring him does a full groom also and this incl nails, clean ears clip wash etc etc.....
    Anyway when I brought him in for his groom, I mentioned to the girl that he had a little mark on his belly and could they look at this for me. Like a scab. He would get little harvest mites at the start of summer each year and Id treat him for these with the spray. Which is what I had done. When I went back to collect him after the groom the girl told me he was fine and all was good.

For the days after his grooming he was constantly scratching. So back to the vet and she told me this time it was like a dermatitis on his skin and she'd give a medicated shampoo for it. So again more money.

The shampoo cleared the dermo and he's fine, but again scratching. I had him back with her to get his teeth cleaned the other day and mentioned the itching again to her. When I went to collect him, she told me that she cleaned out his ears and gave me drops for them so all that was extra on top of the cleaning. But his skin is perfect......
    Then just as I left she told me in a wk or so if still scratching bring him back and she'd give a medicated shampoo, he may need that
    AAAAAHHHHHH

He's never had any skin problems, ear problems or anything like it until that groom. And I was saying to my husband surely if they cleaned his ears for his groom why would she have to clean them so soon again....Is that possible?
    Somebody said to me that maybe she's trying keep me coming back as each time it is quite costly.
    What do you think??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Is that the Vet practice with the really big windows ?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

No doesn't have big windows, where are you thinking about? This vet is just off a house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭stoeger2000

Just wondering why you are bringing you dog to a vet to be groomed?? Surely that's a groomers job, not a vets??

O there's a groomer at the vets, its not the actual vet Im bringing her too to be groomed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭stoeger2000

zsha wrote: »
    O there's a groomer at the vets, its not the actual vet Im bringing her too to be groomed

Ah, that makes more sense.

Your dog may have had an allergic reaction to the shampoo used when they groomed him at first, and then needed a medicated shampoo to clear it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

There is a saying 'They saw you coming' about businesses that saw an opportunity to charge more. Such places are often said to 'have big windows' to help them 'see you coming'.

Perhaps all of the treatments & care given were strictly necessary,
    but it doesn't sound like it.

:o:o Never heard of the "big windows" before
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah it does seem like alot of treatment when I read back what Ive written. Will keep an eye on dog and see how we go.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Can I ask why you changed groomer, to try this one, were you unhappy with your previous groomer?

No wasn't unhappy at all, just this one was more convenient to me and easier get to and park at etc etc, I could even walk to this one that was all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

How many times has he been washed now between the different shampoos? My white coated friend got washed about once every 3 months if not longer except when he decided to roll in poo. Too much shampooing could strip the natural oil /protection from his coat

• Advertisement

Thankfully our westie seems to be fine now. Normally we'd only get him groomed twice a year which would be when he's shampooed unless like that he'd roll around in something. But that would be it.
    I don't know what it was tbh but he seems ok now touch wood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

it could just have been the time of year op. my female westie always has skin flare ups and itching aug/sept each year. shes starting to clear up now as usual.

Advertisement