Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween OctoBeers - Saturday 26th, Clapham

Options
  • 27-09-2013 3:24pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, we've not had a night out/Beers in ages. Forgoing the usual range of choice (Fist of Modly Powah for the win! etc), I suggest either the first or last weekend in October. I've also enabled Thursday the 31st, which automatically triggers the Old Fart Alert (cue flashing lights, etc) for those of us who are Ancient, Crap and Cannot Be Dealing with Social Antics On A Schoolnight.

Venue yet to be determined, possibly somewhere new if we get interesting suggestions. I'm still seriously thinking that this could be tied into a trip to Heart Of Gaming, but further research will be required.

As ever, vote to show your date preference (all votes are public) and post with suggestions/preferences for venue and location

What day in October should we have the OctoBeers? 36 votes

Friday 4th
    0%
    Saturday 5th
    11%
    Santa ClausBrokenArrowsJack B. BaddLovelyLDN 4 votes
    Friday 25th
    13%
    Santa ClausBrokenArrowsJack B. BaddspacelucyLovelyLDN 5 votes
    Saturday 26th
    22%
    rainbow kirbySanta ClausBrokenArrowsMisticlesJack B. Baddhelpwanted01Nika BolokovLovelyLDN 8 votes
    Thursday 31st (Schoolnight alert!)
    30%
    biZrbrainbow kirbyPlayboySanta ClausBrokenArrowsMisticlesJack B. BaddspacelucyReekwindChoccie LoverLovelyLDN 11 votes
    Other (post in thread)
    22%
    rainbow kirbySanta ClausBrokenArrowsMisticles83stesilvervixen84ballsymchughReekwind 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Other (post in thread)
    It's 31st or nothin' for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Will it be a fancy dress beers?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Scarinae wrote: »
    Will it be a fancy dress beers?

That could probably be arranged, especially if it's the 31st...Or any other day really, but it's probably less weird if there's more than one person dressed up and it's halloween, rather than just one person turning up to the pub in their Hannibal Lecter outfit for the hell of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Other (post in thread)
    I've voted for all the days because they all work.

I'll take the Friday off work if its on the 31st. Got too many holiday days left that I need to use up!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Other (post in thread)
    Halloween beers ftw!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

One wrinkle in the Halloween Beers idea is that Jack B Badd and I have tickets booked that night that can't be rescheduled, so someone else would need to take the lead as organiser/liaison for any newbies or late arrivals. Let's see how things look in a couple of weeks - so far it's pretty much even between the last Saturday and Halloween.

Other (post in thread)
    Although Halloween night would be amazing I suspect its probably the night that people will most likely flake out on coming to a boards beers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Other (post in thread)
    A possibility for the venue?

http://www.monarchbar.com/events/eventdetails/31-oct-13-imperial-leisure-the-monarch/

It's having an Evil Clown Halloween Party :pac:

Other (post in thread)

http://www.monarchbar.com/events/eventdetails/31-oct-13-imperial-leisure-the-monarch/

Looks like it could be fun. :)

Right, the poll is showing a narrow margin in favour of Saturday 26th. In order to give everyone 2 weeks advance notice, I'll make a call on Sunday, so if you haven't voted yet and have a preference, vote before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I voted for the 26th as if I'm able to make then this is the date I can do.

Other (post in thread)
    Just to make things more confusing a friend of mines birthday has been moved to the 26th, so depending on the location of the beers and party I may or may not be able to make it. Nether location has been arranged yet!!

Hopefully ill be able to attend both :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Playboy there, explaining how to use the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

I'll try my best to make this one! It's been ages :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Other (post in thread)
    Just to make things more confusing a friend of mines birthday has been moved to the 26th,

how did they manage that?! sounds like it should be reported to someone in revenue! :pac:

Right, so Saturday 26th is the most popular night for Beers.

Unfortunately, I've had other commitments arise during the day which mean I won't be able to co-ordinate the pre-drinks food expedition, or be there early enough to be a first contact for any newbies who want to come along.

Any volunteers for taking over as, I don't know, Honorary Beer Mod or some such?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I don't mind volunteering as a Honorary Beer Mod for the evening.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to where to go for food and/or drinks? As a vodka loving vegan, I don't think I'm the best person to suggest places otherwise we'll be having a night of tofu and vodka :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I could live out my dream of going to a Halloween party as Doink the Clown and not be ridiculed. I'm in!!!!!

biZrb wrote: »
    I don't mind volunteering as a Honorary Beer Mod for the evening.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to where to go for food and/or drinks? As a vodka loving vegan, I don't think I'm the best person to suggest places otherwise we'll be having a night of tofu and vodka :D

Well I'd suggest somewhere central as I'm sure there are plenty of us from the south who will struggle to get home from Camden and vice versa people from the north who will not appreciate a long commute via night bus from the south.

Maybe I'm getting old but somewhere where there is a possibility of a seat, it takes a sensible amount of time to get a drink, you can hear other people speak without shouting and somewhere that isnt jammed. At the same time it has to have a fantastic selection of drinks, friendly bar staff and have a cracking athmosphere. Good luck with the search :P

Other (post in thread)
    Playboy wrote: »
    Well I'd suggest somewhere central as I'm sure there are plenty of us from the south who will struggle to get home from Camden and vice versa people from the north who will not appreciate a long commute via night bus from the south.

Maybe I'm getting old but somewhere where there is a possibility of a seat, it takes a sensible amount of time to get a drink, you can hear other people speak without shouting and somewhere that isnt jammed. At the same time it has to have a fantastic selection of drinks, friendly bar staff and have a cracking athmosphere. Good luck with the search :P

you can't have that without being kicked out at 11.30 in central though.

but yeah, preferably central. although if bizrb uses her newly assumed influence, then could even go southside!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Other (post in thread)
    but yeah, preferably central. although if bizrb uses her newly assumed influence, then could even go southside!!!
    To The Swan!

Reekwind wrote: »
    To The Swan!

It's long overdue!

Yeah lets go to The Swan!
    We could have food in Brixton or Clapham before hand, then some drinks there before we head to The Swan, it'll be deadly!

However I remember the last time an outing to The Swan was suggested people were pretty divided about going. Although its 10 minutes from where I live, its a lot further for other people.

If people want to go central, there is a nice pub with seats and the possibility of hearing conversations clearly that would suit old man Playboy, called The Chandos by Trafalgar square but I don't think their beer selection is great and it shuts at 11 (which would be a perfect time to head to The Swan!).
    I can't think of anywhere else, but I'll have a think about it.

We could have food in Brixton or Clapham before hand, then some drinks there before we head to The Swan, it'll be deadly!

However I remember the last time an outing to The Swan was suggested people were pretty divided about going. Although its 10 minutes from where I live, its a lot further for other people.

If people want to go central, there is a nice pub with seats and the possibility of hearing conversations clearly that would suit old man Playboy, called The Chandos by Trafalgar square but I don't think their beer selection is great and it shuts at 11 (which would be a perfect time to head to The Swan!).
    I can't think of anywhere else, but I'll have a think about it.

I'm always up for a outing somewhere south. Franco Manca is in Balham now, fantastic pizzas and very reasonably priced. There is always a queue though! Also Beyrouths is a fantastic Lebanese street food place in Balham where you can bring your own booze.

Was joking about the pub by the way! I'm happy anywhere as long as it doesn't take 30 minutes to get a drink.

If people want to do to the Swan.. I won't say no! Will be a messy night though lol!

I actually agree with the pub requirements!

Reekwind wrote: »
    To The Swan!

Quiet you, you'll jinx it!
    It's long overdue!
    If people want to do to the Swan.. I won't say no! Will be a messy night though lol!

DAMNIT! NOW LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE BEEN AND DONE!

Joking aside, it's fair to say we're overdue on an outing down south. I don't think I'll be able to make it this time if we're talking Clapham area (I'm out of London for most of the day on the 26th now, so adding in the time to get down to and back from Clapham and I'll have no time to actually spend in the pub....).

If you're thinking centrally, there's always Old Reliable aka the Ship & Shovell on Craven Passage - it's handy for transport since it's round the corner from Charing Cross station, it's usually not too busy on a Saturday night, it has a decent selection of beer (skewed towards ales, though they have at least a few nice bottles as well) and there are places on Villiers street for when it shuts around 11:30 - I think we've usually ended up in the Princess of Wales.

Another busier option is the Royal George off Charing Cross Road - they do good food, tend to have decent music, have a good selection of beer, and are handy for places to carry on later into the night (G-A-Y is literally next door and Borderline is round the corner, plus it's 5 minutes walk from Soho). It's worth booking a table in advance if you're going to the George though, it's taken a while to get one when we've been there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Other (post in thread)

Is this the swan beside the. Globe theatre? (I'm a London newbie but I'm aware that there's probably more than 1 pub in London called the swan)!

Other (post in thread)
    Is this the swan beside the. Globe theatre? (I'm a London newbie but I'm aware that there's probably more than 1 pub in London called the swan)!

nah it's in stockwell. it's a really deadly place where all the cool people go.

nah it's in stockwell. it's a really deadly place where all the cool people go.

Now that is quite possibly the meanest bit of misinformation I've ever seen anyone give out around here.

• Advertisement

Other (post in thread)
    Fysh wrote: »
    Now that is quite possibly the meanest bit of misinformation I've ever seen anyone give out around here.

tbh a night out is only as good as the crowd that are out. the venue is second.
    anyway, any further suggestions on where to go??
    time for a vote on central/south??
    if south, how about the railway tavern on the quieter end of clapham high street? across the road (and maybe down a bit) from clapham north tube station.

Advertisement