Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Push Mulcher Lawnmower for €800

• 27-09-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a push lawnmower that'll mulch for around €800?

I've been told Honda are the best brand to get. Anyone any opinions though?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

+1 for Honda I use them commercially

Snapper look good, lighter than Honda, reasonable to use, vibrations are a bit higher though

Another brand to look for is Viking, haven't used them but they are a sister company to Stihl so are good quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

If you are looking for a dedicated mulcher then I'd recommend a Masport Mulcher 600 which has got an alloy deck, single lever height adjuster, ball bearing wheels and quick fold handles. It's 18" wide and push only but it will cover ground quicker than anything else out there and it'll last forever.
    It won't cost you anywhere near 800 euro.
    I think McKennas might carry it.m They used to anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

If you are looking for a dedicated mulcher then I'd recommend a Masport Mulcher 600 which has got an alloy deck, single lever height adjuster, ball bearing wheels and quick fold handles. It's 18" wide and push only but it will cover ground quicker than anything else out there and it'll last forever.
    It won't cost you anywhere near 800 euro.
    I think McKennas might carry it.m They used to anyhow.

Thanks for the tip. I have a large area to cover so I think a mulcher is the way to go. Cutting and collecting will take too long.

Do you have a Massport Mulcher that you use yourself?

Just bear in mind that with mulching you really need to do it very regularly i.e every 5 days and mulching in the wet ain't great.

Mulchers are best suited to places with dry wiry grass like america.....

Lemlin wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. I have a large area to cover so I think a mulcher is the way to go. Cutting and collecting will take too long.

Do you have a Massport Mulcher that you use yourself?

We had and also had experience of the collector version of the same mower. They put up with some awful abuse without anything breaking on them.

• Advertisement

Hondas are about the best collector/mulcher you can buy.

If you get a good collecting mower with a largeish bag then you can cut just as quickly a mulcher

and what do you do when you don't have cattle nearby to eat the clippings?
    That grass has to go somewhere.

No Cattle here, I do as I have always done, just have an area in the garden where I dump the clippings and let them rot down. or you can gradually add them to a compost heap.

Every customer of mine has somewhere for me to dump the clippings.

That's all anyone ever used to do before mulchers.

Or bag them up and take them to a green waste site.

Or burn them....

and what do you do when you don't have cattle nearby to eat the clippings?
    That grass has to go somewhere.

I live on a farm so have large areas that the grass can go.

I can't find anywhere in ROI seems to stock that Massport and I can't see UK sellers shipping one to here.

John McKenna Lawnmowers & Spare Parts Distributors

31 Blackwater Road
    Dublin Industrial Estate
    Glasnevin
    Dublin 11
    Phone: +353-1-8309379
    Fax: +353-1-8309690
    Email: info@johnmckenna.eu
    Web: www.johnmckenna.eu

• Advertisement

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Hondas are about the best collector/mulcher you can buy.

If you get a good collecting mower with a largeish bag then you can cut just as quickly a mulcher

Any particular model you'd suggest?

Lemlin wrote: »
    I live on a farm so have large areas that the grass can go.

I can't find anywhere in ROI seems to stock that Massport and I can't see UK sellers shipping one to here.

Lemlin, if you do want a masport from the UK a quick search showed up a firm that will deliver, albeit at a slightly hefty price.

Abbey garden sales do Masport and delivery is £200.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Lemlin, if you do want a masport from the UK a quick search showed up a firm that will deliver, albeit at a slightly hefty price.

Abbey garden sales do Masport and delivery is £200.

Thanks for the info but with the price and that delivery charge I'd be as well off just buy a Honda from a local dealer. At least I have backup if anything happened it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/garden/reviews/lawnmowers/al-ko-520br-premium/review/

http://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/

I bought this mower from the above uk seller 474 sterling delivered . I could not find an irish stockist or dealer who would get it for me.
    Delivery part was 32.50 sterling
    190 cc briggs engine self propelled. rear/side mulcher ..rear collector .
    I assembled myself easy enough. Removed spark plug added a few cc of juice to head and fired up .

Only using since may . 70 ltr collection box .It can block when cutting longer grass (4'') other than that it is an excellent machine .
    I have only used the mulching on overgrown area of weeds but it blew them away with ease .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No connection to them, but there's a crowd up here in the NW of NI who sell good quality strimmers, mowers etc.

Here are couple of their links to mulching mowers.
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/husqvarna-r53sv-lawnmower/1033844292

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/husqvarna-r52s-lawnmower/1033844149

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Happened to be in a John Deere dealership yesterday and spotted this model;

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_INT/products/equipment/walk_behind_mowers/standard_series/standard/jm36/jm36.page

They were selling it for around the €700 mark. It seemed to be decent though I've no idea what John deere are like quality wise.

Advertisement