Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can I buy two pieces of wood cut to measure?

Options
  • 27-09-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

I can buy wood in woodies (funny enough lol) but it is way bigger than I need. Plus I've nothing to cut it with.

I'm looking for:
    - piece of flat wood (bit like mdf) approx 30cm x 60cm
    - a piece of wood which I think is commonly known as 4by4?? A length of 60cm of a block of wood 10cm x 10cm.

Anyone know anywhere in D15 that could cater for me??

What is supermikes? Would they do it there??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

amdublin wrote: »
    I can buy wood in woodies (funny enough lol) but it is way bigger than I need. Plus I've nothing to cut it with.

I'm looking for:
    - piece of flat wood (bit like mdf) approx 30cm x 60cm
    - a piece of wood which I think is commonly known as 4by4?? A length of 60cm of a block of wood 10cm x 10cm.

Anyone know anywhere in D15 that could cater for me??

What is supermikes? Would they do it there??

Go to goodwins. Open Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hoping to get it in the morning...working on little diy project ;-)

dodzy wrote: »
    Go to goodwins. Open Saturday.

Oh thank you. Where is goodwins? !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Thanks stevek!

And they'll actually cut the wood to size for me??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

If its for outdoor use then you don't want mdf as it will turn to mush when it gets wet. You'll need wbp ply instead. And does it have to be 4x4? Would 4x3 do?

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    If its for outdoor use then you don't want mdf as it will turn to mush when it gets wet. You'll need wbp ply instead. And does it have to be 4x4? Would 4x3 do?

Thanks Stephen

Its for indoor use so mdf should be fine. Yep 4x3 would prob do - is it more common??

How thick do you need the mdf? I have 12mm thick mdf here and can cut to size for ya?
    And i have 4x3 (100mm x 75mm) if that will do instead of 4x4? It's treated and rough though so it's a slightly greeney brown colour. Sanding and a varnish or paint will have it looking ok.

I can cut them both to size and you can have them for nothing? Goodwins will charge about €25 for the materials and you only need small bits of each.

Let me know if you want them.

Oh my gosh you're very good!

Thank you for the offer :)

I think the 4x3 might be too rough though (even if sanded etc). Going to be spray painting it black and want it real sleek looking.

Thank you again for the offer. I love boards :)

No problem. I can do the mdf for you then and you get the timber yourself? It will save you about €20! Let me know.

What you want then is PAO timber (it's planed so very smooth) http://www.goodwins.ie/c-49-planed-machined-square-edge.aspx
    The closest I see there is 3x3. Or you ou could buy one length of 4x2 and cut 2 lengths at the length you need and screw them together. (Might look ok depending on what youre using it for!) Goodwins will cut this for you.
    Supermikes might have PAO 4x4 or 4x3 but he tends to be expensive, but will cut timber for you(I don't know if they will cut sheet goods (mdf) though )
    I think B&Q cut any timber or sheet goods to size but you will pay a good bit for it!

• Advertisement

Heck amdublin don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

I reckon the rough wood will be okay with a sandpaper. I shall be displaying some liquer bottles on top and in front of it :D I am diying a home bar :)

So if you could help I'd be very appreciative!

I'd need:
    1. Piece of mdf size 67cm x 35cm+2mm (35.2??)
    2. Piece of 3x4 - length 67cm

Would you mind if picked it up from you in the morning?? I'll pm you

Thank you again :)

Finished item!

Starting point.

Wood from 5t3ph3n :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Looks great Amdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

amdublin wrote: »
    Finished item!

Looks great! Fair play to that Boardsie for cutting the wood and saving you a packet.

Did you change the knobs?

Looks great! Fair play to that Boardsie for cutting the wood and saving you a packet.

Did you change the knobs?

Yes I did! To little green crystal ones that I took from another cabinet that I was getting rid of.

Reduce reuse recycle! And upcycle as I did with this :) I'm really happy with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 taniajd

amdublin,
    This is hilarious. I came across this chat after searching on google for getting wood cut to measure. I clicked on your image and see you have the same drinks cabinet as me! Looks great!

I wanted to give you a tip if you still have it - I bought a pack of 4x square mirrors in Woodies and put one under the glasses (it slides in perfectly) and removed the back of cabinet and attached another there with glue and placed the backing on again. I think it would look great on yours too! I've done the same in the cupboard section where I store glass bottles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

taniajd wrote: »
    amdublin,
    This is hilarious. I came across this chat after searching on google for getting wood cut to measure. I clicked on your image and see you have the same drinks cabinet as me! Looks great!

I wanted to give you a tip if you still have it - I bought a pack of 4x square mirrors in Woodies and put one under the glasses (it slides in perfectly) and removed the back of cabinet and attached another there with glue and placed the backing on again. I think it would look great on yours too! I've done the same in the cupboard section where I store glass bottles too.

This is hilarious :D the original topic is more than 3 and ahalf years old!

Ha ha ha ha such a crazy coincidence. To think that you have the same cabinet but that we both remodelled it so substantially!!! Like I know people who have it but did nothing with the original piece.

Well done! Yours looks great. I really like the mirror idea. I don't actually have it any more...I left it an old house with a friend I shared with. It would look very good against the black I think though.

Originally I wanted to build it right up with a mirror at the back of where I have the bottles. Turn it into a real home bar.

I think we did great job for a €25 (iirc) piece of flat pack!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bigmambo

Hey - great job on the upcycle. I wouldn't mind a mini bar. Where did ye get the piece in the first place ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement