Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been in Canada 3 months now info inside

Options
  • 27-09-2013 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    So thought i would just let you all know how it is over here and how it is starting out. So been here 3 months and it feels alot longer because of everything thats happened. Im in Toronto by the way.
    Basically i would say that its not as easy as its been made out to be and i would make sure you have enough funds to keep you going, pay a deposit and first months rent (in the region of 12-1400dollars upfront for somewhere decent) and live basically. Because the turn around for job applications is quite long and the lower end jobs arent as easy to come by as you think.
    Firstly if you want to work in a bar to tide you over i would advise doing your Smart Serve test immediately or immediately when you arive as you WILL NOT get hired without this. Bar work again is hard to pick up and in Canada a bar tender doesnt do everything like in ireland where we clean,serve drinks,serve food etc, in Canada you just bar tend you just serve drinks nothing else.
    Secondly get into the job agencies asap (OfficeTeam ask for laura grassia,Quantam-Amanda Chan,TDS Personnnell) when you arrive and keep hounding them ever week about work. If you dont have a degree they will try and put you onto temp assignments all the time but if you have lots of experience express that you dont mind doing the temp work, as it gives you good canadian experience, but that you want solid work. Now agencies will take a lump of your paycheque as such, in that you would get paid more if your hired directly. In saying that its a great way to get a foot in the door.
    Another thing would be to go to the companies your interested in working for and hound them find out who recruits for them and hound that person. In Candada they love people to be pro active and forward which i know isnt in our nature as irish people. Also change your CV or as you will begin to call it your "resume" to canadaian language such as High School etc and take your dat of birth off that cv as its illegal to ask a persons age here in an interview process.
    So thats all the infot i can think of for now. My Canadian experience has been disaster after disaster im still not in a permanent job, have been on the verge of going home numerous times due to financial issues and had all sorts of bad luck such as flooded apartment to contend with. So if this information gets people more prepared than i was then i hope i can help!!PM me if you need more information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

Oh and Julia at The Bagg Group is a great contact she is sometimes posting on the Irish and New in Toronto facebook page about work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Hey flynnser, thanks for the info.

Just wondering what kind of visa you required to go over looking for bar work etc?

I have a computer science degree and was going to go over looking for work as a programmer but was led to believe that the visa was very strict and that I wouldn't be approved without a few years of experience.

Any info appreciated! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Hey flynnser, thanks for the info.

Just wondering what kind of visa you required to go over looking for bar work etc?

I have a computer science degree and was going to go over looking for work as a programmer but was led to believe that the visa was very strict and that I wouldn't be approved without a few years of experience.

Any info appreciated! Cheers.

It sounds like you have been misinformed....Go read any thread in this forum with IEC in the title.

Flynnser...I feel for you man. I was the same....didnt start work til 3 and a half months after i arrived. Another thing is that canadian companies are slow to hire...interview, then maybe a second interview 2 weeks later, then a decision a week after that, then a month of redtape before you can actually start.

Toronto is a great city but it is expensive, and sitting around for 3 months basically surviving is not easy. It was tough for me and im 2 hours down the road at half the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

retalivity wrote: »
    It sounds like you have been misinformed....Go read any thread in this forum with IEC in the title.

Flynnser...I feel for you man. I was the same....didnt start work til 3 and a half months after i arrived. Another thing is that canadian companies are slow to hire...interview, then maybe a second interview 2 weeks later, then a decision a week after that, then a month of redtape before you can actually start.

Toronto is a great city but it is expensive, and sitting around for 3 months basically surviving is not easy. It was tough for me and im 2 hours down the road at half the price!

I think Canada as a whole is a very overrated place to be. Im in Vancouver over 3 months and the money is worse than at home and it's insanely expensive. Only worth it for people working in a trade. It's all well and good having loads to do over here, but when it's 100s of dollars to go to hockey games, go snowboarding, mountain biking, fly internally etc. etc. it just now worth it as a permanent home. Having said that, I'm very glad to have experienced the place and will definitely see the year out anyway! Summer in Vancouver this year was brilliant.

I've heard from a lot of people that Toronto is just full of temps and internships. Grass is definitely not always greener lads! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

flynnser19 wrote: »
    Firstly if you want to work in a bar to tide you over i would advise doing your Smart Serve test immediately or immediately when you arive as you WILL NOT get hired without this. Bar work again is hard to pick up and in Canada a bar tender doesnt do everything like in ireland where we clean,serve drinks,serve food etc, in Canada you just bar tend you just serve drinks nothing else.

My experience is completely different, here bartenders do more, mainly cash duties and stock control, stuff a manager would do at home.
    Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I think Canada as a whole is a very overrated place to be. Im in Vancouver over 3 months and the money is worse than at home and it's insanely expensive. Only worth it for people working in a trade. It's all well and good having loads to do over here, but when it's 100s of dollars to go to hockey games, go snowboarding, mountain biking, fly internally etc. etc. it just now worth it as a permanent home. Having said that, I'm very glad to have experienced the place and will definitely see the year out anyway! Summer in Vancouver this year was brilliant.

I've heard from a lot of people that Toronto is just full of temps and internships. Grass is definitely not always greener lads! ;)

Again, I've found the opposite, while expensive to live, I earn alot more then I would at home and have alot more disposable income. I can afford to save and do not have to live week to week.

Flights, NHL games and snow sports are pricey, but even within Calgary's parks theres trails/hikes that are great for runs, hockey rinks maintained in the winter to play on, well maintained volleyball/football/baseball/basketball/tennis facilities in every area that are safe and free to use. Theres even outdoor pools open in the summer that cost nothing for an hour to use. Theres lakes you can Kayak on for $20 for the whole day. If you have a car its even better being just an hour from the mountains and everything you can do there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I have my IEC visa and was planing on heading over in March 2014 but seriously thining against it now! I see alot of people on here struggling to get work when they go over and wonder if its worth it. Have done ALOT of research and the cons outweigh the pros with canada. Was planning on going to toronto purely for a change of lifestyle but recently secured a job in London for €50k so being realistic heading to Canada would be a step backwards for me. Each to their own i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

What really gets me about the Irish going to Canada is ..everyone is going to places where there is little or no work..

All I keep hearing is people going to Toronto and BC etc etc.

The only place in Canada right now that has a huge labour shortage is Alberta and Saskatchewan.

This is where the Irish need to be to get jobs, good jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

zweton wrote: »
    I have my IEC visa and was planing on heading over in March 2014 but seriously thining against it now! I see alot of people on here struggling to get work when they go over and wonder if its worth it. Have done ALOT of research and the cons outweigh the pros with canada. Was planning on going to toronto purely for a change of lifestyle but recently secured a job in London for €50k so being realistic heading to Canada would be a step backwards for me. Each to their own i suppose.

Canada is a big place and from what I understand the likes of Toronto and Vancouver don't offer the same opportunities as Calgary does. Anyone who has some solid experience in an industry such as construction, hospitality, engineering etc. and wants to get their head down will do well here.

tbh im not in a big place and im working away, but there really is bugger all to do. so i gues you have to trade it off...live in toronto/van/big city and have a much better time or try and earn a bit of money and be bored half the time. was out last sunday for the all ireland final with about 15-20 people and thats about it until i leave. a couple of those people i was out with i hadnt seen in a year.

Im moving back to Ireland at the end of oct after 2 and a half years here cos although the money is decent, its not somewhere i want to settle down.
    Was planning on going to toronto purely for a change of lifestyle but recently secured a job in London for €50k so being realistic heading to Canada would be a step backwards for me.

I'm on good money here (enough to comfortably support 2 of us), but with the current exchange rate i'm still earning a few thousand under that.
    even with the cost of living in proper london, you'd be mad to give that up to come here and struggle for a few months

My thinking exactly.

• Advertisement

Also, anyone working in I.T should really think about staying in ireland its doing really well atm and pay is generally better than canada.

ah yes...i thought you were in IT but i wasnt sure.

yeah its what i'm doing, and i've spent the last week looking for work in Ireland....there's loads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Maybe for experienced applicants, but I just graduated in July with a class of 50 or 60 or whatever, and so far there have only been a handfull that have managed to secure work since graduating. I suited up and went to a jobs fair last weekend and have an interview through that on Tuesday, but everyone I know is finding it really hard to even get a response from places.

I even got rejected for an unpaid internship like... Come on I mean I was offering to work for free! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

Also, anyone working in I.T should really think about staying in ireland its doing really well atm and pay is generally better than canada.

This has been my experience as well (software developer, 9 years experience)

I've been in Toronto almost 4 months now, working for 3 and the cash is nowhere near as good as it was back home. Couple this with the fact that you'll receive a lot less vacation time and you might find your quality of life diminished.

In terms of looking for work, there seems to be plenty of IT work for the experienced here in Toronto - there's really no need to head out to the prairie if you're a programmer. I went through the first stages of a recruitment process back in Dublin before coming here, so there's no harm in putting your name out there before you leave to possibly speed things along.

I don't think Canada is overrated - the grass was just never going to be greener. It's not better or worse than Ireland, it's just different. Some things are better (TO is clean and safe, not skangery, food from anywhere in the world, world-class concerts and sports events) and in some ways worse (it's fairly characterless, even the locals say it's not much fun). At the end of 2 years all of us are going to make a call or whether to go home or not and both choices are perfectly understandable. I can already tell that once my time is up here I'll be quite happy to go home - this will have been a great experience but I can't see myself spending the rest of my life here.

So to anyone coming here I'd say: dampen down any expectations you have of Canada solving all your problems. Coming here will be more difficult than you think and will cost you more than you think. But whatever happens will stand to you later.

RANDOM TO NOTES:

- I always thought the DART was the most unreliable public transport I'd ever seen... until I started taking the TTC every morning.
    - Chicken costs it's weight in gold.
    - On a hot day, the Toronto Islands are wonderful... but go to Ward's Island. Center Island is way too busy.
    - Hockey tickets are crazy expensive - even the nosebleeds. But nosebleed baseball tickets are a steal for an evening's entertainment.
    - The booze shops close early on a Sunday and don't open at all or bank holidays. They also stock a lot of local craft beers and push appreciation rather than cheap consumption, which is nice to see.
    - A burger with bacon, chili beef and BBQ pulled pork on top. This exists and tastes as good as it sounds.

^To continue OT, Its not just chicken...i find all meat quite expensive from the big supermarkets.
    Lamb is ridiculously expensive, i havent had it in 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Anyone looking for hospitality or trade jobs, I can help you secure something in Alberta. Declan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Maybe for experienced applicants, but I just graduated in July with a class of 50 or 60 or whatever, and so far there have only been a handfull that have managed to secure work since graduating. I suited up and went to a jobs fair last weekend and have an interview through that on Tuesday, but everyone I know is finding it really hard to even get a response from places.

I even got rejected for an unpaid internship like... Come on I mean I was offering to work for free! ;)

That's me too.

I really appreciate the OP's info and others and it is very helpful. :)

It's easy for everyone to read the lines on these pages and assume we are at the same point in life, we are not, therefore different circumstances apply and ultimately we each need to make our own decisions. A few of us are not looking for 50k jobs fresh out of college and have different needs.

Age/life point/experience puts us in different groups, with different opportunities but also desires too. I have no prospects here, the vast majority of my college classmates have struggled to get work too. Most of them come from the wealthiest locations in the country and when I ask them 'have you had any luck finding work' they tell me 'no it's really hard but I'm working in my mom/dad's company until I do'. My family does not own companies and I realize that my future is what I make of it.

Economically, with almost 100 years of independence, only fifteen years of very strong economic growth lifted the prospects of the country. The decisions made in 2008 made the then government the laughing stock of economic institutions the world over, warning governments not to 'gamble the nations finances away in the early hours of the morning'. I'm sick and tired of life here and I'm ready to go. I've already had experience abroad, I've lived in Italy and did an internship in Germany (both native languages). Canada I regard as a stable economy and so, with all factors considered, I'll be going to Canada.

Regarding Toronto, economically, it is still leading the nation's growth (sorry Calgary) as it lies strategically in the middle between the capital, Ottawa and another major center of business; Montreal. The Economist ranks Toronto as one of the top 10 biggest growth cities in the world of the next 10 years. I didn't see Calgary on that list.

The negative and the positive stories are useful. The negative ones usher me to save harder and the positive ones remind me not to over-worry. But I think it's imperative to remember we are not all in the same situations so there is no 'one size fits all'. Living abroad is supposed to erode that line of thought.

good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The first thing I would recommend absolutely everyone does when they get to Canada is apply for work at Tim Hortons. They've got a massive staff turnover and you should have no problem getting a job. Work is crap, wages are crap but they're better than sitting around for a couple of months waiting for a "proper" job

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

Age/life point/experience puts us in different groups, with different opportunities but also desires too.

(TO, Software industry, experienced)

This is a great point - perhaps when posting experiences of Canada we could put of brief summary of our situation at the top? I might make if easy for people to find the information that's most relevant to them more easily.

And on that note, here's a note on IT in TO:

You might have heard that when it comes to job, you'll have to sell yourself harder than you would have in Ireland. I've found this to be quite true. It's not enough to be able to do your job or say how much you like it, you have to be SEEN to like it - and this means folks are always doing some self-promotion. Don't be surprised if you're asked in interviews what figures you follow on twitter or what blogs you read regularly on what you're working on at home. I've been asked questions like this a few times in Dublin too but it seems to weigh more heavily here - if even you don't really do it, have an answer ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

I arrived in Montreal in May and had a job within 2 weeks. The pay is about 30% increase from my irish job (QA engineer in IT) and the cost of living is less here. We have a 2 bedroomed apartment 5km from downtown for 750 dollars per month.

People here go on about VanC, Calgary and TO all the time but I don't know why Montreal is not considered? Is it the french thing? hasn't been a problem for me

No French before arriving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

More or less, I got a D in the Leaving cert and that was in 1998

that said you will get more out of the city if you do make an effort with the language. I am taking classes and I am improving. But you can get by very easily here without it. I have been to toronto a few times and imo opinion Montreal is light years ahead of it in pretty much every way

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Anyone looking for hospitality or trade jobs, I can help you secure something in Alberta. Declan

Hi There Declan

Im thinking of going to Alberta in 2014 If I an get a visa.Im a mechanic with about 5 years post experience but interested in career change.

Would my mechanical background help me to get a job in the oil & gas industry there? Willing to start at the bottom obviously,Im aware it wouldn't be an easy job out in the cold but I've read there are starter positions,any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

After reading through all the posts, I said would post a reply. I am here 2 months now. I dreamt about going to Canada to work/live for years and years, even though I had a full time permament job in a multinational company. I left my job and came over here in August on the WHV, and I have to say it is a beautiful country, so diverse, so big, and veery expensive. I am a glass half full type of person, and have always been lucky with jobs. Things always seem to work out for me, maybe because i just think they will and Im not a huge worrier.
    myself and my bf travelled for about 5 weeks, saw some beautiful places and really enjoyed it, but that was because we came over here with some savings. It didnt take long for us to go through our money, even when we were being careful (not buying coffees, not eating out, cooking in the hostels).
    I have to agree with some posts, that it can be over rated. Yes there is lots to do IF YOU HAVE LOTS AND LOTS OF CASH! and if your not ON A BUDGET.
    We both started jobs just to try and save up a bit to continue our travels in a few months but the wages here are so much worse than at home.
    I has been an incredible learning experience for us, and there are some tough days when you think of Ireland, and start appreciating what you once took for granted. The grass is not always greener, but then again, i would have always regretted it if I hadnt come here, i am enjoying it and meeting so many people, and it is a great experience, but its not going to suit everyone.
    Its not all fantastic, and action packed and fun-filled, you still have to get up for work and all that, So i just want to say to people at home, im happy i came here and i am going to make the most of this experience and see as many beautiful places as i can, but please appreciate what you have at home before you come here (i know some people are unemployed and its tough at home too so this wont apply to everyone) but in my opinion if you are coming here to make money you will have to go to Calgary/Alberta/Saskatoon. If you are coming to BC, or toronto, be prepared for setbacks, high cost of living, and job hunting.
    I think i may have blabbed on a bit but just wanted to share a few thoughts!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

Son wrote: »
    Hi There Declan

Im thinking of going to Alberta in 2014 If I an get a visa.Im a mechanic with about 5 years post experience but interested in career change.

Would my mechanical background help me to get a job in the oil & gas industry there? Willing to start at the bottom obviously,Im aware it wouldn't be an easy job out in the cold but I've read there are starter positions,any advice?

Hey Son. My advice would be to not do it. These oil sands etc jobs are not a way to live. I know quite a few people who have done it for a couple of months and just couldn't hack it. Imagine 12 hour days, 2 wks on/1 wk off or worse 3 wks on/1 wk off. A week might sound like a long time but everyone has told me they spent the first two days sleeping and the rest of the week dreading going back. And it's not cold, it's freezing. On top of all this, you will more then likely be living in a camp in the middle of nowhere or paying huge rent in a place like Fort MacMurray. Camps are not nice places. There not not clean etc but imagine being in a place with several hundred or thousand men bored out of their mind. Drugs are big problems in these places but the oil companies do do drug tests.

Up to you but it may sound good on paper but in reality it's something else. Just my two cents. G'luck

^QFT

I remember reading a news article last year that Fort MacMurray had the 2nd highest rents in all of Canada, ahead of anywhere in Toronto and only behind some mad rich area in Van. 2nd highest in Canada and it is supposed to be an absolute kip.

Google street view wont even go there!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Hi everyone,

I agree with a lot of what was said in this post, so I thought I'd share my 2 cents too....

For starters my story is a little different, I'm an Accountant and I've moved to Niagara Falls and got a job in St Catharines. I moved here because my bf is from here, he was working in Ireland and chose to move back and I chose to come with him. We both had jobs in Ireland before we left.

I've been here just over 4 months. I've met very few Irish since I've arrived it's been mostly Canadians. I would agree with Canada being over rated. I'm not entirely sure what my expectations were coming here but I have definitely been disappointed by most things.

The impression I was given before I left was that it would be somewhat easy to get a job and it would certainly be at a better wage than I had back home. That did not ring true, I earn approximitely the same as I did at home and it did take a while to get a job.

But the tax is higher here, so far approx 40% of my wages is gone straight away, because there's federal tax, provincial tax, CPP (Canada Pension Plan), EI (Employment Insurance). In Ireland my average was about 30%.

I agree with Cream Bun you pay for everything here. There are a lot of outdoor areas, parks, trails by the lakes, etc that are open to the public and are free. But if you need to buy anything for that it's expensive, clothes and shoes are very expensive. We're lucky that we're close to the US and can go there to get stuff because to get it here is more expensive than Ireland.

To do anything else is very expensive. I am a runner. I was going to sign up to do a 10k when I got here, but I didn't when I found out it was $55, and not one cent of it goes to charity. I've signed up for a half marathon at the end of the month, it was $100 and the same thing not for charity. To have a road race here the organisers have to pay the police to close the roads so most of the money goes to that, plus you get a tshirt & medal. I've never paid more than E25 for a race at home and the money always goes to charity, all items like tshirts, etc are donated by a sponsor. I've signed up for the half as I want to keep my momentum up & I'm going to make my own donation to charity.

I was trying to find a yoga class. The cheapest I could find was $99 for 6 weeks, ie 6 classes for $99 (+tax!). I used to pay E5 at home to pay as you go class. Same thing with cross fit, I wanted to try that cheapest I could find was $288 a month, I didn't do this at home but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that. Cheapest gym I could find was $60 a month but with a year contract. Same with a sewing class $190 (+tax) for a 4 week course... plus materials!

Insurance and mobile phones are two more things that are ridiculous. Insurance for my car is $1,200 a year, after they've given me credit for my 10 years experience. (I did do my driving test here, it's pretty easy if you're going to do it get lessons first. I did 4 hours of lessons and passed no problem). Mobile phone charges are ridiculous, they still charge you to receive calls here. It's the same price as making a call, so if I get 400 min with my plan, if someone rings me for 20 that will eat up as many minutes as if I called them for 20. There are some cheaper networks coming in, but the coverage hasn't got out this far yet. The other problem is to get the good rates they want you to sign up for a 2 or even 3 year contract!

Oh and internet subscriptions, the same thing. Have to sign up for years and it's expensive, especially if you live out of a main city, you've to pay to get it to you (they had to erect a mast on top of our house, $750 for the priviledge!!).

Banking here is expensive too. Most banks charge you to lodge and withdraw money, then charge you extra if you use a bank machine from a bank other than your home bank. I'm with PC so I have free banking but the online banking is so basic it's like something from the 90's. Cheques are still the norm here, I can transfer money in the province online but there's no international transfer options. It's not very secure either to get on to it I just put in my bank card number (I know!!) and a password.

Food shopping is another one that is more expensive for sure, especially as has been mentioned about meat. Meat quality too is a big issue, we don't realise how spoilt we are in Ireland our meat is such good quality. I didn't realise meat could be such bad quality until I lived here (don't even start me on the US, US chicken you can practically taste the hormones!!). Eating out and drinking are very expensive too, especially as it's common practice to tip, even for getting a bottle of beer at the bar. There's not the same atmosphere at all either.

Hairdressing is approx twice the price of home in my experience and a 15% tip is expected 20% if you think the service is good!

So overall although I earn approx the same I feel I have a lot less left to myself at the end of the month, in fact very little. I definitely don't feel better off for being here.

Petrol is cheaper and to buy a car is cheaper, watch out though tax of 13% is added to the price you see listed at a dealership!

The biggest thing I miss from Ireland is the banter and the craic, I know that's an Irish thing so it's to be expected. But I find people here are very serious and take themselves very seriously. People are a lot more forward with their personal lives too. They have no problem telling you about being divorced 3 times and what a jerk their ex is the first time they meet you. Or telling you that you're wrong, I eat pretty healthily and always have, I enjoy exercising too, I've been told more than once that's my 'problem' that's why I'm so 'skinny' or whatever. We had cake in the office and I just said I don't eat cake (which is typically don't as I'm lactose intolerant) and thus sparked a 20 minute conversation to try to get me to eat cake, and why would I do that to myself. (I've been in quite a few conversations where I don't know where to look!).

I find, especially in work situations, that people are quick to tell you that you're wrong, but if you try to point out to them a better way of doing things or different perspective they don't want to hear it. As a result people seem quite stressed all the time. I've been working 2 months and so far I've heard 4 full out raised voice arguements around the office. The most recent of which was a full out 'get out of my face' 'I can't deal with you right now' kind of arguement. I know apologies were made after but I was shocked. Only once in my 8 years of working in a professional environment in Ireland did I witness this.

The one thing I find people relaxed about is drink driving. I abstain completely when I'm driving, as does everyone I know from home. It's different here people will have 1 or 2 because they're driving, sometimes more. I've been at BBQ's where people stop drinking at a certain time as they've to drive later. It seems to be more ah I'll have a beer now I won't be driving for an hour type calculation. Which is fine if that's what you want to do, but if I say I'm not having a drink at all because I'm driving it seems to be a big deal. You get continually questioned on it. At home if you say you're driving then that's it, no questions asked. But here it's like there's constant pressure on you. 'Are you sure you don't want one now?' kinda thing. It doesn't rest all night.

On the working side of things, I've got a job in the public sector. From this point on I vow never again to give out about the Irish public sector, it's the gold standard in comparison to here. (I did work in the public sector for 18 months in Ireland, so I can compare). It took 6 weeks for them to set me up on the system so I could get paid. IT finally added me to the Financial software yesterday, my 9th week, as my forms were lost twice, it took me 5 phone calls to try to sort out, as the shared service centre is in another place, they referred me to the guy that set it up, I rang him to find out he'd retired in Sept, he had set me up with a start date and end date of the same day. Back to the service centre, to go back to someone else, to go to someone else, 'as that's not my area'. But no one bats an eyelid, that seems to be the norm.

Sorry this has been a very long rant, but it's just my opinions so far! Final thing, this area is lovely, lots of wineries, lots to do as there's so many attractions, but again it's all $$. Once you go off the tourist path a lot of this area is very run down, very poor, very dirty there's definitely a huge difference between the have and have nots. I've been shocked by the number of homeless. And I get asked for money daily, they come right up to you here, some even grab your arm. It's really not nice. I do feel really sorry for them but there's so many it's hard to know where to start. I lived off Thomas St in Dublin for many years, it's not intimidating at all, here can be quite a bit.

Anyway that's my rant, sorry again for the length! In summary, glad I came, definitely an experience, it's really opened my eyes, I wouldn't say it'll be for me long term, but I'll really appreciate Ireland when I go back! :)

I would agree with a lot of what is said above.
    I've been here almost 3 years and still have not been to niagara falls, even though its only 2 hours down the road. However, from speaking to people, i hear that the whole area from Hamilton to Niagara (not really St Catherines, but Buffalo too) is very gritty...former industrial towns with lots of decay. Obviously, i'm talking town and city centre & not counting the wineries and things like that.
    I've heard a lot of people say that Niagara Falls is a lot like Vegas (I've never been), with half the glitz and glamour but all of the social ills (Homelessness, degenerate gambling, etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Don't get me wrong the Falls is definitely worth a visit and worth seeing for sure. But Niagara Falls itself is like tacky town, I see it as a Bundoran/Salthill of Canada. It's good for what it is I guess.

There's some really beautiful parts, and Niagara on the Lake is amazing (again $$$ to eat out or have a few drinks, go to a play). But there's a very sad backdrop to it all. It doesn't take much to find it either. It just shocked me, especially coming from Ireland which has been in recession for 5 years now, and having lived beside what is classed as the 'busiest social welfare office' in the country, but I would struggle to think of anywhere in Ireland as run down or as bleak as a lot of places round here.

We should count our blessings I guess. :)

Advertisement