Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been in Canada 3 months now info inside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 aerotuned

zweton wrote: »
    I have my IEC visa and was planing on heading over in March 2014 but seriously thining against it now! I see alot of people on here struggling to get work when they go over and wonder if its worth it. Have done ALOT of research and the cons outweigh the pros with canada. Was planning on going to toronto purely for a change of lifestyle but recently secured a job in London for €50k so being realistic heading to Canada would be a step backwards for me. Each to their own i suppose.

ya I'm leave n a job in England 800 pound 5 days utr , construction carpenter. U will always walk n to a job in london there going to get even busier, go to canada , just so u know u have done it, why I'm going .

• Registered Users Posts: 39 leechris007

reading all these posts im making out if your working with finance,software and most office jobs dont go to Canada.Plus dont go to Toronto or Vancouver for work?I do Air conditioning and Refrigeration ,any recommendations for me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

willabur wrote: »
    I arrived in Montreal in May and had a job within 2 weeks. The pay is about 30% increase from my irish job (QA engineer in IT) and the cost of living is less here. We have a 2 bedroomed apartment 5km from downtown for 750 dollars per month.

People here go on about VanC, Calgary and TO all the time but I don't know why Montreal is not considered? Is it the french thing? hasn't been a problem for me

Are you saying speaking french hasn't been a problem for you, or that a lack of french hasn't been a problem. Its not quite clear from your post and I have dismissed Quebec in general as most of the jobs I researched required French.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

reading all these posts im making out if your working with finance,software and most office jobs dont go to Canada.

I think that's the impression the thread gives, but I think it might be going a bit too far. I reckon the key is to treat the IEC like I believe it was intended - a cultural exchange programme which also happens to allow you to work. It's not a gateway to a new life or the beginning of a story which ends in making a fortune. I think if you come over with the mindset of "I'll make less money but I'll meet some different people and see some interesting stuff" you'll be happiest. I think the Irish mindset of "Ireland is a dump! Run away and never come back, you'll be better off! And if you DO come back, you must be a failure!" put too much pressure on the whole experience.

I think that's the impression the thread gives, but I think it might be going a bit too far. I reckon the key is to treat the IEC like I believe it was intended - a cultural exchange programme which also happens to allow you to work. It's not a gateway to a new life or the beginning of a story which ends in making a fortune. I think if you come over with the mindset of "I'll make less money but I'll meet some different people and see some interesting stuff" you'll be happiest. I think the Irish mindset of "Ireland is a dump! Run away and never come back, you'll be better off! And if you DO come back, you must be a failure!" put too much pressure on the whole experience.

Lol love this reply, all most people will pick up on is ireland is a dump with no pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

im only back from australia few months and currently doing mycic, if anyone has been to oz which now hard enough to get jobs on a working holiday visa and really expensive how would compare it to being in canada, wages wise, living wise and getting job wise thanks.

Thanks for giving your insight, was starting to get a bit down about the prospect of going over after reading some of the stuff on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

im only back from australia few months and currently doing mycic, if anyone has been to oz which now hard enough to get jobs on a working holiday visa and really expensive how would compare it to being in canada, wages wise, living wise and getting job wise thanks.

I was in oz about 3 years ago so il try my best here.

Jobs: it was about the same to find a job here as it was in oz. Ive got a trade thats prob why i found it easier compared to people with degrees. If uve got a trade you should pick up job easy enough, but if you have a degree be prepared to work and network to get the job you want.

General costs: i find that about same. Food and drink is mainly the same here as it is in Perth to be honest. If you shop about for food in different stores you can keep the costs down. For beer and stuff most the local stuff is cheaper and nicer than your imports. Clothes, electronics etc are really expensive. Cheaper to go to the states to buy some things. (Never spent most on these two in oz so cant compare that)

Wages: as i said above i have a trade. My starting wage in oz was $30 an hour. Which worked out at 1500 a week. Which is well than enough to get by week by week.
    In canada is was less than this. When i started off it was oly $15 an hour which was ok in terms of looking after what i was spending etc. Im on alot more now and its alot easier and have more cash to spend on certian things etc.

Rent: This is the biggest killer in Vancouver. Rent here is stupid prices. If you can find a good house share it will be abit cheaper than a 2br condo r something.

Thats all i can think of for now. If u want to know anything let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Jaysus we must be the most homesick people in the world.

or is it just this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Rent: This is the biggest killer in Vancouver. Rent here is stupid prices. If you can find a good house share it will be abit cheaper than a 2br condo r something.

In London, and when I lived in Greystones, our wages to rent was about a third. Here its a fifth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Solasdeas

I am really glad this thread is here, it'll give people coming over a more realistic view on life in Canada. We are currently living in Regina, Sk, one of the most boring and ugly cities I have ever lived in. I have been dealing with ok but the last 2 weeks have been tough, never felt so homesick!

My boyfriend is looking for a transfer with work to Halifax. We are going to give it a few months but if we don't like it we are going to move back to Europe. Finding it really hard to make friends here. We have been lucky work wise but I don't feel it's worth it when you have nothing to do on the weekends and the winters are truly horrendous and last up to six months. Going out in minus 40 is not doable and we had a good few weeks of this cold weather this year.

Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Banff and Halifax are beautiful, I'd avoid the prairies at all costs. That is just my opinion. Hopefully we'll get out of Regina soon, fingers crossed! :)

Going to Regina in 3 weeks time,I have a job sorted ,now im starting to hear about all the complains about the place.Going alot so it will be hard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Going to Regina in 3 weeks time,I have a job sorted ,now im starting to hear about all the complains about the place.Going alot so it will be hard :(

Good timing I guess. You've just missed out on a savage winter. :)

Anyway, good luck.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Solasdeas

If you like GAA you could join clubs here, Facebook pages such as Irish in Regina have info on this. Try looking up kijiji for accommodation here. I hope you settle in well, this us just my opinion of Regina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

flynnser19 wrote: »
    and take your dat of birth off that cv as its illegal to ask a persons age here in an interview process.

That actually applies in Ireland too. You shouldn't ever put your DOB or marital status etc on your CV in either country.

Grounds for discrimination in Ireland under the equal status act are : Gender, Civil Status, Family Status, Age, Race, Religion, Disability, Sexual Orientation, Membership of the Traveller community

I remember working in one particular place where I had to return CVs and redact DOB and even marital status references from continental applicants.

thanks.I ment to say going alone then going alot .Wouldnt be a fan of GAA ,major fan of soccer but id say they have more interest in other sports.

Solasdeas wrote: »
    I am really glad this thread is here, it'll give people coming over a more realistic view on life in Canada. We are currently living in Regina, Sk, one of the most boring and ugly cities I have ever lived in. I have been dealing with ok but the last 2 weeks have been tough, never felt so homesick!

My boyfriend is looking for a transfer with work to Halifax. We are going to give it a few months but if we don't like it we are going to move back to Europe. Finding it really hard to make friends here. We have been lucky work wise but I don't feel it's worth it when you have nothing to do on the weekends and the winters are truly horrendous and last up to six months. Going out in minus 40 is not doable and we had a good few weeks of this cold weather this year.

Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Banff and Halifax are beautiful, I'd avoid the prairies at all costs. That is just my opinion. Hopefully we'll get out of Regina soon, fingers crossed! :)

Try fort mcmurray it's the same

To any 1 comein over in the trades , if your fas certified and have your papers make sure u bring them and transfer them to the canidan standard it's way easier get a good job , get in to a union

• Registered Users Posts: 42 inishowenguy1

aerotuned wrote: »
    To any 1 comein over in the trades , if your fas certified and have your papers make sure u bring them and transfer them to the canidan standard it's way easier get a good job , get in to a union

are you over ther workin in a trade yourself , im just finishing up my level 3 site carpentry (I went into the north instead of doin fas ) now on the verge of having my papers , so hard to get experience here because of the down turn . hoping to get them now and head for Canada , just nervous due to the lack of experience but ill not get it here like ,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

How are people finding life in Toronto? most likely be there for the summer then head further west once the winter rolls in, might be more tolerable. Will have enough money where I dont have to work for a while so can just enjoy the city and that but long as I find a place to rent I'm happy out, anyone go it alone and find others in the same situation?

• Advertisement

are you over ther workin in a trade yourself , im just finishing up my level 3 site carpentry (I went into the north instead of doin fas ) now on the verge of having my papers , so hard to get experience here because of the down turn . hoping to get them now and head for Canada , just nervous due to the lack of experience but ill not get it here like ,

Ya I'm over here now in fort mcmurray just up north 5 hours past edmonton, I've 15 years in carpentry but no papers to show for it, you will be grand if u don't have them u will get a job alright offers are always floating about through word of mouth, it's just the 2 I got offered were for certified carpenters in big company's through lads at football , I will have to sit a red seal carpentry exam same as fas, but the work here is different and the code is not same as ours at home, don't worry about comeing over you'll be grand. Lots of places are looking for 1-3 year experiences , depends on what your after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

krudler wrote: »
    How are people finding life in Toronto? most likely be there for the summer then head further west once the winter rolls in, might be more tolerable. Will have enough money where I dont have to work for a while so can just enjoy the city and that but long as I find a place to rent I'm happy out, anyone go it alone and find others in the same situation?

Toronto is almost unbearably hot and humid in the summer (IMO)..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I lived in Toronto for three and a half years and have to say I LOVED the summers there - the rest of the year, not so much - but felt summer was the time of the year when the city came to life.

Festivals all over the place, the buzz of 'patio season', great night life and lots to do during the day with trips to the island, cherry beach, barbecues etc. It does tend to get hot and sticky on a par with New York, but personally I'm a heat whore so never really bothered me. :)

As for the Canadian experience itself, I haven't read this thread in its entirety but have to say the OP gives a pretty good run-down of how big an adjustment it can be.

Personally it took me three months to secure a good job in my sector, and that would be pretty standard really - for many people it can take longer. I spent most of that time blanket applying to stuff, 'Canadianizing' my 'resume' (this is crucial) and in the end I got a break into my industry by researching the top dogs in the organizations I was targeting and literally sending personal emails introducing myself.

After three months of relative silence it was quite a revelation to have people all of sudden inviting me into their offices for meetings and I got my foot in the door this way - first as holiday cover, then by working my way up the ladder and securing my contract. My boss was a bit of a big cheese too, would be well known and respected in the industry, but as the OP said enthusiasm and proactivity will go a long way with Canadians - for the most part they'll respond positively to it.

Toronto aint cheap so it's definitely advisable to arrive armed with at least enough to keep you going for three months - I had about E10k and got through that in no time at all, once rent/deposit/furnishings/bills/groceries/few token trips and nights out were out of the way.

The main thing is to not expect things to fall into place right away just because you've made this monumental decision to relocate to the other side of the world. The kind of job, accommodation and social life you have in Canada will be directly proportionate to the kind of effort you put in - and it will require long, persistent days of job applications, interviews, researching, banging on doors and putting yourself out there - and then getting your head around the Canadians themselves, who can take some adjusting to.

A wonderful, generous and inherently decent people - but there are noticeable cultural differences, such as sense of humour, approach to work and socializing, relationship with alcohol etc (not quite as acceptable to rock up to work with a mighty head on you and boast about how you woke up in a ditch that morning with no recollection of how you got there :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Roundtd181

I have been in Edmonton, Canada now for 10 months. I can relate to a lot of what was previously said on this thread. The old saying the grass is always greener applies. But all in all it has fallen into place, it is very typical for anyone to take 3 or 4 months to get on their feet. When i arrived i started work after being here 3 weeks which was pretty good and im still in the same job so i am lucky in that sense. But the first 4/5 months we were living from pay cheque to pay cheque before we could enjoy it.

My advice to anyone coming here is do not panic if things dont go right at the start. It takes time and you will eventually get on your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 inishowenguy1

aerotuned wrote: »
    Ya I'm over here now in fort mcmurray just up north 5 hours past edmonton, I've 15 years in carpentry but no papers to show for it, you will be grand if u don't have them u will get a job alright offers are always floating about through word of mouth, it's just the 2 I got offered were for certified carpenters in big company's through lads at football , I will have to sit a red seal carpentry exam same as fas, but the work here is different and the code is not same as ours at home, don't worry about comeing over you'll be grand. Lots of places are looking for 1-3 year experiences , depends on what your after

thanks that put me at ease abit , well I got my POE last night so its make or break now for Calgary

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I was actually back in Ireland for the fathers retirement party a few weeks back.

I think for maybe one day I said "I want to come back to Ireland", at the end it had changed to "I can't wait to get back to Vancouver". Its still a tough town, I get a lot of contract work here (designer) but not settled that I want proper full-time work, so thats the next goal to go with getting my PR.

thanks that put me at ease abit , well I got my POE last night so its make or break now for Calgary

Well best of luck with it man , all will be grand, there's no need to worry just get your self sorted and there's plenty to be done here , it's all what u can make if it once u arrive ,

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

i gave 6 months in Regina and hated every second of it, the bleakest, coldest most backward shi.thole ive ever stepped foot in! you are going at the right time though at least you've missed winter

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Anyone know much about Kelowna? Looks and sounds amazing from the climate to the outdoor lifestyle, exactly what I am after. One thing that worries me is work and the cost of living, is work too difficult to find there? and is it also very expensive? Would love to hear from anyone with any experience living there, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Liam90 wrote: »
    Anyone know much about Kelowna? Looks and sounds amazing from the climate to the outdoor lifestyle, exactly what I am after. One thing that worries me is work and the cost of living, is work too difficult to find there? and is it also very expensive? Would love to hear from anyone with any experience living there, thanks.

Its supposed to be very expensive to buy but when i look on mls.ca it doesnt seem that bad. Its mental hot in summer, i mean desert hot. We go in summer for a few days to Penticton, other side of the Okanagan Lake from Kelowna. Its like driving 5 hours from Vancouver and being in the Med.

Advertisement