Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been in Canada 3 months now info inside

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I'm in Vancouver 11 months now and my outlook has completely changed.
    I was homesick and annoyed with so many things for the first 3/4 months. Cost of living, bad wages, sport being on at insane hours etc.etc. but I love the place now. Wages have improved significantly and the cost of living isn't as bad as I first thought

I lived in Dublin for 6 month back in 2008 and it was more expensive for rent, public transport going out etc. There is so much opportunity here it's insane, you just need to look for it! There are ideas you could come up with here that Canadians would love whereas Irish people would be negative about it.

For new people coming here, my advice would be :
    - Give it time. It's a big move. If you try hard enough, you'll get your break.
    - DON'T BE NEGATIVE! I was like this for a while and it made myself and everyone around me feel sh!tty. You're here for 2 years maybe more or less. Enjoy it!
    - Try things out of your comfort zone. If a friend invites you to something you normally wouldn't go to, then go to it!
    - Get a job ASAP. Too many people come over on the piss and run out of money and have to leave again. It's not a holiday lads. If you want that then go to OZ.
    - Big yourself up in interviews. Everyone does it. Just grow a pair and make yourself look good. Don't be negative like most Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I was homesick and annoyed with so many things for the first 3/4 months. Cost of living, bad wages, sport being on at insane hours etc.etc. but I love the place now. Wages have improved significantly and the cost of living isn't as bad as I first thought

I lived in Dublin for 6 month back in 2008 and it was more expensive for rent, public transport going out etc. There is so much opportunity here it's insane, you just need to look for it! There are ideas you could come up with here that Canadians would love whereas Irish people would be negative about it.

- DON'T BE NEGATIVE! I was like this for a while and it made myself and everyone around me feel sh!tty. You're here for 2 years maybe more or less. Enjoy it!
    - Try things out of your comfort zone. If a friend invites you to something you normally wouldn't go to, then go to it!
    - Get a job ASAP. Too many people come over on the piss and run out of money and have to leave again. It's not a holiday lads. If you want that then go to OZ.
    - Big yourself up in interviews. Everyone does it. Just grow a pair and make yourself look good. Don't be negative like most Irish people.

Nice to finally see a bit of positivity in this thread! :D Do you mind me asking what industry you are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

Been in Edmonton close to 3 years now. Love it here. No desire to go back any time soon (but I have decided that I will eventually go back). My only advice is to be positive and don't keep lamenting about Ireland and whats going on at home on facebook while your here. Experience the country your in, chances are most of us will end up back in Ireland so why not enjoy and do things the Canadian way while your here. And don't compare everything to Ireland.

And remember leave the negativity behind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Someone I know who lived there a while back told me the same, it's not like here where you come across as being big headed if you put your strengths forward, over there you're actively encouraged to do it. Us Irish are a very self deprecating lot, which is fine in a humourous way or having a laugh I do it myself but over there people actually want you to succeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Is OZ supposed to be more like a holiday? Genuine question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Grimebox wrote: »
    Its a generalization used a lot which I dont get, If you dont have a job you wont last out there either, a friend of mine lasted three weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Agro Head

astonaidan wrote: »
    Its a generalization used a lot which I dont get, If you dont have a job you wont last out there either, a friend of mine lasted three weeks

Three weeks? Must have been one hell of a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

He was probably a slow drinker :P

Agro Head wrote: »
    Three weeks? Must have been one hell of a party.
    Running out of money got flight home before it was all gone, me personally if I was in that situation I would have just winged it that I was going to get a job, but it shows what happens if you treat somewhere like a party

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Agro Head

Running out of money got flight home before it was all gone, me personally if I was in that situation I would have just winged it that I was going to get a job, but it shows what happens if you treat somewhere like a party

Same. You could get some sort of job. Even if it was flipping burgers it beats going home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

billyduk wrote: »
    Nice to finally see a bit of positivity in this thread! :D Do you mind me asking what industry you are in?
    Hey, Yeah no worries. I'm a software developer. Took me 4/5 weeks to get a job.
    Grimebox wrote: »
    Well from what I've read, the experiences of people I know etc. it seems that a lot go there thinking it's just gonna be like heading to the canaries on a year/2 year holiday.
    Oh yeah I know. Again, it's just what I've seen/heard, plus the people I know that went there seem to concrete that view for me. It is actually the main thing that would put me off OZ tbh. 3 weeks? They must have brought hardly any cash. Surely they could've got a temp work through an agency or work in a fast food place or something? I find it very hard to believe that someone can't get a job somewhere full stop. There is always work around, even Ireland, be it your dream job or something you hate even just to tide you over til something good comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

I know it's off topic but that's what I wanna know is how much he brought .lol cause not even a month ? He didn't last long

Well from what I've read, the experiences of people I know etc. it seems that a lot go there thinking it's just gonna be like heading to the canaries on a year/2 year holiday.

Oh yeah I know. Again, it's just what I've seen/heard, plus the people I know that went there seem to concrete that view for me. It is actually the main thing that would put me off OZ tbh. 3 weeks? They must have brought hardly any cash. Surely they could've got a temp work through an agency or work in a fast food place or something? I find it very hard to believe that someone can't get a job somewhere full stop. There is always work around, even Ireland, be it your dream job or something you hate even just to tide you over til something good comes along.
    Well the thing is, if 20 lads went over and stayed the two years, then one guy went over and lasted a month then came home bitching that he couldnt get work, which one would you be more likely to remember. The lads going out there thinking its going to be a holiday are the ones who dont last.
    I know it's off topic but that's what I wanna know is how much he brought .lol cause not even a month ? He didn't last long
    Himself and the girlfriend had four thousand euros each out there, so flights home cost a grand. Itd be handy enough if you treated it as a holiday to knock out that much tbh. He spent one week in Sydney then flew to Melbourne to look for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Gawd blimey that's quite the turn around Kev. Glad you're enjoying mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

That's good to hear. I'll be looking for work in the exact same industry. Do you know of any resources I could use while still in Ireland to possibly give myself a head start?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Sam Swarek

Agro Head wrote: »
    Same. You could get some sort of job. Even if it was flipping burgers it beats going home.

some people have some notions of Canada - Ireland isn't that bad, im sure you could get a job in mcdonalds in ireland if you don't mind flipping burgers??!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

Sam Swarek wrote: »
    some people have some notions of Canada - Ireland isn't that bad, im sure you could get a job in mcdonalds in ireland if you don't mind flipping burgers??!

True, but for many its about the experience of living somewhere different for a while. I love Ireland and all of its quirks. I have a decent well paying job here. Some things here irritate me here like the parish gobeen politics and people's propensity to complain about the most trivial things, but this would never be a reason for me to leave. I choose to leave so that I can experience another country and another (although quite similar) way of life. People have different motivations. Some are going due to industry declines like construction, some are going for the proverbial "craic" and some are going just for a change of scenery.

billyduk wrote: »
    True, but for many its about the experience of living somewhere different for a while. I love Ireland and all of its quirks. I have a decent well paying job here. Some things here irritate me here like the parish gobeen politics and people's propensity to complain about the most trivial things, but this would never be a reason for me to leave. I choose to leave so that I can experience another country and another (although quite similar) way of life. People have different motivations. Some are going due to industry declines like construction, some are going for the proverbial "craic" and some are going just for a change of scenery.

That's fair enough but the post implied that they'd prefer to flip burgers in Canada than they would in Ireland, my point being, you won't get far on a burger flippers wage in Canada, you won't experience f all on a rubbish wage, you need a decent wage to have any sort of lifestyle in Canada, I'd prefer to be broke and struggling in Ireland with family and friends about than be broke, struggling, miserable and alone in Canada - yes it would be an experience, a very bad experience!!
    I think from reading this thread that people have a somewhat crazy notion of the place and that it is the best time ever and living in Ireland is a complete waste of time - I think a lot of people are in for a rude awakening as to how tough Canada and the move actually is!!!

That's fair enough but the post implied that they'd prefer to flip burgers in Canada than they would in Ireland, my point being, you won't get far on a burger flippers wage in Canada, you won't experience f all on a rubbish wage, you need a decent wage to have any sort of lifestyle in Canada, I'd prefer to be broke and struggling in Ireland with family and friends about than be broke, struggling, miserable and alone in Canada - yes it would be an experience, a very bad experience!!
    I think from reading this thread that people have a somewhat crazy notion of the place and that it is the best time ever and living in Ireland is a complete waste of time - I think a lot of people are in for a rude awakening as to how tough Canada and the move actually is!!!
    Im not sure if it would be a bad experience, now I can only compare it to Australia where a load of people I know would have been doing jobs they could be doing at home Barista/Labouring/Bar Man and had a great experience, why would Canada be such a different situation

Im not sure if it would be a bad experience, now I can only compare it to Australia where a load of people I know would have been doing jobs they could be doing at home Barista/Labouring/Bar Man and had a great experience, why would Canada be such a different situation

Fair enough - I've been to both countries and it's just my opinion!

• Advertisement

Fair enough - I've been to both countries and it's just my opinion!

i think it depends what kinda person you are tho and it seems you very friend dependent then by what ya said in previous posts. i mean it is exactly what you make of the situation.
    ok you can be there and be alone but if you are like that ya need to go do things join clubs whatever , make the experience enjoyable rather then get bored with it and leave . i mean im in no way fooled that Canada is the land of milk and honey and things can be expensive but not everything is .

but like everywhere it be only as good as you make to before yourself. and allot to relates to where you are too . i mean you can go west and up north and earn money allot of money . but that's no good if there's **** all there to do with it . that's the advantages of a larger city ok maybe more expensive but there's always something to do .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Tbh if youre labouring or a barman you should be alright money wise...its the $9/hr tim hortons folk that will struggle

i think it depends what kinda person you are tho and it seems you very friend dependent then by what ya said in previous posts. i mean it is exactly what you make of the situation.
    ok you can be there and be alone but if you are like that ya need to go do things join clubs whatever , make the experience enjoyable rather then get bored with it and leave . i mean im in no way fooled that Canada is the land of milk and honey and things can be expensive but not everything is .

but like everywhere it be only as good as you make to before yourself. and allot to relates to where you are too . i mean you can go west and up north and earn money allot of money . but that's no good if there's **** all there to do with it . that's the advantages of a larger city ok maybe more expensive but there's always something to do .

No absolutely not - I've travelled and lived in 4 different countries all of which I did on my own and knew nobody where I was going, so "friend dependent" I am not!
    I joined clubs, I made friends with Canadians, I went to the hockey regularly, went to the CFL games, I just couldn't get into the whole thing as much as I tried.
    Canada is expensive, food, accommodation, clothes, alcohol, they only thing I found cheaper than home was fuel, but you have to drive a 5litre truck to be able to get around in winter so that cancels that out.
    I'm not trying to dampen anyone's spirits but really research the place and the city you are going to before you committ to going.

No absolutely not - I've travelled and lived in 4 different countries all of which I did on my own and knew nobody where I was going, so "friend dependent" I am not!
    I joined clubs, I made friends with Canadians, I went to the hockey regularly, went to the CFL games, I just couldn't get into the whole thing as much as I tried.
    Canada is expensive, food, accommodation, clothes, alcohol, they only thing I found cheaper than home was fuel, but you have to drive a 5litre truck to be able to get around in winter so that cancels that out.
    I'm not trying to dampen anyone's spirits but really research the place and the city you are going to before you committ to going.
    Ah I get it it just wasnt the place for you it happens I understand that you were in sask right ?

Ah I get it it just wasnt the place for you it happens I understand that you were in sask right ?

Yup I was in Sask and im sorry I didn't try Toronto or Vancouver, but it got to a stage where I just wanted to bale - id tell anyone to avoid SK at all costs.

retalivity wrote: »
    Tbh if youre labouring or a barman you should be alright money wise...its the $9/hr tim hortons folk that will struggle

Since you've been gone it turns out that been using foreign labour and not paying proper overtime. Never liked TH... its like some sort of drug to some in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Since you've been gone it turns out that been using foreign labour and not paying proper overtime. Never liked TH... its like some sort of drug to some in this country.

It really is rank stuff altogether, but it is dirt cheap so I guess you get what you pay for...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

ciaran67 wrote: »

Yeah, I've never understood the obsession with Tim Horton's. The coffee is terrible there.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Roundtd181

There was actually a study done on the contents of the coffee and there is nicotine in it which i find hard to believe myself but could explain the canadians reliance upon it. Rotten stuff i agree.

• Advertisement

Roundtd181 wrote: »
    There was actually a study done on the contents of the coffee and there is nicotine in it which i find hard to believe myself but could explain the canadians reliance upon it. Rotten stuff i agree.

Couldn't believe it when i saw it being sold in Greystones Wicklow.

Advertisement