Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been in Canada 3 months now info inside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Couldn't believe it when i saw it being sold in Greystones Wicklow.

Yeah, I bought a Tim Horton's coffee in a garage in Dublin a few years back and I can remember it being pretty rancid.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted, about 6 or 7 months and I just came across the thread again and said id check in to see how all the earlier posters are getting on/ settling in?
    Well I'll be here a year in August and we are heading back to Ireland, we never planned on staying permanently it was more of a year out for a new experience. Have mixed emotions about going home, I love Vancouver but I'd rather be around friends and family and I would find it hard to settle here for good, but I will miss the summer weather and the beach and the outdoorsy lifestyle etc, but will make more of an effort to get out in Ireland too. Have never done do much hiking since I got here!
    So anyone else heading home? Or are people planning on staying here for good? Would love to hear how everyone is getting on? ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Roundtd181

In Edmonton just over a year now. I wouldnt be too fond of this city but we do have a great bunch of irish friends here and with the gaelic and soccer it makes it easy.. The city itself isn't clean and is very ugly but there are great oppurtunities work wise here... As stated above the outdoor life is brilliant, in Ireland 95% of activities involve alchohol but here you can drive to BC and spend the weekend hiking, biking, white water rafting and seeing incredible views... I love that aspect of it.. I have a another 11 months left of this visa.. i cant see myself staying past the two years but there are a good few ones here for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Been in Toronto over a year now. Going to head home in the coming months...
    Originally I intended on a long term stay, but I cannot accept the fact that they completely disregard your work experience accrued outside of Canada...

Aside from the work, I just find it kind of boring here. The people are v nice but not a whole pile of fun.
    Its big city expensive here but they don't seem to pay big city wages!
    And I'll never get used to the chunky tax and chunky tip custom! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Great to hear from you all again, and best of luck to those heading home! :)

I'm pretty much in agreement with what dealhunter said. I'm in the same job here that I started in. At this point I count myself lucky to have a job at all. I've tried for so many better jobs and radio silence. I was starting to think it was me, so I sent a few CVs off for jobs at home and got calls right away. The job I'm in now is probably a step lower than I would have started at when I left college in Ireland. I just took it to keep me going until I got something... At least I've money coming in though.

As I mentioned before my partner is Canadian so I came here with him. At this point I plan to stay my 2 years. I might even stay for the summer next year as a tourist but I really don't see myself staying past that. With the cost of living here and the tax & tip, as you say, I'll not be going home with savings, that's for sure.

It's just not for me. As you've all said the outdoor stuff is great, I'm into running myself. But the fact that it costs $50 to do a 5k here and the money doesn't even go to charity, where I can do one at home for E5-10 & the money goes to a local school or whatever is much better imo. So my racing has been limited since I've been here.

I've been getting out hiking & cycling to enjoy the summer & enjoy the nice weather when I can. But I do agree with you dealhunter life here is a bit flat or something. There's no real excitement or fun.

I've passed my year here now. I do get on well with the people I work with, but they're all close to retirement age. So I still don't have anyone that I would really count as a friend. That's the bit I'm finding the hardest. I've tried, gone to so many different clubs & meet up groups, but I find the people are just there for the hour or whatever it's on & if they see you again they see you again.

Does anyone else find that things here seem to always have start & end times? And that people leave at the end times? I find that really strange. It's like it doesn't matter if a good conversation is going, they're all off.

Anyway that's my sceal so far. As I said best of luck to all going home, thanks for the company over the adventure! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

heh...reading this is like looking at myself last year before I left.

I do not miss it at all.

retalivity wrote: »
    heh...reading this is like looking at myself last year before I left.

I do not miss it at all.

Good to know!

ah I'm glad I came, lesson learned and all that, if it's not broke don't fix it!! But I think once I do get back home I'll never look back!

CBCB2 wrote: »
    Good to know!

ah I'm glad I came, lesson learned and all that, if it's not broke don't fix it!! But I think once I do get back home I'll never look back!

Oh yeah, i'm glad I went too, lived abroad, travelled a bit etc, but at nearly 3 years there I was done with the place.

retalivity wrote: »
    Oh yeah, i'm glad I went too, lived abroad, travelled a bit etc, but at nearly 3 years there I was done with the place.

You did well, 3 months in & I was ready to go back!! haha!

I'm going to give up the job search, just do what I'm doing now & try to travel around a bit & do my bucket list for here then head back when my visa's up next year!

At least home's always there to go back to!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

Over the one year mark in Toronto and going home some time early next year at the latest.

I've had some great experiences here and there are aspects of life that are genuinely better than home ($15 for a ball game on a sunny day on a whim? Variety of food? Reliable and extensive public transit? Drinking culture more geared towards appreciation than getting hammered? Damn right!) but I think settling here would be too expensive. To get a bigger place would entail moving further out from the downtown core and then you get into running a car, box-box-store suburban life, etc. Apparently locals are used to long commutes but I think it's a fairly big quality of life reduction. And once you've lived downtown you can't do without it.

Also, the weather is brutal in winter and suffocating in summer. I'll never complain about having to wear a light jacket at all times again :)

If I could go back in time I'd still chose to come here and if others have the opportunity then they should definitely do so. The first few months were tough but stick it out and you won't regret it :)

• Advertisement

I always thought the variety of restaurants in Dublin was great...
    I don't see what people find better in Toronto in terms of food variety..
    Alot of overpriced smoke houses from what I can see...

The asian places would be much better...chinese, korean, viet, sushi, thai etc.

Canadian/american food would be much of a muchness really...jack astors, hard rock, crabby joes etc....its all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Solasdeas

We just moved from Saskatchewan to Halifax, Nova Scotia 2 weeks ago. I really like Halifax so far, Regina, SK nearly drained the life out of me. We are going to give it a year and if we don't feel settled we'll go back to Europe. Haven't really met any Irish so far in Canada that want to stay here long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

I moved to Canada in February this year with my bf but we ended up moving back to Ireland after just over two months and tbh it's the best decision we ever made! We started in Vancouver and stayed for one month before the cost of living and lack of job opportunities became too much. We found it very hard to meet people there too so it was kinda lonely. After the first month we decided to move to Calgary and try it out for a few months as we heard jobs were more plentiful there. It turned out to be even worse for us, the only response my bf got for jobs he applied to was for a part time position in Walmart! My job search didn't fare much better. Aside from the lack of decent paying jobs we were bored senseless living there.

So at the end of April we made the tough(ish) decision to swallow our pride and book flights home - it was hard to fight the feeling of being a quitter or a failure after spending two years planning to move there only to be giving up after two months, but honestly those two months felt like an eternity!!

Within a month of moving home we both found full time jobs, himself in a good paying position in what he'd studied in college and we're now in a much better position than I could ever imagine we'd have been in had we stayed in Canada.

I don't want this post to come off as overly negative and I know some people might slate my opinion blah blah blah but just wanted to share my experience. With all that said, I don't regret going to Canada because at least now we know we're not missing anything by staying in Ireland for the rest of our lives, it's really not such a bad little country when you see the other side of the coin! We found that the most criticism we got for moving home so fast was from people who've never actually had the balls to leave the country themselves. As another poster said above, Canada just wasn't for us.

So long story short: we moved to Canada, moved home much earlier than planned, regret nothing about the whole experience (apart from maybe the thousands of euro we wasted on it all). Just my tuppence worth :)

Karbolt wrote: »
    I moved to Canada in February this year with my bf but we ended up moving back to Ireland after just over two months and tbh it's the best decision we ever made! We started in Vancouver and stayed for one month before the cost of living and lack of job opportunities became too much. We found it very hard to meet people there too so it was kinda lonely. After the first month we decided to move to Calgary and try it out for a few months as we heard jobs were more plentiful there. It turned out to be even worse for us, the only response my bf got for jobs he applied to was for a part time position in Walmart! My job search didn't fare much better. Aside from the lack of decent paying jobs we were bored senseless living there.

So at the end of April we made the tough(ish) decision to swallow our pride and book flights home - it was hard to fight the feeling of being a quitter or a failure after spending two years planning to move there only to be giving up after two months, but honestly those two months felt like an eternity!!

Within a month of moving home we both found full time jobs, himself in a good paying position in what he'd studied in college (graphic design) and we're now in a much better position than I could ever imagine we'd have been in had we stayed in Canada.

I don't want this post to come off as overly negative and I know some people might slate my opinion blah blah blah but just wanted to share my experience. With all that said, I don't regret going to Canada because at least now we know we're not missing anything by staying in Ireland for the rest of our lives, it's really not such a bad little country when you see the other side of the coin! We found that the most criticism we got for moving home do fast was from people who've never actually had the balls to leave the country themselves. As another poster said above, Canada just wasn't for us.

So long story short: we moved to Canada, moved home much earlier than planned, regret nothing about the whole experience (apart from maybe the thousands of euro we wasted on it all). Just my tuppence worth :)

That's great that it worked out for ye guys in the end.
    I'm counting down the days until I can hand in my notice at work (once I complete the year) and then can get the fook out of here.. :)

That's great that it worked out for ye guys in the end.
    I'm counting down the days until I can hand in my notice at work (once I complete the year) and then can get the fook out of here.. :)

How long have you left there? You won't regret moving home. Things seem to be improving in Ireland job wise, still a long way to go but not nearly as bleak as it was a few years ago.

It's funny how much more I appreciate the little things since we got back, everyone should leave for a while then we might not give out so much about the place!!

Been here since May of 2013.
    I left a very good job back at home to come here only to be working in roles that a graduate would be doing since I arrived!
    Sickening really but you live and learn :)

Been here since May of 2013.
    I left a very good job back at home to come here only to be working in roles that a graduate would be doing since I arrived!
    Sickening really but you live and learn :)

Ah at least you've stuck it out for a respectable amount of time, we've been back in Ireland now for longer than we were actually gone so it's pretty laughable when I think about it like that! Exactly, it can all be chalked down to life experience. If you'd never left ireland you'd probably always be wondering "what if", at least now we know the grass isn't always greener.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

I've heard a lot more negative than positive about Canada and in my experience, the place is a sh.ithole and the Canadians are planks, better places to emigrate to in the world, believe me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ck24

This thread is so negative, and its making me even more anxious about quitting a job to go canada. What was everyones expectations, and in what way did canada not meet them?

I'm giving up a job to go to Toronto. I want to experience living abroad for awhile and experience living in a big city like toronto. I dont plan on it being a permanent move. Im heading over with my OH and if we dont like it or cant get any work at all after 3 months we'll head off travelling for awhile before we go home. Trying to save enough money so we're not stuck and have to come home after a few months.

At least this thread is keeping my expectations very low!

• Advertisement

ck24 wrote: »
    This thread is so negative, and its making me even more anxious about quitting a job to go canada. What was everyones expectations, and in what way did canada not meet them?

I'm giving up a job to go to Toronto. I want to experience living abroad for awhile and experience living in a big city like toronto. I dont plan on it being a permanent move. Im heading over with my OH and if we dont like it or cant get any work at all after 3 months we'll head off travelling for awhile before we go home. Trying to save enough money so we're not stuck and have to come home after a few months.

The job market is tough. I expected that I would have to start down the food chain and after having gained some local experience I would find something decent but that hasn't been the case. Applied for many jobs I'm more than qualified to do but never hear anything back. There's not as many jobs out there as people think.
    Toronto is an expensive city and you need a decent wage to have any sort of life. But the wages here don't reflect that at all.
    I think this is an interesting read :
    http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/03/13/why_canadas_job_market_hasnt_recovered_goar.html

Aside from the job market, I just find the place kind of boring. If you have plenty of money, you will find some things to do. Its hard to get to know people here and thats not something I usually have a problem doing.

Might be worth doing some research to see how it is finding jobs in your particular field before taking the plunge. Don't let the thread put you off completely. You're just reading a few peoples bad experiences. I'm sure there are people out there for whom it has worked out..

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

ck24 wrote: »

If you want my advice, go to Australia or London, Canada is a kip and expensive too, very over rated

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you want my advice, go to Australia or London, Canada is a kip and expensive too, very over rated

You realise the cost of living is much higher in both Australia and London, right? If you're looking for somewhere cheap, go live in Cavan or somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The entire country is a kip? c'mon now don't be silly.
    I've been in Toronto two months now and it's expensive but the amount of stuff there is to see and do is crazy compared to back home, open air markets all the time, free festivals every other weekend, free movies down at the lakefront, the distillery disctrict, baseball every other night where tickets are 15 quid. Cool shops everywhere, people are generally nice and friendly, no scummers hassling people on the streets, lots of homeless but they tend to mind their own business.

Nearly every post of yours on here is just telling people how sh1te Canada is, in your experience maybe and people shouldn't go expecting it to be the land of milk and honey as it isnt, but it's what you make of it. I know if I stayed at home I would have regretted not doing this and even if I come back in a few months or whatever least I can say I got out of Limerick (wanna talk about kips) for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

I've been in Vancouver less than two weeks and look to have a job sorted for a good bit more than I would have gotten at home. Rent prices are on par with Dublin I would say. Cost of living doesn't seem radically more expensive bar groceries.

Lot of negativity on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ustari wrote: »
    I've been in Vancouver less than two weeks and look to have a job sorted for a good bit more than I would have gotten at home. Rent prices are on par with Dublin I would say. Cost of living doesn't seem radically more expensive bar groceries.

Lot of negativity on this thread.

Meat can be pricey alright, better to buy in bulk and freeze it if someplace like No Frills has a deal on. what I've found myself doing is buying what's reasonable and eating that for the week or whatever instead of going around looking for cheaper alternatives of what you want. Markets are the way to go for fruit, walmart for household stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Solasdeas

Canada is massive, each province is like a diifferent country. I find
    Halifax cheaper than Dublin. I don't want to put anyone off coming to Canada, I just hated where we first landed however I really like Halifax. I was a bit naive coming over and Saskatchewan really wasn't for us, I wish we knew a bit more about it. However my boyfriend got great work experience and we met some nice people. I just wish we could of bypassed the crap of Sask and went straight to Nova Scotia! Another thing we weren't aware of is that we had to start from scratch with our credit rating, get a credit card with a small limit if you are planning to stay here long term and want to build your credit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Businessman

I'm curious to hear how the poster NewsMeQuick is getting on in Vancouver. He used to post in here everyday for months speculating about the visa process and asking questions. Apparently he hasn't logged on for weeks. Has anybody heard from him? Did he go back to Ireland early? It would be sad if he abandoned Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I think these posts fall into two camps. Those who found work quickly and those who didn't. Plus it's even more demoralising looking for work abroad on a budget. I think that people's honest opinions, no matter how negative, are good for future Irish job seekers coming over. It really can mess with your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

I posted more to assure people that haven't yet come over that it isn't all doom and gloom from what I've seen so far.

Advertisement