Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been in Canada 3 months now info inside

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think it's good to give it a go. Go prepared, and if its not for you at least you've tried and you can come back. It's not like you'll be made stay for the entire two years if it isn't what you want.

I'm going over in a few months, probably Toronto, give it a chance and if its not for me at least I won't be always wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Im in the same boat, I'll be hitting for Vancouver end of september. Looking forward to the experience and as stated above if its not what I want to do ill come home in a few months. I think its what you make of it more so than going over and trying to get the place to meet high expectations built up before going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Solasdeas

A lot of Irish people I met were young couples with families that left their house etc behind in order to start a new life in Canada, they couldn't afford just to give it a try for a few months. But if a person is in a position to do so then more power to them!

I am glad this thread is here though as it'll give people a more realistic expectation of life in Canada as oppose to the image that's given by Irish media and at job expos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Solasdeas wrote: »

I am glad this thread is here though as it'll give people a more realistic expectation of life in Canada as oppose to the image that's given by Irish media and at job expos.

Ah I hope this thread doesn't put people off, it is worth it for the experience and everyone is different and settles differently. But as the poster said above it's good to have a more balanced opinion and at the end of the day that's all this is how we all have found it and our opinion of the place.

I'm looking forward to going home and my plan is to go home when my visa expires next year, I've had my ups and downs here, but overall (or today at least!!) I'm glad I tried it, if nothing else it's given me a greater appreciation for how great our wee country is. I think it'll be good if in a few years if a lot of us end up back at home at least we might appreciate it a bit more.

I would say that I for one did not appreciate the standard of living, the quality of my education, the quality of the food available, how good our labour and employment laws are and how much my social life and social circle meant to me until I moved here. Oh and the joy of having consistent weather, it may rain a lot, but at least there's not 20 degree swings in temperature in one day, and weeks on end of shovelling the driveway.

I also hope that this experience will bring me more tolerance and understanding for immigrants to our own country when we get back and to think about what I say to people.

Anyway best of luck to all who are heading over this year and all who are currently here, I hope your story turns out for the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I emigrated to Ireland from my home country many years ago. I hated living in Ireland for about 18 months, after that I started to appreciate the great things the country has to offer (consistent weather, wages, friendly people etc.).

Now I'm starting to look to emigrate for a second time, to the USA or Canada (once I've finished college), and having emigrated before, I'd go into it knowing that I had to give it a year (MINIMUM) before I could knowledgeably decide it wasn't for me, because it takes time to settle in, and appreciate the nuances and differences in culture. If I'd gone back to my home country after a month here I wouldn't be in the great position I'm in now. However at the time, that's all I wanted to do. Sometimes you literally just have to let yourself cry if you're sad or homesick, keep working hard and stick it out, for the long term gain.

That was just my experience anyway, obviously I'm not commenting or critiquing anybody elses experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I agree this thread is a downer, but I'm really hoping that having a Canadian job ref behind me (I've a job set up for 2 months when I get there in a camp) will help...I honestly won't be able to scrape a huge amount of cash together to support myself for months on end, so I'll need to get a job sorted ASAP when I move down to TO after my job finishes...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I agree this thread is a downer, but I'm really hoping that having a Canadian job ref behind me (I've a job set up for 2 months when I get there in a camp) will help...I honestly won't be able to scrape a huge amount of cash together to support myself for months on end, so I'll need to get a job sorted ASAP when I move down to TO after my job finishes...

Do make sure you get a place to live asap, if you're lucky one without a long lease. I'm in a month to month place so that suits me but as it stands if I don't get a job in the next few weeks it's sayonara Toronto. Even in retail non-Canadian experience doesn't seem to amount to much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Just got a new job in Dublin recently and have been living in the US for training for 2 months.

The company seems awesome, but my Canadian visa needs to be used before April 1st.... I have no idea what I should do. If I decide to quit my new job early, I'll have to start looking for work in Vancouver in October realistically, and give my notice to my new job in Dublin in Feb... :o

Both the companies I've worked for in the last 4 years are massive American companies, I'm hoping that makes my resume more appealing than if I had worked in a small Irish company.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

GrumPy wrote: »
    Just got a new job in Dublin recently and have been living in the US for training for 2 months.

The company seems awesome, but my Canadian visa needs to be used before April 1st.... I have no idea what I should do. If I decide to quit my new job early, I'll have to start looking for work in Vancouver in October realistically, and give my notice to my new job in Dublin in Feb... :o

Both the companies I've worked for in the last 4 years are massive American companies, I'm hoping that makes my resume more appealing than if I had worked in a small Irish company.

I suppose it all depends on your reason for going to Canada. Is it purely for the experience of living abroad or is it for job prospects? You sound v positive about the new job in Dublin. I guess you got to ask yourself, how you would feel if you decided to pack it in, move to Canada and find yourself in a lower level role in a not so interesting company? Would you be content with that?

Relating to the American experience.. I had 7 years work experience in American multinationals before coming and dont feel it was considered at all. It seems like they are only interested in specifically Canadian experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ditto for me...they would probably have been more interested if I said I worked in a tim hortons in Ireland rather that a large multinational. If it wasn't for the fact that I was referred by someone who knew someone who knew the hiring manager, I probably wouldn't have got my cv in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,567 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Some very bizarre reading in this thread, mainly the "Canada is a kip, just go to London or Oz", I found that one quite hilarious.

I have been here for just over a year now, and its been the best decision of my life. It took me 3 months to get the ball rolling with a job and its been a grind at times as well, but with perseverance I have landed a very nice job now, full-time and with benefits etc, I work in design here.

At the start I admit it was a very tough and thats when most people will doubt and think about going home, but honestly, stick with it, it gets better.

I had friends here before I moved but I have since made many more friends separate from them and it just feels like a whole new life for me. I will be going for PR as well and I can't see me wanting to go back to Dublin for a long time yet, the pay is better here in my field of work and I have a good lifestyle that suits me to the ground.

Canada is what you make it, the biggest change to make when you get here is yourself, if you come expecting everything to just change like that, nothing will happen, I can guarantee that. But, if you arrive with an open mind, some determination and good frame of mind, you will love it.

Hope that helps some people on here, I can understand when it doesn't work for people, but to say that Canada is a kip etc, its just plain stupidity I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

Hi,

I've only just recently read some of the posts in this thread with interest and can relate to the experiences of living in Canada even back in 2006/2007 when I was on a 1 yr WHV.

I decided on going away for a year in 2006 while working in the airport and after completing a degree part time at night. Seeing all those people travelling to far flung corners of the globe pushed me into going somewhere I had always wanted to experience but never been before...Canada was one of one of those places.

I arrived in Toronto in Oct 2006 and stayed for the best part of a month in a hostel before I managed to get a decent place sharing with one other in Dufferin and College. The rent was pretty reasonable and worked out cheaper than the hostel long term. Toronto was tough to start out in and I practically went door to door looking for work including signing up with as many agencies (which I highly recommend). I did an orientation with USIT's Canadian sister company on King St. I managed to get 2 or 3 office jobs while there for 5 months.

In between the jobs was tough and towards the end work had dried up plus I had enough of the late snowy Canadian winter (Jan-March). The coldest I have ever experienced, -27 walking from the CBD to Little Italy was something I will never forget! Another thing I wish I had done was watch the spending at the start. I splashed on eating out thinking this is great but was shocked to see the money go down pretty quick. Experience living abroad certainly goes along way and you learn to budget. Toronto for me wasn't as expensive as the city I would go to for the remaining months of my visa.

I landed in Vancouver in early April after a frustrating search in Toronto for additional work. I arrived in the downtown YHA hostel and stayed living in 3-4 different hostels around Vancouver for the remaining few months as I just could not afford the rent. One of those places was the student accommodation at UBC for 3 months or so during the summer. Pretty good rates too. At one stage the only job I had was working cash in hand at a car wash at weekends just to meet the weekly hostel rate and feed myself. There was some bonuses to that job, sometimes I was hoovering up lost coins under the seats of classic cars, hummers, convertables, SUV's you name it. I did get to see a bit outside the cities but not enough to get me where I wanted to go. It's a good excuse to come back for a holiday.

Canada is a great country but it isn't the land of milk and honey for everyone. You have to put in the work to get anything out and even so I felt my visa was somehow restricting me. Budget and save as much as you can, sign up with as many recruitment agencies and pester them each week looking for work..any work. Nothing is worse than being out of a job, on your own and in a foreign land away from family and close friends. You'll soon get down in the dumps pretty quick believe me. Try and get out of the cities if you can for shorter trips and try and meet up with people in hostels or local events if you aren't in hostels. I found Greyhound Canada to be pretty good for road journeys between towns and cities.

That's my advice.

Best of luck and safe travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I just thought I'd add my thoughts to this thread. I've been in Vancouver exactly three months now and I can say I've hit what I'd describe as a 3 month slump. I was told to prepare for something like this when I arrived. I knew it wouldn't be easy coming out here and I did my homework and prepared thoroughly coming out here but this is the lowest I've been since I got here. I came out not knowing anyone and have made a few friends out here, have been to multiple networking events, signed up to a few teams which is all pretty good. I still find this to be a particularly lonely place to live not really knowing anyone. I also thought I'd have full time work by now, been doing part time jobs to tie me over for now. Just have to dust myself down ad start over again. Vancouver is a beautiful city with spectacular scenery, but it isn't easy. Some described it is a "cold" city before I arrived, maybe a bit harsh, but I've seen a bit of that. Overall I don't regret leaving home, it's something I had to do and I had the freedom to do it, it's character building and hard at times. Hopefully things kick on from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I just thought I'd add my thoughts to this thread. I've been in Vancouver exactly three months now and I can say I've hit what I'd describe as a 3 month slump. I was told to prepare for something like this when I arrived. I knew it wouldn't be easy coming out here and I did my homework and prepared thoroughly coming out here but this is the lowest I've been since I got here. I came out not knowing anyone and have made a few friends out here, have been to multiple networking events, signed up to a few teams which is all pretty good. I still find this to be a particularly lonely place to live not really knowing anyone. I also thought I'd have full time work by now, been doing part time jobs to tie me over for now. Just have to dust myself down ad start over again. Vancouver is a beautiful city with spectacular scenery, but it isn't easy. Some described it is a "cold" city before I arrived, maybe a bit harsh, but I've seen a bit of that. Overall I don't regret leaving home, it's something I had to do and I had the freedom to do it, it's character building and hard at times. Hopefully things kick on from here

Make friends with Irish people. It is pretty much the reason I'm still here after 14 months! The ****ty feeling will pass though, and if you are heading out at weekends, the drink makes you 10 times worse. You'll be grand!

I'm in Vancouver 14 months now. Love it here. I've been in LA with work for a couple of weeks and coming back over that border was a god send. Going home for a month at Xmas and then gonna apply for PR in January. Only ever planned on coming here for a year or so but it looks like it will be for 2/3 years total anyway I'd say. I do not want to go back home and have to live in Dublin when I can live in a way nicer city for the same money.

Vancouver is expensive so I'd advise that if you plan on coming here to work in an unskilled job, then don't. You won't be able to enjoy it unless you try really hard and go out of your comfort zone to get a different kind of job.

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Make friends with Irish people. It is pretty much the reason I'm still here after 14 months! The ****ty feeling will pass though, and if you are heading out at weekends, the drink makes you 10 times worse. You'll be grand!

This might sound like a stupid question and I can't believe I'm asking it, but what's the best way of meeting Irish people?? I met a good few the first couple of weeks but that's died down a bit the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

This might sound like a stupid question and I can't believe I'm asking it, but what's the best way of meeting Irish people?? I met a good few the first couple of weeks but that's died down a bit the last while

Easy. Join GAA club.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

I tried joining GAA but its not for me. Its really hard to meet people, I have met a few through work and that but its hard. A boards meet up should be organized :)

Sounds like a plan actually is be game . Over the end the month too there few regulars that I'm sure be up for it .

I'm not into GAA at all but I do know its a way if meeting some people. I suggested a meet on the vancouver page and got not no reply.. Well up for a meet-up though..

If you like soccer/rugby/GAA, go to the irish pubs and watch em! I've went out on my own and made friends that way. Playing soccer or rugby is a great way too! Plus you meet other nationalities too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

there's a rather large Toronto Irish group on meetup, a lot of them would be older and some are 2nd or 3rd generation "Irish", but they would also get a lot of more recent arrivals. They usually meet up at least once a month.
    I'd imagine there is something similar for Van, Calgary, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Phoenix wrote: »
    I think some come over with a sense of entitlement and naivety to be honest

Naivety, yes perhaps.

Its all about luck. Lucky lucky luckity luck. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

CBCB2 wrote: »
    I'm a chartered accountant, I've got my Canadian ca in addition to my Irish one. I've a 1st class degree & masters in Accounting (masters seem to be a big deal here!!).

Hey hope things have gotten better for ya since you last posted here!

Was wondering what you had to do to get the Canadian CA designation? Did you do some sort of reciprocity exam over there or did you do it before you left? Do you have to pay the Institute fees here and then another fee for the Canadian Institute? Pretty much every finance job ad I've seen has mentioned having a CA designation is preferable.

Advertisement