Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been in Canada 3 months now info inside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Well no point in paying all that money if you aren't going to use it.
    I'm leaving at the end of October and have no interest whatsoever in coming back.

haha It shouldn't be that difficult. Just way up the pros vs the cons :)

I'm just bored of the place really... And still doing a job I would never have done at home.... Maybe if I was fresh out of college... Plus the pay isnt great.. (but by Toronto standards its probably not that bad)

I have a decent job waiting at home for me, so it feels like the right thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

Another one here going home once the visa expires :)

Living downtown is great but I can see it as being ultimately unsustainable - the time will come when a 1-bed apartment just won't cut it any more. Then it's case of moving further out into the outskirts and commuting in and I'd rather do that back home - I can't stomach the thought of living amongst the identical strip malls.

I also accepted a step down career wise just to work here (Toronto) which was fine for a while but it pisses me off to know I can do better, have more responsibility and earn more back in Dublin.

I'll miss the real summers, beer selection, feeling of safety on the streets and local sports teams but they're not enough to keep me here.

Well I reckon you should only apply for PR if you intend to R P - seems the process can take a long time, and it's not like citizenship in that you can come and go from Canada as you please once you have it.

Best thing to do is probably flip a coin - heads you stay, tails you leave. If it turns up heads and your heart sinks a little at the thought then you know how you really feel :). It's a big decision and loss aversion looms large in the mind when trying to tease it out rationally.

Can I flip the coin for you?
    I'm very good at flipping coins..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Well I reckon you should only apply for PR if you intend to R P - seems the process can take a long time, and it's not like citizenship in that you can come and go from Canada as you please once you have it.

Best thing to do is probably flip a coin - heads you stay, tails you leave. If it turns up heads and your heart sinks a little at the thought then you know how you really feel :). It's a big decision and loss aversion looms large in the mind when trying to tease it out rationally.

You only need to be in Canada 2 years in 5 to maintain the PR. It might be worth getting it if you can, just to have a fallback.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

With applying for PR isn't it only certain professions that count? I'll hopefully be self employed doing something by the time my 2 years are up but I'll stay on if I can

No, you only need to have worked 12 months in a job that qualifies under the skills worker class program.
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp?expand=jobs#jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You only need to be in Canada 2 years in 5 to maintain the PR. It might be worth getting it if you can, just to have a fallback.

Did they change this? I thought there used to be some stipulation where if you were out for over 9 (12?) consecutive months you forfeited it too.

Interesting to see people in the same boat I was in last year, with much the grievances and reasons.
    After almost a year away, I still have no regrets leaving Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

retalivity wrote: »
    Did they change this? I thought there used to be some stipulation where if you were out for over 9 (12?) consecutive months you forfeited it too.

Not sure if it changed

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

RichFTW wrote: »
    Hey hope things have gotten better for ya since you last posted here!

Was wondering what you had to do to get the Canadian CA designation? Did you do some sort of reciprocity exam over there or did you do it before you left? Do you have to pay the Institute fees here and then another fee for the Canadian Institute? Pretty much every finance job ad I've seen has mentioned having a CA designation is preferable.

Hey,

Sorry was away for a week there and was on a no internet kick!

Nope things haven't gotten any better. I hit the 150 jobs applied for in 2014 mark at the start of August, so I've decided that come June when my visa expires - first plane home! I'll stick out this job until then to 'try' to make back what it cost me to come here.

Anyways on the CA designation...

http://www.cpaontario.ca/Admissions/InternationallyTrainedAccountants/ReciprocalMembershipBody/1010page13643.aspx

This is the link, basically you become a Reciprocal (I still can't pronounce the word!!) Member. So you have a form to fill in, then you need to contact CAI as they need to send a letter of good standing and a certified copy of your results directly to CPA Ontario. They will not accept it if it comes through you.

I think there is an assessment fee at this point, $282.50. Then once they admit you to membership you have to pay a joining fee of $762.75. You then also have to pay your full year's membership fees of $1084.50.

Once you're admitted to membership you have a choice of either sitting an exam or doing an online course to meet the eligibility criteria. I've opted for the course so I can't really speak to the exam. I know you have to do the exam if you want to work in 'public practice' as they call it here, basically in an Accounting firm.

If you go the course route they give you 2 years from your date of acceptance to complete the course. And as with everything else here, the course is $1100. So I haven't done the course yet, partly because the cost of this whole exercise annoys me and partly because I have the CPD I need this year, so no point in doing it until next year. Also, with going home for sure next year, I'm kinda wondering what would happen if I don't do it!! haha!

Ongoing the annual fee is $1084.50 payable around June each year. Be careful when you are getting a job it does seem to be common here that the employer doesn't pay these fees. You do get a tax deduction for them when doing your taxes though if you pay them yourself! But don't just assume that they will be paid, probably best to ask at the negotiation stage if you are offered a job.

So in terms of CAI, when my renewal came up this year, they gave me a working abroad rate of E100. But I had to get a letter of good standing from CPA Ontario sent to them and I think I had to send my contract to confirm my employment here.

I started the process with CPA, Ontario about 2 months I think before I left Ireland, it takes a wee while for them to process, 8 weeks I think. Try to plan it though so that you're in Canada before you get accepted. That way you can claim the $700 odd joining fee against your income tax return. You can only claim it if it's paid after you're resident in Canada. I guess if you waited until getting here to apply you might be able to claim the $300 application fee on your taxes. I didn't so I couldn't claim it, but for the amount of tax you'd save on it I figured it was better to be applying for jobs saying that my application was in!

If you have any other questions just let me know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

CBCB2 wrote: »
    Hey,

Sorry was away for a week there and was on a no internet kick!

Nope things haven't gotten any better. I hit the 150 jobs applied for in 2014 mark at the start of August, so I've decided that come June when my visa expires - first plane home! I'll stick out this job until then to 'try' to make back what it cost me to come here.

Anyways on the CA designation...

http://www.cpaontario.ca/Admissions/InternationallyTrainedAccountants/ReciprocalMembershipBody/1010page13643.aspx

This is the link, basically you become a Reciprocal (I still can't pronounce the word!!) Member. So you have a form to fill in, then you need to contact CAI as they need to send a letter of good standing and a certified copy of your results directly to CPA Ontario. They will not accept it if it comes through you.

I think there is an assessment fee at this point, $282.50. Then once they admit you to membership you have to pay a joining fee of $762.75. You then also have to pay your full year's membership fees of $1084.50.

Once you're admitted to membership you have a choice of either sitting an exam or doing an online course to meet the eligibility criteria. I've opted for the course so I can't really speak to the exam. I know you have to do the exam if you want to work in 'public practice' as they call it here, basically in an Accounting firm.

If you go the course route they give you 2 years from your date of acceptance to complete the course. And as with everything else here, the course is $1100. So I haven't done the course yet, partly because the cost of this whole exercise annoys me and partly because I have the CPD I need this year, so no point in doing it until next year. Also, with going home for sure next year, I'm kinda wondering what would happen if I don't do it!! haha!

Ongoing the annual fee is $1084.50 payable around June each year. Be careful when you are getting a job it does seem to be common here that the employer doesn't pay these fees. You do get a tax deduction for them when doing your taxes though if you pay them yourself! But don't just assume that they will be paid, probably best to ask at the negotiation stage if you are offered a job.

So in terms of CAI, when my renewal came up this year, they gave me a working abroad rate of E100. But I had to get a letter of good standing from CPA Ontario sent to them and I think I had to send my contract to confirm my employment here.

I started the process with CPA, Ontario about 2 months I think before I left Ireland, it takes a wee while for them to process, 8 weeks I think. Try to plan it though so that you're in Canada before you get accepted. That way you can claim the $700 odd joining fee against your income tax return. You can only claim it if it's paid after you're resident in Canada. I guess if you waited until getting here to apply you might be able to claim the $300 application fee on your taxes. I didn't so I couldn't claim it, but for the amount of tax you'd save on it I figured it was better to be applying for jobs saying that my application was in!

If you have any other questions just let me know! :)

Cheers for the reply.

With your experience, you will walk into a job back home so at least you have that. Plenty of stories for the water cooler too from your time in Canada!

Just sat the FAEs so I'll be about a month in Canada when the results come out. Do you still get to use the Canadian designation even if you haven't completed the course yet? Those fees are quite steep but would be manageable as long as you had the CA for getting a job in the first place.

Is the course just a couple of lectures on Canadian tax and law, sort of like a CPD day or is there also an exam at the end? With that assessment fee of $282.50, do you have to do an actual assessment or is that just them confirming with CAI? Wondering should I bring some notes over if an exam is needed.

I've served my time in practice so the other option doesn't appeal to me at this stage. From what I read, it looks like it you need it for signing off on accounts which I wouldn't be able to do anyway without 2 years post qualification experience.

RichFTW wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply.

With your experience, you will walk into a job back home so at least you have that. Plenty of stories for the water cooler too from your time in Canada!

Just sat the FAEs so I'll be about a month in Canada when the results come out. Do you still get to use the Canadian designation even if you haven't completed the course yet? Those fees are quite steep but would be manageable as long as you had the CA for getting a job in the first place.

Is the course just a couple of lectures on Canadian tax and law, sort of like a CPD day or is there also an exam at the end? With that assessment fee of $282.50, do you have to do an actual assessment or is that just them confirming with CAI? Wondering should I bring some notes over if an exam is needed.

I've served my time in practice so the other option doesn't appeal to me at this stage. From what I read, it looks like it you need it for signing off on accounts which I wouldn't be able to do anyway without 2 years post qualification experience.

No worries. Aye that's what I'm thinking. You're at the right level for going. I'd to take a few steps back in the job I took and that's what's getting to me the most. Canadian's don't count experience outside of Canada, which can be frustrating.

Aye you get to use the designation CPA, CA (they've just changed it to that) even though you haven't done the course, so it worked out well. The course is 20 hours online. From what I understand there's an assessment at the end of each module, I'm not sure how many modules there are, but you have to get 100% in each assessment to move to the next part. I think I read somewhere that it's multiple choice, so I'm not too worried about the questions.

If it's anything like the webinars they do, there's a link in the bottom that allows you to open the 'test' in a separate window, so you can read the questions before the presentation and tick them off as you go along. At least that's what I'm hoping!!

The assessment fee is just what they call the fee they charge to look over your application. You don't have to do any sort of test or anything. They are just looking for your information from CAI.

As for notes it's up to you really. I'm not sure what I would bring notes on if I was to bring notes (bear in mind my FAEs were back in 2007 so they're a distant memory now!! haha)

I totally agree, I was out of the accounting firm as soon as I could go. Yeah that's it really, it just prevents you from signing off accounts so it's no big deal if you don't want to do that anyway.

If you go out West or into a bigger city I'm sure you'll have no bother getting a job. I've just had issues as I live in the Niagara Region so it's not prospering as much as the rest of the country!

Best of luck with it and any other questions let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Curious why? I like it here but struggling for cash and saving and blowing it all going home for xmas is kinda disheartening

It bored me...and I realised after the first 6 months that I definitely did not want to stay long term. The first trip home for Xmas for me confirmed that too. Stuck it out for 3 yrs as the other half did not want to leave and even went as far as applying for pr, although it was only to prolong the return for a few years. thankfully circumstances changed and we came back last yr

Earning one and a half times what I was in Canada, able to hang out with good friends and see family a lot more frequently. Ireland's not without its faults but im glad to be back

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Roundtd181

Totally agree with relativity.

I agree... if Canada was a colour it would be Magnolia... haha!

Yeah it kills me too, I'm 10/10 people guessing Scottish not Irish, which is fine, it's when they go 'same thing' I tend to see red!!

I was in the hairdressers last night and across from me the woman getting her hair done was telling her stylist she's going to Ireland next month. The stylist was telling her about her trip to Ireland and how she loved the fashion. The woman was like 'fashion, really in Ireland? I think of them all as country people' I'm not really sure what that was supposed to mean but I was not impressed. I felt like saying to her true just like Canadians are all Eskimos!! haha!

I can't pinpoint it either, it's like there's no life about the place or something. It's just all very bland, there's no atmosphere. People are just ticking along doing the same thing, and it's all very serious. I think for me it's the attitude. I know in Ireland we're a nation of moaners, but at the same time we make light of most things and do like a bit of a joke and can have a casual conversation with people. I find that lacking here, but maybe that's just me!

CBCB2 wrote: »
    Yeah it kills me too, I'm 10/10 people guessing Scottish not Irish, which is fine, it's when they go 'same thing' I tend to see red!!

I used to get a bit of this in work too. Once I started replying with "Could you repeat that? It's a bit hard to make out through your American accent" they soon stopped :)

I used to get a bit of this in work too. Once I started replying with "Could you repeat that? It's a bit hard to make out through your American accent" they soon stopped :)

I must start doing that!! Cheers!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Jesus Christ, you guys have a seriously overblown sense of importance for ireland. We're a blip on the radar to most countries. We're tiny. Canada is the second biggest country in the world. I've lived in the UK for years, and half the people there couldn't point to Dublin on a map. Why do you think the Canadians should know anything about us? Can you talk about Regina? Or Prince George? Do you know anything about Canadian history? Unless you can talk comfortably about every other country in the world, then don't judge some Canadians for not knowing much about ireland - and certainly don't use it as a stick to beat them with.

As for boredom, I'm genuinely surprised. I'm not even working yet and I'm busier than I would be in Ireland. There's an almost overwhelming choice of things to do and places to go. Sure, everyone's not spilling out of pubs every night, but why would you leave Ireland if pub culture is all you're after?

Advertisement