Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been in Canada 3 months now info inside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Sounds good Green- can I ask what youre doing / your years of experience.. I'm fresh outta college and afraid I wont get anything in my field... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

I'm 29, and I'm in IT - programming and data science. About 5 years experience. Most IT places here are looking for at least a years experience for Junior roles (in IT) - and my company is struggling to hire based on that requirement, but some of the bigger companies have entry level graduate positions. I was in public sector in Ireland, so was paid below market anyway, and with pension rates / high tax etc I was coming home with a lot less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Faith wrote: »
    Sounds like we're neighbours, green diesel!

Wages are much higher in my and my fiancé's fields here too. I'm not employed just yet, but I'm looking at earning about €10K a year more in Vancouver than Ireland (and I'd earn more again in any other Canadian city).

Kits is great! Seems to be lots of Irish about, my landlord gave us first option on the apartment simply because we are Irish and her previous tenants were Irish and the best tenants she'd had! Yay for ethnic profiling! :)

The guys in work say the really big money in IT is with the oil and gas companies in Alberta - But they'd never leave Vancouver because of the weather - everyone loves the rainy rather than snowy winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ellenellen

I'm here a few weeks now. I managed to secure a six week contract within a couple of days of arriving. I think I was just lucky with the timing of the job being posted and the fact that I had experience in quite a similar role. It definitely doesn't pay as much as I'm qualified to earn but I'm very grateful for it and because it's a Canadian company and im hoping a reference from them will help me secure something after it, even if it's just more contract work.

I think it would be quite hard to have a job lined up before coming over in retail or administration but I've talked to quite a few people who have easily gotten temp work through recruitment agencies they've joined once they arrived. I plan on joining one overt he next few weeks myself so I can get some work once my contract finishes. I'm also applying for volunteer work, just a few hours a week that will keep me busy while I'm searching as well a looking good on my resume.

Make sure you have the proper format for your resume when applying for work. It's also advisable to try and do it in person if possible and to always follow up on applications and interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I just moved down to TO after 8 weeks working at a camp. Am in a hostel for now, am hoping to sort work out in the next 2 weeks.
    Finding it hard to find somewhere to live though- especially as I'm on my own. A load of Irish in the hostel are moving in together next week, so I missed the boat there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Priv98

robbieVan wrote: »
    Same in Vancouver, towers going up everywhere they can put one it would seem. A new 54 storey apartment block has just been giving the go ahead yesterday too.

I was talking to a guy I know on a night out and he offered me a Plumbing apprenticeship straight up, he's very high up in a company that works on the towers, this was a saturday and he said I could start on the monday, no experience required, start on 14 bucks and increases very well every 6 months. I already have a job but thought it was crazy that jobs like that are being offered straight up. Hopefully it doesn't crash and fall on its arse like Ireland did. Government here seem to have their heads screwed on a little bit better though.

Hi Robbie

Are you by any chance still in touch with the guy who offered you the plumbing apprenticeship? My husband is a plumber, he is looking for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Priv98

Sam Swarek wrote: »
    Bernie Ahern was supposedly an accountant was he not?
    Well a lot of the guys that I know work indoors on the processing plants in the mines as electricians, plumbers, welders, fitters etc so the weather isn't the issue I think the pay and rotation and accommodation was not what they had been promised. I think that the rotation work has a shelf life of a year or 2 anyway, it's a tough slog and guys only do it because of the money but the money is great and no expenses as such, the problem is the boys going bananas on their time off and blowing their money which defeats the purpose of being up in the mines in the first place! I couldn't live or work in a rotation system for a month never mind a year!

Hi Sam

I know this is an old post but I just want to find out if you still in contact with "guys you know" that are plumbers. My husband is a plumber. He is looking for a job. For us to get a work permit my husband should get a job offer with LMO/LMIA. Please help if you can. Many thanks!

Just a quick update- I've been temping for 2 weeks (got sorted with that 3 days after I got here) and have now gotten a 3month contract in the financial industry for when that finishes. I basically canvassed recruitment agencies and set up half a dozen interviews with them- you have to beat the doors down (politely).

I've linked up with two Irish lads at our hostel now, and we're gonna attempt to find a place once they've found work.

I can't emphasise how important networking is- I'm a member of the Irish and New in Toronto group on FB (there's ones for every major city) and it's been invaluable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

It's been a while so I just though I'd blow the cobwebs off this thread & see how everyone is now?

Anyone feeling better about being here?

My own situation hasn't changed much, I wasn't able to secure a better job nor am I any further along with making friends here or having a social life. My IEC is up in June my partner and I have decided that we're heading back to Ireland. We're going to do some travelling but the plan is to be home in around September.

It's been an experience but I'm really looking forward to getting home! I hope it's going better for the rest of you! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

This post has been deleted.

Yeah pretty much the same. We're saving now for the summer, hoping on some good last minute deals.

Aye plan is to head for Dublin, I've been talking to a few recruitment agents already. It all sounds really positive. I've even had recruitment agents contact me on linkedin to ask if I'm planning to come back. Everyone at home has been saying you'd notice the change too.

So I'm just going to try to relax, enjoy the last few months of my job and really enjoy the summer!

Best of luck with your plans! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

I'm in Fortmcmurray at the minute. My visa isn't up until next April but I'm going home in August to study again even though I'm 28. Isn't for me at all plus I can't hack working with these Canadians anymore, driving me nuts. They have their own laid back lifestyle which I hate, didn't plan on staying long term anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

15 months back, done miss it at all.
    In fact I look back at the near 3 years I spent in Canada as a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Solasdeas

I'm the opposite, moved from Saskatchewan to Halifax in June last year and we are planning to stay here longterm. Work is getting better, the people are lovely here and there's more for us to do. Dublin is just too expensive for us and there is no hope of us getting mortgage there.
    Different strokes for different folks! Found meet-up groups a good way to meet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Indeed. A lot of Irish love it and want to stay long term, it's what you make of it. I only went to save some money up. If you're a joiner / spark or mechanic ect, you're laughing especially in Alberta / Saskatchewan!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

retalivity wrote: »
    15 months back, done miss it at all.
    In fact I look back at the near 3 years I spent in Canada as a waste.

Surely the experience of living in a different country can't be seen as a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Solasdeas

I hated my time in Saskatchewan, if I had to stay there longterm I'd be on the first flight home! Alberta might be nicer if you looking for that kind of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I returned home from Toronto before xmas after 18 months. Rarely do I think of my time there.
    V happy to be home. I honestly dont know why I stayed so long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Have been in Vancouver for 6 months and absolutely love it. We both got jobs - entry level, but FAR better paid than we would be at home. We've adapted really well to the lifestyle. We've got a great social life, with a mix of Irish and Canadian friends. The winter has been too mild for my liking, but I can hardly complain about it being a bit warm! Spring is arriving and there are cherry blossom trees coming to life everywhere and when the sun shines, it's like nowhere else on earth. We live within a stones throw of shops, bars, restaurants and the beach. We can go for runs along the seawall in the evening or before work. Yes, the cost of living is high in certain regards, but when everything is added together, our rent + bills cost is lower than what it was in Cork. Tax and tips are a pain in the ass, for sure, but on the whole, I'd far rather stay in Vancouver than move back to Ireland ever.

I've been in Ontario for 6 months now.
    I'm loving Toronto, but am ready to come home. I never wanted to stay longer than a year anyway, so will be leaving at the end of June.
    Honestly I've been really lucky in terms of work- meeting with agencies was what did it for me. You need to be proactive and diligent, they get 100s of CVs every week, go on the charm offensive when you meet them.
    There's a fb page called Irish and New In Toronto (similar for other cities too) which is where I found my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

I'm back home since Xmas after being in Vancouver for 18 months and havent missed it one bit! The only thing I miss are a few buddies of mine but thats the height of it!

Back home, started up my own business, working away - Life's great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    I'm back home since Xmas after being in Vancouver for 18 months and havent missed it one bit! The only thing I miss are a few buddies of mine but thats the height of it!

Back home, started up my own business, working away - Life's great! :D

I thought North Van was a bit quieter. The place is really getting on my nerves again and would love to get back to Europe at some stage. I'll never own a place here.

All the best Scruffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Roundtd181

Been in Alberta for 20 months now, all in all I'm glad I came and experienced it. Made some lifelong friends and gained some good experience. Also saved a few pound working on camp work this
    Past 8 months but it's time to go home now as oil prices have slowed the province up big style. Definitely wouldn't stay here long time, find the lifestyle very boring and most Canadians get on my nerves but that is just a culture difference it ain't there fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

In Ontario since August 2013. My fiancé has family here! He's a citizen so sponsoring me for permanent residency at the moment. When that all goes through we might consider relocating to Nova Scotia or Newfoundland! I do miss home but it's good here and I'm not ready to move back to Ireland yet! Maybe in 5 years or so we'll see! Have 2 cats here as well and they are coming with us no matter where we go that's for sure!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

Alot of negatives about Canada here,i have to say i'm fully agreeing with those comments-came here to Vancouver last year for a change of lifestyle etc and wish i'd never came here,- expensive place,arrogant RACIST people,shi**y weather(summer was nice,but winter has been wet,wet wet,warm,hardly any snow). Lazy workers,with hugely self-inflated egos,and a drug culture that leaves Amsterdam trailing in it's wake

The wages are better but i've learned money certainly isn't everything,some nice places to see,but unless your wallet is the size of a suitcase forget about doing much-will see out the summer then we're off:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Yes, In Toronto it is tough to get off your feet. People who thought they'd be handed a job are morons.

As far as Canadian and Toronto life goes, it has its pros and cons like anywhere.

I personally love the lifestyle in the city, although it is very much a businessy 9 to 5 kinda city, people do not let this limit them. However this means there is less of the big massive Saturday night blowouts like you get in Ireland. I prefer that as I get into my late twenties.

Agree with the work stuff, if you go into a big company it is very cut throat, and full of egotism. You will have to accept you won't be moving as fast because you're Irish. Accept that there will be lazier, less talented Canadians working above you.

Personally I think the bar route is the way to go if you're only there for a few years. You earn $1000 a week in a decent half busy bar, and that's take home tips in cash!! you'd have to be earning $80,000 a year in a business here to earn that, and few if any Irish no matter your experience will get that kind of gig so soon after moving.

Canada is as good as the people you surround yourself with. I found the general suburbian Canadian to be so friendly, interested in what you have to say and so welcoming. Like any city, if you hover around downtown you will bump into mostly assholes.

I made friends for life, and have a job for life in Canada if I ever choose to go back. the first 4/5 months are tough if you're trying to set up for a few years, I won't lie but you can have a great time in Toronto if you give it a chance and open yourself up to new things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Liam90 wrote: »
    Surely the experience of living in a different country can't be seen as a waste.

I've lived abroad in a number of countries, only see Canada as a waste as I spent a large part of my late twenties bored in a country with little to no friends and nothing to do apart from working 9-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Seen as this thread has sprung to life again I'll give my tuppence for what it's worth

So I moved here in November.. Didn't expect to get a job until after Christmas.. I was happy enough to spend time with family I have over here. Applied for what was available but didn't expect much back. Come January I got on the job hunting search, now the end of Feb and no interviews despite applying for 50+ office/retail jobs and 20-25 more specific jobs in my field of study.

So I got onto a friend of mine and she's looking over my CV I have it changed to the Canadian format but it needs to be way more interesting than an Irish one from what I can see. Now I never expected to just come and get a job but I thought after 7+ years of retail experience at home I'd find something fairly easy (how stupid of me :rolleyes:) Though I planned for not having a job for a good while so I guess I'm not stuck but it is a bit demoralising.

What I'd say to anyone planning to come is come with as much savings as you possibly can, easier for some than for others!

I am loving it though! Even though I'm not doing a whole lot I'm going to the Irish things, meeting up with a few people and spending time with people I haven't seen since I was a kid. The weather has been fantastic IMO, bit of rain but nothing that we Irish can't handle and personally I'm impressed with the transport and think that will be the killer when I do go back to Ireland.

The quality of living is fairly high but if you know where to go / how to get the deals it's a pretty awesome city to live in! (IGA, Safeway, and London Drugs do specials each week that are handy to get, also CostCo is fun to shop in but you may need a van to bring home everything :P)

All in all I love the place and for anyone looking to get away from home for a bit, be it a year or two or long term it's defo worth a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

hi guys havent checked this post in ages, i came home after 18 months also and i dont miss it that much either!!!

It was a fantastic experience but dont go if you think youre gonna change your life dramatically!! Its an expensive country and Toronto isnt even the msot expensive place to live believe it or not so choose wisely!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

Canada is as good as the people you surround yourself with.

True words right here.

Moving back in July myself when my work permit expires. If you'd asked me what I thought of Canada a year after I moved I'd have said it was boring and that I couldn't wait to leave. Fast forward another year and I can say that was probably culture shock and homesickness talking - I've made some good (Canadian) friends here that I'll miss, and I love the city itself, but I don't like the dog-eat-dog work culture. I have very mixed feelings about going back (living a relatively skanger-free lifestyle gets comfortable). I can see myself coming back to visit often though - Toronto takes some work but if you can get used to its quirks (and have some cash behind you) there's a lot to love.

Advertisement