Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been in Canada 3 months now info inside

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I'm 28 this year and have worked in retail since I was 16! I got a job in Loblaws in Joe Fresh 2 weeks after arriving! Im looking to get out of retail & it's proving difficult!! But I'm glad I have a job and some money coming! I thought Id only be in Loblaws for a couple of months but now I'm there 18 months... Whoops!! The job search continues!! It's a big thing movin to a new county especially when you've lived in the same place all your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm definitely excited to go home at the end of June, but I don't want to spend my last few months running out the clock. I'm going to try to do as much fun stuff as I can while I'm still here, like going skiing next weekend and going to Montreal at some stage. Also going to attempt to get down to Chicago if I can to see some friends.

I was chatting to an Irish friend in work the other day and we both agreed that the homesickness was far more severe than either of us envisaged before coming here. We certainly weren't being mopey or feeling sorry for ourselves, but it was just an observation.

Folks on the way over this year- just be mindful that it does happen, and don't be too hard on yourself if it hits out of nowhere at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 musclefitguide

I wonder why people love bacon so much eh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Im moving over in may, ive been to oz already couldnt get sponsored so see how canada goes, i dont think id miss home cant stand it here and with flights releativily cheap going home for a week or 2 would do me just hope it works out each to their own tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Reading all these posts there is a mixture of good and bad things about Canada, My son will be finished in Maynooth University at the end of May, he will be heading over to Vancouver to his girlfriend, she is Canadian, hopefully he will get work for a few months in Victoria which he said is not as expensive as Vancouver, all going well with exams he will have a degree BA (hons) international degree in computers and german, he also speaks fluent Spanish, would there be many jobs for people who can speak different languages

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

It's more French speaking Blackbird than anything, especially in Montreal. I had a missus out here for a few months who was fluent in Spanish as was her family so there's a few Spanish around. I'm planning on going home next year to get back studying Engineering in the South. All the best to your son!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

homesickness was far more severe than either of us envisaged before coming here.

This.... I don't know that I'm homesick because I've no desire to go home but I do miss one or two friends terribly! Be prepared, and that said there's not much you can do about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Stinjy wrote: »
    This.... I don't know that I'm homesick because I've no desire to go home but I do miss one or two friends terribly! Be prepared, and that said there's not much you can do about it!

A mate told me that you'll miss stuff you weren't even aware of liking- like when I got an awful craving for brown bread and strawberry jam about 4 months in!! I don't even like brown bread that much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

How about giving Malta a go, nice and sunny and close to home with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

ciaran67 wrote: »
    I thought North Van was a bit quieter. The place is really getting on my nerves again and would love to get back to Europe at some stage. I'll never own a place here.

All the best Scruffy.

Awe man I loved North Van! Glad im not there at the minute as there building a new high rise next to our building on 1st! Might be back in the summer for a holiday as I have a wedding on Grouse Mountain and I want go surfing in Tofino again!

Cheers for your help and insights over the last 2 years Ciaran :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Awe man I loved North Van! Glad im not there at the minute as there building a new high rise next to our building on 1st! Might be back in the summer for a holiday as I have a wedding on Grouse Mountain and I want go surfing in Tofino again!

Cheers for your help and insights over the last 2 years Ciaran :D

Saw that yesterday morning. You should of seen it along there 15 years ago, shipyards and Xfiles sets. Hopefully the insights weren't all negative, the jobs been getting on my thrupenny bits!

Taken a minute ago of N Van :)

b54fet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Saw that yesterday morning. You should of seen it along there 15 years ago, shipyards and Xfiles sets. Hopefully the insights weren't all negative, the jobs been getting on my thrupenny bits!

Taken a minute ago of N Van :)

b54fet.jpg

What the hell is thrupenny bits?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

el diablo wrote: »

lol.. sorry went all Danny Dyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

el diablo wrote: »

Cockney slang for t*ts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Can anyone share exactly what happens when arrive at immigration at Toronto, specifically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

GrumPy wrote: »
    Can anyone share exactly what happens when arrive at immigration at Toronto, specifically?

From my own experiences:

Land
    Walk through to the first desk, quick chat with the person, tell them you've got your paperwork for a work permit on IEC, get the card that was handed out to you to fill in on the plane marked with a pink marker and told to go through to the immigration office
    Wait in line for a bit
    Walk up to the desk when called
    Show your POE letter thingy
    Answer a few questions about any previous convictions, ever been disallowed into Canada before
    Stand around while the chap enters some info
    Get your work permit stapled into your passport and your visa stamped in
    Leave immigration area
    Go get your baggage
    Hand the amended slip you filled out on the plane to the chaps collecting them before the exit

Been that exact process for me twice on IECs, once on an intra-company transfer (needed additional documentation and to pay $100, I think, for my paperwork for that) and once for an LMO (another $100 I think for the paperwork. Never once been asked for proof of funds or insurance, and the process has never taken more than a few minutes once I got up to speak to an immigration officer

Advertisement