Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been in Canada 3 months now info inside

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Thank god I'm not the only one noticing how overrated this place is! Drives me mental when people say they love it only to find out that they are living on a shoe string budget, living in a dump and working just to make ends meet.

Being on 20-25% less salary here, a high cost of living and the people, although they are extremely nice a friendly, are kinda boring! Well east coasters seem to be better craic, but by god the west coasters are as dry! From my experience anyway.

As soon as I've gone snowboarding, visited Whistler (properly) Vegas & San Fran I think I'll be happy to go back to Ireland (or UK).

Although I will miss wreck beach, yam fries, wings nights and the visually disappearance of knackers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

I agree totally Kev, I was so relieved to find this thread, cheers to the OP. :) I don't think I ever would have been brave enough to say anything but I'm so glad to find out I'm not the only one.

Ah I think the East Coasters are as bad. I was warned before I came here that it was boring, it sure is. Everyone seems to talk about property, renovations, hockey, football & 'getting ahead'.

Best of luck with the rest of your travels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

Have any of ye been to Montreal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ive been to montreal for a weekend, seems like a cool place. definitely more of a european feel to it than anywhere in ontario. didnt meet much people other than the ones we were with, so couldnt comment too much on them.

and to repeat what others have said, i too have found a lot of the canadians I have met to be very dull, and it doesn't get anymore interesting after ~3 years

My ladyfriend is from Montreal so I was lucky enough to have an inside track into the Quebec culture and I have found the people the opposite of what you have outlined above. What must be said though is that they have your feelings about the Rest of Canada or the ROCk as I have heard it referred to. The term Squareheads is used alot in referring to all those west of Quebec - they go easy on the east coasters because they sound funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

Just curiously, for all the people on this thread talking about earnings/scraping by/high tax rates: where exactly are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Canada is what you make of it! It's different to Ireland but some people tend to arrive over thinking jobs are easy to find and that Canadians are all like John Candy. The truth is that just like a Canadian coming to Ireland and living in Dublin, a walk around our city centre will no doubt make them dread where they have moved. I met a New Zealand girl who spent 6 of her worst months of her life in Dublin, It's like anywhere really. I feel sorry for that poster who moved over to St.Catherines, I can't imagine many Irish there and it's probably hugely expensive.

Phonehead wrote: »
    Canada is what you make of it! It's different to Ireland but some people tend to arrive over thinking jobs are easy to find and that Canadians are all like John Candy. The truth is that just like a Canadian coming to Ireland and living in Dublin, a walk around our city centre will no doubt make them dread where they have moved. I met a New Zealand girl who spent 6 of her worst months of her life in Dublin, It's like anywhere really. I feel sorry for that poster who moved over to St.Catherines, I can't imagine many Irish there and it's probably hugely expensive.

I definitely second this - there is probably a similar post somewhere on internetland of someone who moved to Lanesboro and giving out about what a total expensive dump Ireland is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

willabur wrote: »
    I definitely second this - there is probably a similar post somewhere on internetland of someone who moved to Lanesboro and giving out about what a total expensive dump Ireland is.

Its what migration does to you. You can either deal with it or spend your time comparing it with your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

I think whatever your case is, whether you like Canada or not its important to remember that at least you gave it a go! You wont look back in years to come and regret not doing it! I havnt had a chance to do much 'fun' stuff since iv come here and am realising how good my life in Ireland really was but that said in a years time I can go back home and not have any regrets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Also just one tip regarding making friends here, you really have to make an effort! Canada is one big pot of every nationality and sometimes in can be hard to find common interests with people. When I first arrived, and for the first year I just hung out with Irish people, to me at that point Canada really didn't seem all that special, I liked it but it was just the same old routine just a different city and a smaller group of people to do it with. Then through work I started to mix and slowly made friends with non Irish, also as we both are runners my Fiance joined a running club, what an excellent way to meet people and it's also very social. There are also a host of other activity clubs that people can join, It's very different to how we make friends in Ireland but generally you have to get comfortable with putting yourself out there and walking into a room and just chatting to people about common interests.

You don't have to do all this though and like many Irish here, you can just hang out with other Irish people and still have a really good time. Personally though I've done so many more new and fun things with my Canadian friends, such as camping and hiking in the National Parks, kayaking, canoeing, cycling, winter sports etc... not saying Irish people won't or don't do this but we don't tend to be as adventorous and do as many outdoors activities as the Canadians and the draw of the pub is more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

CBCB2 wrote: »
    I agree totally Kev, I was so relieved to find this thread, cheers to the OP. :) I don't think I ever would have been brave enough to say anything but I'm so glad to find out I'm not the only one.

Ah I think the East Coasters are as bad. I was warned before I came here that it was boring, it sure is. Everyone seems to talk about property, renovations, hockey, football & 'getting ahead'.

Best of luck with the rest of your travels!

The Canucks are obsessed with renovations! Everybody seems to be constantly updating some part of the house....and doing all the work themselves, from tiling to electrical!
    In general they are fairly dry, but in my experience they are dead sound and don't take themselves too seriously. Depends where you are too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Baraboy78

yes im heading to alberta..im an electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

retalivity wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of people say that Niagara Falls is a lot like Vegas (I've never been), with half the glitz and glamour but all of the social ills (Homelessness, degenerate gambling, etc).

I must say I find the Niagara region depressing. The Falls stand out because the surrounding countryside is dead flat. Niagara Falls itself is a tacky old place. The whole vineyard thing is way overrated too. I enjoyed the Botanical Gardens the most on my visits there.

CBCB2 wrote: »

The East Coast is quite different IMO esp. Newfoundland - much friendlier. I may be biased because I live here! Unfortunately, we have a property boom at the moment as well.

Renos are easier here, partly because the houses are made of wood and plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I've been here since May. I find it very much overrated as well. Its obviously working out for some people but a simple look at the 'Irish new in Toronto' forum on Facebook and you see a huge amount of posts from people selling furniture less than 6 months old as they are heading home. What does that tell you?

If someone back in Ireland asked if its a good idea to make the move, I would only suggest so if they were intending on working in the construction or services industry. If they were intending on working in marketing or finance for example, I would mention that they would need to be prepared to take a step backwards for like a year or even 2, and a pay cut just to get the valuable Canadian experience. (Biggest load of bull I have ever heard) It's tough taking a pay cut when your living in a more expensive city than Dublin

Apart from the way the job market works, I am enjoying myself here. Its a nice city, with plenty to do. The people aren't hugely exciting with an odd sense of humor...I dont just mean the not getting the whole sarcasm thing. They are very friendly though as the stereotype goes.
    The bars are very tame and quite expensive once you factor in the tax as well as the tip! I find myself going out a lot less and spending my time doing Canadian stuff which pf course is a good thing.

I think people need to realise that the whole of Canada is not in fact booming. Everyone on this site seems to think the only two places to go in Canada are Toronto and Vancouver. These are two of the most expensive places in the country and neither city is over flowing with job opportunities. I find it silly when I here people talk about it, but the best place to go is far and away Alberta. Great lifestyle and great pay. Anywhere else and I think your almost half setting yourself up for a fail.

Anyway that is just my thinking on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I arrived in Canada on the 3rd of August! I'm living in Kingston Ontario. My boyfriend has family here, he also has Canadian citizenship. He moved over in October 2012. I find it more expensive here for some stuff. There's a Massive university here so rent can be high. Our 1 bedroom apartment is $964 including parking and hydro. We have landline/tv/Internet which is $130 a month.

I got a job 2 weeks after arriving in Loblaws, working in the Joe Fresh Department. Making less then I was at home (after 5 years in Dunnes Stores!) but I'm still looking. My boyfriend has a permanent job in Scotiabank. There are a lot of jobs going up on the websites on a daily basis, I've applied for a few but not really trying! Don't go out here as much as at home. Instead we go to Boston Pizza and have dinner and drinks which I love! Don't know any Irish people yet but it's good to be out of my comfort zone.

The thing I find crazy bout here is the student debt! College costs crazy bad some girls that work with my boyf have $30000 in students loans. Me & my boyf aren't making the big bucks but we are getting by. Some days I see myself settling down here. Other days I wanna go home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

jiminho wrote: »
    I find it silly when I here people talk about it, but the best place to go is far and away Alberta. Great lifestyle and great pay. Anywhere else and I think your almost half setting yourself up for a fail.

For anyone who's coming to Alberta.....Just make sure you're prepared for the cold (-40 degrees Celsius yesterday morning in central Alberta.(with wind chill.);)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    For anyone who's coming to Alberta.....Just make sure you're prepared for the cold (-40 degrees Celsius yesterday morning in central Alberta.(with wind chill.);)

It was cold but it wasn't that cold mate ;)

Something to talk about tho lol

• Advertisement

I find it silly when I here people talk about it, but the best place to go is far and away Alberta. Great lifestyle and great pay. Anywhere else and I think your almost half setting yourself up for a fail.

Anyway that is just my thinking on the matter.

For people with the right skills, there are jobs all over the country. Alberta may be a good place to start in Canada - and a great spot to save some money if you are careful - but it will not be to everyone's taste as a long-term destination. For starters, the politicians are right-wing loonies over there, in my opinion, far to the right of anybody in Ireland - and somebody is voting for them. Even with global warming, Alberta has cold winters. Calgary's grass is brown much of the year and the fires of the oil sands (formerly tar sands) look like something out of the Lord of the Rings. I think of it as a young person's place.

So I would say, consider places beyond Vancouver, Toronto...and even Alberta. Saskatchewan is doing well these days and the interior of BC (e.g. Kelowna) has some of the best scenery anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Yes it was (with wind chill). Early yesterday morning in some parts of central Alberta. I'm not talking about Calgary which is relatively mild.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Yes it was (with wind chill). Early yesterday morning in some parts of central Alberta. I'm not talking about Calgary which is relatively mild.

Well I live in Red Deer and the coldest it got yesterday was -25 with windchill. It's only gone down to -40 a handful of times i've been here. But yes it was quite cold yesterday

Ardillaun wrote: »
    For people with the right skills, there are jobs all over the country. Alberta may be a good place to start in Canada - and a great spot to save some money if you are careful - but it will not be to everyone's taste as a long-term destination. For starters, the politicians are right-wing loonies over there, in my opinion, far to the right of anybody in Ireland - and somebody is voting for them. Even with global warming, Alberta has cold winters. Calgary's grass is brown much of the year and the fires of the oil sands (formerly tar sands) look like something out of the Lord of the Rings. I think of it as a young person's place.

So I would say, consider places beyond Vancouver, Toronto...and even Alberta. Saskatchewan is doing well these days and the interior of BC (e.g. Kelowna) has some of the best scenery anywhere.

I completely agree, I don't think my point came across well. Since I've been over , a lot of the time i get asked "where's best: Toronto or Vancouver" and it's not till i mentioned Alberta that they consider it. I just think a lot of Irish are under the wrong impression of Canada. They think it will take them no time to get a job (I think 8 weeks is how long a lot of ppl wait before they get a job), that they will get paid more (the majority of jobs you will get paid more but don't expect if your going for a behind the till job or bartender to get much more), that it will be cheaper over here (besides Toronto and Vancouver, in general it is cheaper over here but it all depends where you live. Comparing rent between downtown Vancouver and Galway is an unfair comparison) and that life in general is greener on the other side.

That's just all i was trying to get at. I just think a lot of people need to take a step back and be realistic. It's never going to be easy moving country and I just hope that people have thought about everything before they leave. We've got quite a contingent over here so there is a support network for anyone who needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

More like something to complain about lol

More like something to complain about lol

As long as no skin is in contact with the surrounding air..........you're grand :p

That's just all i was trying to get at. I just think a lot of people need to take a step back and be realistic. It's never going to be easy moving country and I just hope that people have thought about everything before they leave. We've got quite a contingent over here so there is a support network for anyone who needs it.

I certainly found it hard at first. After 27 years here, I have come to realize that I'll never be fully Canadian and I'm not Irish anymore so there's that too. It's a big step.

Re TO and esp. Vancouver, most Canadians would consider these places too expensive to move to.

Anyway, if any of ye have the dubious luck of landing in Newfoundland, and need any help, give me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

I agree with everything Jiminho is saying. Some people just willy nilly pick a city because of its reputation as a city. Of course people would pick a place like Vancouver (for example) because it has a great reputation as being one of the top cities in the world etc etc. Sure why would you pick Regina or Red Deer or Calgary or Edmonton when you could live in Vancouver or Toronto. But you have to be realistic and think outside the box and research what cities has the better job prospects for your field. At the end of the day aren't most of us here to pursue our careers?! Many Canadians move FROM the big cities like Van or Tor TO the smaller cities that have better job opportunities. Obviously there are people on here who are the exception and have managed to find their dream jobs in the big cities but they are a minority I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I think people need to realise that you're not going get your dream job with a 1 or 2 year visa.

• Advertisement

shouldn't really talk in absolutes, I got my ideal job after 2 weeks and I am here on the 2 year visa.

Advertisement