Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been in Canada 3 months now info inside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Sam Swarek wrote: »
    Bernie Ahern was supposedly an accountant was he not?

Random bit of useless information, he claimed to be an Accountant but never actually sat his final exams. That's why the Accounting bodies couldn't take any disciplinary action against him (CAI had to put an investigation into Fitzpatrick & co on hold at the DPPs request pending prosecutions as they're qualified accountants).

This is why the accounting bodies are pushing for the regulation of the term accountants:

http://www.charteredaccountants.ie/en/Mobile/News/?depth=1&srcid=129058

I think it doesn't matter what a policians background is once they become a politican they loose all sight of the real world and end up all the same.

I too worry about the economy here, they levels of personal debt for Canada are getting higher by the day, so in addition to the property situation it smells like Ireland 2005-2007.

I get the same defense from the Canadians 'our resources will save us'. Well that's not true if the economy is build on borrowings! But that's my opinion!

Hopefully for everyone's sake when the correction comes it's not too big and the so called 'prudent' banks are actually shown to be prudent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cburns37

Evening folks

Providing I get my IEC visa this year, planning to move out to Vancouver later on in the year, probably around March/April time. Im going to be moving with my girlfriend, who happens to be from the states, so will be stopping off there first..

This summer, I will be (hopefully) graduating with a BSc in Accountancy. Anyone know what the job market like is for college graduates in that field, or any financial field??

2nd Q... What sort of jobs/companies do people recommend for instant starting work? Id take anything tbh.. Just dont wana be sitting on my arse for months on end!

Any reply would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Sam Swarek

cburns37 wrote: »
    Evening folks

Providing I get my IEC visa this year, planning to move out to Vancouver later on in the year, probably around March/April time. Im going to be moving with my girlfriend, who happens to be from the states, so will be stopping off there first..

This summer, I will be (hopefully) graduating with a BSc in Accountancy. Anyone know what the job market like is for college graduates in that field, or any financial field??

2nd Q... What sort of jobs/companies do people recommend for instant starting work? Id take anything tbh.. Just dont wana be sitting on my arse for months on end!

Any reply would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

I know a lot of the banks here are recruiting graduates right now seems to be a lot of vacancies all over Canada dunno what money etc be like but it could be a start.
    You'll always pick up bar work, if you have no experience then get some before you come over and then there is always construction and warehouse labouring positions, don't worry, you won't be without work but it may take time to find the job that your after

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cburns37

I know a lot of the banks here are recruiting graduates right now seems to be a lot of vacancies all over Canada dunno what money etc be like but it could be a start.
    You'll always pick up bar work, if you have no experience then get some before you come over and then there is always construction and warehouse labouring positions, don't worry, you won't be without work but it may take time to find the job that your after

Cheers for the reply Sam.. Was looking on craigslist, seems to be a mountain of office(esqe) type jobs.. Just need to get the head down and pester them!!

Idea is to do all my job researching etc when im over the border in the states, far handier with the time zones etc.. Thankfully have over 5+ years experience of bar work. Also got 2 best mates who moved over in April, and a cousin who lives in whistler, so hopefully their contacts come into use..

Know too many lads that have made the move over, and picky as fcuk over their starting job.. Take what you can get, while still looking for your main job!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Right, so im home in Ireland at the minute for xmas and to be honest my whole opinion has changed! I got home Tuesday and by Thursday I wanted to jump on the plane again and fly back out! There really is nothing here about from friends and family!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭robbieVan

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Right, so im home in Ireland at the minute for xmas and to be honest my whole opinion has changed! I got home Tuesday and by Thursday I wanted to jump on the plane again and fly back out! There really is nothing here about from friends and family!

I'm the same, here since sunday, friends and family i'm grateful are here but there is nothing else really going on, same old faces in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

same anywhere no? stay long enough and deja vu kicks in!
    same in van im sure.

zweton wrote: »
    same anywhere no? stay long enough and deja vu kicks in!
    same in van im sure.

ah not compared to the small town i'm from !

there's enough to keep you going in Van unless you're just interested in spending your off time drinking, enough places to fly to or bus to for cheap enough too on weekends

but comparing a big city to a town of 10k people obviously there is no comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

robbieVan wrote: »
    ah not compared to the small town i'm from !

there's enough to keep you going in Van unless you're just interested in spending your off time drinking, enough places to fly to or bus to for cheap enough too on weekends

but comparing a big city to a town of 10k people obviously there is no comparison
    I went from Sydney to my home town off 2000 so I know exactly how you feel, not quiet as exciting or varied

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Scruffy19 wrote: »

That's good to hear! I arrived in Aug and had my first Christmas away from Ireland. It was lovely & I didn't feel too homesick. I guess everything really is still the same over there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    @Ciaran, Granville Island have some savage beers! Do you not like em or is it the hangover you don't like?

Some of them do taste nice but its the hangovers... they kill me 'ead mate.

Just back from week in Mexico, all inclusive. Absolutely bleeding top notch, 3.5 hours flight as well. Two years ago i was unemployed back home in Clapham Jct - Weird how life can spin around.

To all. Have a successful new year whether it be here or back in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I find this thread interesting especially the fact that many miss things about home they thought they wouldn't and I am not talking about friends and family. I suppose people get sucked into the hype that a place like Canada the streets are paved with gold and that easy money can be had just by turning up. Reality is very different. I think also it is interesting in the context of the negative dialogue we Irish love to perpetuate in Ireland. There are many who get sucked into the Joe Duffy type narrative that Ireland is a "dump" and "sure we can't to anything right, hand over the whip!" I am glad that people are now seeing things as they are that Ireland does actually have very very many positive things going for it. Of course there are also things that annoy the hell out of us (for me its the negative spin we put on everything) however I see hope, hope as in probably the majority of people who are mainly young who travel to places like Canada, OZ, NZ and so on are actually doing so on a temporary basis and will more or likely end up back in Ireland to live permanently. Hopefully these young people will form a bedrock of positive thinking and doing rather unlike the older generation.

It was mentioned that we are not a serious people and in some ways that is very good but when you want to run a country and create long term policies through elected government that does not always bode well. Its a catch 22. Sure the country would be better run if we had German style self control but the place would be as boring as hell. Then again do we want to see a return to Bertie and Co?

Anyway, the main point I wanted to make that I hope people take from this thread and their experience abroad in Canada and elsewhere is that Ireland is not the dump its made out to be in the domestic media. Remember Ireland is a rich country with great folklore, history, music, landscapes, culture and food/drink. It may not suit everyone but the same goes for everyplace. There is no utopia on earth. Canada too is a rich country in its own right that offers opportunity and a quality of life that is up there in the top 1% of the world. If you don't like it then fair enough, I just hope you know how lucky you are not being stuck in an actual dump in some god forsaken corner of the world like Russia, China or any other country where people struggle each day just to feed themselves. I just hope it puts all this in perspective.

Have a good year everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 inishowenguy1

sorry if im off topic here but its so hard to get information! im new to all this so go easy on me :) im 20 years old currently finishing my level 3 diploma in site carpentry. when I finish up I don't want to sit around on the dole rotting! even getting some1 to take me on for work experience for the 3 year course has been a nightmare there is just no work in Ireland .i was just wondering if I moved to Canada with my qualification would I be able to get work ?I have a brother in the oil sands out there but I would love to continue my trade, any one with any knowledge of the construction industry in Canada would be a great help and thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

sorry if im off topic here but its so hard to get information! im new to all this so go easy on me :) im 20 years old currently finishing my level 3 diploma in site carpentry. when I finish up I don't want to sit around on the dole rotting! even getting some1 to take me on for work experience for the 3 year course has been a nightmare there is just no work in Ireland .i was just wondering if I moved to Canada with my qualification would I be able to get work ?I have a brother in the oil sands out there but I would love to continue my trade, any one with any knowledge of the construction industry in Canada would be a great help and thanks in advance

Hi, trades like carpentry and construction are highly in demand in Canada at the moment and have been for some time. You are probably the last person that would have to change the line of work to get a job! You can ask around here, google it, but trades are highly sought after in Canada at the moment. :)

p.s. Besides the usual International Experience Class (IEC) visa that most of us apply for, you are likely eligible to apply under another visa type, perhaps skilled immigration. Look into that!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 inishowenguy1

hey , yeah I have looked into the skilled worker visa its just I haven't the work record for it , on paper im trained but just need to get the proper experience but ther aint work in Ireland to get it. im afraid if I go out ill be seen as unemployable due to lack of experience or jus as a labourer. been looking into the IEC and think im going to go it alone and not through a 3rd party like go4less. my head is melted with it all who new getting on a plane was so hard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Seen as you are only 20 years old, you would be best to utilise the U-35 IEC open work visa. This allows you to get out to Canada and get working. You will have no problems picking up Carpentry work in Western Canada (Saskatchewan, Alberta & BC). Don't know if your qualification will be recognized in Canada as i am not familiar with it. This being recognised would open up the option for you to stay long term by becomming a Permanent Resident.

ibh wrote: »
    Seen as you are only 20 years old, you would be best to utilise the U-35 IEC open work visa. This allows you to get out to Canada and get working. You will have no problems picking up Carpentry work in Western Canada (Saskatchewan, Alberta & BC). Don't know if your qualification will be recognized in Canada as i am not familiar with it. This being recognised would open up the option for you to stay long term by becomming a Permanent Resident.

pack a scarf

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Sam Swarek

Really think about Canada before you come, Ireland isn't as bad as what people make it out to be believe me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

ciaran67 wrote: »
    pack a scarf

It's a balmy 7deg in Calgary today so it's more like a t-shirt ;-)
    Mind you it is going to be -26 on Sunday!

Really think about Canada before you come, Ireland isn't as bad as what people make it out to be believe me!

Its not a popularity contest. Its all about jobs.

I'd be back in Europe in a flash if I could get a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Its not a popularity contest. Its all about jobs.

I'd be back in Europe in a flash if I could get a good job.

That's not true for everyone. I had a much better job in Ireland and was much better paid.

The Canada I'm in is very different from the one I feel is 'sold' at home but every person's experience is different.

No harm in advising someone to think it through!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Are jobs not on the rise in Ireland? I was in Ireland at Christmas. Back in the US now. While there most of my friends that were unemployed are all working now and have been talking about vacations like they got some disposable income. 2 lads moved back from Australia as they got plumbing jobs to do with the water meters or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Are jobs not on the rise in Ireland?

I've heard this as well since i've come back. Think its starting to pick back up slowly. Scotland and England is booming at the minute.

Have a mate in Calgary who's home for Christmas and he was offered work in Scotland and England from his old boss. He has two years work on at the minute over there. So hes coming home for good in May to start with him again.

Me and another mate were in the smoking room of the pub last week and some guy asked him for a lighter. They got talking and after 5 mins the guy offered him work in 8 months in Scotland. He's finding it hard to find anybody looking to do the work.

Both of these guys are carpenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

Just catching up with new posts over the past week.
    Its funny/interesting how people who went home to Ireland for xmas now have a totally different opinion and were happy to come back to Canada.. I hope whenever I do go home the end of this year, that I wont be feeling like that!!:confused:
    Ciaran and robbievan, so has your opinion now totally changed and you want to stay in Canada longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Cream Bun wrote: »
    Its funny/interesting how people who went home to Ireland for xmas now have a totally different opinion and were happy to come back to Canada.. I hope whenever I do go home the end of this year, that I wont be feeling like that!!:confused:
    Ciaran and robbievan, so has your opinion now totally changed and you want to stay in Canada longer?

Them feelings disappear quite quick. I've lived in the US, Mexico, Ireland and Canada at various stages of my life. Also travelled the world for 2 years. You get back to where you consider home and you feel down for a while because you're comparing a few days to perhaps a few months or years elsewhere. Once you back home you settle in after a few weeks and life goes on. I have called Ireland home and wished I was back there when I went back to America having really wanted to leave Ireland. But at one stage I also wanted to go back to America when in Ireland having really wanted to leave America. It's like some sort of grass is always greener syndrome. But in reality it's all the same grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

Them feelings disappear quite quick. I've lived in the US, Mexico, Ireland and Canada at various stages of my life. Also travelled the world for 2 years. You get back to where you consider home and you feel down for a while because you're comparing a few days to perhaps a few months or years elsewhere. Once you back home you settle in after a few weeks and life goes on. I have called Ireland home and wished I was back there when I went back to America having really wanted to leave Ireland. But at one stage I also wanted to go back to America when in Ireland having really wanted to leave America. It's like some sort of grass is always greener syndrome. But in reality it's all the same grass.

Yeah thats true, I suppose its a lesson, that no matter where you are living in the world, you still have to get up for work and cook dinner and go food shopping and all those things! (unless your on holidays!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Maybe its just me, but Im a year home from Australia and I would happily go back to Australia in the morning. Back in a small town where I see the same people every time I go out, only thing I enjoy here is playing rugby tbh. The longer Im here, the more I realise I have little in common with the people here as the lads Im friends with have all left to go somewhere else.
    So while I love my home town, I dont actually love being here

Cream Bun wrote: »

i come from a small small town, so the lack of things to do other than drink or get a takeaway is pretty ****.. i'm upset about leaving all my friends and family knowing that i possibly wont see them for another year and that sucks big time, looking forward to summer in vancouver for sure tho cause last year was really really fun, always something going on !

I've had great fun in ireland on this trip and was happy to be home for xmas.. going home at xmas is dangerous though because you get a false idea of everything, there was loads of people home and the pubs were packed and loads of family around but it is not gonna be like that in a week, gonna be quiet and a lot worse than it was when i was there so gotta keep that in mind

gonna go back to van for another year probably and build up my cv a bit more etc and then look at the possibly of going to uk maybe !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Lads, can you stop comparing small town Ireland to the likes of Vancouver, its ridiculous, of course there is no comparison.

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Lads, can you stop comparing small town Ireland to the likes of Vancouver, its ridiculous, of course there is no comparison.

should we compare it to dublin even though we don't live there so? and have no experience living there to compare it to? a lot of people are from small town ireland who would be leaving to cities in canada,

maybe we should all stop sharing our experiences unless we are from dublin?

this is an open forum, we can write whatever we want

Advertisement