Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been in Canada 3 months now info inside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cburns37

Lads... serious question here.

Im currently about to send away my ACRO police check. The options are:

£45 for 10 working day delivery
    £80 for 2 working day delivery..

When you go over a few pages, it says "UK next day delivery- £9.00 per applicant"

Am i missing something glaringly obvious, or why would you choose the £80 2day option over the £54 next day delivery???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

CBCB2 wrote: »
    That's not true for everyone. I had a much better job in Ireland and was much better paid.

The Canada I'm in is very different from the one I feel is 'sold' at home but every person's experience is different.

No harm in advising someone to think it through!

I completely agree. You'd be a right nugget if you don't think it through.

Ireland does seem particularly messed up right now though. But Canada does seem to be hiding its downturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭smokeyjoe123

Thought I'd share my experience about Canada too. I lived there for two years, having went over after college just to get some travelling experience and hopefully a decent job.

Anyway, it was quite different than expected. Firstly, if you live in any of the major cities, it is very difficult to get a "decent" job (anything requiring a college degree). Many jobs state that Canadian citizens are given first preference. Be prepared to slog it out in a minimum wage job for many months, unless you are going out with a definitive job offer. Also, nearly all employers want that elusive "Canadian Experience", whatever you worked at in any other country doesn't seem to concern most employers. I did crappy shop work for almost nine months before I landed a good job. There is massive youth unemployment, especially amongst college grads all over Canada

Good jobs generally pay good money and have great benefits. Unfortunately, this is offset by the cost of living. For example, 4 chicken fillets = $20, block of cheese = $8. The only thing cheaper were Levis Jeans and petrol! If you plan on staying for the long haul, don't expect to be able to buy a house for a while. The average house price in Vancouver is close to $1 million. Rent is also ridiculous, well over $1000 for any decent apartment and most places are unfurnished. If you want to drive in BC, you have to take the test again if you have an Irish licence. Cars are also stupidly expensive. I earn less back here in Ireland, but still have more disposable income.

Forget about USIT or any of those places guaranteeing you a visa. Just go onto the IEC website, print out the forms and instructions, send them off and wait. With USIT, I remember I travelled to their offices in Dublin and all they did was look at the forms I filled in and said "that's grand". 400 euro down the drain.

On the positive side, it was a great experience and I do not regret it for a minute. I got to work at stuff I would never get to work at in Ireland. I made friends for life. I got to see a lot of such a beautiful country and do a bit of travel to the US.

If I was to do it again, I would do way more research into the job situation and try and get a job before I left. My company offered to sponsor me for residency but I decided to head back to Ireland. That was one of the hardest decisions I ever made. Most people you ask will tell you they had an unreal time and it was amazing etc. Nobody is going to say they had a crap time or tell you all the negative things. Ireland is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be and I have learned not to take so many things for granted. At the end of the day, as many posters have already said, it just becomes the 9-5 routine only in a different city. Just remember that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Maybe it is if you are prepared to go the long haul but I am happy to be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Sam Swarek

Why was my last post removed???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

boards was down all day, they had to backup a copy of the db from 6.30am this morning, before your last post was made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Sam Swarek wrote: »
    Why was my last post removed???

I don't know why it was removed Sam but I have a copy in my email, as I get notifications for this thread. I really enjoyed reading your post, thanks for sharing. So I thought I'd repost for anyone who didn't get a chance, and it'll save you writing it out again!!

So for everyone else the below is from Sam! :)

"
    ---Quote (Originally by smokeyjoe123)---
    Thought I'd share my experience about Canada too. I lived there for two years, having went over after college just to get some travelling experience and hopefully a decent job.

Anyway, it was quite different than expected. Firstly, if you live in any of the major cities, it is very difficult to get a "decent" job (anything requiring a college degree). Many jobs state that Canadian citizens are given first preference. Be prepared to slog it out in a minimum wage job for many months, unless you are going out with a definitive job offer. Also, nearly all employers want that elusive "Canadian Experience", whatever you worked at in any other country doesn't seem to concern most employers. I did crappy shop work for almost nine months before I landed a good job. There is massive youth unemployment, especially amongst college grads all over Canada

Good jobs generally pay good money and have great benefits. Unfortunately, this is offset by the cost of living. For example, 4 chicken fillets = $20, block of cheese = $8. The only thing cheaper were Levis Jeans and petrol! If you plan on staying for the long haul, don't expect to be able to buy a house for a while. The average house price in Vancouver is close to $1 million. Rent is also ridiculous, well over $1000 for any decent apartment and most places are unfurnished. If you want to drive in BC, you have to take the test again if you have an Irish licence. Cars are also stupidly expensive. I earn less back here in Ireland, but still have more disposable income.

Forget about USIT or any of those places guaranteeing you a visa. Just go onto the IEC website, print out the forms and instructions, send them off and wait. With USIT, I remember I travelled to their offices in Dublin and all they did was look at the forms I filled in and said "that's grand". 400 euro down the drain.

On the positive side, it was a great experience and I do not regret it for a minute. I got to work at stuff I would never get to work at in Ireland. I made friends for life. I got to see a lot of such a beautiful country and do a bit of travel to the US.

If I was to do it again, I would do way more research into the job situation and try and get a job before I left. My company offered to sponsor me for residency but I decided to head back to Ireland. That was one of the hardest decisions I ever made. Most people you ask will tell you they had an unreal time and it was amazing etc. Nobody is going to say they had a crap time or tell you all the negative things. Ireland is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be and I have learned not to take so many things for granted. At the end of the day, as many posters have already said, it just becomes the 9-5 routine only in a different city. Just remember that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Maybe it is if you are prepared to go the long haul but I am happy to be back!
    ---End Quote---

Very well said, after being in Canada nearly 6 months I agree with what your saying, I'm earning more here than I was at home yet I've less of a disposable income?!

I think the economy here is a bit false as it's built on credit, the Canadians I know all buy and live on credit but think that it's fine and the economy will support this lifestyle forever.

While I find the Canadians friendly and welcoming to migrants, I think a lot of them are void of much personality and don't seem to understand quick wit or the likes.

I've found it hard to get interested in any of the Canadians passtimes, I don't think I'd enjoy spending my Saturday sitting on a frozen lake ice fishing in minus 50 weather for example.

Tipping for everything bugs me also, I don't mind leaving a tip for good service but for poor service why should I be expected to leave 20% on top of my bill?

Taxes are higher than I expected.
    When shopping, you see the price of something on a shelf or tag but this price excludes tax so when you go to pay for it, it's more!!

The weather - has to be seen to be believed, I havnt seen rain since I left Ireland but the intense cold is just unbearable, minus 40 - 50 most days here throughout winter, a season that lasts from October to May, the worse months being November to March inclusive, having to dig out my truck every morning and clean all the snow off it also the nice scrape it, the engine has to run for 20 mins at least before you drive it, all in minus 40 weather with upwards on 90% humidity, is just a bad start to the day. Your hair and nostrils freeze immediately as you go outside, no matter how warm you dress it still gets into you. I had to put special shrink wrapped plastic over all the windows (triple glazed windows) in my condo to keep out the cold as well as draft seal all under the doors.

I ask myself is this living? Is this a better life than what I've had in Ireland? Is there anything here that I can say is better than Ireland? My answers are NO every time! As soon as I can get enough cash together I'm out of here and back home. You really don't appreciate Ireland for what it is until you come to a place like this! Put our economy aside Ireland has so much more to offer than Canada!

I can understand how people are frustrated at home and maybe want a new experience or whatever and that's fair enough but from my own experiences and I've lived in the states, Australia, UK and now Canada, there certainly is no better country to live than Ireland! Our people, scenery, culture, sports, food, pubs, humour and personality is second to none.

This is just my opinion though!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

I should have said too, I completely agree with you Sam on everything. I earn less, not much less, but less, pay more tax, but it costs more to live. I would have felt I'd a nice amount of disposable income in Ireland but now it feels like I don't have any.

So true about the credit thing too and if you say anything it's we have resources, it's fine!!

The tax and tipping drive me crazy. Like if you go out for lunch it's 13% tax on the top, then a minimum of 15% tip, but most places expect 20%. So the price you see is not the price you pay. it's always 30% or more higher. And everyone talks in tax free prices, it makes no sense to me. Oh I got this great whatever for $25 and I'm like no it was $28 with the tax, and people argue that it was $25 and I'm trying to explain that I still need to have earned $28.25 or in my account to buy the thing, so tax free price is irrelevant. I just want to know what it cost me. But people here don't seem to get what I'm saying and just keep arguing that the tax free price is the correct one. I give up at this stage!!

I'm in Southern Ontario, so not really up there on the cold stakes, but it's still bloody freezing. I don't know how people do this year in and year out!! The ice storm was crazy. We weren't too badly affected but I know some people who didn't have power for a week over Christmas. I know we get storms at home too and Ireland has been getting a serious doing the last few weeks but ice storms and snow storms seem much more serious.

Anyway cheers for the post, that's my 2 cents!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

In fairness, despite a few things costing more in Canada than in Ireland, by in large, "stuff" in Canada is generally cheaper. Sure, cheese and chicken is more expensive but I think this is counter balanced by the cost of say petrol and utility bills. Costco is great for food, especially meat, and I think the prices there are more favourable when compared to home. I also think that larger items, such as cars and TVs are significantly cheaper. So take from that what you will. I do think as a culture, we tend to over exaggerate a little. I'll await the onslaught for saying that. The tax on items at the till is frustrating but you just get used to it. I live in Alberta so the impact isn't quite so large as it is in other provinces. Also, a small topic that comes up a lot with my friends is rent. I think people need to see as like for like. Comparing an 800 euro apartment in Tipperary with a $1500 apartment in downtown Calgary is a bit silly.

I can't speak for levels of disposable income as my first "real" job is here in Canada but is there really much of a difference? Tax rates go up to 41% back home and couple that with USC and PRSI charges. Sure you have EI and CPP charges here but they're not as much from what I can tell. I think tax rates etc favour higher income groups which leads onto income. In my profession, I am earning considerably more here than I would back home. It would be interesting to see what everyone is working as and where they are working. I wouldn't earn as much in Toronto/Vancouver as I would in Alberta. I know the newspapers etc back home hyped it up here a bit much but I think a level of common sense has to be taken when moving country. There's a construction boom in Alberta rite now but does that mean teachers are in high demand? A poor example but I think that would pertain to a lot of people coming over here. Too many people think Toronto/Vancouver are the places to go rite now. While not the rule, it is a lot of time the case. I think the only places that could be considered booming are Alberta and Saskatchewan. That's my opinion anyway.

The weather is hilarious. It's funny because the weather is such a topic of conversation in Ireland but no one really talks about it over here. Lets see, in the one year I've been here we've had -48 degrees, +36 degree, blizzards, huge amounts of snow, freezing rain, sun dogs (google it), floods, heavy rain that when I open my mouth for a second it fills with water, hail stones the size of golf balls, thunder storms that wake me up in the middle of the night, lightning storms that also wake me up in the middle of the night and...........

Well that's just some of my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Some people talk about sorting a job out before going over, in some circumstances that isn't possible. It depends what work you're going over to do.

My mate has been in Edmonton 2 years now and has worked in the Oil and Gas along with Construction Companies. He has told me it isn't possible to sort a job in that area of work before coming over. You need safety tickets sorted first which needs to be completed in Canada before going to the Companies looking for work. So anybody looking to get into that area of work like me, will have to bite the bullet and go over!

jiminho wrote: »
    In fairness, despite a few things costing more in Canada than in Ireland, by in large, "stuff" in Canada is generally cheaper. Sure, cheese and chicken is more expensive but I think this is counter balanced by the cost of say petrol and utility bills. Costco is great for food, especially meat, and I think the prices there are more favourable when compared to home. I also think that larger items, such as cars and TVs are significantly cheaper. So take from that what you will. I do think as a culture, we tend to over exaggerate a little. I'll await the onslaught for saying that. The tax on items at the till is frustrating but you just get used to it. I live in Alberta so the impact isn't quite so large as it is in other provinces. Also, a small topic that comes up a lot with my friends is rent. I think people need to see as like for like. Comparing an 800 euro apartment in Tipperary with a $1500 apartment in downtown Calgary is a bit silly.

I can't speak for levels of disposable income as my first "real" job is here in Canada but is there really much of a difference? Tax rates go up to 41% back home and couple that with USC and PRSI charges. Sure you have EI and CPP charges here but they're not as much from what I can tell. I think tax rates etc favour higher income groups which leads onto income. In my profession, I am earning considerably more here than I would back home. It would be interesting to see what everyone is working as and where they are working. I wouldn't earn as much in Toronto/Vancouver as I would in Alberta. I know the newspapers etc back home hyped it up here a bit much but I think a level of common sense has to be taken when moving country. There's a construction boom in Alberta rite now but does that mean teachers are in high demand? A poor example but I think that would pertain to a lot of people coming over here. Too many people think Toronto/Vancouver are the places to go rite now. While not the rule, it is a lot of time the case. I think the only places that could be considered booming are Alberta and Saskatchewan. That's my opinion anyway.

The weather is hilarious. It's funny because the weather is such a topic of conversation in Ireland but no one really talks about it over here. Lets see, in the one year I've been here we've had -48 degrees, +36 degree, blizzards, huge amounts of snow, freezing rain, sun dogs (google it), floods, heavy rain that when I open my mouth for a second it fills with water, hail stones the size of golf balls, thunder storms that wake me up in the middle of the night, lightning storms that also wake me up in the middle of the night and...........

Well that's just some of my thoughts.

Exactly. Its all swings and roundabouts. Look at the utilities, I pay 30 odd bucks for electric every 2 months. Gas is included in my rent and we have a gas fire and cooker - its so much cheaper right there.

As for the great chicken debate. Live somewhere where there isnt all white people. My neighbourhood is all Persian. I shop in their shops and its so much cheaper for meat, which is of a better quality than the crap in the big supermarkets anyway. I get a whole free range chicken for 12 bucks compared with 20 - 25 odd in the supermarkets. Plus we're lucky in BC with Richmond's acres of farmland in summer and the closeness of California in winter.

Cheese is shyte though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Exactly. Its all swings and roundabouts. Look at the utilities, I pay 30 odd bucks for electric every 2 months. Gas is included in my rent and we have a gas fire and cooker - its so much cheaper right there.

As for the great chicken debate. Live somewhere where there isnt all white people. My neighbourhood is all Persian. I shop in their shops and its so much cheaper for meat, which is of a better quality than the crap in the big supermarkets anyway. I get a whole free range chicken for 12 bucks compared with 20 - 25 odd in the supermarkets. Plus we're lucky in BC with Richmond's acres of farmland in summer and the closeness of California in winter.

Cheese is shyte though.

I recall seeing Dubliner cheddar in Frescho...

I recall seeing Dubliner cheddar in Frescho...

I likes me cheese and that isnt one of them. You can get Wexford in Loblaws in N Van. Not a bad cheese at all.

Cornish cruncher mate, a proper toe curler.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

I likes me cheese and that isnt one of them. You can get Wexford in Loblaws in N Van. Not a bad cheese at all.

Cornish cruncher mate, a proper toe curler.

Was in Loblaws before xmas and got a few things. Better prices and alot more food than IGA at the bottom of the quay. Just a pity its too far a walk for a weekly shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Random question, anyone know what its like for machine work (Diggers) out there, preferably around Toronto

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Was in Loblaws before xmas and got a few things. Better prices and alot more food than IGA at the bottom of the quay. Just a pity its too far a walk for a weekly shop

My wife works over the road from the IGA and uses it some days. Its by far the most expensive supermarket ive come across.

Regarding the loblaws, I hate it when they plonk a huge store on a street that has small independent food businesses.

I use it for the odd thing but try and spread around the joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

astonaidan wrote: »
    Random question, anyone know what its like for machine work (Diggers) out there, preferably around Toronto

Do you have your tickets? I think you have to do the Canadian version which s fairly expensive..and I mean into thousands!

The Canadian one is pricey. I just happened to check the excavator one earlier as I'm going to do the Forklift ticket when I get over!

http://www.oldscollege.ca/programs/ContinuingEducation/trades-industrial/heavy-equipment-operator.htm

http://www.viu.ca/heo/Excavator.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

As for the great chicken debate. Live somewhere where there isnt all white people. My neighbourhood is all Persian. I shop in their shops and its so much cheaper for meat, which is of a better quality than the crap in the big supermarkets anyway. I get a whole free range chicken for 12 bucks compared with 20 - 25 odd in the supermarkets.

Wheres that shop?

EI-DOR wrote: »
    The Canadian one is pricey. I just happened to check the excavator one earlier as I'm going to do the Forklift ticket when I get over!

http://www.oldscollege.ca/programs/ContinuingEducation/trades-industrial/heavy-equipment-operator.htm

http://www.viu.ca/heo/Excavator.asp

To be honest the pay for forklift drivers isn't great in Canada its still handy to have though

To be honest the pay for forklift drivers isn't great in Canada its still handy to have though

Yea I know but having it will give me another option. My initial plan is to get on the drill sites, but they won't be looking people again until September. So I need to sort something else out in the meantime!

• Advertisement

Yea I know but having it will give me another option. My initial plan is to get on the drill sites, but they won't be looking people again until September. So I need to sort something else out in the meantime!

I've a mate doing that he had to do a few courses first like first aid and a few others it seems to be were the money is!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gary10

Anybody here been/worked in Edmonton?, I'm heading over in a month and was thinking Calgary or Edmonton,
    I'm a Landscaper but willling to do labouring work or work on the rigs if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Good luck man,i've read Calgary is expensive but I don't know the real facts.Im sure the other lads above there will let you know the deal,read back through the threads here it will give you an idea.Planning on landing in Edmonton (or near by) myself in a few months,keep us updated on how it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gary10

Will do man, from looking at the Jobsbank.gc.ca website there seems to be a lot of Labouring/construction work in Edmonton and Calgary for decent money but am leaning towards Edmonton as there seems to be more,

cuterob wrote: »
    Wheres that shop?

Loblaws - Lonsdale Ave and E 16th St

shhh google is your friendly friend

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Been in Calgary 3 months. As a bartender if anyone in the pub trade is thinking of coming, do it. Cost of living might be a little more but a busy bar will mean a good increase in disposable income after tips.

That's one job I am not doing. Been doing Bar Work here at the weekends the past 4 years. Hate the site of it now. What sort of money you getting an hour out of curiosity?

That's one job I am not doing. Been doing Bar Work here at the weekends the past 4 years. Hate the site of it now. What sort of money you getting an hour out of curiosity?

and out of interest how much would you make in a week on tips?

Most nights very little Ciaran. I work in a bar in Newry so it's very quiet at the weekends. A pint costs £3.40, 2 Spirits and a mixer is £8, so getting money of customers for drink is tough enough as it is never mind tips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 cburns37

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Been in Calgary 3 months. As a bartender if anyone in the pub trade is thinking of coming, do it. Cost of living might be a little more but a busy bar will mean a good increase in disposable income after tips.

Shooter, how much experience did they require? Ive over 6 years experience from pubs, large city bars and nightclubs..

Is there much difference between the two countries regarding the work you do?

Advertisement