Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been in Canada 3 months now info inside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Most nights very little Ciaran. I work in a bar in Newry so it's very quiet at the weekends. A pint costs £3.40, 2 Spirits and a mixer is £8, so getting money of customers for drink is tough enough as it is never mind tips!

Oh sorry mate I thought you were in Canada. Wouldnt of bothered if i'd know you were at home :D Always wondered how much bar people get in tips here. An old fella tipped me a quarter the other day. I did giggle to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

You see it all mate. Some lad was in the bar over xmas and gave me $20 Dollars for the round of drink. I'm like sorry mate we only take Sterling and Euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

EI-DOR wrote: »
    That's one job I am not doing. Been doing Bar Work here at the weekends the past 4 years. Hate the site of it now. What sort of money you getting an hour out of curiosity?

$11 plus tips.
    cburns37 wrote: »
    Shooter, how much experience did they require? Ive over 6 years experience from pubs, large city bars and nightclubs..

Is there much difference between the two countries regarding the work you do?

I had 10 years experience but there are plenty of pubs that will look at you just for your nationality. To be honest there are some big differences. Mostly the fact that you'll spend as much time taking orders from a printer as you will customers. The pace can be a little faster too and you might want to brush up on your usual cocktails. On the plus side it can be a pampered job. Where I am I don't have to sweep or mop or go near the toilets as they get cleaners in to do all that.
    ciaran67 wrote: »
    and out of interest how much would you make in a week on tips?

It varies. I work in a restaurant type bar in town that only opens Monday to Friday so I miss out on some tips (but enjoying my weekends off) I usually make about 300 a week in tips but the right bar you can do a good bit more (and even more if you happen to be female)

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I usually make about 300 a week in tips but the right bar you can do a good bit more (and even more if you happen to be female)

Sex change it is then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Louise Jordan

Hey Guys,

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and taken the time to give accounts of their experiences in Canada from the inside.

I've been frantically refreshing the IEC Site waiting for updates and having taken the time to read this thread, to say my bubble has started to burst is an understatement....

One of my best friends is living in Vancouver almost 3 years with her husband, they now have permanent residency and would never contemplate living in Ireland again. They are really positive people and went over with a really positive attitude. They both work in retail and have jobs they believe they would never have gotten here.

I have another good friend who lived in Vancouver for 2 years and is home 2 years, she has since secured permanent residency and is planning on returning at some point.

Again, she is quite positive and can't say enough good things about Vancouver.

Here's my deal, I'm 32, I have a degree and I'm working in Marketing. I'd always loved the idea of Canada but I'm a bit of a homebird so regardless of the positive feedback I've been getting, it seems very far away for me...

However, my career progression has gotten a bit stagnant here and although I'm exhausting the jobs market at home, new opportunities seem slim and I've decided I needed a change of scenery and didn't think twice about Canada, just figured that's the plan for 2014. I have believed up until now there are better job opportunities and better living standards (I did holiday in Vancouver in Summer 2012 and loved it, but from a tourists perspective). My plan was to stay for 1 year only. Have some new experiences and not deplete all of my savings, If I could save an take some money back home with me then amazing.....that just seems like a ridiculous thing to suggest after reading this thread.

So, for those of you on the inside.....Are all Marketing jobs going to be a step backward with lower pay?

Thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I can't speak for marketing directly as I don't work in that industry, but generally speaking (I'm sure there are some who will disagree), most people take a chunky wage cut in their first job over here.
    I think its a combination of 2 factors. The first being that we lack the 'precious' Canadian experience and the second, is that wages for experienced professionals tend to be less over here than back at home.

Hey Guys,

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and taken the time to give accounts of their experiences in Canada from the inside.

I've been frantically refreshing the IEC Site waiting for updates and having taken the time to read this thread, to say my bubble has started to burst is an understatement....

One of my best friends is living in Vancouver almost 3 years with her husband, they now have permanent residency and would never contemplate living in Ireland again. They are really positive people and went over with a really positive attitude. They both work in retail and have jobs they believe they would never have gotten here.

I have another good friend who lived in Vancouver for 2 years and is home 2 years, she has since secured permanent residency and is planning on returning at some point.

Again, she is quite positive and can't say enough good things about Vancouver.

Here's my deal, I'm 32, I have a degree and I'm working in Marketing. I'd always loved the idea of Canada but I'm a bit of a homebird so regardless of the positive feedback I've been getting, it seems very far away for me...

However, my career progression has gotten a bit stagnant here and although I'm exhausting the jobs market at home, new opportunities seem slim and I've decided I needed a change of scenery and didn't think twice about Canada, just figured that's the plan for 2014. I have believed up until now there are better job opportunities and better living standards (I did holiday in Vancouver in Summer 2012 and loved it, but from a tourists perspective). My plan was to stay for 1 year only. Have some new experiences and not deplete all of my savings, If I could save an take some money back home with me then amazing.....that just seems like a ridiculous thing to suggest after reading this thread.

So, for those of you on the inside.....Are all Marketing jobs going to be a step backward with lower pay?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

And for people who have got PR, do you think it will be easy to afford a house over there. The prices are crazy.

zweton wrote: »
    And for people who have got PR, do you think it will be easy to afford a house over there. The prices are crazy.

We earn well here and would never ever be able to afford a house. People should learn the lessons of the Irish housing crash and be cautious about buying. I can see a the bubble burst here at some stage.

They talk about job creation in BC but what the figures don't tell you is many full time jobs are going and part time jobs are the ones on the increase, hence the pretty good unemployment figures. Media here is very biased toward the very right of centre government. Many of my friends (Vancouverites) are struggling to find work. If I was coming to Canada i really would look to other cities cos being successful in Vancouver, a lot of the time, is down to luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

zweton wrote: »

Where in Canada? The prices range from dirt cheap to expensive, it is after all one of the biggest countries in the world after all. One things is for sure tho and that is you will have no problem getting a mortgage. They are handing them out.

jiminho wrote: »
    Where in Canada? The prices range from dirt cheap to expensive, it is after all one of the biggest countries in the world after all. One things is for sure tho and that is you will have no problem getting a mortgage. They are handing them out.

Met a lady the other day who tried to sell her Vancouver house in 1980 for 30k and couldnt get it. They sold it last year for 1.2million. :eek:

• Advertisement

Met a lady the other day who tried to sell her Vancouver house in 1980 for 30k and couldnt get it. They sold it last year for 1.2million. :eek:

That's mad but the Canadian housing market never really saw a massive upswing in prices like we did in the naughties, from what I've been told. I'm willing to be proved wrong but the house prices haven't gone down that much in the last few years, if at all where I'm based. Then again people will probably point to Toronto and Vancouver as the epicentres of the country. Having said all that, at the current exchange rate, 1.2m cad = 800k euro and I'm pretty sure you will get a hell of a lot more house over there than over here. A couple of years ago, a decent detached house in a decent location in south county Dublin would probably start at 1m. I've also noticed about Canadian houses is that they never include the basement are as livable space. A house could be advertised as 2000 sq.ft but then you find out there's an additional 800 sq.ft in the basement.

Also i wanted to add, my mams house was bought for 45k in 1991 and at the height of the boom, houses we're selling for 1.4m in our area. You'd almost wish your were born in the last generation......easy money:rolleyes:

jiminho wrote: »
    Also i wanted to add, my mams house was bought for 45k in 1991 and at the height of the boom, houses we're selling for 1.4m in our area. You'd almost wish your were born in the last generation......easy money:rolleyes:

Yea but they crashed in Ireland. Vancouver's just keeps going up and way beyond first time buyers or average joes. Look on mls.ca

You'll still find affordable housing all across Canada, including Toronto.

So another few months have passed.. Just wondering how things are shaping up for people who came last year.
    I've been here since May of last year and been regretting the move ever since I left. Unfortunately things haven't improved for me over the winter months. I'm still in a crappy job (on much much less money than what I had in Dublin) and not having much luck finding anything better. I'm seriously looking forward to the summer weather though. Its probably the only thing keeping me here at the minute. After the summer, I'm not sure if I will stay much longer. Its not easy to meet people here at all and I do try. Going to join a footie team for the summer months. See what comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

So another few months have passed.. Just wondering how things are shaping up for people who came last year.
    I've been here since May of last year and been regretting the move ever since I left. Unfortunately things haven't improved for me over the winter months. I'm still in a crappy job (on much much less money than what I had in Dublin) and not having much luck finding anything better. I'm seriously looking forward to the summer weather though. Its probably the only thing keeping me here at the minute. After the summer, I'm not sure if I will stay much longer. Its not easy to meet people here at all and I do try. Going to join a footie team for the summer months. See what comes of it.

Where abouts are you living? I have been here now since last April and like you still looking for the better job.

I'm in Toronto... I came here cos of the large financial services sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

I'm in Toronto... I came here cos of the large financial services sector.

Its that difficult in toronto to get a good job?
    Just thank god its coming into the summer now, that winter was harsh here in alberta.

Well I cant speak for everyone but I have been finding it very difficult. And I have good experience which I thought would have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

Good to hear everyones experiences, keep them coming!
    I posted here a few months back and said Id check in and see how everyone is doing..
    I was finding it tough too, regarding jobs and money and I had alot of experience having left my job to come here. I just started a new job in my area in Vancouver, and since then Ive had 2 phonecalls from other companies inviting me for interviews. I think everything seems to come together! I am on better money than at home, but I could potentially earn the same if I went home now, and I think i was just lucky.
    But I still feel its hard to make real friends here, I do miss my friends and family at home, and my bf is here too, and he has been homesick since we got here last August so he wants to go home soon. Its definantly a good experience, and there is alot to do here like skiing etc that you cant do at home so easy, so I just want to make the most of it while im here and enjoy it for what it is. I think it was good that it made me appreciate what i had at home and its good to see things from the other side so i wont always be wondering what if.. but i dont think i could live here for good, as if i was to have children at some stage I would like my family around me to share it with. Ive settled alot more since we arrived and I really think it takes at least 6 months to settle a little bit.
    Would love to hear from more people who were posting at the beginning too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Left 5 months ago after 3 yrs...pretty much the exact same feelings I had for my last yr. Was never gonna settle there and happy im back in ireland now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

I have to say I agree with you. I'm in Niagara Falls working in St Catharines. I only took my current job to have money coming in while I settled & looked around properly. I'm on much less money than I was at home & a much lower level job. I am highly qualified & have nearly 10 years experience, but it doesn't seem to count for anything here.

I've applied for I'd say about 60 jobs in the last 2 months & not heard a peep! I reckon 1 in 10 jobs I see advertised now say 'Canadian citizens only' or 'Canadian/US passport holders only'. So I'm guessing that's what's wrong with all the applications I've made I'm not from here.

I've tried recruitment agents too, but they're all over you for a day, then it's radio silence. They don't even return calls. It's very frustrating. Then if they do call it's a job that's an hour and a half each way commute.

The winter has been cruel I must say. I know even the Canadians are saying it's the worst they've ever seen. I'm hoping the summer makes up for it. But same as you I've tried to get to know people, but they just don't seem interested. I've gone to quite a few meet up things & people are nice & chatty but have no interest in knowing you outside of the activity. So it's hard to meet friends.

I find most people here a lot more settled. They're more into doing up their house/ going somewhere with their kids/nieces & nephews, or whatever at the weekends. So there's no opportunity to hang out with them.

I'm the same as you I'll give it the summer & see how it goes. Part of me is kinda sorry they changed it to a 2 year visa. I'd be happy enough to go home in June but now that I have the visa I feel I should at least try to stick it out. I definitely feel it's been a disappointment so far.

At least now I know next time I've a good job in Ireland to stick at it! The grass is definitely not greener (especially when it's covered in 4ft of snow!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

I'm about 10 months in and still working away in the same job decent job I found in Toronto. I was more homesick than even I was aware of for about 5 months and could only think about heading home - since visiting home for xmas I'm a lot more comfortable with life here. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never have friends as close as the ones I had back in Ireland, but I have some drinking buddies from work which is all I need right now.

The winter has been truly brutal but I have a feeling that the winters define Canada in a way. I think I'm getting a more balanced view of the place now and can appreciate a lot more of the upsides, such as the safe streets and cheap local sports ($15 for a Blue Jays ticket!). I still don't see myself staying though. Looking forward to beers on Toronto Island in the evenings and all that good stuff but there are no Ryanair weekend escapes from the relentless cold in the winter so I think I'll be happy to stick out the remainder of the year and then make plans to head back. All in all I'd say it's been a good experience so far and I'm doing my best to make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

It seems like the majority of people really are planning on heading home, and dont see a future here. Im happy I came here for the experience alright. I think you need a lot of money to do activities to make it enjoyable. Its great living near the best ski resorts in the world but you need money to enjoy it. Since we came here, we are constantly broke, and living pay check to pay check! At home, we always had money left over and could save properly but its impossible to save here, so Ive given up even trying and just gonna make the most of the summer and do as many things as we can, and then think about going home. Even though our visas dont exprire until August 2015.. My bf is going home in August one way or another.. So i need to decide what to do about my new job etc.. ive been so lucky to get it, and now ill feel bad leaving!
    I have heard people who go home for christmas or for a few weeks, always seem to be happier once theyre back.. Does that mean when I go home, Ill realise Ive made a huge mistake and want to come back??!!
    Its funny how noone ever prepares you for all of this when your planning on coming over. Everyone paints it as the land of opportunity, and loads of jobs, and the place to be.. So are all these people lying that they are having the time of their lives? I suppose Facebook is all about showing the 'good' side of everything and I feel people who are in a different country always make out they are having a better time because theyre not in Ireland, and people in Ireland always think people in a different country are having a better time. I do think Irish people should stop complaining about their country though, they are always saying ' they want to get out of this s*th*le etc... and there was around 3800 Canadian visas snapped up in less than 10 minutes this month. Its crazy!!! Ireland isnt that bad! Maybe people need to get out and see for themselves that Ireland isnt all that bad compared with other countries and the grass isnt always greener. I think most people just want to 'experience' it. But even all those job fairs. there was one on in my city before I left, and when I passed the hotel that it was on in, there was queues miles long to get in there, and it was all over the news, and people were being interviewed saying they want to get out of this country etc.... Its crazy....
    Anyway, I think I went off on a tangent there, but I think people in Ireland need to realise its not all fantastic all of the time. Yes Canada is a beautiful country with beautiful landscapes, but its not the land of opportunity for everyone. Most of those thousands of Canada jobs advertised to people at home are in construction, and mines in remote areas, where workers are on very good money but they just work 12 hour shifts and dont really have any real quality of life. All other professions, I wouldnt say there are endless opportunities...I cant believe noone has told Irish people this!
    Cbbc , will your partner move to Ireland with you? I remember at the start of this post when i was posting last year you were saying you moved here for him I think.
    Well keep the posts coming with your opinions and experiences ...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Most of those thousands of Canada jobs advertised to people at home are in construction, and mines in remote areas, where workers are on very good money but they just work 12 hour shifts and dont really have any real quality of life.
    The people working in Construction / Engineering will be the people with an excellent quality of life after they have worked for a few years in Alberta. I know one guy who's over there I'd say 12 years, he's now a millionaire and owns various properties back here in Ireland.

It depends what area of work you go into and as you said the money is in Construction / Engineering / Heavy Machinery ect. I will have work lined up before going over in the same area of work.

What is your Job Profession out of curiosity?

Just to put it out there, Canada isn't booming, Alberta is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Cream Bun wrote: »
    Cbbc , will your partner move to Ireland with you? I remember at the start of this post when i was posting last year you were saying you moved here for him I think.
    Well keep the posts coming with your opinions and experiences ...

Cheers for remembering cream bun! That's the million dollar question. He's said if I wait until next year he will. It's just whether I can wait that long.

In fairness to him he agrees the lifestyle is much different and can see why it doesn't suit me.

Whoever said that they've accepted they'll never have close friends here like their close friends in Ireland is completely right. That's how I feel. It's kinda like we have 4D in Ireland but everything here is in 2D....

I agree with all you said too cream bun, I'm an accountant & wasn't well off but always had a few bob at the end of each month, here it's counting down the days to pay day. Everything here costs money, it's worse than Dublin during the boom!

I'm trying to do the same though I've a list of places I want to see/things I want to do while I'm here. I'm just going to focus on that & make the most of it while I'm still here. But in my mind I'm going back, it's just a case of when!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Glad to see this thread busting back into life again..

I went home for xmas and cudnt wait to get back out here. Since the end of Jan ive work about 2weeks! Im a painter and for some weird reason canadians stop painting im these months. Im n vancouver and the weather is better than what i thought it was going to be. Its been very tough strugging with no money but finally work is starting to pick back up. Ive given myself to sept to make up my mind on what i wana do, wether to stay on or go home at xmas for good.

Its true you have so much at home friends, family etc but ur here for the experience you might aswell make the most of it while you can even if you are set to go home for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 davey boy

Well I cant speak for everyone but I have been finding it very difficult. And I have good experience which I thought would have helped.

I am in the same boat dealhunter. I have been in Vancouver for four years and in my opinion work experience does not matter here. Its all about who you know and how much confidence you have. Luckily my wife has a well paid job and we are doing well. If I was single I would be on the first plane back home.

I agree that it can be difficult to make friends here too. We know lots of people here but I would not regard any of them as close friends. I hope to go back home for Christmas this year and hopefully I will be glad to get back to Canada like some of the posters here as I think we will stay in Canada for the foreseeable future.

My experience in Canada has been mostly good though. I have learned so much and also been lucky enough to see a lot of beautiful places in BC and met a lot of nice people.

My advice to people thinking of coming over is not to be to hopeful of walking into a career job. You may have to start over and work your way up.

davey boy wrote: »
    I am in the same boat dealhunter. I have been in Vancouver for four years and in my opinion work experience does not matter here. Its all about who you know and how much confidence you have. Luckily my wife has a well paid job and we are doing well. If I was single I would be on the first plane back home.

I agree that it can be difficult to make friends here too. We know lots of people here but I would not regard any of them as close friends. I hope to go back home for Christmas this year and hopefully I will be glad to get back to Canada like some of the posters here as I think we will stay in Canada for the foreseeable future.

My experience in Canada has been mostly good though. I have learned so much and also been lucky enough to see a lot of beautiful places in BC and met a lot of nice people.

My advice to people thinking of coming over is not to be to hopeful of walking into a career job. You may have to start over and work your way up.

Yeah start over from the beginning. I suppose its fine for graduates as they have to start somewhere, but coming over here with 7 years experience, I would have thought it would have been easier. I'm pretty much in an entry level job at the moment and I came here solely to progress, not to take a sh*t load of steps backwards. The grass isnt always greener. what a true statement :)

• Advertisement

The grass isnt always greener. what a true statement :)

Especially when you come from Ireland where the grass is in fact very much greener.

Advertisement