Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage help or advice

Options
  • 27-09-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

My dad has a meeting with the banks about remortgaging the family home to buy a 2nd home that me and my partner and 2 kids would live in and pay the monthly repayments as i am in construction and my partner is part time so we would not qualify for a mortgage..he is 50 years old with 30 thousand left on his current mortgage to be cleared in 4 years ..well paid job in the hse of about 40 thousand a year and my ma 15 thousand a year both permanent jobs ..he has remortgaged before has never had a bad credit history or anything..there is any amount of big spacious nice houses goin for a 100 grand in and around our area which is all he will be looking for ..the house were actually renting which we love is going for 115 grand ..what are his chances of approval from the bank...also the home house would be worth in today,s market upwards of 200 grand

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

40k is not a very high wage.He would probably need to get an investment mortgage on the house which could be more expensive. You would have no rights to it unless you bought it with him.
    If I was you would save up and buy it yourself,115k is not a lot and you would not need massive earnings to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 robanemma

saving is tough while renting at the same time... being honest saving enough for a deposit is near impossible as is getting a job in construction some weeks are good some some are non exsisting so mortgage of our own at the moment is out of the question...moonbeam when the mortgage is paid of the house would be signed over to me and my partner so rights to the house would not worry me..it just makes sense to pay a remortgage my da gets and have something to show for it in 15 to 20 years than pay a complete strangers mortgage for nothing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

robanemma wrote: »
    saving is tough while renting at the same time... being honest saving enough for a deposit is near impossible as is getting a job in construction some weeks are good some some are non exsisting so mortgage of our own at the moment is out of the question...moonbeam when the mortgage is paid of the house would be signed over to me and my partner so rights to the house would not worry me..it just makes sense to pay a remortgage my da gets and have something to show for it in 15 to 20 years than pay a complete strangers mortgage for nothing

At his age, what term mortgage would he be looking for?

he has a mortgage of 30 thousand and a top it up of 100 thousand would buy us a house no problem in 2days market..home house worth upwards of 200 grand..so with both houses been worth in total of 300 thousand and a mortgage of 130 surely it would not be a risk for the bank..maybe a 15 to 20 term mortgage with us giving 600 to 700 a month towards it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP my Dad remortgaged his home about five years ago and the bank wouldn't give him a term that ran past his retirement age, he was 55 at the time. If the banks are still imposing that restriction 100k over 15 years is one hell of a repayment, not to mention all the associated costs like life insurance, mortgage protection that he will have to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OP my Dad remortgaged his home about five years ago and the bank wouldn't give him a term that ran past his retirement age, he was 55 at the time. If the banks are still imposing that restriction 100k over 15 years is one hell of a repayment, not to mention all the associated costs like life insurance, mortgage protection that he will have to pay.

That's what I was thinking too, you'd be looking at close to €850 a month in repayments on the NEW mortgage, not including life insurance, mortgage protection etc.

Plus OP do you have a deposit or are you looking for your father to mortgage for the full value of the house:?

it will be 15 years i would imagine ..my da is the sort of man that would not mind even if he was out of pocket himself a little bit it would not bother him if he knew our and his grandkids future would be more secure ..if things pick up i could repay more a month ..he already pays 850 a month for the last couple of years to try clear his mortgage ..it was not my idea i called in to the home house the other day and he told me he had a meeting to discuss it

we do not have any money at the moment for a deposit but if it came down to be declined on a basis of no deposit for it ..we could get our hands on money for a deposit if that be the case

My honest opinion would be that whilst it is very nice of your father to offer to do this, I think (particularly given that you may not be able to cover the mortgage) that you should work out all of the maths completely.

I'd be concerned that your father is putting himself under financial strain unnecessarily

OP your dad sounds like a saint but that is some serious business.

Essentially he is taking an equity release on his family home to buy you a house with cash, with the best will in the world families tear each other apart when it comes to money and property.

• Advertisement

well been honest I would be able to cover the mortgage even the way things are at the moment and things arnt great at the moment weve been renting for 5 years at 600 a month..the way my da would look at it is if he puts himself under financial pressure but leaves us in a better position to send his grandkids to college and make something of themselves he would be a very happy man..the morrigan I know some familys tear themselves apart over money and property I know u can never say never I do not think it would happen in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

What happens if for any reason you lose your job and can't pay the payments, your father is liable and his maximum term is probably up to retirement, the last thing you want is your father and mother in retirement facing losing their family home if things go wrong.

To be honest I had to check the date on your original post after I read it, I thought it must be an old thread from the tiger days that had been dragged up again. There are so many people in a mess now because they did exactly what you want your father to do.

Op, I bought my own place and my dad gifted me a substantial sum of money towards it..I pay back that monthly repayment to my dad. Dads do these things, it's in their nature. But crap happens and you need to be able to finance your own life.
    Personally I think you should take out a mortgage in your own name, it could be a low ltv and if your dad wants to help, then let him gift you a smaller sum of money, not the entire purchase price.

phormium as I said I did not ask nor never even mention this to him ...I was out of work before and my partner worked part time never fell in2 arrears on rent ..we have a family car no loans ..apart from esb and gas bills not a whole pile of outgoings non drinkers or smokers ..its not the repayment of the mortgage im worried about its will he be declined for any reason ..as I said he has been paying an 850 euro a month for over 10 years whilst having a good lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

question...moonbeam when the mortgage is paid of the house would be signed over to me and my partner so rights to the house would not worry me..

Its not as straight forward as that.

There is a taxable liability on this as you are only allowed one 30k gift tax free. So when the house is signed over your going to have a hefty tax bill which you wouldn't be able to afford (if you cant save a deposit you cannot pay this tax bill)

This idea you have is not very well thought out TBH. Your father would probably only be able to remortgage over a 10 year term and on his salary he wouldn't qualify for 100k over 10 years anyway, nor would you on your own admission up and down amounts of work, with your partner only working part time.

essentially this idea just wouldn't work. Try find some permanent work and save and then look to buy at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

You and your Dad need to look at this from 360 degrees - what if he/your Mum/you/your partner died/separated/get terminally ill during this process. It seems very ill thought out and IMHO even if your Dad suggested it - its your responsibility to protect him. Hope you get excellent legal advice whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

it will be 15 years i would imagine ..my da is the sort of man that would not mind even if he was out of pocket himself a little bit it would not bother him if he knew our and his grandkids future would be more secure ..if things pick up i could repay more a month ..he already pays 850 a month for the last couple of years to try clear his mortgage ..it was not my idea i called in to the home house the other day and he told me he had a meeting to discuss it

robanemma, What a lovely kind Dad you have:)... how much rent do you pay at the moment ? Have you discussed with your Dad what would happen if either you or him got ill and could not work or if you had no work who would pay the mortgage. As he is remortgaging the family home he could lose it if he could not keep up the repayments. You need to sit down and seriously discuss the advantages and disadvantages for both of you and at the moment. I see a lot of advantages for you and very little for your Dad. At this stage of his life he should be looking forward to his retirement and clearing his mortgage and not worrying about putting a roof over your family's head. As other posters mentioned this is dangerous territory and will more than likely end up in bad feeling. I'm sure there are loads of posters on here who got equity release loans to provide a deposit for their children in the Celtic Tiger years for overpriced houses and now have a noose around their neck and regretting that decision.
    You mentioned you could get your hands on a deposit as a matter of interest would this be a loan or a gift ?
    Would you not consider moving in with your folks and saving up a deposit to buy your own house.
    I would say Banks will not entertain this proposition in the current climate.

being honest as I said I don't think repayments would be an issue ..one way or another I have to pay 600 euro a month to keep a roof over my kids head whether that be paying rent or paying my dad,s mortgage ...if it ment workin 3 jobs in the future to scrape by at 40 years of age I would be mortgage free and in the position to be able to afford to give my kids a good education which is all my dad would like to see

being honest as I said I don't think repayments would be an issue ..one way or another I have to pay 600 euro a month to keep a roof over my kids head whether that be paying rent or paying my dad,s mortgage ...if it ment workin 3 jobs in the future to scrape by at 40 years of age I would be mortgage free and in the position to be able to afford to give my kids a good education which is all my dad would like to see

The mortgage will be well over 600 a month though,and there is no guarantee that other rainy day crap won't crop up.
    All four of you need to consider the very worst case scenarios here, not daydreaming with rose tinted glasses of a bright future for your kids - you all need to seek, financial, legal and tax advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Just curious here, coz I don't know the answer to this myself, but someone else might... If you got the mortgage yourself, could your dad sign guarantor- would that keep it more straightforward. I know someone who got a mortgage 3 years ago when on a one yr contract, and partner in college, because his parents signed guarantor for it... But 3 yes ago is a different time to now of course!

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    Just curious here, coz I don't know the answer to this myself, but someone else might... If you got the mortgage yourself, could your dad sign guarantor- would that keep it more straightforward. I know someone who got a mortgage 3 years ago when on a one yr contract, and partner in college, because his parents signed guarantor for it... But 3 yes ago is a different time to now of course!

I would say that would be discretionary in any bank at this stage.

as I said before with my dads job he could cover a 850 a month mortgage no problem till the day he retires which I think it will work out at with me paying 600 hundred a month and more some months ..my da is not someone that jumps into things either he will seek legal advice work out tax charges and think it through as I will also....if the banks do accept it will be thought through over and over till we see is it worth while and what risks are we taking ..at the end of the day it was people paying 4 or 5 hundred thousand on a house that wasn't worth a fifth of that kind of money that has the country in this mess ..the house we would be looking to buy are big well built energy efficient homes that went for 350 thousand up to 2 years ago

as I said before with my dads job he could cover a 850 a month mortgage no problem till the day he retires which I think it will work out at with me paying 600 hundred a month and more some months ..my da is not someone that jumps into things either he will seek legal advice work out tax charges and think it through as I will also....if the banks do accept it will be thought through over and over till we see is it worth while and what risks are we taking ..at the end of the day it was people paying 4 or 5 hundred thousand on a house that wasn't worth a fifth of that kind of money that has the country in this mess..the house we would be looking to buy are big well built energy efficient homes that went for 350 thousand up to 2 years ago

That has nothing to do with your situation.

yes I know it has nothing to do with my situation ..its a hundred thousand tho not a half a million im sure there is people at my dads age around the country buying 2nd property,s as a retirement fund

yes I know it has nothing to do with my situation ..its a hundred thousand tho not a half a million im sure there is people at my dads age around the country buying 2nd property,s as a retirement fund

It's not a retirement fund though, it's a house for you.

he is not going to be paying the mortgage tho he is helping his son and grandkids out which I would like to think if I was in the position to do would do for my own kids ...if I owned my owns house mortgage free by 40 years old that would be worth more to him than any retirement fund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

as I said before with my dads job he could cover a 850 a month mortgage no problem till the day he retires which I think it will work out at with me paying 600 hundred a month and more some months ..my da is not someone that jumps into things either he will seek legal advice work out tax charges and think it through as I will also....if the banks do accept it will be thought through over and over till we see is it worth while and what risks are we taking ..at the end of the day it was people paying 4 or 5 hundred thousand on a house that wasn't worth a fifth of that kind of money that has the country in this mess ..the house we would be looking to buy are big well built energy efficient homes that went for 350 thousand up to 2 years ago

Nope people buying houses at mortgages that were significantly more than 4 times there income was the problem.

Nothing wrong with paying high prices for a house (if you want too) so long as you're not stretching yourself.

yes but we are not stretching ourselves ..I will have to pay 600 euro a month one way or another ..whether that be paying rent for a mortgage on someone else,s house or a mortgage my da gets for ourselves

yes but we are not stretching ourselves ..I will have to pay 600 euro a month one way or another ..whether that be paying rent for a mortgage on someone else,s house or a mortgage my da gets for ourselves

You're only considering the mortgage, what about all the other ancillary costs are you going to be able to pay those too?
    House insurance, life insurance, property tax, legal fees, water charges, payment protection - it's not just the mortgage repayments.
    Plus 600 euro is too low, it's more likely to be 850-1,000 per month plus any other taxes and insurance on top of that.

• Advertisement

You're only considering the mortgage, what about all the other ancillary costs are you going to be able to pay those too?
    House insurance, life insurance, property tax, legal fees, water charges, payment protection - it's not just the mortgage repayments.
    Plus 600 euro is too low, it's more likely to be 850-1,000 per month plus any other taxes and insurance on top of that.

Have to agree with The_Morrigan here, interest rates are at an historic low, and are only going to start going up, in five years time that €850 a month might be €1150 a month (every quarter of a percent rise in rates is approx. 25-30 per month extra in repayments, so all you need is rates to rise twice a year for five years for that to happen) and it may become a noose around your dads neck if you cannot stump up the extra.

You mention being mortgage free at forty and being able to provide for your kids education, why not provide for their education, rent and save then aim for a mortgage at forty?

Advertisement