Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got Licensed for a S&W 15-22?

Options
  • 27-09-2013 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

As the titled says- anyone got Licensed for the 15-22 from S&W?
    I've seen some reviews and had a recommendation that this is the current 'hot ticket' for a .22 target shooter.

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's hit and miss, I know someone who has a restricted licence for a Umarex 416 copy and someone else who got refused for the very same rifle.
    Like any restricted firearm you have to show why you need that specific rifle and not an unrestricted one. Can't have it just because you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi,
    I wouldn't have thought it was restricted?

.22lr limited to 10 rounds? (I know you can get larger capacity mags, but so has my pistol...larger than 5 rounds I mean)

Are we (the powers that be) still in the dark ages on style of rifle? I've seen GSG mp5 in .22 calibre????

I just wanna have fun as Cindy used to sing....

dc99 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I wouldn't have thought it was restricted?

.22lr limited to 10 rounds? (I know you can get larger capacity mags, but so has my pistol...larger than 5 rounds I mean)

Are we (the powers that be) still in the dark ages on style of rifle? I've seen GSG mp5 in .22 calibre????

I just wanna have fun as Cindy used to sing....

Resembles an assault rifle so it's restricted. Nah when you have the restricted licence you can go over the normal 10 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi,

Ok so if i wanted to get one would i have to indicate on the application that it is restricted or would they(the G) change the designation from unrestricted to restricted?

I wanna have a bit of fun with my sport and even though I know its still just a fire mechanism and a barrel. it looks more appealing (shallow that I am...:-) )

Ta

dc99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Ok so if i wanted to get one would i have to indicate on the application that it is restricted or would they(the G) change the designation from unrestricted to restricted?

I wanna have a bit of fun with my sport and even though I know its still just a fire mechanism and a barrel. it looks more appealing (shallow that I am...:-) )

Ta

Have to do it yourself, onus is on you to have the correct licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Just buy a ruger 10/22, they seem more robust and you can trick it up to suit yourself with endlessly available parts and accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mopro80

Apologies for reviving such an old thread, but I do have the same question as the OP. I was interested in getting into gallery shooting and I quite fancy the S&W M&P 15-22. In the UK some would be using this exact rifle for that purpose. Now it appears that S.I. No. 21 of 2008 classifies rifles that look like assault rifles as restricted. And I guess some would deem this to be the case here...

Has anyone got this rifle licensed? If yes, restriced or non-restricted?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

mopro80 wrote: »
    Apologies for reviving such an old thread, but I do have the same question as the OP. I was interested in getting into gallery shooting and I quite fancy the S&W M&P 15-22. In the UK some would be using this exact rifle for that purpose. Now it appears that S.I. No. 21 of 2008 classifies rifles that look like assault rifles as restricted. And I guess some would deem this to be the case here...

Has anyone got this rifle licensed? If yes, restriced or non-restricted?

Thanks

Restricted does NOT mean it can't be liscensed,and to beat a long dead horse thread to death about "looks like an assault rifle" whether in .22 or centrefire is very bad law,and a non starter in making a decision in these cases.As has been proven enough times in district courts around the country.. The only way they should be considering this is as restricted is if you needed for some reason,a mag capacity above 10 shots here,rather than it's dubious looks.
    Ifyou want one stick in for it and take it from there.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Richard308

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Happened a guy I knows hammerli tac. Blew the bolt Face to bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Its damn cheap to make them with a aluminium AR lower they can be got for seriously cheap money i never understood the plastic crappy lowers:rolleyes:

Is it Polymer or is it some other type of cheapo plastic?

Is it Polymer or is it some other type of cheapo plastic?

Polymer is fancy speak for plastic:pac:,
    If i were to hazard a guess id say its fiber reinforced nylon

Polymer is fancy speak for plastic:pac:,
    If i were to hazard a guess id say its fiber reinforced nylon

IOW the same stuff the Remington Nylon66 was made of? Not the most successful gun made.Ever.

IOW the same stuff the Remington Nylon66 was made of? Not the most successful gun made.Ever.

They definitely spent more money on molds etc though for that rifle and its not the action thats made from nylon:P unlike the lil m&p:D

Edit* the nylon 66 indeed has the bolt run against nylon so id put the M&P down to poorer quality nylon and design

Restricted does NOT mean it can't be liscensed,and to beat a long dead horse thread to death about "looks like an assault rifle" whether in .22 or centrefire is very bad law,and a non starter in making a decision in these cases.As has been proven enough times in district courts around the country.. The only way they should be considering this is as restricted is if you needed for some reason,a mag capacity above 10 shots here,rather than it's dubious looks.
    Ifyou want one stick in for it and take it from there.

Thanks for your comments. I won't bother applying for a restricted licence, too much hassle for the first gun. The thought of getting a 10/22 is growing on me.

Cant go wrong with one of them,and you can build/customise it to your specs very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I have a 10/22 - put an archangel nomad stock on it for fun. Changed back to a regular stock for rabbit shooting. That to me is the advantage of the 10/22

Chiparus wrote: »
    I have a 10/22 - put an archangel nomad stock on it for fun. Changed back to a regular stock for rabbit shooting. That to me is the advantage of the 10/22

Wouldn’t the archangel stock make it restricted? ;-)

Wouldn’t the archangel stock make it restricted? ;-)

No, putting in a >10 shot magazine would. (AFAIK).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

AFAIK there is nothing in the law to say that such a thing would make it restricted, you might make fudds cry though.

Fudd&lLiberal tears are excellent firearms lube.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Thanks for your comments. I won't bother applying for a restricted licence, too much hassle for the first gun. The thought of getting a 10/22 is growing on me.

Buy the cheapest model you can find or a secondhand one, throw most of it in the bin, barrel, stock etc and build the one you want.

I bought an old mossberg semi auto 22 cost me 100 euro ive had it for 6 years, cant kill the thing looks rough as pi$s on the outside bluing rubbed off, i refinished the stock so its a bit nicer :D also spent more getting it threaded and putting a mod on than i payed for the thing
    But the bore is like it walked out of the factory yesterday it shines back at you and it surprised me by putting ragged holes at 50 and 75 yards
    Buy a decent rifle buy it threaded and enjoy it!;)

Not much room for customization but it was a damn good first rifle and im not planning on ever selling it:p

I always fancied one of the Browning .22 semi-auto's, but the fact they load through the stock means they are a bullpup and therefore restricted.

What is a "Bull pup"? The gun Jesus and UK pal discuss...The definitions might surprise you and the PTB.:eek: From 5:14 it gets technical

tudderone wrote: »
    Buy the cheapest model you can find or a secondhand one, throw most of it in the bin, barrel, stock etc and build the one you want.

Or save up abit more and invest in a Schmeisser,or Hanel and have somthing that will last forever and if you want to go full bore,it's a question of two captive pins,an upper,and a different mag in a caliber selection from .22 mag up to 450 SOCOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

tudderone wrote: »
    I always fancied one of the Browning .22 semi-auto's, but the fact they load through the stock means they are a bullpup and therefore restricted.

I never really liked them. They are pretty much a pistol with a very very long barrel. :D

That said, why not go for one if you like them? The restricted licence shouldn't be an obstacle.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I never really liked them. They are pretty much a pistol with a very very long barrel. :D

That said, why not go for one if you like them? The restricted licence shouldn't be an obstacle.

I shot one at Hilltop range , - Actually really nice to shoot, really nice balance to the gun.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »

I think thats a different model you are thinking of, the buckmark with a long barrel and a stock.

This is what i mean.

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/sa-22-rifles.html

Advertisement