Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre broadband issue, losing patience rapidly

Options
  • 27-09-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭

Thursday 19th September my fibre broadband was installed. I asked the guy who was doing it to position the modem 10 feet from my front door beside my computer and beside the sockets in the room.

He tells me this cant be done for some made up reason and proceeds to put it right underneath my sitting room window which is where the cable came in. this requires an extension lead going across my sitting room to plug it in. In my opinion he just took the easy route to make it as handy as possible for himself.

When he is done I do some research online and find out I should have been able to get the modem anywhere in my house within 30 metres. I ring Eircom and get this confirmed and they say they dont know why the guy wouldnt do it. They then said a technician would be out to rectify this within 2-3 working days.

Wednesday 25th September after 4 working days and no sign of anyone I call Eircom to see what is going on. I am informed there is no record of anything and I have to explain what had happened again from scratch. Once again I am told a technician will be out within 2-3 working days.

Friday 27th September the technician arrives, it is the same guy who installed it in the first place. I tell him I want it moved and he says he cant do it. I ask why and he gives some rubbish that the modem can only be placed 1 metre from where the cable comes in. I tell him Eircom have told me it can go anywhere within 30 metres. He says he is the technician and we are all wrong and he is right and he refuses to move it. I tell him I will be contacting Eircom again to complain. He says I should buy homeplugs if I want to use it with my home computer which would cost me about 50 euros.

I then ring Eircom at 1pm and explain what has happened. I am told a fibre manager will call me back on the matter. At 4pm after no call I call back, I am told the fibre manager is on holiday for a week and he will forward my number and another manager will call me back.

It is now 7.30pm and I have still not received a call.

This is disgraceful customer service and I am appalled at being treated this way not to mention the unhelpful "technician" who would not entertain moving the modem. The modem is now under my sitting room window nowhere near a socket and looks ridiculous. It is useless as regards connecting it to my desktop which is at the far side of the room.

I would like something done about this now and I also will not be paying the current months bill because now I have been without the service I have been paying for for two weekends running.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

mdwexford wrote: »
    Thursday 19th September my fibre broadband was installed. I asked the guy who was doing it to position the modem 10 feet from my front door beside my computer and beside the sockets in the room.

He tells me this cant be done for some made up reason and proceeds to put it right underneath my sitting room window which is where the cable came in. this requires an extension lead going across my sitting room to plug it in. In my opinion he just took the easy route to make it as handy as possible for himself.

When he is done I do some research online and find out I should have been able to get the modem anywhere in my house within 30 metres. I ring Eircom and get this confirmed and they say they dont know why the guy wouldnt do it. They then said a technician would be out to rectify this within 2-3 working days.

Wednesday 25th September after 4 working days and no sign of anyone I call Eircom to see what is going on. I am informed there is no record of anything and I have to explain what had happened again from scratch. Once again I am told a technician will be out within 2-3 working days.

Friday 27th September the technician arrives, it is the same guy who installed it in the first place. I tell him I want it moved and he says he cant do it. I ask why and he gives some rubbish that the modem can only be placed 1 metre from where the cable comes in. I tell him Eircom have told me it can go anywhere within 30 metres. He says he is the technician and we are all wrong and he is right and he refuses to move it. I tell him I will be contacting Eircom again to complain. He says I should buy homeplugs if I want to use it with my home computer which would cost me about 50 euros.

I then ring Eircom at 1pm and explain what has happened. I am told a fibre manager will call me back on the matter. At 4pm after no call I call back, I am told the fibre manager is on holiday for a week and he will forward my number and another manager will call me back.

It is now 7.30pm and I have still not received a call.

This is disgraceful customer service and I am appalled at being treated this way not to mention the unhelpful "technician" who would not entertain moving the modem. The modem is now under my sitting room window nowhere near a socket and looks ridiculous. It is useless as regards connecting it to my desktop which is at the far side of the room.

I would like something done about this now and I also will not be paying the current months bill because now I have been without the service I have been paying for for two weekends running.

Hi mdwexford,

I am very sorry to hear of the issues you are having with getting your Fibre connected.

The best advice I can offer from this channel here is to contact the complaints team, they'll investigate this issue for you and give a resolution. There may be a reason as to why the technician can't connect the modem to where you require however we wouldn't be able to identify why unless it's investigated.

I have sent you on the complaints details through PM.

Sorry I can't help you any further.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

My latest update on this is.
    I was given a reference number on the 30th September, 1152357.
    A guy called Tom told me this was being sorted out and I would receive a call within 10 working days.

Today I ring to find out what the hell is going on and the guy tells me that case has been closed. I ask why and he says all unresolved cases are closed automatically by the system when they are not done within 3 days or some rubbish.

No one rang me, my case has not been resolved.

This is your last chance to do something before I go to Comreg and a solicitor because the way I have been treated over the past 6 weeks is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Today I ring to find out what the hell is going on and the guy tells me that case has been closed. I ask why and he says all unresolved cases are closed automatically by the system when they are not done within 3 days or some rubbish.

This unfortunately is not unusual when it comes to Eircom - A few months back we went through major issues with both our phone line and broadband; similar to yourself, they went ahead and closed our case because it had been 'resolved' despite the fact that we still had no phone line and obviously no broadband. 

I seriously wonder if any oversight goes into their support/technical department.

My advice would be put a lot of pressure on them every day until it is resolved; do not wait more than 2 days without hearing back from them. Its frustrating but we eventually got our issues sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jasper1

mdwexford is it possible that your particular connection types is FttH (assuming you are in Wexford town) rather than VDSL and this might have contributed to some of the issues here.

I don't know to be honest, I am in Wexford town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jasper1

Cables can be classed as suitable for external, internal or for both internal and external use. This is due to the material in the cable and the ability to withstand variable weather conditions. Wiring regulations place restrictions on how far into a building you can bring an external cable before converting to an internal cable. This might be the issue here with the fibre cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

My latest update on this is.
    I was given a reference number on the 30th September, 1152357.
    A guy called Tom told me this was being sorted out and I would receive a call within 10 working days.

This is your last chance to do something before I go to Comreg and a solicitor because the way I have been treated over the past 6 weeks is a disgrace.
    Hi mdwexford

We updated the case and escalated the issue to the efibre team separately. However it may be best to re-escalate the issue as an official complaint.

Mark 

How do I go about that Mark?

How do I go about that Mark?
    Hi mdwexford

Apologies, I have sent you a private message there with the details.

Mark

Rang that complaints number and got through to some guy in customer service who said that number doesnt exist anymore and there is no complaints team and I just got through to customer service.

He put me through to fibre who then passed the buck again to fibre after sales who I am waiting on here to answer. This is a joke.

I am documenting all of this to pass it on to Comreg.

Not to mention the 3 callbacks I have been promised each of the past 3 days which I never received and in all the weeks I have been trying to sort this out I have NEVER got a callback from anyone working for Eircom.

I have also asked to speak to a manager or supervisor multiple times on the phone and again have NEVER been put on the phone to one. The excuses have varied from "they are on holidays" to "there isnt really anyone in charge of that department".

• Advertisement

Another 40 minutes on the phone so far and I get through to some guy with a horrible attitude.
    Gives me a number of some wiring company 01-4957333, I say so I call them and they will come to Wexford and move my modem for free, he snidely says "I never said they would do it for free" and I dont know where they cover.

I say so Im meant to pay to have it moved when it was Eircoms mistake, he says theres nothing more he can do and will put me back to customer care. I say I want to speak to his supervisor, he says his supervisor wont talk to me about this and then proceeds to put me back on hold.

He comes back now and says he'll put me through to sales and a manager there can sort it out. I say put me straight through to a manager, he says he'll just put me through to the department and then you guessed it, im back on hold.

This is unbelievable, my next call is to Comreg when I get off the phone.

So I get put through to a guy called Gavin who says there is nothing he can do, I ask to speak to a manager he says there is no one to talk to about this. He says he will escalate it and I will get a call within 48 hours.

Total call time 62 minutes.

So I get put through to a guy called Gavin who says there is nothing he can do, I ask to speak to a manager he says there is no one to talk to about this. He says he will escalate it and I will get a call within 48 hours.

Total call time 62 minutes.
    Hi mdwexford

We will keep pushing the complaint all we can with the efibre escalation team to try push a response.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

I have now passed this on to Comreg so I will not be contacting Eircom about this matter again and will be pushing this as far as I can because the customer service or lack thereof that I have been treated with here has been the worst I have ever experienced.

Thanks Mark.

I have now passed this on to Comreg so I will not be contacting Eircom about this matter again and will be pushing this as far as I can because the customer service or lack thereof that I have been treated with here has been the worst I have ever experienced.
    Hi mdwexford

I appreciate your point. I am sorry we could help directly. I will keep updating the complaint with the efibre escalation team to try and push a resolution.

Thanks, Mark

Typical ****ty service from Eircom. It amazes me how they get away with it.

Don't be expecting too much from Comreg....they are useless too. They will open the lines of communication and then that's it. Theyll wash their hands of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crafty dodger

Hi there MD Wexford

This is a horrendous story of 'I couldn't care less'

If it is any consolation I am having a similar problem with Vodafone and still waiting for a response after 2 weeks and numerous emails!

They are basically all the same....just want to keep sales figures up and operational issues down and off the radar!
    Customer is a nuisance!

TheTorment wrote: »
    Typical ****ty service from Eircom. It amazes me how they get away with it.

Don't be expecting too much from Comreg....they are useless too. They will open the lines of communication and then that's it. Theyll wash their hands of it.
    Yeah its shocking and from reading other threads here its happening a lot.

Really, god thats awful news, thought they would do something about it.
    Hi there MD Wexford

This is a horrendous story of 'I couldn't care less'

If it is any consolation I am having a similar problem with Vodafone and still waiting for a response after 2 weeks and numerous emails!

They are basically all the same....just want to keep sales figures up and operational issues down and off the radar!
    Customer is a nuisance!
    Yeah I have had issues with Vodafone and Sky myself also, its unreal how bad customer service is these days.

At least with those two though its possible to speak to a manager and perhaps someone will take responsibility.
    Its as if Eircom Fibre has been rushed out and they havent a clue what to do if any issues arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Thanks Mark.

I completely understand your frustration mdwexford and our apologies we could not do more here to help.
    You should certainly have received the call back requested by now.
    If you do wish us to keep pressure on this issue for you, would you mind PMing us the comreg case ref. We may be able to help speed internal response.
    Tony

Hi Tony.

Comreg actually didnt give me a case ref, they just took my details and my Eircom account details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Tony.

Comreg actually didnt give me a case ref, they just took my details and my Eircom account details.
    Ok mdwexford
    I have asked that your case be re-examined here, and will get back to you with update, status and any action needed.
    Thanks for your patience, I will be back as fast as I can.

Tony

Amazingly I get a call from Eircom today at 3.58pm, what a coincidence.

The guy on the phone has said the modem might not be able to be moved so I fear hes trying to wriggle out of this situation, that will not be happening.

I was told on the phone the modem can go anywhere in the house within 30 metres, I want the modem literally 10 feet from my front door, if the modem cannot be placed this far away from peoples doors I dont think the product should be on the market.

Can anyone confirm anything about modem location?

This thread seems to indicate 30 feet, either way there seems to be no reason why my modem cant be located beside my sockets and computer in the corner of my living room.

Advertisement