Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Tax....are you paying attention?

Options
  • 27-09-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭

All,

This is just an FYI post as I'm sure I'm not the only one.

As we all know the direct debits started in July, the first payment for me was correct, the next two however were more than the stipulated amount in the various correspondence. I did a quick call to the revenue today trying to find out what is going on. Nice lady on the phone confirmed that I was being overcharged and has now adjusted the remaining payments for this year.

Anyway, just a word to you all, check the amounts and ensure you are being charged what you have declared, not a random revenue figure that may see you paying more than you should.

EDIT: To include references for anyone else who may wish to contact revenue.

Property Tax Section of Revenue Website: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/faqs/household.html

Contact Details for queries:
    If your query relates to:

Payment made by you before 1 July 2013, you should contact the Household Charge Support Centre on LoCall 1890 357357 or 01 485 3695, by email: support@householdcharge.ie or by post:- PO BOX 12168, Dublin 1.

Payment made by you to Revenue on or after 1 July 2013, you should contact the LPT Helpline on 1890 200 255 or +353 1 7023049 (Outside ROI only) and by email: lptHCArrears@revenue.ie.

Contact Details for Overpayments made prior to July 2013:
    If you overpaid the Household Charge before 1 July 2013, your application for a refund can be made through contacting the Household Charge Support Centre, PO Box 12168, Dublin 1 or LoCall 1890-357357 or 01-485 3695 and requesting the Refund form HC12B. For further details or to download the Refund form, visit https://www.householdcharge.ie/Faq.aspx.External link

Important note: Revenue will deal with any refund claims relating to Household Charge arrears that were paid to Revenue on or after 1 July 2013.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Cheers. Helpful post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Must admit - havn't been paying attention , .

Have letter from Revenue that 1st instalment would be 7.50 and it was on 15th July .
    2nd direct debit was also 7.50 on 15th August .

Have no idea what this covers nor duration of this 7.50

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Must admit - havn't been paying attention , .

Have letter from Revenue that 1st instalment would be 7.50 and it was on 15th July .
    2nd direct debit was also 7.50 on 15th August .

Have no idea what this covers nor duration of this 7.50

The monthly deduction should equate to the amount for 2013/6 as it is only for the second half of the year. You should have received a letter stating what the amount is and when it would be deducted. The monthly amount will be the same next year, but it will be 12 installments instead of 6.

For me I owed €112 for 2013 which is €18.66 per month. August and September however had me paying just over €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I'm okay then - €45 / 6 = 7.50

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

They certainly don't seem to be on the ball with charges. I was charged in my last paycheck for a property that I had been renting three years ago! Contacted them today & they said they got the name as I had had an ESB bill there in my name. Crazy stuff... As if having a utility bill at an address automatically implies ownership. They then wanted me to give them information on the actual owner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seems tenants may also get charged, by "accident"; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057081670

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

They certainly don't seem to be on the ball with charges. I was charged in my last paycheck for a property that I had been renting three years ago! Contacted them today & they said they got the name as I had had an ESB bill there in my name. Crazy stuff... As if having a utility bill at an address automatically implies ownership. They then wanted me to give them information on the actual owner...

This shows that we really need a full, detailed database of all houses and their owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭musicfan1ie

Revenue don't seem on the ball with this yet. For my place last year, I never received a notice saying I needed to pay, but I went online and paid anyway.

I still haven't received anything about next year. Seems I will have to be proactive again with them and be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Maybe this has been answered before but a search hasn't been fruitful..

I'm in the process of purchasing a house but there's been an EXTREMELY frustrating delay due to personal disputes amoung the sellers, with the result that the final contracts will not now be signed until the new year.

Now this delay is annoying enough but I'm a first time buyer and was hoping to avail of the exemption from the P. Tax.

Does anyone know if there are plans for the exemption to be continued for first time buyers into 2014?

I'm devastated. That 700 odd euro over the next three years would be extremely useful to me as money is tight entering into my first property purchase.

If I'm not exempt I'm seriously considering asking for that money to be knocked off the house price/deposit as compensation for a completely unnecessary delay.

Thanks in advance for any info!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Maybe this has been answered before but a search hasn't been fruitful..

I'm in the process of purchasing a house but there's been an EXTREMELY frustrating delay due to personal disputes amoung the sellers, with the result that the final contracts will not now be signed until the new year.

Now this delay is annoying enough but I'm a first time buyer and was hoping to avail of the exemption from the P. Tax.

Does anyone know if there are plans for the exemption to be continued for first time buyers into 2014?

I'm devastated. That 700 odd euro over the next three years would be extremely useful to me as money is tight entering into my first property purchase.

If I'm not exempt I'm seriously considering asking for that money to be knocked off the house price/deposit as compensation for a completely unnecessary delay.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Sorry about the delays but its not as bad as you think.
    The exemption was to cover the lpt of 2013, 14 & 15. You've missed the boat on this one but you're not liable for 2013 anyway and the existing owners should have already paid or committed to pay 2014. So 2015 onwards is what you are liable for.... One year lost, not three...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

For anybody paying the LPT via Direct Debit in March you can select a different method of payment i.e. Debit/Credit card to pay the tax instead of paying it by direct debit only just realised this.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Just received a letter from the revenue saying i owe them 225 for my property for last year and also for this year but it was suppose to be paid before nov 2013. Was looking into my tax bracket for my house and even thou i honestly dont know what its worth(does anyone in this climate) but i have came to the conclusion that i should be paying 150, not the 225. Just wondering will i have to pay them 300 or can i get away with just paying 150 for the 2013 and pay the other 150 near the end of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Hey I elected to have the LPT debited from my account on 15th March - it hasn't happened yet. What's going on?

born2bwild wrote: »
    Hey I elected to have the LPT debited from my account on 15th March - it hasn't happened yet. What's going on?

The 15th of March wasn't a working day, debits aren't processed when the banks are closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

The date for anyone opting to pay by SDA (Single Debit Authority) is 21st March, so you should see the money coming out this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

I've been paying the LPT monthly by direct debit which is supposed to come out on the 15th of each month. It hasn't been taken out this month. Has this happened anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Valetta wrote: »
    The date for anyone opting to pay by SDA (Single Debit Authority) is 21st March, so you should see the money coming out this Friday.

Yeah? it hasn't happened yet. Set it up for 15-3-14 but nothing so far. I guess I'll have to phone the fyckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

Valetta wrote: »

Mine hasn't come out of my account yet. Gonna wait til next week to ring them if it hasn't come out by then.

born2bwild wrote: »
    Yeah? it hasn't happened yet. Set it up for 15-3-14 but nothing so far. I guess I'll have to phone the fyckers.

As far as I can recall you did not have a choice of date if opting for the SDA payment method.

Mine came out on the 21st, as did others that I know.
    Zil2011 wrote: »
    Mine hasn't come out of my account yet. Gonna wait til next week to ring them if it hasn't come out by then.

I would say if it didn't come out on the 21st, then there was something wrong with the set-up.

A quick call should sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm sale agreed on a property and just put the area and house details into the property tax calculator on Daft and it put me 2 brackets above the price we've agreed to pay. How will that work when we come to pay the LPT? The house needs a good bit of work so ultimately it will be worth more than we will be paying for it but it will most likely take us 3-4 years to get that work done.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    I'm sale agreed on a property and just put the area and house details into the property tax calculator on Daft and it put me 2 brackets above the price we've agreed to pay. How will that work when we come to pay the LPT? The house needs a good bit of work so ultimately it will be worth more than we will be paying for it but it will most likely take us 3-4 years to get that work done.

Have you any idea what the current owners valued it for the tax?

If it was me I would use the price you are paying as by definition this is the accurate valuation. (Once it is an arms lenght sale). That value will hold until 2016 under the current legislation.

You are under no obligation to take into account any future rises in value, regardless of how they come about.

No idea what it's currently valued at, I'll ask the agent. I think that the daft calculator is over valuing the area as I put in the details for a neighbouring house that sold last year and that was estimated at a much higher value than the sale price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Just a quickie question on the LPT and last chance to correct undervaluation by 31 March- if the value placed on a property last year under the self valuation for LPT (and based on local property values at the time) is now surpassed by increasing property prices, should the valuation for LPT purposes be revised upwards ? In other words, do rising property prices warrant upward valuation for LPT purposes ?

Just a quickie question on the LPT and last chance to correct undervaluation by 31 March- if the value placed on a property last year under the self valuation for LPT (and based on local property values at the time) is now surpassed by increasing property prices, should the valuation for LPT purposes be revised upwards ? In other words, do rising property prices warrant upward valuation for LPT purposes ?

Once the original valuation was fair, then you are fine.

Nobody had a crystal ball two years ago, and if the value had dropped in that period you can be sure you wouldn't be getting any reduction -:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I made a payment last year on the 01/08/2013 in full for the year 2013.
    I got a letter in the on the 14th of April 2014 saying that the LGMA cross referenced the LPT and said i didn't pay. I am worried does this mean I didn't pay in time and they are going to charge me €200 or will i be grand?

Also when does this year have to be paid? I have not received to say home much and when i have to pay.

The whole thing is a bit of shamble to begin with.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I made a payment last year on the 01/08/2013 in full for the year 2013.
    I got a letter in the on the 14th of April 2014 saying that the LGMA cross referenced the LPT and said i didn't pay. I am worried does this mean I didn't pay in time and they are going to charge me €200 or will i be grand?

Also when does this year have to be paid? I have not received to say home much and when i have to pay.

The whole thing is a bit of shamble to begin with.
    I'm guessing the letter from the 14th April means you haven't paid 2014's fee. Wasn't that due on the 1st of January?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Howdy all.

This probably was asked before....so sorry.

Bought a house in May 2014 from the previous owners family.

Got a property tax bill of 497.

Are first time buyers exempt for a year or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

Howdy all.

This probably was asked before....so sorry.

Bought a house in May 2014 from the previous owners family.

Got a property tax bill of 497.

Are first time buyers exempt for a year or so?

This exemption was only applicable to buyers from 2013.

Unfortunately you are liable for the property tax for the rest of 2014 if this wasn't paid by the previous owner as far as I'm aware.

Bought a house at the end of August and got a bill for 2015 today. Though in a weird move they sent the bill to my parents house instead of the house the bill is for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ice87 wrote: »
    This exemption was only applicable to buyers from 2013.

Unfortunately you are liable for the property tax for the rest of 2014 if this wasn't paid by the previous owner as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement