Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minix Neo X7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Mmmh.. tempted myself now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Tis an interesting product. Some more research will have to be done.... that review is on the company website so I want to see a more critical review or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I went ahead and bought one, the stock software is very buggy but I installed finless rom and a custom Kernel and its now smooth with no crashes\lockups in three days

XMBC is working fine, few minor niggles but nothing show stopping but I prefer to use Archos Video with MX player

Its a nice replacement for my power hungry HTPC, but the software is very young

so if you are tempted to purchase you will have to be willing to tweak and try different roms as they mature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ufc pro

im running the older x5 with no problms, i use it for xbmc only and it is perfect, but i have read that alot of people are having problems with quadcore's at the moment, ill be updating soon myself, and definatly going with the ouya, i had a lend of one for a week and it is flawless, full 1080 and 3d not a gitch, hardware acceleration supported too!
    its a shame the x7 does not work as well as it should because i really like the minix products and they get good support too! im sure they will sort it soon enough, but for now ouya all the way!

• Advertisement

aye I know where you are coming from, I looked at the Ouya and was considering it

but think I just like to tinker about with a device far too much, have to say the finless rom with the correct kernel for my box is pretty good, sorted out my torrent issues with it (which was one of my main concerns)

its now rock stable and running Android buttery smooth

pretty happy with it and I think the ROMS are only going to improve for this Rockwell chip, until i get bored :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

kingtiger wrote: »
    I went ahead and bought one, the stock software is very buggy but I installed finless rom and a custom Kernel and its now smooth with no crashes\lockups in three days

XMBC is working fine, few minor niggles but nothing show stopping but I prefer to use Archos Video with MX player

Its a nice replacement for my power hungry HTPC, but the software is very young

so if you are tempted to purchase you will have to be willing to tweak and try different roms as they mature

Must look at this. Purchased a few weeks back only got to use over the last week. Initial impressions are very poor. Some notes below which I probably need to research solutions to but problems nonetheless.

- Remote control very difficult to work with, particularly for setup
    - Netflix app causes the system to freeze after x minutes of usage
    - Netflix via browser loses connection to Netflix (fine on my laptop - same internet connection)
    - Unable to use XBMC to watch videos from my hard drive (video freezes after x minutes - sound remains)
    - Tried some other video players and they were unsuitable for large directories of movies
    - Random restarts of the device - I have encountered three, unsure what the pattern is
    - SkyGo app doesnt work. SkyGo via browser requires SilverLight. I should probably have known this prior to purchase!
    - Not overly impressed by the XMBC add on's. I must delve into this further but as somebody completely new to it - hard to browse, many links not working, many add on's I will probably never use, varying quality.

don't use Netflix or XBMC (just installed to see it in action), so couldnt tell you anything about them

try the latest Finless ROM as its pretty much perfect, my box has been on since I flashed it with no crashes, I have a Logitech Dinovo Mini from my HTPC so never used the boxed remote

I also used Sambadroid to share my USB drive and stream to a wdtv box upstairs through homeplugs

its working perfectly for what I want it for, basically a low power streaming HUB for all my other devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I just purchased the X7 mini version. En route to me now via Parcel Motel, on a stag this weekend so I will set it up on Sunday/Monday depending on how good the stag weekend is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I just purchased the X7 mini version. En route to me now via Parcel Motel, on a stag this weekend so I will set it up on Sunday/Monday depending on how good the stag weekend is.

So how did you get on with the mini ?:)

• Advertisement

Got my Minix Neo X7 today from Geekbuyers delivered by DHL but hit for €42 from Belgian customs worked out at €156. :mad:

Good item and happy but if I had gone to Ebay.de:confused:http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=Minix+Neo+X7+&_sacat=0&_from=R40

could have got for between €20 or €30 less plus knowing I was close-by if I had a problem.

Live and learn.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Sorrty to bump an old thread. I was quite keen to buy one of these until I read some of the bad reviews floating around.

I appreciate that these units need a bit of love...I'm not concerend about having to root or flash roms etc. I'm more concerend about XBMC and Netflix performance. How have you guys got on since you bought...has anything changed / improved basically?

Im on Finles Rom 1.7. XBMC still crashes with higher quality files. Its great for organising my movies but not very confident in it working each time. Still the occasional random crash on Netflix. Overall not very impressed with the device.

Are there any other media players I could try? I rarely use the device now as a result as my tv can play my movies fine via usb.

Im on Finles Rom 1.7. XBMC still crashes with higher quality files. Its great for organising my movies but not very confident in it working each time. Still the occasional random crash on Netflix. Overall not very impressed with the device.

Finless 1.8 is out quite a while, its rock stable on my box but then again I use Plex and not XBMC or Netflix

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8578-NEW-Minix-Neo-X7-Finless-1-8-ROM

You use plex on the Minix Neo to connect to a plex server?

You use plex on the Minix Neo to connect to a plex server?

yeah, have dedi server, d/l all my stuff there and steam it too the box

kingtiger wrote: »
    yeah, have dedi server, d/l all my stuff there and steam it too the box

That would be my problem. Time to invest in a server me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭properbo

Be careful where u buy it from.http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2295267

Think i've been ripped off ;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I have been using Minix 7 from last 8 months flawlessly, No crashing and no bugging...I haven't installed any ROMS on it...I mostly use it for XBMC which came out of the box and RTE player some times...I like the much cleaner UI/quality of Netflix on smart TV than android devices...

I have the Minix 7 with no roms installed. I find it not great and a cheap HDMi Android dongle works as good if not better. I got it for the analogue audio out option.

Needed another PCTV box and ordered this today. Cost around €40 so interested to see how it works out.

$_57.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ufc pro

any specs??

Advertisement