Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about compression

Options
  • 27-09-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to play a sweep or pad, over a beat (bass drum mainly) and for the sound on the pad to cut in and out when the beat plays, as if I was hitting the keys on the beat as well.

I'm not sure whether this is compression or something else but perhaps someone with a bit more experience could enlighten me! Thanks :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

SuprSi wrote: »
    I'm looking to play a sweep or pad, over a beat (bass drum mainly) and for the sound on the pad to cut in and out when the beat plays, as if I was hitting the keys on the beat as well.

I'm not sure whether this is compression or something else but perhaps someone with a bit more experience could enlighten me! Thanks :D

That's called sidechain compression. There's plenty of tutorials up on youtube on how to achieve it. Just search in relation to whatever DAW you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Yep, sidechain compression. It ducks (the pad or whatever in and out between the beats and can give a nice pumping effect. Youtube the method for your DAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Perfect, thanks both that's exactly what I was looking for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

And some of the upgraded devices in ableton have sidechaining options as well if you dont want to use compression. Or if ya want just use the max for live point blank autosidechain plug its awesome :

http://www.pointblankonline.net/free-stuff/free-plugins.php

Advertisement