Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenroe

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

I don't think glenroe is coming back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

s8n wrote: »
    I don't think glenroe is coming back

It would be interesting to see what type of series a 2010s Glenroe would be. The innocence of the 1980s series would not attract an audience today clearly and the fact that it did not move with the times killed it in 2001.

Shades of Love/Hate styled crime drama would have to be added into it while also issues like the banking crisis, land sold for development and other issues and their effect on farming would feature. In other words, an Irish version of Emmerdale!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Sons and Daughters was another Aussie import at the time iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Gas to think of Mario Rosenstock in Glenore all those years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Remember when Mary accidently took magic mushrooms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it getting a repeat, some images in RTE Christmas highlights

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is it getting a repeat, some images in RTE Christmas highlights

There's a special episode airing on December 27th called "Well Holy God It's Glenroe" with some of the cast looking back on the series as well as paying tribute to some of the cast members who have since passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

There's a special episode airing on December 27th called "Well Holy God It's Glenroe" with some of the cast looking back on the series as well as paying tribute to some of the cast members who have since passed away.

That should be good so long it's just cast members who feature and we are spared the usual talking head rent a quotes who always seem to turn up on these type of programmes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That was a nice trip down memory lane. Stevie was a big character in the soap and didn't get a look in really. Then I seen Mina in one of the photos, remember that cantankerous old boot? They'd only an hour so there's only so much you can squeeze in. Loved David Kellys character. It was full of nostalgia overload.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

Really enjoyed that programme just now. Sad to think how many of them are no longer with us....no wonder Mary McEvoy shed a few tears on her way to meet Blathnaid Treacey at the farm.....it must have been so nostalgic for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

sligeach wrote: »
    That was a nice trip down memory lane. Stevie was a big character in the soap and didn't get a look in really. Then I seen Mina in one of the photos, remember that cantankerous old boot? They'd only an hour so there's only so much you can squeeze in. Loved David Kellys character. It was full of nostalgia overload.

God yeah, Mina Timlin I think her name was.....she'd a finger in every pie....I seem to remember her making Michelle's life a misery....Michelle was a pretty girl, blonde...was she a barmaid or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,813 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Maryanne40 wrote: »
    God yeah, Mina Timlin I think her name was.....she'd a finger in every pie....I seem to remember her making Michelle's life a misery....Michelle was a pretty girl, blonde...was she a barmaid or something?

A barmaid and I think she may have been the only Dublin character on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Great little trip down memory lane. It's a shame they didn't make a two or three part series out of it though - plenty of long serving characters like Michelle and her lot didn't get mentioned at all, and Stephen and Blackie (two of the most popular characters) only got mentioned in passing.

I know I've posted this already, but seems like perfect opportunity for a re-post...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What a brilliant exchange between Fr Devereaux and Dinny.

Fr Devereaux: You know, Dinny. In all my time, i've never come across a more devious man as yourself.

Dinny: Thanks very much, Father. A man can only try his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I think Glenroe ran out of steam at the end, it was an excellent programme at times, maintained it's innocence whilst still moving with the times and dealing with topical issues, such as Biddy losing her faith, the priest leaving the church, issues with travellers.

I also think the once a week format suited it, as someone else here said it leads to better writing, less exaggerated storylines and better production overall.

Is there place for a rural Ireland based soap in the mould of The Riordans or Glenroe?

Probably.

But it needs good production and good stories dealing with rural issues. It needs to stay away from wildly exaggerated stories but it can still deal with contemporary issues like abortion, homelessness, alcoholism, immigration/emigration and still have a few funny one liners. For this it needs good writers and a decent budget from RTE. If it all comes together then a 60 minute programme once a week is a possibility.

Red Rock shows that the acting and writing talent and the production expertise is there, RTE just need to get their collective finger out and get on board.

BTW, I always preferred Bracken to Glenroe, pity it had such a short run. I remember it being seriously controversial at the time, even tough I was about 10 when it ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭George White

Bracken also has good actors. Dana Wynter, star of Invasion of the Body Snatchers being one of them, bizarrely, as she lived in Ireland at the time.

Advertisement