Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi stopped working on Windows 8 Samsung

Options
  • 27-09-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Some help needed please, Bought a new samsung Laptop last weekend and connected by to my wifi with no issues and worked perfectly all week. I went to start up this evening and I noticed a small asterisk over the wifi indicator but the bars were not showing on. Is there a simple explanation by any chance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Can you connect with other devices?

Switch your modem/router off for 30 seconds and back on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

Hi, yeah the ipad connects to router so think that's working grand . I tried connecting the laptop to my phone as a hotspot and didn't work so think the problem is to do with the wireless connection on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

i had problems with windows 8 and wifi, only solution was restarting the laptop, seems to have been fixed since my last update

I restarted a few times and did a system restore but no change. Do you mean a software update?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Don't suppose there is a physical switch at the sides or around the keyboard with a wifi symbol on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^^^
    or a Fn key with wireless on it?

Thanks guys I've being looking, tried the FN key and F12 that was showing a wifi symbol but only brought up Flight mode.

Its Fn key and F11 at the same time on mine?

Just tried that there done nothin?

Take it you can't see any other networks?
    Have you gone into device manager see if there are driver issues
    have you tried going into the bios to make sure its switched on there?
    Have you dropped it?
    What laptop is it?

• Advertisement

It's showing up five or six different networks,Looked in device manager and is saying all drivers are running perfectly. it's a Samsung only have it a week.

Its sounds like a corrupt wireless profile, you'll have to clear wireless profiles from the command prompt.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows-8/manage-wireless-network-profiles

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

go to network and sharing centre

manage wireless networks

remove the wireless connection

then go to connect to a network

choose your wireless network

enter wifi key

choose YES when prompted about sharing files and folders to put you on a home network with net access

choosing no will result in windows 8 putting u in a public network and blocks net access

crappy i know but thats microsoft for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

Not a samsung but my lenovo g580 stopped working few weeks into windows 8 upgrade, limited wireless connections , 3 other xp laptops had no problem connecting to home network, tried everything ,eventually got sent back to lenovo they replaced atheros wireless module, which also was causing the cursor to jump around whilst typing, it is appartly a known problem the guy on phone from support told me so.

Thanks folks, i disabled and re-anabled the wireless connection in the network and sharing centre and it worked when re-entered the wiki key,only after working.

Advertisement