Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand off at Waterford Castle Ferry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Looks like it is time to build a bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Just found the news:
    "It is understood that the operator of the ferry which runs between the island and the mainland decided to stop his service at around 8pm.

The ferry is currently in the middle of the channel and is not breaking any maritime law.

Gardaí have been called but they say that the matter is a civil dispute.
    They are on the mainland, along with some very irate people who were booked in for dinner in the hotel this evening."

That's some serious issue to be addressed in order to keep the wedding bookings.
    Imagine the wedding guests stranded on either side of the channel.

Wlrfm (Official)
    The dispute has been resolved. Ferry up and running again.
    Like · Reply · 11 minutes ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wouldn't it make sense for the Hotel to run the ferry, I've never been out there, is it a free moving ferry or just a glorified plank of wood running on a chain?

See yourself: http://goo.gl/maps/h6SNm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Can imagine that ferry costs a lot of money to run

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

mike65 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it make sense for the Hotel to run the ferry,

The company that runs the ferry is owned by a relation of the old owner of the island. It was only a matter of time before this scenario happened:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Viserion

Heard about this last night. I wonder are Waterford Castle still insisting that it's "business as usual" when it clearly is not. We got married there in August and aside from the food it is definitely not business as usual.

WLR FM 9am news said the second standoff started at 1am and is still going. Management wishes the case resolved by 10am due to the scheduled wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Is there anyone still stranded on there apart from staff? Would not be impressed at all if I was the wedding party - talk about unnecessary stress!

http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/190608.html#.UkaQP7e3C8k.twitter

Helicopter hire could be the answer for a while ;) (for the rich folks anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I cant understand why they wont build a bridge, whats the ferry costing to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

What are the lads in the black jackets? Were these the security guys who took over the boat?

Camera man was allowed to be there its a public place...

Strange one last night with a stand off on a cable ferry to Waterford Island. Call to NMOC that Ferry had been taken over with persons onboard. Gardai and Navy informed as its a Garda matter. Contact made by NMOC with security officer onboard. Dunmore East Coast Guard tasked to the scene at 2100 as 'eyes' and stand by rescue boat. Concern for diabetic stuck on the island. 2200 Incident resolved by Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

some assholes on that video!!! press have a right to film what they want in a public place, not one local person was employed to secure the island i see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

It's my cousins wedding there today. I'm not going but would have serious reservations about risking going across and getting stuck.

Feel so sorry for my cousin though. Doesn't need this stress!

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    i feel sorry for your cousin too,if this is whats goin to happen on the wedding day

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Doylers wrote: »
    I cant understand why they wont build a bridge, whats the ferry costing to run?

It was looked into a good few years back I believe. Basically the channel where the ferry is located needs to be free from a fixed bridge as it is the alternate route up the river if the main channel becomes blocked.
    afatbollix wrote: »
    What are the lads in the black jackets? Were these the security guys who took over the boat?

Camera man was allowed to be there its a public place...

The security you see in the video are contracted by the receiver to protect the assets on the island.

There was a separate group of people who were sent by the owner of the ferry to shut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

went over today, theres heavy security on the ferry.. 1 on the control deck, 1 inside the control room, 2 on the deck with the cars, security on either side where the ferry docks...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

some assholes on that video!!! press have a right to film what they want in a public place, not one local person was employed to secure the island i see

Yeah and your man in the shirt and pants on the phone was a complete pr1ck. All foreigners as the security as well , no wonder the country is fcuked :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

anyone know what the whole story is? Obviously its money but what the hell... can they not sit around a table

I dont know if there was a table on the ferry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Yeah and your man in the shirt and pants on the phone was a complete pr1ck. All foreigners as the security as well , no wonder the country is fcuked :(

Well boi, actually not all were foreigners..., I was working there.

Do you have a problem with good men doing a tough job....

Honestly, most Irish would rather not work than take a job that's " below their standards"....

Are you another DOLE monkey?

Up2NoGood wrote: »

Honestly, most Irish would rather not work than take a job that's " below their standards"....

Would'nt exactly call doin security a tough job, did it for years found it boring to be honest, i'd say this is about as much action as that crew are gonna get to be honest and when the island finds a new buyer they'll all be dole monkeys as you would call it!!!

Ive also been security over the years, and depending on what sector your in, it can be either boring or full on.. so.. in saying that, your both right, its a tough job and its a boring job, just depending on what your doing.

As for the most Irish rather not working. Thats just ridiculous.. unless you can back it with some sort of official stats for the country, nationals and non then theres no point in making accusations.. You may as well be trying to give advice on fashion.. but if your not an expert in the field, your probably going to be wrong.

Ohh and Dole monkeys.. thats a lovely term..
    I hope you dont use that term to address any of your unemployed family or friends.
    God help you if you become unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

And whats their problem been filmed in a public place, is it a macho thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Up2NoGood wrote: »

But theyre taking our jobs and stealing our women!! Seriously though Im sick of the racism thats endemic in our society..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Luckycharms_74, banned for a week, Anyone that makes any xenophobic or racist comments is getting even longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't suppose i can post the South Park "Dey tuk our jobs!" pic then?? :P

• Advertisement

Just a note, its was xenophobic rather than racist comment :) (and it may not even have been that really, maybe an observation on locals not willing to do a job a foreigner will)

Okay I'll shut up now :o

Advertisement