Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand off at Waterford Castle Ferry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Would'nt exactly call doin security a tough job, did it for years found it boring to be honest, i'd say this is about as much action as that crew are gonna get to be honest and when the island finds a new buyer they'll all be dole monkeys as you would call it!!!

Bit of an idiotic post, it's not a phrase I've heard before, glad to see you have respect for the unemployed of this country.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lads can you please stay on topic and enough of going on about the unemployed,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

Nypd wrote: »
    Bit of an idiotic post, it's not a phrase I've heard before, glad to see you have respect for the unemployed of this country.
    i was merely quoting and being sarcastic about an idiotic post by someone else, maybe you would wanna go back and read the rest of the posts before ya jump the gun nypd

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lads, relax. The last thing we want is them stealing our arguments too! :O

On a serious note, put the hand bags away and lets get back on topic. Please. Thank You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

Sully wrote: »
    Lads, relax. The last thing we want is them stealing our arguments too! :O

On a serious note, put the hand bags away and lets get back on topic. Please. Thank You.
    brilliant sully haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

jaysus..
    Anyways, unsure if its the same driver as the ferry was a bit all over the gaff!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fudark

Anyway, how are things now at the ferry? Is it running? Is there any risk in going to the Castle? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

As an aside, a major reason (other than cost) for no bridge was it would ruin the look and feel of the island. When the major redevelopment happened a few years back the city council roads section recommended that a bridge be built.As far as i remember the Port had no objection but the planning office felt that the island was a unique assets to the city and should remain as is, they were to get a bigger ferry though (never happened)

Kings Channel would require major dredging to be used as an alternative route up river and as the main port is mainstream of the island there is no need to consider it as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

invalid wrote: »
    As an aside, a major reason (other than cost) for no bridge was it would ruin the look and feel of the island. When the major redevelopment happened a few years back the city council roads section recommended that a bridge be built.As far as i remember the Port had no objection but the planning office felt that the island was a unique assets to the city and should remain as is, they were to get a bigger ferry though (never happened)

Kings Channel would require major dredging to be used as an alternative route up river and as the main port is mainstream of the island there is no need to consider it as an alternative.

They could build a backup tunnel out of the island.. Waterford loves spending money on silly things!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

0rt wrote: »
    They could build a backup tunnel out of the island.. Waterford loves spending money on silly things!

...or maybe a Dukes of Hazzard jump. It's not that far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

The receiver at Waterford Castle has told the High Court that it's business as usual at the hotel and golf course. The ferry to the island refused to take passengers to and from the resort for around 12 hours between Friday night and Saturday morning last. Eoin Ryan told Mr Justice Gerald Hogan that the resort has now acquired a new ferry.It will be delivered in the coming days to replace the existing service. This he says will represent a new and positive era at Waterford Castle.
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/190739-waterford-castle-receiver-tells-high-court-it-has-aquired-a-new-ferry.html
    The Irish Times reports that a dispute over the seizure of a ferry that provides the only access to an island hotel and golf course came before the High Court yesterday.Waterford Castle Hotel, on an island on the river Suir at Little Island, Ballinakill, Waterford, began proceedings against the ferry owners.Cendant Ltd, which runs the hotel and golf course, the receiver of the complex Eoin Ryan, and Fabjoll, the firm running the ferry service, brought the action against the vessel’s owners, Galtee Plant Hire.Under a charter agreement, the Loreley sailed between the foreshore and the island where the hotel is located. The ferry owners, who became unhappy with the manner in which the charter agreement was assigned by the receiver to Fabjoll last August, decided to terminate its charter with the hotel on September 16th. The hotel was given 14 days’ notice of the decision. On September 27th, the hotel claimed a director of Galtee, Noel Simpson, and some men seized control of the ferry. As a result, Cendant, Fabjoll and the receiver obtained temporary High Court orders restraining Galtee and Mr Simpson from entering on to or interfering with the vessel.The ferry started running again after the injunction was secured.The matter came before Mr Justice Gerard Hogan at the High Court yesterday. Following discussions it was agreed the ferry would continue to provide the service until the end of the week. The receiver has made arrangements for a replacement vessel.The injunction is to remain in place until Friday. Mr Justice Hogan welcomed the agreement. Earlier this year a liquidator and a receiver was appointed to the two companies that own and operate the Waterford Castle Hotel and golf course. National Asset Loan Management Ltd, an arm of Nama, was granted an order winding up the two companies, Negold Ltd and Cendant Ltd, which owe Nama just under €34 million.
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/190769-ferry-owners-told-to-resume-service-to-waterford-castle-hotel.html

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

This is scaring me, I have my wedding there in three months.....has anyone been to a wedding there recently? was there anything to worry about?

There's nothing scary now. The new ferry is in the full ownership of the castle. Such situation won't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

beazee wrote: »
    There's nothing scary now. The new ferry is in the full ownership of the castle. Such situation won't happen again.

I Thought they were just chartering in another vessel , not buying one in which seems like a large capital expense / outlay for a company in examinership.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 irishlenny

Ferry stopped again in case anyone wa planning to go to the hotel :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

It looks like stopped forever...

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Customs seized it apparently. Hotel is saying that a new one is due tomorrow.

Is everything going as scheduled despite the weather? Are they sailing the ferry from wherever they sourced it from or is it coming by some sort of the flatbed truck?

heard it's stucked in belfast due to bad weather:)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

And what's so funny about that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ILoveShoez wrote: »
    And what's so funny about that?

I guess people find people's jobs at risk somehow amusing,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Customs seized it apparently. Hotel is saying that a new one is due tomorrow.

Customs seized it?! Why?!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

No idea. My folks were staying out there at the time and it was a struggle to get the ferry to bring them back across to the island so they could pick up their stuff to leave.

Waterford castle confirmed last night that they got an injunction against the seizure and the ferry is now running normally again.

Customs seized it?! Why?!

Customs have the power to act on court orders to Seize and Arrest vessels to prevent them sailing.

Is it possible that the ex director of the castle also has something to do with the company whom owns the ferry hence their assets have been seized in a wider swoop ?

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd say it's more of a sarcastic smile. Waterford Castle not having a good card at the moment and when, by the look of things, everything got sorted there comes Customs and a bad weather. What's left when even the weather plays against you? What's left than a smile when crying inside?

Jambo wrote: »
    Is it possible that the ex director of the castle also has something to do with the company whom owns the ferry

Yes, they're brothers.
    Cabaal wrote: »

It's about my job too, that's why it's so funny:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    Well boi, actually not all were foreigners..., I was working there.

Do you have a problem with good men doing a tough job....

Honestly, most Irish would rather not work than take a job that's " below their standards"....

Are you another DOLE monkey?

As i got banned for 1 week I'm only replying to your post now

My point being made was that Irish people were not getting the jobs. It had nothing to do with racism or prejudice against any particular race. I have many friends who are non - nationals and I am not a racist.

As for your "Dole Monkey" reference I'm lucky enough to say I have never had to claim the dole. I have been working and paying takes for the past 20 years.

God help you if you label all people who don't work or can't work "Dole Monkeys"

Done with this thread now

New ferry for Waterford Castle is already in the town. It was parked on the Quay all day, will start service from monday.

• Advertisement

kaef wrote: »
    New ferry for Waterford Castle is already in the town. It was parked on the Quay all day, will start service from monday.

Seen that alright looks like the one from Lough Foyle that they used when they were building the houses on the island

Advertisement