Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dayum wrote: »
    Sadly it's the state of the modern industry ...

Those games that are hardcore like, say, Red Orchestra (which you'd probably love btw) don't get the sales and are subsequently left with minor resources in contrast which leaves them a bit rough around the edges of sorts.

Yeah, that's nonsensical silliness.

Here, have a look. Skip to 10:05 for the comparison with how Bohemia handles how they sell their technically superior game and its DLC to how EA handles bending us over a table to get the last dregs from our wallet sells theirs.

What you'll see in there is a game that has superior movement mechanics, superior graphical quality, superior vehicle mechanics, superior ballistics modelling, more vehicles, more boats, more submarines, more aircraft, more helicopters, more everything than BF4. Incuding more players - 120 players in one game is something you see on public servers fairly often without everything falling over.

I still play BF4, but I've given up completely on it for things like conquest or rush or obliteration or indeed any game mode in which there's a point to the gameplay other than "point and click on the guy on the other team". For TDM or domination, it's a reasonable modern equivalent to quake arena. It's probably not even the best (hell BF3 is better and how the hell did that happen?). So right now it's the game I play when I want to spend ten or twenty minutes with my higher brain functions taking a few minutes off before bedtime after a long day and I can't afford the "I'll just play one round... how the hell is it 4am?!?!" experience of XCom.

That's one hell of a fall for a game that came from the amount of fun BFBC2 was.

(And again, another previous version that's more fun and which still has lots of players. Someone, somewhere, seriously screwed the pooch with this game...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Sparks wrote: »
    What you'll see in there is a game that has superior movement mechanics, superior graphical quality, superior vehicle mechanics, superior ballistics modelling, more vehicles, more boats, more submarines, more aircraft, more helicopters, more everything than BF4. Incuding more players - 120 players in one game is something you see on public servers fairly often without everything falling over.

Yeah, and ABSOLUTELY SH!T netcode! :D

Yeah, and ABSOLUTELY SH!T netcode! :D

So (a) netcode, pffft, and (b) I've never been shot while in cover in Arma3. Ever. Literally, not once.

In BF4 it still happens every time I play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Good video and I agree with him but I think you're expecting too much from the BF genre. BF has become a casual game due to it's age which is fine with me and it's why I play it and still enjoy it. Even though I like the instant gratification of BF4 I would really love it if Dice allowed for mods as you could create some more serious game modes that force you to work with your squad and perhaps even add Arma style mechanics like the head look. Good mods would help steer the development of future BF games

Good video and I agree with him but I think you're expecting too much from the BF genre. BF has become a casual game due to it's age which is fine with me and it's why I play it and still enjoy it. Even though I like the instant gratification of BF4 I would really love it if Dice allowed for mods as you could create some more serious game modes that force you to work with your squad and perhaps even add Arma style mechanics like the head look. Good mods would help steer the development of future BF games

I really don't get why developers don't implement modding into all new games, especially with what happened with DayZ, which caused hundreds of thousands if not millions of extra sales of Arma 2.

• Advertisement

I really don't get why developers don't implement modding into all new games, especially with what happened with DayZ, which caused hundreds of thousands if not millions of extra sales of Arma 2.

Costs more time to write code that allows for that. Crowds like EA aren't interested in spending that time to get a game with longevity, when they could just rush some hacked-together crap out the door before proper testing is done and sell early access and premium ownership models on it and then replace it in a year or so with the next version from the next bunch of overworked developers. Games that last for years just don't make the same amount of per-quarter profit, and if the company collapses because nobody buys their product, why would any executive care? They got their bonuses, sold their stock and moved on a quarter after the damage was done...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Because there is a risk involved and the sole intention of a publisher like EA is to maximise profit for shareholders. The conservative approach is to lock the game down for short term profit built on marketinng hype before it can get cracked. The only reason BF4 has received any support is to ensure future sales. The developers might care but the publisher alrwadynhas your money.

Adding mod support may extend a games life and limit demand for future products as well as adding considerable cost. Publishers sell you books not the printing press. They want to control the flow of content.

The likes of Bohemia and Valve can do what they do because their culture and business model allows them to. Valve make a ton of cash from Free to Play Dota2 and TF2 because they've cracked the micro transaction thing but their staff is built from modders rather than accountants.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Jesus that EA story is brutal. I am actually shocked. I know everyone complains about EA but I never really knew how bad it was.

Thats an eye opener...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Anyone hear about ea select people getting second assault (I think) free ?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Yep, here's the link Free Second Assault

Would have thought it was quite uncommon to give away dlc like this ? Guess they're trying to drum up a few more sales of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The full game plus premium was available for 27 quid on the PS4 for a while so that would have been a better deal if anything

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Anyone hear about ea select people getting second assault (I think) free ?

Good shout on this.

Being on Access, not having bought Premium(but then buying 3 of the DLC's individually) and skipping this one due to it's previous appearance this offer gets a big thumbs up from me.
    Another 4 maps to the rotation.
    Mad_Dave wrote: »
    Yep, here's the link Free Second Assault

Would have thought it was quite uncommon to give away dlc like this ? Guess they're trying to drum up a few more sales of the game.

Would hazard a guess it's strictly to do with the replication of the maps from the not to distant BF3.
    A lot like myself who didn't get Premium wouldn't have forked out for it, so it's a decent way to rejig interest.

I was still playing regularly so it's handy to have a few ''new'' maps.
    I always loved Op' Firestorm, the BF3 version of Silk Road which is my favourite 4 map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I was all interested until I seen it was op locker :p

I know what you mean...I am generally an infantry-only player though :)

I know what you mean...I am generally always an infantry Operation Locker-only player though :)
    :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

:P

Ah be fair hes not only a Op Locker player , there is 6 other maps in his last 15 that weren't locker :P:P:P:P:P:P

I jest :D

Ah be fair hes not only a Op Locker player , there is 6 other maps in his last 15 that weren't locker :P:P:P:P:P:P

I jest :D

Thank you! :D

Hang on, that says you were using a SCAR-H! You camping-from-across-the-map git, get your ass to a pistols-only server and play a real game :P

Hang on, that says you were using a SCAR-H! You camping-from-across-the-map git, get your ass to a pistols-only server and play a real game :P

Nope, up close and personal :)

Besides, if I was on a pistol only server I'd be using the Magnum, so it'd be more "camping-from-across-the-map" :D

• Advertisement

You'd be the only one, everyone on pistols servers these days are using deagles. No variation. Boring as a boring thing.

I play pistol only fairly regularly and am very rarely killed with a Deagle...what server do you play on?

Depends on what's got open slots (toddlers and waiting twenty minutes for a game do not mix): BF4DB #2 or #3 or sometimes URCK. But half the time there's no free slots these days and I wind up in TDM or domination games with all weapons and it's a UCAVfest, or you get hosed by someone with 90fps on their ultra-everything-1900x1600 display and an ACW-R, while you're sitting there at 25fps with a 1024x768 screen with everything on low in the graphics settings. So it's losing its appeal. On the pistols servers, lower-spec hardware and good tactics at least have a chance against the SLI rigs...

Ouch, with that performance you are not really playing the same game as eveyone else.

Nope, I'm definitely not. I'll get occasional spikes on small maps to almost 50fps, but I'll also gets spikes where it drops to 10fps as well. And this is better than when the game launched. The machine's got a 560Ti, it should be doing better, but I'm CPU-limited and I've not found a better AM3 socket CPU yet (I keep looking for an X6 or X8 athlon on ebay, but anytime I see one, either it's out of my price range or it's gone before payday rolls around). And no, I'm not buying a new rig, it'd cost as much as 2-3 months of creche fees! :D

Also, oddly, I don't get this in Arma3 at all. I get a perfectly playable framerate even when flying helos on pub servers with a hundred other players in KOTH or whatever. Which I do not understand.

These days, if I ever have the time (usually on days off during the week or if the toddler drops off to sleep early), I just fire up Arma3, Xcom or Kerbal Space Program instead. Less frustrating, but they eat time. BF4 has become the you-have-20-minutes-to-blow-off-steam-before-bedtime game, and that's starting to make me understand why capcom make so much money...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Nope, I'm definitely not. I'll get occasional spikes on small maps to almost 50fps, but I'll also gets spikes where it drops to 10fps as well. And this is better than when the game launched. The machine's got a 560Ti, it should be doing better, but I'm CPU-limited and I've not found a better AM3 socket CPU yet (I keep looking for an X6 or X8 athlon on ebay, but anytime I see one, either it's out of my price range or it's gone before payday rolls around). And no, I'm not buying a new rig, it'd cost as much as 2-3 months of creche fees! :D

Also, oddly, I don't get this in Arma3 at all. I get a perfectly playable framerate even when flying helos on pub servers with a hundred other players in KOTH or whatever. Which I do not understand.

These days, if I ever have the time (usually on days off during the week or if the toddler drops off to sleep early), I just fire up Arma3, Xcom or Kerbal Space Program instead. Less frustrating, but they eat time. BF4 has become the you-have-20-minutes-to-blow-off-steam-before-bedtime game, and that's starting to make me understand why capcom make so much money...

You should try Insurgency runs on source so your phone will probably run it :)

Funny you should mention that, I had been watching some youtube of it from the shacktac guys and thinking it might be worth giving it a try...

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

We play it pretty regularly. Its really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Is the new Shanghai night map coming to consoles or is it PC only? Are we getting any more night maps or is it just a one off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Is the new Shanghai night map coming to consoles or is it PC only? Are we getting any more night maps or is it just a one off?

As far as I know, the Shanghai map will be on the CTE very soon. It was meant to be available last week but a last minute hitch scuppered their plans. So for the immediate future, it'll be a PC exclusive. DICE are trying to get a CTE on the current gen consoles, PS4/XB1, but with licensing issues etc I wouldn't hold my breath.

Highly unlikely it'll be a one off thing. With the Premium calendar extended for another 12 months and lots of talk about additional content including plus tweets from DICE developers about night time gadgets, I'd reckon we could see a full night orientated dlc sooner rather than later.

Advertisement